Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Metroid Dread comes out today. I am incredibly excited for it! Once I post this thread I'm gonna be headed off to play it (assuming it's arrived in the mail by the time of posting :pray: ). However, 19 years ago, the stage for Dread was set by its much less assuming predecessor, Metroid Fusion. This game was an incredibly moody entry in the series, emphasizing mystery and story, and allowing Samus to speak and think at length to react to the events unfolding around her. We received some in-depth canonical backstory for her for the first time, and learned a bit about certain interpersonal relationships her character had had before the Metroid series even takes place. We all know by now that Other M kind of ruined a lot of what Fusion set up in terms of plot and cahracterization, but at the time of Fusion's release it was all received fairly well. And Fusion certainly stands on its own, even though it launched on the same day as Metroid Prime. In no way is Fusion any lesser of a game for being on the GBA. They pushed that little handheld hard and delivered an excellent entry in the series unlike any other, and placed us at the farthest point in the Metroid timeline for nearly two decades.

In preparation for Dread's launch, I decided to replay Fusion, and brought along my old friend Faerie Fortune, who you may remember from our Metroid Primes 1 and 2 LPs a few years ago, to continue showing her more of the series I love so much. This is a casual playthrough, and we're recording the whole thing live on my Twitch channel, so there is some casual conversation with my chat as we play. We've already recorded about half of the game in one streaming session, since Fusion is not an incredibly long game. I'll be uploading videos with a rapid pace, when I'm not too engrossed in Dread to update my thread. You can talk spoilers about Fusion, but no spoilers about Metroid Dread in the slightest!

FPzero fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Dec 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
Regarding the Metroid infusion, if Samus was half-human, half-Chozo before, then she got injected with 100% Metroid, that means that she's half-Metroid, 1/4 human, 1/4 Chozo. The numbers don't lie.

Anyway, happy to see an LP of this taking off. Metroid Fusion is my favorite of the non-Prime Metroid games, thanks in large part to its atmosphere and storytelling. Before Dread, it was one of the first attempts at doing more of a horror vibe and I thought it was really cool as a kid.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Just watching this first video is making me want to replay AM2R again.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Oh, this should be fun.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Fun tech fact:

This game is built on top of the Wario Land 4 engine. If you dig into the code you can even find just a few remainders of the Wario Land tileset.

It's kinda crazy to me because the games seem so very different on the surface.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Carbon dioxide posted:

Fun tech fact:

This game is built on top of the Wario Land 4 engine. If you dig into the code you can even find just a few remainders of the Wario Land tileset.

Huh, never would've guessed. They do seem quite different, but looking it up, it seems that both Wario Land 4 and Fusion were both made by Nintendo R&D1, with a number of the same staff being used in each game. Given that the programming crew for Fusion has the same head programmer, I guess it makes sense they'd reuse code they knew.

Looking it up on TCRF, apparently the Playstation mascot cat is also in the game's graphics for some reason.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
This game is underrated in the Metroid franchise and Metroidvania genre IMO.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

C-Euro posted:

This game is underrated in the Metroid franchise and Metroidvania genre IMO.

It gets a lot of deserved flack for its one big flaw (the narrative breadcrumbs being too close together and too simple to hide the route you're taking, other games in the series are just as linear in "proper" path but allow you to get lost along the way), but everything else about this game is solid.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

It's fun to imagine everything that must've been involved in "found a cure."

"Hey, let's rub some metroid on it. Not like it'll make her any worse."

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Fusion rules. I think if you're just watching someone go through it in this LP format, it may seem like it's super linear and railroady, but honestly, when I played it as a kid, I got super lost and stuck a LOT. There's a lot of situations where it gives you a pretty large area to roam around in and basically tells you "figure out how to progress, have fun". Just because you know where the next goal is doesn't mean that the way there is at all obvious.

