Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

White Coke posted:

I couldn’t get through the second, but apparently if you get through the first four you get the gist.

I think I can see that, if I'm correct that's as far as I got. Where Leto II says "you were a lovely dad and a shittier emperor, Paul, you've left me to do what your foresight powers said you should've done but wanted petty revenge instead".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Zedd posted:

Youtube randomly recommended a video to me and it felt like an SA LP so here I am.

Hell yeah, welcome! Can't believe the zero seconds I spend doing SEO is finally paying off.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Bruceski posted:

I think I can see that, if I'm correct that's as far as I got. Where Leto II says "you were a lovely dad and a shittier emperor, Paul, you've left me to do what your foresight powers said you should've done but wanted petty revenge instead".
You got to the second too? Or the fourth (which is the one FP mentioned).

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

White Coke posted:

You got to the second too? Or the fourth (which is the one FP mentioned).

Whichever one he actually does it. I think that was the end of book 3, Children of Dune? I can't recall if I read God-Emperor or was warned off the rest of the series by a friend.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Stop reading Dune after the third book. You'll be much happier for it.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Geemer posted:

But God Emperor of Dune is the best book in the series??

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
In a more beautiful and daring world than ours, Denis Villeneue would be able to shoot a trilogy of Dune movies covering the first two books: two movies for OG Dune and one movie for Dune Messiah and its message of oops maybe instigating a planetary holy war to gain control of this world was a bad idea, one which I have quickly lost control of. But no movie studio would dare spend the money to complete that thematic arc.

As far as Fusion goes uhhhhhhhhhh I really like the sound that the Super Missiles make? It was also nice of them to just make your missiles stronger, instead of giving you two ammo types to track.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Oct 16, 2021

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
For some reason as a kid I thought Supers were a downgrade. I didn’t notice the firepower increase, but I did notice the lower firing speed. Somehow missed Adam outright saying its damage gets tripled. Missiles kind of lose out to Charge Beam once you get that but the Super upgrade makes them viable in combat again.

I believe that Missile Tank has more reliable ways to skip it now, so 0% runs are more feasibly possible to pull off with humans.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Araxxor posted:

For some reason as a kid I thought Supers were a downgrade. I didn’t notice the firepower increase, but I did notice the lower firing speed. Somehow missed Adam outright saying its damage gets tripled. Missiles kind of lose out to Charge Beam once you get that but the Super upgrade makes them viable in combat again.

I believe that Missile Tank has more reliable ways to skip it now, so 0% runs are more feasibly possible to pull off with humans.

Yeah, missiles and charge in this game have this neat threading where one's more powerful until you upgrade the other.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
They do add some nice utility to missiles in this game.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Geemer posted:

The Book Barn advice, which is accurate, is to read the Dune series until you get through a book and say either “meh” or “I didn’t like that.” Then stop, because the series only goes downhill with each book after the first (honorable mention for God Emperor which may, depending on taste, be better than Children of Dune).

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
As far as the comment about the Security Robot having an exposed brain goes, it's entirely possible that the Federation have been mucking about with trying to replicate Mother Brain's AI programming. Considering the events of Metroid: Other M, it's clear that the writers were thinking along those lines around this time.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Bruceski posted:

Yeah, missiles and charge in this game have this neat threading where one's more powerful until you upgrade the other.

While Zero Mission is my preferred of the two GBA games, it's an aspect of Fusion I like over Zero Mission. All your upgrades are relevant at various points in the game. And every beam and missile upgrade is a damage increase to keep the power curve going.

Zero Mission on the other hand... Charge Beam exists and was just nerfed so hard. It's pretty much just straight up worse than a missile and after you find enough missile tanks you don't have to worry about running out. Zero Mission is pretty much all about the missiles when it comes to combat unless there's an enemy they don't work on. Hell even Supers are absurd in that game and just shreds whatever they get directed at since they're quintuple damage.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

ulmont posted:

The Book Barn advice, which is accurate, is to read the Dune series until you get through a book and say either “meh” or “I didn’t like that.” Then stop, because the series only goes downhill with each book after the first (honorable mention for God Emperor which may, depending on taste, be better than Children of Dune).

I'd give a slight caveat of, if you don't like Dune Messiah, at least give Children of Dune a go. Messiah essentially sets the course for the rest of the series, but a lot of people, myself included, find it a slog to go through.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Fae and I have a fun friendship, and sharing dumb food back and forth is just one of the many good aspects of it.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

The X try to blow up the space station. How rude! We're supposed to be the ones blowing stuff up!

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

How do you know that Samus isn't a magical girl, though?

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Quackles posted:

How do you know that Samus isn't a magical girl, though?

Transformation sequence
Cute mascot that saves the day at least once
Gains new techniques that are used constantly after beating a tough foe
Something sacrifices itself to save her, giving her an ultimate attack
Special origin story
Magic weapon

Samus is 100% a Magical Girl

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

https://twitter.com/alecrobbins/status/1451047013626171395?s=21

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

The name "Shinespark" is actually used in Metroid Fusion, but you have to do some crazy sequence breaking bullshit in order to actually see it.

