Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Natural 20 posted:

I believe the conjecture from Prime is that the Chozo disappeared from Tallon IV because they reached enlightenment and let go of their corporeal forms before the Phazon dragged them back.

It would be interesting if this is the guy who had no interest in being enlightened.

Yeah, the impression I got from the lore is that the chozo hit a certain point in their spiritual practices and once a large number of chozo started becoming bird-buddhas everyone else started seeking enlightenment to join their friends and family. That meant stuff like central government collapsed and left more worldly chozo that tried to get everything ready for their absence on various worlds before attaining enlightenment as well.

I wonder if Samus Aran is part of the effort by the Chozo to 'tidy up' after themselves. Shes dealt with a bunch of problems the Chozo left behind unresolved as they vanished, from mother brain, to the sealed leviathan seed on tallon IV, to the Metroids and X parasites. Given how strong their seers are, its not unreasonable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Pharohman777 posted:

I wonder if Samus Aran is part of the effort by the Chozo to 'tidy up' after themselves. Shes dealt with a bunch of problems the Chozo left behind unresolved as they vanished, from mother brain, to the sealed leviathan seed on tallon IV, to the Metroids and X parasites. Given how strong their seers are, its not unreasonable.

"The seers say to leave that missile pack there. No, other side of the crumbling blocks. That way there's a chance the Hunter will miss them and die to the next obstacle. Weeds out unsatisfactory timelines."

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Rosalie_A posted:

Some general combat tips that might be helpful and not immediately intuitive. I'm putting these in a spoiler block in case you'd rather not read them now, but they're here if you feel you want them:

-Missiles are your primary damage dealers. Regular beam shots are for small fry, charge beam is for backup when you run out of missiles or for jumping through weak enemies.

-No, seriously, I do mean primary. This isn't like Super or Fusion where depending on your point in the game the Charge Beam is as good or better than missiles. You get oodles of tanks and oodles of pickups: shoot missiles like crazy.

-Stuff hurts in this game. You're not expected to facetank damage like you can in other games. You're expected to dodge or parry everything accordingly, with energy just being your margin for screwing up with that.

-Accordingly, the more obvious an attack, the more damage it will deal as punishment for ignoring the windup. Put another way, some enemies will jab, and some enemies will Falcon Punch. The second one will hurt like hell, to a far larger degree than other Metroid games. (For example, Mother Brain's hand beams in Super do 100 damage while the far harder to dodge mouth rings do 20 damage. It's a much more vicious ratio in Dread, with a higher baseline too.)

-Aiming can seem kind of strange. You can freely aim, but you stop when doing so, right? Not quite. You can basically always freely aim while on the ground and jumping. Free aim just stops you from moving (and removes the autocorrection for around ten degrees off the horizontal in case you don't have Monkey Ball-honed precision for keeping an analog stick perfectly straight). Use Free Aim when you need complete precision or you're fine with not moving.

-In short, keep moving and don't stop shooting. Enemies in this game can feel like hard hitting bullet sponges, but that's because you're meant to constantly be doing both.

-I'm serious. Use missiles. You'll be surprised how rarely you'll run out.

-no really i'm not joking on the missiles thing

It sounds like they took a lot from the Metroid 2 remake.

There's a break even point about half way through in M2:SR where you go from horribly weak to a walking death machine. It's rather jarring, and I hope they did better on the power curve here.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

pointlessone posted:

It sounds like they took a lot from the Metroid 2 remake.

There's a break even point about half way through in M2:SR where you go from horribly weak to a walking death machine. It's rather jarring, and I hope they did better on the power curve here.

Samus is extremely squishy here, and certain minibosses will slap away 6 energy tanks of health in a single hit.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
This is a lot of spoilers, we should probably stop.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Eh even if we give good advice we won't see it until like 10 videos ahead because Nat20 always records a hell of a lot in advance.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Bruceski posted:

"The seers say to leave that missile pack there. No, other side of the crumbling blocks. That way there's a chance the Hunter will miss them and die to the next obstacle. Weeds out unsatisfactory timelines."
Please don't spoil logs from later in the game.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
this lp has been fun to watch, but as someone who's beaten it multiple times in the name of speedrunning attempts, there are multiple times in this video where i'm just like "no!! what are you doing!! aaaaa!!!!"

but i think that happens with every blind LP, lol

do your best, guys! i'm rooting for you, even when internally screaming :v:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

So is every EMMI going to have an item to pick up, I wonder?