The story cutscenes and all the text blow, yeah, but it's still a credit to the game that despite you talking to an overbearing rear end in a top hat all the time, you STILL have an insanely tense, lonely and oppressive atmosphere. Or maybe it helps because Adam is no help at all.

Odd Wilson posted:

Huh, never would've guessed. They do seem quite different, but looking it up, it seems that both Wario Land 4 and Fusion were both made by Nintendo R&D1, with a number of the same staff being used in each game. Given that the programming crew for Fusion has the same head programmer, I guess it makes sense they'd reuse code they knew.

Looking it up on TCRF, apparently the Playstation mascot cat is also in the game's graphics for some reason.
It starts making a lot more sense if you look for graphical similarities - the background/foreground division is very similar, how crisp edges of sprites are drawn, stuff like that.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

:eng101: the suit is blue because that's what's underneath all the orange armour - it's the same blue jumpsuit that Samus is wearing when she's in the zero suit (like in Smash and stuff)

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The Suit is weird-rear end Chozo biotech, sort of like how Samus is some kind of Chozo hybrid superhuman. She's incredibly tough without it, and together they're the most powerful thing in the galaxy.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

wiegieman posted:

The Suit is weird-rear end Chozo biotech, sort of like how Samus is some kind of Chozo hybrid superhuman. She's incredibly tough without it, and together they're the most powerful thing in the galaxy.

The Metroid games have been a Buddy Movie this whole time.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Hi Ship-chan!

I've never actually played Fusion but I feel like I know it well enough just from, like, discourse osmosis by this point. I'm a huge sucker for any decently established series pulling off an unflinching thematic examination of itself, the more on-the-nose the better. I feel like I'd be a lot more annoyed about Computer Adam if I hadn't played Other M and had it put into perspective how good we had it.

Dread is On My List, but I'm busy, and always there are Too Many Video Games.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Me and a friend (who are deep into the randomizer by now) have concluded that with Samus gaining cold vulnerability and the ability to absorb X parasites, she is now the last living Metroid in the galaxy.

This may be relevant for Metroid Dread, given that there are apparently a number of rogue DNA-extracting robots running around.

PS: When you next get back to the main deck, be sure to check out that morph ball passage you walked by. There could be something good hidden there...!

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Bruceski posted:

It's fun to imagine everything that must've been involved in "found a cure."

"Hey, let's rub some metroid on it. Not like it'll make her any worse."
the metroid escaped and started causing havoc as usual when those nerds do anything, they just wrote it up as deliberate exposure.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Oh hey a new Metroid LP, neato. I should probably hurry up in TWEWY NEO so I can Dread.

Carbon dioxide posted:

Fun tech fact:

:psyduck:

Fedule posted:

Hi Ship-chan!

I've never actually played Fusion but I feel like I know it well enough just from, like, discourse osmosis by this point. I'm a huge sucker for any decently established series pulling off an unflinching thematic examination of itself, the more on-the-nose the better. I feel like I'd be a lot more annoyed about Computer Adam if I hadn't played Other M and had it put into perspective how good we had it.

Dread is On My List, but I'm busy, and always there are Too Many Video Games.

Computer Adam is fine, since Samus calls out his bullshit whenever she smells it.

E:

90s Cringe Rock posted:

the metroid escaped and started causing havoc as usual when those nerds do anything, they just wrote it up as deliberate exposure.

considering that the last Metroid imprinted on Samus back in 2 what probably happened is that the metroid bust out to save mommy and the researchers, as you said, pretended it was the plan all along.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Oct 9, 2021

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.
The Galactic Federation is in many respects the more benign version of Weyland-Yutani, constantly toying around with dangerous organisms that subsequently turn around and make them into lunch. Their only saving grace is that they have a dedicated one-woman cleanup crew on speed dial to deal with their mess-ups.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Blastinus posted:

The Galactic Federation is in many respects the more benign version of Weyland-Yutani, constantly toying around with dangerous organisms that subsequently turn around and make them into lunch. Their only saving grace is that they have a dedicated one-woman cleanup crew on speed dial to deal with their mess-ups.

