Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Was the closeup on Samus' face at the end a direct reference to the equivalent scene in Fusion? There was no surprise this time around, I'd say she knew she wasn't dealing with the real Adam from the first communication node.

AtomikKrab posted:

Well at least Raven Beak is honest about his intentions

Also he is an idiot,

he should have just killed Samus when she was unconscious and salvaged what he could.

I think this his greed blowing up in his face.
He had Samus, he had her Metroid magic DNA*, but it would have taken some time to breed the new babies metroids, so he decided that letting the Queen live was a good idea.

*obligatory Morbo voice: "genetics do not work that way"

Bruceski posted:

"My daughter, I was the source of your DNA."
"So were at least six other things and they were all better parents than you. Including the X."
"Where were you when Ridley killed my human parents or my bird parents"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Twelve by Pies posted:

To be fair this does ignore the fact that if you get caught by an EMMI they do kill Samus, which I guess is a little bit of story and gameplay incongruity. Or I guess you can take it as "Samus isn't as good as Raven Beak thought she was but hey at least he gets Metroid DNA as a consolation prize and she won't be around to stop him."

raven beak: "if you aren't strong enough to kill these stupid robots those idiots in government sent here, you aren't worth my time."

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Twelve by Pies posted:

He wanted her, the ultimate Metroid

The super metroid?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

ungulateman posted:

raven beak: "if you aren't strong enough to kill these stupid robots those idiots in government sent here, you aren't worth my time."
:agreed:
Dude's so arrogant that he thinks Samus must earn the right to become his pet metroid. If she fails, whatever, Metroid breeding program is still go.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

The Lone Badger posted:

The super metroid?

ungulateman posted:

Mercury Steam seems to have leaned into that meme a little bit - the Dread version of the main theme, which IIRC in the Prime games is called 'Samus Aran's theme', is called "Super Metroid" :v:

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

FeyerbrandX posted:

*Exhales*

So... yeah that happened. SEVERAL TIMES.

Yeah this. The end of the game has quite a few twist punches.

Ironically now that you can space jump, you seem to be slightly underusing the flash shift in battles, it's the best way to suddenly be on the other side of doods.

The main unique thing about Goldie is that his shield isn't destrucible by force, but if you counter its shield slam you can grab the shield with grapple beam and pull it off. Or, as you saw, you can just time your storm missiles for when the shield isn't up.

Zernach posted:

So that powerup that stumped you, doors stay open for a certain time before closing, right?

you can shoot the door open from the other room through the walls, get into the comms room and the door will still be open

Do you have a video of this? I'm not quite sure what you mean. There is *just* enough space left up top even with the floor broken, though, I did it that way.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Girl... is a metroid?

Honestly I love this Adam twist. I love how humble of a thing it is. It barely matters in the greater scheme of things, it has almost nothing to do with The Plot (which itself isn't that complicated even if it is a little weirdly delivered in a handful of lore dumps that can be a little overwhelming) but it's here all the same, and the whole game is written around it, and it's just this thing for the nerds who've been waiting 20 years for this and obsessed over every detail and watched every four hour youtube retrospective essay to piece together to pick up on. It's hidden directly under your nose, the game's been hinting at it from the opening minutes of play, it's completely fair, and it involves my favourite writing gambit ever: disguising important story details as bad writing to stop people noticing it.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Omobono posted:

He had Samus, he had her Metroid magic DNA*, but it would have taken some time to breed the new babies metroids, so he decided that letting the Queen live was a good idea.

Also, I mean, his race is apparently completely dead except for him and a kidnapped scientist who hates him*. He's crazy arrogant to not think the plan would backfire on him, but at some level he may still want his sort of daughter working for him just so he'd have someone to talk to while he conquers the galaxy with his army of clones and robots. I doubt he's exactly mentally healthy sitting on his throne watching camera feeds of his dead world.

*Until recently, I mean, now it's just him.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

The Golux posted:

Do you have a video of this? I'm not quite sure what you mean. There is *just* enough space left up top even with the floor broken, though, I did it that way.

The Wave Beam can shoot through walls, so I think Zernach is saying what you do is go into the room with the powerup (from the bottom level), shoot to the top left to open the one way door from the comm room, start a speed boost, save it, jump up to the top level and out through the one way door, them jump up and bomb the floor and spark down.