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Quackles posted:

So is every EMMI going to have an item to pick up, I wonder?

Unsure if it would really be a spoiler, but to be safe...Yes, they all have Samus's abilities.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Those are absolutely small Mother Brains. Teenager Brains maybe?

First EMMI was just blast, this second was overheat then blast, are there any bets on what the last will require?

Samus absolutely drained the Omega cannon and then the Spider Grip out of Brain and EMMI like she was a Metroid. Which makes sense.

Adam must be missing Samus, he keeps wanting her back on the ship

E: Auntie Brains, as they're Mother Brain younger sisters.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Oct 16, 2021

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Auntie Brain sounds like an Addams Family character.

Blaziken386 posted:

this lp has been fun to watch, but as someone who's beaten it multiple times in the name of speedrunning attempts, there are multiple times in this video where i'm just like "no!! what are you doing!! aaaaa!!!!"
God, yes. Especially going right past the spider grip door and Nat's adamant refusal to use L-to-aim.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

One thing that I begrudgingly loved about the first real EMMI fight is that once I figured it out, once I had everything laid out ready to kick its rear end.... it decided THEN was the time to not follow the same path it did every other time and snuck up behind me.

Basicaly at 12:40 in the video, imagine waiting for like 5 seconds expecting that jerk to drop down and then "NOTHING PERSONNEL KID"

So the moral of the story is: don't go into that over the shoulder camera mode until you're damned sure you know where EMMI is coming from.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Belated happy birthday!

This is where I tap out of this LP though. Something about the idea of melee counters in when you have a plasma cannon rubbed me the wrong way such that I didn't get a copy of M2R and seeing this as a descendant of that turned me off conceptually. The first couple episodes were enough to convince me this is a game I'm going to play and I'd rather do it blind, so thanks for literal years of entertainment, and I'll catch y'all in the next LP.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I didn't think I'd watch Natural 20 LP another Metroid game after the disaster that was Super Metroid, but this is quite fun so far. It helps that I haven't played Dread myself.

Apart from the EMMI's and the tiny Mother Brains, the enemies have been very generic so far. I wonder when this picks up.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I will say that I really do struggle with the controls in Metroid. They're completely logical, don't get me wrong. But I have so much difficulty with just remembering I can aim with L and also that missiles aren't their own button, but a toggle on R. My brain is hard wired to jump and fire at a target I see in the air.

Also I'm so much worse at Metroid jumping.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Natural 20 posted:

I will say that I really do struggle with the controls in Metroid. They're completely logical, don't get me wrong. But I have so much difficulty with just remembering I can aim with L and also that missiles aren't their own button, but a toggle on R. My brain is hard wired to jump and fire at a target I see in the air.

Keep in mind possibly every other poster in this thread probably played Metroid games semi-frequently from age 8 on. It's not really surprising if you don't have the same muscle memory for it most of the people commenting on your videos do.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Oct 17, 2021

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Natural 20 posted:

Reminder

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

David Jaffe (the God of War director) showed his entire rear end by getting stuck on stream and needing a watcher’s help, then made a video later calling the game a sacred cow with poo poo design…

Because he couldn’t find the shootable ceiling in the first area.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

girl dick energy posted:

David Jaffe (the God of War director) showed his entire rear end by getting stuck on stream and needing a watcher’s help, then made a video later calling the game a sacred cow with poo poo design…

Because he couldn’t find the shootable ceiling in the first area.

Irrelevant has-been desperate for attention - More at 11.

Edit: Seriously though, the man is a hypocrite. Even ignoring the fact that there was WAY more hidden poo poo in the old God of War games, he somehow puts Shantae on a pedestal despite the fact that it does the same thing as Dread.

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Oct 18, 2021

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

I have now finished this game and return to follow the LPs. It's pretty good! (And thankfully didn't justify any fears I had after the debacle of Other M.)