And this is the game that launched all the discourse about the galfed being both secretly malicious and doing all of the chozo's mistakes but faster and without and complete knowledge of what they're messing with.

I love this game and my memory of it grows fonder as time goes on.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Blastinus posted:

Their only saving grace is that they have a dedicated one-woman cleanup crew on speed dial to deal with their mess-ups.

I never played the game, but they also did try to duplicate that one-woman crew's armour, perhaps so she could take days off every now and then.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

The X have invaded Sector 1 and are clearly too OP for this area.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.
You mentioned it as a theory in passing, but I think that the reason why Space Pirates are on the station is the same reason why they've got Ridley on ice. It wouldn't be too much of a stretch to think that they could have acquired Space Pirate DNA and were keeping it in, like a desk drawer somewhere. After all, that first boss we fought, Arachnus, was an X version of a boss in Metroid 2. There's probably all kinds of test samples just sitting around that the X could have munched on and duplicated.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Blastinus posted:

You mentioned it as a theory in passing, but I think that the reason why Space Pirates are on the station is the same reason why they've got Ridley on ice. It wouldn't be too much of a stretch to think that they could have acquired Space Pirate DNA and were keeping it in, like a desk drawer somewhere. After all, that first boss we fought, Arachnus, was an X version of a boss in Metroid 2. There's probably all kinds of test samples just sitting around that the X could have munched on and duplicated.

I thought they would have been exposed to the X parasites when they first got hold of the Metroids from their home planet prior to the first game. Given what we know of the pirates' operational safety standards, it wouldn't surprise me. Unless I'm remembering wrong and the Federation discovered them first, then the pirates stole them for their own use.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Meaty Ore posted:

I thought they would have been exposed to the X parasites when they first got hold of the Metroids from their home planet prior to the first game. Given what we know of the pirates' operational safety standards, it wouldn't surprise me. Unless I'm remembering wrong and the Federation discovered them first, then the pirates stole them for their own use.

The best explanation we're ever given as to why that didn't happen is that the Metroid population was keeping the X population severely beaten down. Unfortunately, Metroids were the X's only natural predator, and well... this is what happens when a species with the ability to rapidly infect, kill and reproduce becomes the apex predator.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Materant posted:

The best explanation we're ever given as to why that didn't happen is that the Metroid population was keeping the X population severely beaten down. Unfortunately, Metroids were the X's only natural predator, and well... this is what happens when a species with the ability to rapidly infect, kill and reproduce becomes the apex predator.

From the Chozo Memories in Samus Returns. The X Parasites were originally deep underground were they were more or less harmless. The Chozo unsealing them made them a threat to the whole planet and possibly universe until they made the Metroids to counter them. Of course then the Metroid's started evolving into an uncontrollable form, so they were forced to seal and abandon them as well.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

loving love Metroid Fusion, it’s an absolute blast to play every time I pick it up, I love the narrative elements at play with both the terror and fighting against the very shadow of its predecessor Super Metroid, and it’s actually a Metroid game that challenges me in the combat beats which helps keep me engaged with the flow of progression.

As for the links to Other M, I don’t feel like it hurts this game in the slightest for the simple reason that the devs at Nintendo seem intent to ignore it as much as I do, so I’m cool with playing that game.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Blastinus posted:

Its kinda easy to excuse the Weyland-Yutani type practices of the galactic federation given how Prime 3 turned out. I kinda got a headcanon that the aftermath of the phazon crisis was the tipping point for the federation becoming so reckless with its research.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Faerie Fortune posted:

I got stuck in the morph ball room because I can't read tutorials.

I feel this with every fibre of my being.

I wall jumped out of the morph ball room, got stuck because I didn't understand that certain blocks could be shot with a normal beam and then jumped back into the morph ball room thinking I needed to find morph ball bombs. Which I then proceeded to get stuck in for 10 minutes.