"Shoot through the wall to get through a one way door" is actually the solution to get to an otherwise unreachable place in another area, but for this powerup that's a lot you'd have to do before the shinespark expires, especially since you'd have to wait for the bomb to explode. It can probably be done though, I mean I was able to get that one missile+ tank they were stumped by a few episodes ago using cross bombs instead of sliding through to the room on the left.

But yeah for this particular one I did the same thing you did, since there is just enough space to shinespark even if you blow up the floor.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

He can always clone some more birbs to be his terrified and obedient subjects in the Empire of the Beak.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Bremen posted:

but at some level he may still want his sort of daughter working for him just so he'd have someone to talk to while he conquers the galaxy with his army of clones and robots.

He makes it pretty clear that the only reason he wants Samus around is to be an obedient tool for his use. He's absolutely the kind of arrogant shitlord who has no need for love/family/companionship - just power.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Twelve by Pies posted:

The Wave Beam can shoot through walls, so I think Zernach is saying what you do is go into the room with the powerup (from the bottom level), shoot to the top left to open the one way door from the comm room, start a speed boost, save it, jump up to the top level and out through the one way door, them jump up and bomb the floor and spark down.

"Shoot through the wall to get through a one way door" is actually the solution to get to an otherwise unreachable place in another area, but for this powerup that's a lot you'd have to do before the shinespark expires, especially since you'd have to wait for the bomb to explode. It can probably be done though, I mean I was able to get that one missile+ tank they were stumped by a few episodes ago using cross bombs instead of sliding through to the room on the left.

But yeah for this particular one I did the same thing you did, since there is just enough space to shinespark even if you blow up the floor.

Ah OK I get it. I think even if you don't save the spark that's still a faster way to get another attempt at the puzzle than going all the way around.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

He makes it pretty clear that the only reason he wants Samus around is to be an obedient tool for his use. He's absolutely the kind of arrogant shitlord who has no need for love/family/companionship - just power.

Power doesn't exist without someone to have power over.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

The twist did actually seemed pretty well done. I think I had suspicions after the second "You can't beat the glorious genius of Raven Beak the Great" speech from "Adam" but the first one was blunt "you just got 1/10th of your abilities back and 3 energy tanks, you are not able to hurt the guy who took a super missile to the face and merely cracked his mask." seemed reasonable.

Now that we see that Raven Beak's behind the whole setup between the startand now, I personally think that Raven Beak just hosed with the Varia suit's config files when you got it before Kraid to deactivate cold defense so Samus had to follow his intended route. Someone in the dread thread had another idea that Samus's Metroid DNA progressed far enough that the Varia suit was no longer enough to defend her.

FeyerbrandX fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Dec 2, 2021

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

If Samus is now a Metroid, is her hand now sporting tentacles or pincers and such

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

If Samus is now a Metroid, is her hand now sporting tentacles or pincers and such

It doesn't look like it. There does appear to be a convenient little circle on the palm of her hand now, as we saw in the opening cutscene, that presumably lets her make skin contact with things that she wants to touch to absorb with her powers.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

FeyerbrandX posted:

The twist did actually seemed pretty well done. I think I had suspicions after the second "You can't beat the glorious genius of Raven Beak the Great" speech from "Adam" but the first one was blunt "you just got 1/10th of your abilities back and 3 energy tanks, you are not able to hurt the guy who took a super missile to the face and merely cracked his mask." seemed reasonable.

Now that we see that Raven Beak's behind the whole setup between the startand now, I personally think that Raven Beak just hosed with the Varia suit's config files when you got it before Kraid to deactivate cold defense so Samus had to follow his intended route. Someone in the dread thread had another idea that Samus's Metroid DNA progressed far enough that the Varia suit was no longer enough to defend her.

