Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Toshimo posted:

Pack cracking is just people at home living vicariously through the content creators without dumping money on packs. Same endorphin rush, no out-of-pocket cost. It generates a MASSIVE amount of views so a lot of content creators spend time doing it. It's basically win-win. Viewers are happy, content creators get paid, nobody gets hurt.

I'm not really sure I'd say these sorts of things are a "nobody gets hurt" situation given that these videos are basically on par with videos of people opening a hundred lootboxes in a video game or something, like the whole thing seems tailor made to hit people with the "that could be me, all I've gotta do is drop a hundred bucks and I could score big just like my favorite youtube friend" bug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
All else aside, LSS has effectively paid Rudy $1,400,000 in one instance to promote their game. That's not a "gift" or "thank you". It's quid pro quo. It's income. That's on top of the special sweetheart deals they gave him on all the other stuff he's pumped and dumped.

There's probably even a legal argument to be made at this point that Rudy is a contractor for them in some respects.

Everything Rudy does for FAB/LSS at this point should have disclaimers. He's directly being paid for his PR efforts. He has been the entire time, by their acknowledgement.

They've gone full mask-off with this grift and in a sane world, this would be the thing to torpedo the entire game.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Toshimo posted:

All else aside, LSS has effectively paid Rudy $1,400,000 in one instance to promote their game. That's not a "gift" or "thank you". It's quid pro quo. It's income. That's on top of the special sweetheart deals they gave him on all the other stuff he's pumped and dumped.

There's probably even a legal argument to be made at this point that Rudy is a contractor for them in some respects.

Everything Rudy does for FAB/LSS at this point should have disclaimers. He's directly being paid for his PR efforts. He has been the entire time, by their acknowledgement.

They've gone full mask-off with this grift and in a sane world, this would be the thing to torpedo the entire game.

Surely some OTHER sucker will be stuck holding the bag and not me!

If anything I expect the frenzy to intensify until there is literally nothing but hopes and dreams propping this weird Frankenstein thing up and preventing it from face planting into its well deserved shallow grave.

Which is sad bc it's not a half bad game but wygd?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I mean, if you're all this concerned, why don't you file something with the SEC - bwa ha ha ha ha ha heh heheh heh *wipes tear away from eye* whew. Couldn't finish that one with a straight face.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Toshimo posted:

FaBled Hunters (Saint, who's been in some of the box opening videos on Rudy's channel) is just as bad in a lot of ways. Just like how Rudy's had the MetaZoo guy on his videos, Saint has had James White on his channel. Just to give you an idea of how rich the guy is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDHeww4QPmQ

Just in the first few seconds you can see 7 columns of six cases of WTR first edition, which is 168 boxes. Purely at retail cost, that's $14k worth. Assuming he owned no other cases and didn't open any of those on the first print run of WTR, that means he has 1% of the entire print run. If half of that print run (16,666 boxes) have been opened, which realistically might be a conservative estimate, you can double that number and presume he owns 2% of the entire remaining sealed boxes alone. That doesn't seem like much, but relatively speaking it's a lot, and he probably has more than just that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knCZoFWa0gE

Totally cool and healthy thing for a person like this to have YouTube videos with the game creator, here.

Like, owning this much stuff as one person is obscene and the very idea that Saint, Rudy, and a couple other guys control most of the secondary market for sealed product is comical.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Here's what people paid $1000 for and the promo doesn't even appear to be foiled

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MAjJJR7mVQ

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

very cool game that no one seems to know how to play even in top 8 with judges and casters watching

ohhyeah
Mar 24, 2016

triple sulk posted:

Just in the first few seconds you can see 7 columns of six cases of WTR first edition, which is 168 boxes.

Bizarre and hilarious that this guy just has a big stack of plain cardboard boxes in his house. At least with something like gold or funko pops you can actually see the thing you own.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

ohhyeah posted:

Bizarre and hilarious that this guy just has a big stack of plain cardboard boxes in his house. At least with something like gold or funko pops you can actually see the thing you own.
cruelty squad 2 gonna have a card game

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Apart from the whole finance thing, is this game actually any fun to play? Artwork looks kinda uninspired but what about mechanics?

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
I really enjoy it, but I have only been playing the Blitz-format and using very budget-oriented builds. The back-and-forth nature of each player’s turn feels a lot more involved to me than other card games I’ve played. The amount of player knowledge that is required of each class’s capabilities is a bit intimidating though, as there is a lot of feinting, bluffing, and misdirection with how you’ll arrange and time your attack chains.