As for the origin of the name, I'm pretty sure it's from the Getter Robo attack of the same name.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zJgEn68oYE

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
"Fortunately 6 minutes is plenty of time."

I introduce you to being bad at Metroid.

Edit: I am so incredibly mad about the energy tank you got at 11:00. I spent 10+ minutes there trying to Shinespark my way to it with some bizarre method and there's just an invisible pole that you can only access by bombing?

Also clearly this one is Ship-Kun.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Oct 26, 2021

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

pointlessone posted:

Transformation sequence
Cute mascot that saves the day at least once
Gains new techniques that are used constantly after beating a tough foe
Something sacrifices itself to save her, giving her an ultimate attack
Special origin story
Magic weapon

Samus is 100% a Magical Girl

As of Fusion, she's a vampire Magical Girl.

(obligatory image)

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Natural 20 posted:

...my way to it with some bizarre method...

To be fair this was most of your interaction with the series, if I remember right.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Is it just on my end, or is Fae being drowned out by the BGM? I've a hard time hearing her :(

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I think she was leaned away from her mic a bit for a while and because of the simple streaming audio setup I can't raise her levels individually. I believe she gets closer to it soon after chat mentions the same thing.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Natural 20 posted:

"Fortunately 6 minutes is plenty of time."

I introduce you to being bad at Metroid.

Edit: I am so incredibly mad about the energy tank you got at 11:00. I spent 10+ minutes there trying to Shinespark my way to it with some bizarre method and there's just an invisible pole that you can only access by bombing?

Also clearly this one is Ship-Kun.
It's 3 min on hard :D

Also as I've said before the invisible bomb poles suck rear end and I don't get them. Why is there no indication. So stupid

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Simply Simon posted:

It's 3 min on hard :D

Also as I've said before the invisible bomb poles suck rear end and I don't get them. Why is there no indication. So stupid

They are kinda stupid. On the other hand, any Metroid player knows that the solution to every problem is to bomb everything, since bombs also reveal any sort of destructible block.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I played Fusion as my second Metroid (Super first) and that didn't make sense to me at all

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

And Metroids are just weird air lobsters.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I remember those lobster tanks in grocery stores too, and I'm in NJ. I, uh, haven't been in a grocery store in a while to check if they're still there though.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Those gross things/weird dogs at the end are actually a bonus boss in AM2R! :eng101:

In that game the one you fight soaks up a lot of damage.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Shellfish spoils super fast and doesnt freeze well whole and unprocessed, so the best way to keep them fresh is to keep them alive.
you also want them to void their digestive systems.

Note: Deveining shrimp and lobsters means taking out the poop tube

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Man, do I miss Vine. Tiktok just isn't the same by far.

Gonna be out of town for the next week so updates will only resume when I return.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
The ease with which you killed Yakuza and Nettori brings me so much anger.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

If it makes you feel any better, Yakuza always gets me too. I had less trouble with the SA-X on my recent playthrough. I'm looking forward to seeing how FP chumps Ridley though, because he's a right bastard in this game.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I remember having issues with Yakuza but that was when I played the game when I was 11 or so. Know I am not so sure how I would fare against it but hopefully it would be an easier fight.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I'm curious why the freeze functionality was put in Samus's missiles instead of her beam. My first thought was "to limit its use," but you've got a shitload of missiles, so it's not much of a limitation. Maybe to give you better control over what you're freezing? You can't turn on and off parts of your beam weapon's functionality in Fusion, after all.

Or maybe it is meant to make you ration your freezing a little more, it's just that you've got a shitload of missiles due to knowing where all the missile tanks are and how to get them, and someone doing this blind would have a considerably smaller maximum.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

MechaCrash posted:

I'm curious why the freeze functionality was put in Samus's missiles instead of her beam. My first thought was "to limit its use," but you've got a shitload of missiles, so it's not much of a limitation. Maybe to give you better control over what you're freezing? You can't turn on and off parts of your beam weapon's functionality in Fusion, after all.

Or maybe it is meant to make you ration your freezing a little more, it's just that you've got a shitload of missiles due to knowing where all the missile tanks are and how to get them, and someone doing this blind would have a considerably smaller maximum.

It's a plot concession. Samus is now super weak to cold, and her suit would reject the idea of having a potent freezing source generated on her person, at least while her suit is still in the hosed state it's in. Adam brings up that they considered giving you the Ice Beam, but rejected the idea eventually on that logical premise. However, they also came to the conclusion that having the freezing element delivered from a distance, like with Missiles, would be just fine, so they went and did that instead.

Materant fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Nov 3, 2021

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Yeah, but the only reason it's a plot concession is because they made it a plot concession. It's how they chose to explain it, but I'm wondering why they decided to bother in the first place, because I don't think anybody would've gone "hey, she's part Metroid, this makes no sense" because the rules for how things work when you're mostly human with a dash of Chozo and some Metroid on top is "whatever the writers say they are."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams
I mean, being fair, I've always heard slight complaints from various people playing Metroid games about the Ice Beam upgrade, specifically because it can be considered a downgrade; you get a utility function but you don't get to kill quite as quickly. While the same logic applies to the Ice Missiles vs. regular missiles, it may be a concession to that.