Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

AtomikKrab posted:

Also for how he handled it. He does have a huge gently caress off energy cannon on his arm, There is probably an upper limit to what the X-parasite can withstand

And Quiet Robe even stated "He's smarter and more violent than the rest of his kin.

However think about this. If all he wanted was Metroid DNA, he... lasered Samus in the face and had her half-dead in front of him, and he left her, he's plotting some bullshit.

My impression is that the physical amnesia was also part of his plan - force Samus to go through all her usual adventurous nonsense in order to uhh...'activate' or 'prime' (:v:) her metroid DNA so that he can use it for Reasons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
yeah the weird texture error that makes it look like her neck is exposed is very jarring and basically the only significant technical error in the entire game, at least from what i remember/have seen

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

ungulateman posted:

My impression is that the physical amnesia was also part of his plan - force Samus to go through all her usual adventurous nonsense in order to uhh...'activate' or 'prime' (:v:) her metroid DNA so that he can use it for Reasons

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I just realised that the meme is true: metroid really is a girl

Mercury Steam seems to have leaned into that meme a little bit - the Dread version of the main theme, which IIRC in the Prime games is called 'Samus Aran's theme', is called "Super Metroid" :v:

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

The big red orbs that balefully glared at you when you entered are turned off when you exit. Someone (Raven Beak being the obvious candidate) must have disabled the security to let the X escape on purpose.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Obvious in hindsight, but this just occurred to me - the new Aeion upgrades all come from very distinctly different-looking Chozo statues than the older upgrades that are the ones Samus has had in the past, which use the same style of Chozo statues as previous games. Is this just an indication that they were designed by different groups of Chozo - perhaps the Thoha and Mawkin, respectively?

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

my only real complaints are that 1) too many movement options are bound to the same stuff, in particular everything to do with the shinespark, and 2) they don't let you free aim with the right stick while still moving with the left stick, which is a full on design decision rather than 'i don't like this control layout'

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

For what it's worth, the game's collision is pretty strict, and basically any kind of out-of-bounds will instantly kill you, so whatever happened with the EMMI there is probably a result of that.

(This makes some of the speedruns for this game somewhat interesting because you can clip through floors with some effort, but the success rate on said clips is not that great.)

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

To be fair this does ignore the fact that if you get caught by an EMMI they do kill Samus, which I guess is a little bit of story and gameplay incongruity. Or I guess you can take it as "Samus isn't as good as Raven Beak thought she was but hey at least he gets Metroid DNA as a consolation prize and she won't be around to stop him."

raven beak: "if you aren't strong enough to kill these stupid robots those idiots in government sent here, you aren't worth my time."

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

The super metroid?

ungulateman posted:

Mercury Steam seems to have leaned into that meme a little bit - the Dread version of the main theme, which IIRC in the Prime games is called 'Samus Aran's theme', is called "Super Metroid" :v:

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

If Samus is now a Metroid, is her hand now sporting tentacles or pincers and such

It doesn't look like it. There does appear to be a convenient little circle on the palm of her hand now, as we saw in the opening cutscene, that presumably lets her make skin contact with things that she wants to touch to absorb with her powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

I actually love the implication that Raven Beak subverted and unleashed the EMMIs for the specific purpose of training Samus to use her Metroid powers to extract her abilities out of hostile, dangerous foes. Certainly it makes the part where you meet them in order of increasing difficulty slightly less "it's a game, don't think too hard about it".