Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

camoseven posted:

https://youtu.be/hsmLpsC0Rrk

This was from like a week ago I guess? But I just saw it and holy poo poo what a disaster. gently caress video replay, man. What a monkeys paw that has turned out to be.

This is insane. I mean good call to fix the issue. "the goalie has to be sad all over again"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

camoseven posted:

https://youtu.be/hsmLpsC0Rrk

This was from like a week ago I guess? But I just saw it and holy poo poo what a disaster. gently caress video replay, man. What a monkeys paw that has turned out to be.

Most leagues have rules specifically related to this thing. VAR in soccer is done once play restarts or the referee leaves the field of play. That’s game over. The NCAA rule book has something similar, once the teams are in the locker room after the game is declared finished it’s done. Additionally, the Video Review section states that once play is restarted you can no longer review it. So because “play restarted/ended” by the teams entering the locker rooms, that was done and dusted.

So this is something completely outside the rule book and was done by the CCHA committee. The referees declared the game done after the Video Review was completed. Anything after that would be covered by competition rules and ultimately what Don Lucia and the committee decides about making it right. They don’t have a competition rule book published, and I have many doubts about it being done the right way. Game was over, they just hosed it up twice instead of once. I’m very surprised the referees allowed restarting the game at all. This seems odd, but we spent a lot of time covering this sort of stuff on the NCAA soccer refereeing side of things, so I’m baffled by this one.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Denver is through to the frozen four after a war with Minn-Duluth, snapping a 4-year streak of Duluth going to the Frozen Four. Minnesota State shut out Notre Dame and are in as well, this will be their second straight FF visit.

Minnesota vs. WMU is tomorrow at 4PM, Michigan vs. Q'Pac at 6:30 or following the end of Minn/WMU. Both games on ESPN2.

Denver will get the Michigan/Q'Pac winner, Minn State will play the Minnesota/WMU winner.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Mar 27, 2022

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Michigan trying REAL hard to blow it.

E: Fun game, lots of empty netters.

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Mar 28, 2022

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I'm going to laugh so loving hard if Michigan blows a 4-0 lead

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ah well

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Yeah, it was getting pretty hilarious for a second there.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Michigan absolutely looks beatable and good defenses can beat them. They went 1-4 against Notre Dame and Denver is absolutely phenomenal at suppressing shots.

E: They're by no means a pushover, it should be an absolute war of a game and probably entertaining as hell, but boy they've got a lot to clean up if Q'Pac nearly came back on them like that.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Mar 28, 2022

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

The team I am most worried about now after that Michigan display is UMN. And they don't really inspire much confidence right now. But...Mankato has seemingly suffered a power outage in scoring at the exact wrong time. I know it's because they aren't feasting on CCHA defenses anymore but we will see how this goes.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Minn State definitely scored plenty on a down CCHA this year but they’re genuine possession monsters and smother the hell out of the neutral zone. Power play is like 27% too.

That game with defense-heavy Notre Dame was always going to be a low scoring grind.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
If it makes you feel any better, when I saw Mankato was the matchup in the semifinals I did groan a little. It’s going to be a really tough game, but I’m not expecting the Gophers to get through it unless they find some 60 minutes of absolute excellence. It could happen, but it just feels like it’s going to be disappointment again.

Wouldn’t surprise me at all if it was Mankato and Michigan in the final, but I’ll hope until then.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Denver/Michigan is likely gonna be a track meet, and Michigan's in serious trouble if they come off the gas again in the 3rd like they did against AIC and Q'Pac.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
at the end of the day they're michigan so

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/THNRyanKennedy/status/1509223216438517774

wow that was quick. Feel like he was barely there 2 seasons.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

DJExile posted:

https://twitter.com/THNRyanKennedy/status/1509223216438517774

wow that was quick. Feel like he was barely there 2 seasons.

BU gonna bring back Quinn?

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

He was there 4 years and that's Hockey East, I guess. It felt odd to see the "not the direction we want" when they've gone from 16-18-4 to 19-13-3 in his tenure but I guess that's why I don't run hockey programs.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

BU went 10-5-1 in a dramatically shorted covid year where they didn't play any games until January, and they were really strong the 2nd half of this year.