I think where I started noticing something was off was when the X got involved. You let them out of E-zone, "Raven Beak must have some reason for releasing them." They damage the forge and start freezing the planet, "Raven Beak is trying to keep you from a power up you need." Those incidents are what cement him in my mind as a control freak who insists it's all according to plan even when it's not (though at the time I just thought Adam had a microchip loose or something). I believe "make her fight her way to the surface and see if the stress will activate her DNA", but I don't think he planned Quiet Robe X turning the bots back on or anything.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Bruceski posted:

I think where I started noticing something was off was when the X got involved. You let them out of E-zone, "Raven Beak must have some reason for releasing them." They damage the forge and start freezing the planet, "Raven Beak is trying to keep you from a power up you need." Those incidents are what cement him in my mind as a control freak who insists it's all according to plan even when it's not (though at the time I just thought Adam had a microchip loose or something). I believe "make her fight her way to the surface and see if the stress will activate her DNA", but I don't think he planned Quiet Robe X turning the bots back on or anything.

Well to be fair with Elun note that the door was purposefully left open when Samus walked out, when it shut behind her.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Omobono posted:

Was the closeup on Samus' face at the end a direct reference to the equivalent scene in Fusion? There was no surprise this time around, I'd say she knew she wasn't dealing with the real Adam from the first communication node.

*obligatory Morbo voice: "genetics do not work that way"

"Where were you when Ridley killed my human parents or my bird parents"

I mean on the Ridley bit, Raven Beak might have been very busy punching X and shoving them into a box in Elun at the time Ridley did the murder bit on the bird parents.

Also if he contributed to Samus's chozo DNA mix as well as the Thoha he might have been looking into as many super weapons as he could possibly find if for no other reason than he could

or well being asked to contribute his DNA to enhancing this poor human Waif so she can kill space pirates probably stroked his ego so he might have just done it for no other reason than arrogance. "OF COURSE THEY WOULD ASK FOR MY SUPERIOR WARRIOR DNA FOR THIS"

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Fedule posted:

Girl... is a metroid?

Honestly I love this Adam twist. I love how humble of a thing it is. It barely matters in the greater scheme of things, it has almost nothing to do with The Plot (which itself isn't that complicated even if it is a little weirdly delivered in a handful of lore dumps that can be a little overwhelming) but it's here all the same, and the whole game is written around it, and it's just this thing for the nerds who've been waiting 20 years for this and obsessed over every detail and watched every four hour youtube retrospective essay to piece together to pick up on. It's hidden directly under your nose, the game's been hinting at it from the opening minutes of play, it's completely fair, and it involves my favourite writing gambit ever: disguising important story details as bad writing to stop people noticing it.

Maybe it's cause I haven't played a Metroid since Super or it's because I'm a big dumb idiot, but until someone mentioned it in the Games thread I didn't realise at all that it was supposed to have been Raven Beak all along. I thought he was just pretending to be Adam here in the cutscene, and all the other times you were talking to real Adam.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Reveilled posted:

Maybe it's cause I haven't played a Metroid since Super or it's because I'm a big dumb idiot, but until someone mentioned it in the Games thread I didn't realise at all that it was supposed to have been Raven Beak all along. I thought he was just pretending to be Adam here in the cutscene, and all the other times you were talking to real Adam.

Apart from the general "Raven Beak is so cool and awesome and his wings are so thicc you stand no chance" he never called Samus "lady" once. Adam did in the initial cutscene. Real Adam would have had an average of 1.5 "any objections, Lady" per conversation.

But if you haven't played Fusion (like for example Raven Beak) you'd not know about that small but very important tidbit.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Yeah, ADAM calls Samus "Lady" when they're in orbit above ZDR, and a second time when she's going down the elevator into the planet and the signal starts breaking up. Then when you run into your first comm room the second sentence "ADAM" says is "Well done, Samus." That's the big clue that this isn't ADAM, though even people who played the hell out of Fusion aren't necessarily going to pick up on that. Honestly I only started realizing it about halfway through the game, and only because I started watching another streamer play it and saw the opening cutscene again and went "Wait a minute, ADAM hasn't been calling her 'Lady' in any of his communications, that's pretty weird.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

It's also interesting in the context of Fusion. I've watched a few playthroughs recently and computer!Adam in Fusion calls her Samus throughout the game, and doesn't switch to "Lady" until she calls him out in the finale.