(Also I presume the second video is meant to still be unlisted?)

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Oct 11, 2021

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

It wasn't, which is strange because I could've sworn I changed it to public when I published it here. It saved me adding it to the series playlist so :shrug:

Metroid Dread update: Still hasn't arrived for me :negative: It missed the initial delivery and FedEx just never updated the tracking Friday evening. Hopefully it arrives today because it's a new business day.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

definitely a bit late on it, but yeah, people were weird about giving poo poo to fusion in terms of blaming it for other m's existence in terms of the commanding officer stuff, but fusion never gets into any of the insanely weird territory that other m did in the least so i never understood that. i guess people wanted something to blame as to what all had 'killed' the series for so long, but now that dread is out i'd say we've pretty safely broken the weird sense of malaise that had hung over it for the longest time.

funnily, it reminds me of the silent hill series and how people tended to give poo poo to silent hill 4 (which i personally like a lot, for the record) for supposedly not living up to the first 3, but then all the games after it came out and a lot of people who had trashed it before came to realize that at least 4 was more of an actual silent hill game than they'd given it credit for.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
One thing about fusion is that with almost 20 years without a sequel and fandom speculation on what her suit would become in relation to samus's metroidness has lead to quite a bit of speculative fanfiction and fanart. A lot of people had the three spikes on the left arm become metroid talons or something she would slash with and lifedrain with.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I finally got my copy of Dread and have since beaten it and it's absolutely amazing.

Oh yeah and we fight a fast fish.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Nice thumbnail.

That video's also unlisted, btw

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I think there's zero good fish bosses in Metroidvania games and Serris is no exception. At least it dies in, like, four hits.

Anyway, you're obviously blasting through the game, but I remember from playing as a kid, fully blind and not used to genre/series conventions, it's actually pretty hard to find your way sometimes? Like for example the pillars that rise from the floor when you bomb the spot they extend from - there's no indication they're there, and why would the bomb do that? I ran circles around TRO for HOURS until I discovered the mechanic by accident, then promptly forgot it for later puzzles (though those were optional and you can skip e.g. the one you show in this video by having a later upgrade).

Also generally how to get around in AQA, lots of destructible blocks that you don't really know ARE destructible, it's definitely not clear where exactly progress will be so it's not like there's the one room where you obviously HAVE to find the one block you can shoot through...

It's tough but generally pretty good, and awesome if you find progress of course. Way less overtly linear if you don't actually know where the path is, haha.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

there were definitely some spots when i was a kid where i got stuck for a bit and endlessly looped back to places i had access to but couldn't do anything with. an unfortunate aspect of the game being built more linear is that you can't even make progress in another path and come back to what stopped you earlier, you basically have to figure out the one specific thing that will let you move forward or else you're going to be stuck. sector 4 definitely stumped me for a while since you have to take kind of a roundabout path to even get to where they want you to go at the serris enclosure.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I'm amazed Sora got into Smash but it feels a bit hollow that there's absolutely no Disney characters to go along with him, not even his important buds Donald and Goofy. Like, I get it, but it's still kinda sad.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I've heard that if you can get through all the Dune series then looking back it's got an arc and a purpose, but that requires getting through everything and even the fans agree that's not easy.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

FPzero posted:

I'm amazed Sora got into Smash but it feels a bit hollow that there's absolutely no Disney characters to go along with him, not even his important buds Donald and Goofy. Like, I get it, but it's still kinda sad.

What do you mean? They're right here!

Also, the comment about getting Samus a coat reminded me I had this image of the greatest threat to the universe:

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Bruceski posted:

I've heard that if you can get through all the Dune series then looking back it's got an arc and a purpose, but that requires getting through everything and even the fans agree that's not easy.

I couldn’t get through the second, but apparently if you get through the first four you get the gist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Youtube randomly recommended a video to me and it felt like an SA LP so here I am.