But this is all coming from someone who hasn’t played MTG since 2008 so for all I know MTG struck all of those chords and more in the last few years. Some of the people at the events I go to locally have dumped a lot of money into their decks, money necessitated by how bullshit and inflated the single card market has been made by investors and poo poo. If it wasn’t for that it really could just be a half-decent alternative to all the typical TCG giants.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Covermeinsunshine posted:

Apart from the whole finance thing, is this game actually any fun to play? Artwork looks kinda uninspired but what about mechanics?

Like I said or implied the first post, I think the game suffers from fairly linear deckbuilding due to the small card pool and the fact that you're restricted to whatever class or generic cards are available. Generic cards could be interesting, but given the nature of combat, they're generally either so good that they fit into most or all decks (e.g. Command and Conquer) or not worth putting in over a class card because they won't boost the strength of your primary mechanic. I think if you like hero-oriented games that commander in Magic just has far more options and lets you find a commander that really resonates with you with a low risk of banning unlike with how FAB does it.

Limited formats have seemed kind of bad so far where one hero is generally just a lot better than the others, and constructed before recent bans was even worse. The new Runeblade was 5/8 of the top 8 in the Dallas tournament, and while the Guardian player won, they had at least one "misplay" that was probably just cheating given the player experience level. To use Magic terms, they activated a sorcery speed ability on their equipment as instant speed in order to defend an attack that had a major swing in the game tempo.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Peeps seem to be liking this game, so I picked up some Monarch Blitz decks and... MAN does FAB seem super wordy most cards.

Maybe it's like the small font they use or something?

I'm no WOTC apologist or anything (I happily never play another game of that ever in my life), but it's a real testament to how legible Magic seems to be after all of these years. Even wordy as gently caress cards as theirs don't seem to be as tiny-text feeling as FAB.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
don't worry everyone, rudy has revealed the benefit of buying the 1000 dollar card with his face on it

quote:

Rudy The Magic Guy

LSS001-P Updates

All purchasers of the $1k Gemkeeper card will recieve the "OPTION" of a discount on future Flesh and Blood Promotional kits.

The discount is = $69.00 on each FaB promotional kit.

Essentially, you own a piece of the games history and the card will be giving you a "rebate/discount" on future Promo kits.

- If you purchased 1 or 2 Gemkeeper cards, the $69.00 discount is the same and can only be used once per promotional kit, it does not "stack" the discount.

- Yes you can recieve the $69.00 discount on every single Promotional kit for flesh and blood until futher notice.

- The discount ONLY applies to FaB promotional kits.

- The discount does NOT apply to normal box purchasing or normal case purchasing.

- No, if you choose to not purchase a kit, the discount does not accure for extra value or future use.

- No, if you sell the card to someone else, they do NOT get the benefit if they are a patron.

- The benefit is NOT transferable.

The theory is, as long as you stay a patron and love to buy Flesh and blood, you will continue to get future discounts on promo kits for FaB.

This will essentially rebate most of the money you paid for the gemkeeper card as time goes on, if you choose to continue to be a FaB Fan.

Sometimes the biggest risk in life, is not taking a risk.

lol 69 lol nice nice niiiiiiiice

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

quote:

The theory is, as long as you stay a patron and love to buy Flesh and blood,
Is that some kind of threat? Do not let your devotion become weak.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Is that some kind of threat? Do not let your devotion become weak.

Rudy’s entire patreon is designed to grift people into spending massive amounts of money because of Fomo, because they might miss the amazing “deals”.

So yeah, it’s a threat. The whole scam is.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Paul Zuvella posted:

Rudy’s entire patreon is designed to grift people into spending massive amounts of money because of Fomo, because they might miss the amazing “deals”.

So yeah, it’s a threat. The whole scam is.

And to reiterate, the kinds of deals we're talking about is one where the Monarch bundle was $1000 for two first edition boxes, a playmat, and a promo, and now all of those things together might get $600 if you're lucky and find a buyer. The set has lost almost all of its value and you now can still easily buy Tales of Aria for like $110 online because it's so widely available, which means the seller is probably breaking even at best. Some number of people probably preordered it poo poo at $200+.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
My two cents.

I like the game cause every game is a game. I also like the game cause there is no total shutdown mechanic like an all counter spell strategy or crazy tefari loop till your opponent concedes.

Each game feels like there is a path to winning. And there is a ton of bluff counter bluff. The actual play strategy is very nuanced and steeped in reading your opponent and piloting your deck well.

The game feels like how I envision a dual between two powerfull individuals would be.

*Edit*
I have the worst resource luck in magic. Even if I take someones amazing deck that wins the current standard non stop. I only get about 1 of 3 games that I don't flood or drought. Then of those I would say half are my opponent flooding or droughting. To help define what I meant by each game is a game. Draft is super fun imo.