I guess getting blown out by trash rear end Maine in the last regular season game didn't sit well.

E: oh my god the box score from that game is wild. 64 combined penalty minutes, and BU giving up 4 goals on 17 shots in the 1st period. Yeah I can see this being a last-straw kind of thing.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 31, 2022

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I was getting all excited and sat down to turn on mid-way through Denver v Michigan before the real Minnesota v Minnesota school that no one likes and then I was sad when I realized they play next Thursday. I'm not sure why there's 11 days between games, but that's just a bummer.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Jhet posted:

I was getting all excited and sat down to turn on mid-way through Denver v Michigan before the real Minnesota v Minnesota school that no one likes and then I was sad when I realized they play next Thursday. I'm not sure why there's 11 days between games, but that's just a bummer.

They have to go to class

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

camoseven posted:

They have to go to class

I know, but spring breaks aren’t standard, so they’re missing days next week anyway.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

They usually do it this way so it doesn't line up with the men and women's basketball final four.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

spwrozek posted:

They usually do it this way so it doesn't line up with the men and women's basketball final four.

It’s this, yeah

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Bobby Brink, Dryden McKay, or Ben Meyers are left for the Hobey Baker.

Not a bad field left for it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Feel like it's Bobby's to lose, but who can tell with the voters.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
McKay was a runner up to Caufield last year, so I wouldn’t be surprised to see him get it either.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Jhet posted:

Minnesota school that no one likes

The what?

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
gently caress

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

lol B1G

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
great loving game between DU and UM tonight. feel very fortunate to come out of that one with a win. bring on the State of Minnesota

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Teemu Pokemon posted:

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

lol B1G

Whelp, see whoever at the game on Saturday!

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

Teemu Pokemon posted:

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Huh, Mankato's never won a D1 championship? Guess I'll back them in the final over Denver getting their 9th.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah Mankato has only been D1 since 1996. They had a lot of success at the DII and DIII levels through the 70s and 80s.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

habeasdorkus posted:

Huh, Mankato's never won a D1 championship? Guess I'll back them in the final over Denver getting their 9th.

And they play like an absolute buzz saw.

Only thing that bothered me is the referees decided to just attend the game. There were some easy calls on possible scoring plays that should have been made both directions, but nope. Maybe they're hoping to get NHL assignments for the playoffs.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

It's the CCHA and all that, but yeah Mankato plays very big and very heavy. They average less than 1.3 goals against per game and their PK is a hair under 87%. Minnesota only had 17 shots all game in the semifinal.

Mike Hastings has done a world class job with that program.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

We can never let him leave....but he is super off to the NHL in the next 3-5 years i feel.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mankato goalie Dryden McKay won the Hobey Baker, he's the first goalie to win it since Ryan Miller in 2001. Oddly enough he did not win the Richter award for best goalie, that went to Devon Levi of Northeastern.

CHN posted:

For those that have asked a million times, there are two entirely set of voters for the two awards, which explains the discrepency. As it is, it's been splitting hairs trying to pick the major award winners this season, and you could make a case for upwards of 15 players to win the Hobey. College Hockey News named McKay the First Team All-CHN this season, with Massachusetts' Bobby Trivigno the Player of the Year.

Of course McKay has had the steadiest and most consistently good seasons of anyone in his four years, though this is his first national individual honor.

His save percentages have never led the country, but they have been .927, .942, .924 and .934 in his four seasons. Shutout numbers are 4, 10, 10 and 10. He's won a total of 113 NCAA games, which is third all-time, and might be No. 1 if not for the COVID-19 pandemic shortening two seasons.

This year has been his most complete and most consistent. McKay is 38-4-0 with a 1.27 goals against average and .934 save percentage.

McKay is an undrafted free agent and is expected to go pro after this season, but could theoretically return to MSU for a fifth year

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Jesus loving christ you stupid motherfuckers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Holy hell what a rally by Denver, that’s brutal for Mankato