Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/bc_mhockey/status/1514325045597786112?s=21&t=J6ptd55EGYQZLrn2bQmWpg

End of one hell of an era

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
https://www.espn.com/college-sports...-rule-violation

So this is embarrassing bullshit from the NCAA.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The NCAA cleared him to continue playing, the suspension ruling was the USADA's.

He's turning pro anyway so the NCAA doesn't really have any jurisdiction on him.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Apr 19, 2022

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I read it as they cleared him to play pending the investigation, but they did when the test results came back before the olympics. Which means they left him to complete the season even after the results came back. The NCAA even covers the banned substance not on the label defense and it doesn’t matter. It’s still an offense and they didn’t treat it as one.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

On the list of things the NCAA has hosed up over its history, letting a guy play hockey (a sport they frankly don't give a poo poo about in the first place) because he has only one iota of a banned substance in his system is like waaaayyy down at the bottom.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

DJExile posted:

On the list of things the NCAA has hosed up over its history, letting a guy play hockey (a sport they frankly don't give a poo poo about in the first place) because he has only one iota of a banned substance in his system is like waaaayyy down at the bottom.

Maybe it's me just expecting tolerance levels for this to be zero. Then again, maybe we should be expecting it to be zero tolerance. Along with expecting the NCAA to stop loving up all the other things too. The part that bothers me is that this is one of the easiest things to be completely clear about. They even give training about not taking things you don't know about, and "natural supplements" being really bad at not putting everything on the labels.

If I were part of the Bemidji State team or the other Hobey Baker finalists, I know I'd be really disappointed with this.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Pandolfo got hired as coach of BU. Good for him, gently caress BU, but he'll probably do well there. He and Madden coaching is the least surprising thing ever.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/CCHAHockey/status/1526578544771571715

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
here's some fuckin trivia for you boys eh

https://twitter.com/chrismpeters/status/1541255494349766657

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

That's an odd flex, but people do it all the time.

It'd be a better flex to compare Hobey Baker winners or something that actually happens while within the program and not years later. So the real one hidden in there is Cale Makar is the only guy to have won both.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
miami is the only school to graduate a NHL captain, a hobey baker winner, a stanley cup winning goal scorer, and a us president but at least cale didn't go to lowell

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
The thing is that a lot of these guys don’t actually graduate with a degree, so it’s much less impressive than it all sounds. It’s super that they played there for two years, but I could have gone to Harvard for two years, not finished, and you’d look at me like I was crazy if I tried to brag about it.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

i specifically said graduate because miami is an actual institution of higher learning ho hum

although i am reasonably certain they're the only school with those 3 regardless of the issuance of a degree

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Teemu Pokemon posted:

i specifically said graduate because miami is an actual institution of higher learning ho hum

although i am reasonably certain they're the only school with those 3 regardless of the issuance of a degree

You might be right, but of the names in that tweet only Ken Dryden graduated from the school. It’s absolutely something that happens, but it’s only in sports where not finishing the degree doesn’t matter for the bragging.

I’d have to dig into the rosters from the 80s to see how the Gophers did on ticking all those boxes except the president part. We just have Walter Mondale and I don’t think Neil Broten graduated. He did win the first Hobey Baker and is still the only guy to win a National Championship, an Olympic Gold, and the Stanley Cup (where he scored the series winner).

Jhet fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jun 29, 2022

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Jhet posted:

The thing is that a lot of these guys don’t actually graduate with a degree, so it’s much less impressive than it all sounds. It’s super that they played there for two years, but I could have gone to Harvard for two years, not finished, and you’d look at me like I was crazy if I tried to brag about it.

the schools aren't the ones bragging though it's literally just some beat reporter that found a mildly interesting fact.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/Johnubacon/status/1554469915163246592

Get the gently caress out, Mel!

E: Bacon did a thread summarizing it if his website is still down.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

And Mel has been fired.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
https://twitter.com/Johnubacon/status/1556371461866143745?s=20&t=zJSUxglpwRsI73VinFRdDA
who

clean ayers act fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Aug 7, 2022

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Short maybe of Harvard, absolutely nobody is more up their rear end about their own alumni than Michigan, holy poo poo

I get that you couldn't officially be interviewing people before canning Mel but yeah like John said they sat on this poo poo until their hand was forced from the leak. It wasn't even FOIA'd.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DJExile posted:

Short maybe of Harvard, absolutely nobody is more up their rear end about their own alumni than Michigan, holy poo poo

I get that you couldn't officially be interviewing people before canning Mel but yeah like John said they sat on this poo poo until their hand was forced from the leak. It wasn't even FOIA'd.

Funny way of spelling Ohio State

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

iospace posted:

Funny way of spelling Ohio State

Ohio State is up their own rear end about an indefinite article and yeah they can get dumb as hell about the past but they aren't going to a past coach's grave once a year with hammers and nuts.

The "Michigan Man" bullshit has done a frankly hilarious amount of self-owns to the school at this rate and they just cannot stop doing it.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

dj post the new thread because the hawks are back baby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

no