We all remember the line because it was impactful, but it never seemed unusual to me that he was calling her "Samus" because he's done that plenty before. (The continued absence of "Lady" does seem weirder as the game goes on, though. I like how they set this up.)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Oh this Samus's Metroid powers clearly work on Non X as it sucked all the power out of the EMMI and the Core Unit connected to it.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

I actually love the implication that Raven Beak subverted and unleashed the EMMIs for the specific purpose of training Samus to use her Metroid powers to extract her abilities out of hostile, dangerous foes. Certainly it makes the part where you meet them in order of increasing difficulty slightly less "it's a game, don't think too hard about it".

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Him railroading Samus down his own MGS2-style training maze also retroactively makes the game being quite linear make a lot of sense

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
So Raven Beak is the final boss, right? With the customary "Planet/station is exploding, you have to escape, Samus!" sequence to follow? Will there be a bonus video collecting power ups?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

If Samus lost connection with Adam on the elevator to the underground at the start of the game why isn't Adam screaming at her once she gets back to the surface?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

ilmucche posted:

If Samus lost connection with Adam on the elevator to the underground at the start of the game why isn't Adam screaming at her once she gets back to the surface?

Raven Beak likely has the means to make him shut up, a powerful jammer, Robo-Chozo space fighters, or Robo-Chozo troops that have boarded the ship on the ground, Robo-Adam's survival is hardly a given right now.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Actual Adam said to get to the Network stations to contact him, but it appears Raven Beak intercepted it and presumably has just been blocking Adam's signal that's trying to talk to her the whole time.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

By the way, can I appreciate Cutscene Samus again?

Natural20: "Go to hell Raven Beak"
Cutscene Samus: *points and shoots her arm cannon at the Adam disguise like she and Nat rehearsed the timing*

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Omobono posted:

By the way, can I appreciate Cutscene Samus again?

Natural20: "Go to hell Raven Beak"
Cutscene Samus: *points and shoots her arm cannon at the Adam disguise like she and Nat rehearsed the timing*

Samus's main method of interacting with the world is via arm-cannon, and Cutscene Samus is 100% aware of this.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Dread is a goddamn masterclass in characterisation of a non-speaking character with (usually) no visible face entirely through tiny snippets of body animation. It's notable that the one time she speaks is probably the most boring of her many little moments of expression in the game, it's just the most generic poo poo, and tells us nothing we hadn't already figured out. Meanwhile, every single little cutscene where she encounters a boss speaks volumes through pose, demeanor and timing.

I've almost come around to the opinion that Other M was worth it because it shamed Sakamoto into having to do this to apologise for it. Almost.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Fedule posted:

Dread is a goddamn masterclass in characterisation of a non-speaking character with (usually) no visible face entirely through tiny snippets of body animation. It's notable that the one time she speaks is probably the most boring of her many little moments of expression in the game, it's just the most generic poo poo, and tells us nothing we hadn't already figured out. Meanwhile, every single little cutscene where she encounters a boss speaks volumes through pose, demeanor and timing.

I've almost come around to the opinion that Other M was worth it because it shamed Sakamoto into having to do this to apologise for it. Almost.

I utterly disagree with the read on her one voiced line. The fact that she used words in this one instance, the language of the race that saved her as the lone survivor of her home planet, to Quiet Robe is a huge display of compassion and acknowledgement that she trusts his word. And that, to me, is an integral part of Samus Aran, space badass, that she has that compassionate side of herself despite all of the heavy ordinance.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I too consider her one spoken line to be worth including. If it seemed "most boring" its because all her other expressions are larger than life.

Just the narrowing of the eyes when she realizes that Raven Beak/ Adam is A Problem that she needs to deal with.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Right I mean I don't think it's boring, just that it's the most boring of her expressions.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
An hour-long video. Yep, that sounds about right for Raven Beak.

And yet you didn't die to the final phase. I'm actually quite surprised by this because most people I've watched don't realize you have to charge the Hyper Beam, so they just get gobbled.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

SL the Pyro posted:

And yet you didn't die to the final phase. I'm actually quite surprised by this because most people I've watched don't realize you have to charge the Hyper Beam, so they just get gobbled.

The funny thing is that not only did Nat not get gobbled, but his fumbling with the charging actually got him a near-perfectly executed speedrun strat for getting that kill, since firing it off immediately makes Kraid-X move slower and wastes time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The last Metroid is out of captivity. The galaxy is at peace.