Dread feels a lot more "actiony", for lack of a better word, to me than past Metroid games, and I died a lot more in this one (even if you don't count EMMI) than I remember doing in Super/Fusion/ZM/AM2R. Something about this game's combat style just didn't click with me for most of my playthrough, and I'm hoping I'll have more fun and struggle less on a second playthrough.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Bremen posted:

Keep in mind possibly every other poster in this thread probably played Metroid games semi-frequently from age 8 on. It's not really surprising if you don't have the same muscle memory for it most of the people commenting on your videos do.
personally, the only other metroid I've completed is Samus Returns, because it's the only other one where Samus controls decently

in super metroid i bonk my head on everything, all the time

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Blaziken386 posted:

personally, the only other metroid I've completed is Samus Returns, because it's the only other one where Samus controls decently

in super metroid i bonk my head on everything, all the time

Play the GBA games. Samus started getting her more snappy movement post-Super, especially with Zero Mission.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Zero Mission is still my recommended entry into the series for new players, and not even because of where it fits in the timeline (though that does make it an easier sell). It’s just a very good game.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
judging by how this LP is going, im going to guess nat is going to take more tries on the first real boss than all the hollow knight bosses combined

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Yeah, getting comfortable with l-aim is mandatory by midgame, at the latest.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
Fun fact: going into one of those scripted sequences where you get to fire off all your missiles pretty much always gives you a bunch of missiles for initiating it anyway. No need to save up for them, just fire away!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

judging by how this LP is going, im going to guess nat is going to take more tries on the first real boss than all the hollow knight bosses combined

That was the first real boss.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

That icky monster door to the boss is the creepiest goddamn thing in the game so far imo :gonk:

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Bifauxnen posted:

That icky monster door to the boss is the creepiest goddamn thing in the game so far imo :gonk:

I'm glad this was brought over from Fusion.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I almost wish I still had my Samus avatar.

Marluxia posted:

Also whoever designed the map fill in system here is a war criminal and deserves a special place in hell.
Ah yes, the 5.54…th circle of hell.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Bifauxnen posted:

It's a fantastic rendition of the standard boss door full heal and missile recharge monster. We've had them since Super, right?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I don't think the eye doors in super provided any sort of heal, just a 3 missile sponge.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
One of the first things said about Phantom Cloak was that it muffled your sound.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
The EMMIs have two ways of detecting you. The first is that blue cone in front of them, and if they see you with it things turn red, the doors lock, and they start chasing you. The second is the big yellow circle that they only emit intermittently. Think of the later as a radar, if they use it and you're in range (which is usually most of the room) it'll make little pings over you and the EMMI will know something is there and come looking - it won't actually set off the alarm, though.

The phase cloak will hide you from either, but since the "radar" pulse is basically impossible to predict it's mostly useful for the vision cone. If you see the EMMI coming you can use the cloak to hide (especially if you can't easily run), and if it does the radar and you see it ping off Samus you can also use it, but be sure to move as well because it will usually run right over to where you were, and the cloak won't protect you from the EMMI actually touching you.

The actual melee counter timing is meant to be, while not impossible, so difficult not even the best players can do it reliably (which would basically trivialize the EMMIs), so it's basically just a desperate measure to try when you're out of better options.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Bremen posted:

The second is the big yellow circle that they only emit intermittently. Think of the later as a radar, if they use it and you're in range (which is usually most of the room) it'll make little pings over you and the EMMI will know something is there and come looking - it won't actually set off the alarm, though.

The phase cloak will hide you from either, but since the "radar" pulse is basically impossible to predict it's mostly useful for the vision cone.

That's not actually how the radar thing works. EMMIs will detect Samus if she moves within a certain range of them without Phantom Cloak up. That yellow circle is the radius of their motion sensor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Bremen posted:

The actual melee counter timing is meant to be, while not impossible, so difficult not even the best players can do it reliably (which would basically trivialize the EMMIs), so it's basically just a desperate measure to try when you're out of better options.

Yeah, I think I've seen it mentioned elsewhere that the timing windows for the two counter opportunities (one for the grab, one for the stab) are both insanely short and also slightly randomized so that you can't reliably react to the animations to escape. You basically have to either get insanely lucky or not get caught to begin with, which can become frustrating given how much the game expects you to lean on the melee counter both for killing random poo poo while exploring or during boss fights.