On the front of genrics being a couple bonkers every deck uses vs useless. The game has a limited format. So just like magics useless in constructed commons, the generics fill a need in a non constructed format.

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Oct 21, 2021

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
he's still on his poo poo, this time with metazoo

quote:

Hot off the press

Preview exclusive card for the halloween bundle of metazoo nightfall.

Featuring the cardboard castle in the background

Holding a bag of money stolen from the metazoo community

Taco hanging out of the pocket

+other hidden easter eggs

1 card per metazoo promo kit coming at the end of the month.

he's got his carny huckster persona down pat, that's for sure. at least this card's an extra alongside an actual product rather than just the card lol

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
metazoo is also getting into an nft scam lol. amazed fab hasnt gone down that path yet, though now that their fomo model is petering out i bet its in the future

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Metazoo I have to believe was started just to try to sell as a collectable, because that layout is even worse than the 90s tcgs.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Metazoo I have to believe was started just to try to sell as a collectable, because that layout is even worse than the 90s tcgs.

When I heard of MetaZoo I thought it sounded fun, Cryptids are fun. What I found, this is not what I think of as fun.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The asthetic appears to be "Early Pokemon, but with thirty extra doodads"

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

The gimmick of "Card game but things outside the game effect it" is kinda neat for an ultra casual game, which is why it's extra baffling that people are using it as an investment scam. No one should be chasing ultra rares and NFTs of a game where you have to bring a bag of props with you to play competitively.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Maduo posted:

The gimmick of "Card game but things outside the game effect it" is kinda neat for an ultra casual game, which is why it's extra baffling that people are using it as an investment scam. No one should be chasing ultra rares and NFTs of a game where you have to bring a bag of props with you to play competitively.

I mean no one should be chasing NFTs period which is why a bunch of them involve weird pipe-dream promises of metaverse compatibility and full cross-reality integration where you'll be able to use your NFT as unique armor in every video game ever made, weird gimmicks are a solid percentage of NFT-type scams (the rest is just regular "get rich quick" scams). Like one of the notorious recent NFT rug-pulls (that is to say, an NFT where the creators waited until everyone bought in, then took the money and ran) was promising a fighting game where you'd be able to use your lovely ape avatar as a character to beat up other apes.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Okay, yeah. This is 100% just early Pokemon TCG card layout but worse.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Okay, yeah. This is 100% just early Pokemon TCG card layout but worse.

The cards posted in this thread are uglier than the first wave of bad Magic ripoffs in the 90’s. Wth are people actually paying money for these crap cards?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

lilljonas posted:

The cards posted in this thread are uglier than the first wave of bad Magic ripoffs in the 90’s. Wth are people actually paying money for these crap cards?

Well have you seen what NFTs sell for these days?

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

lilljonas posted:

well, op, the person who sold them to me said that i could turn around and sell them to someone else for twice as much

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
I've personally been enjoying fab and held off for a while because of all the scummy poo poo that Rudy and other finance idiots have done. A friend of mine who doesn't really do tcgs got into it though so I decided to give it a shot. I think the game could survive a bubble burst since the turn out to the calling events recently have been good. I think this could last as long a wow tcg or naruto tcg. My wife and played today and had a good time!

Now loving meta zoo is nothing but a scam I don't see how anyone could actual understand those cards.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I got into FAB a few monthes back and only recently started playing locally, but we've always had a decent turnout at the local events. Thankfully, my FLGS has been selling stuff at MSRP and not at $300+ for 1st edition like one store in the city. I'm not going to fault the game itself for people being scummy resellers, just look at what happened with Pokemon during the same time period and what's going on with the Celebrations sets.

As far as CRU going out of print, they have also said the next set is an arsenal set like CRU, so hopefully it's just a case of "we're retiring CRU, taking out the cards people don't care about and putting in more reprints people want/need" and giving some more heroes to the classes that have no love (seriously, why the hell was the newest Runeblade a Runeblade?)

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7t7Sfiv0xo

MetaZoo is going to be an even funnier scam than FAB

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
he still sold out of it all in about an hour, I guess.

I think the cards are a hideous mess so I was never interested to begin with, but does it even play well? is it balanced at all?

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
I don't think anyone has ever played metazoo.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Captain Invictus posted:

he still sold out of it all in about an hour, I guess.

I think the cards are a hideous mess so I was never interested to begin with, but does it even play well? is it balanced at all?

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

The wildest thing is at least two shops in my area are selling this garbage and I almost can't believe it.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

That card gives me a headache.

ALLAN LASSUS
May 11, 2007

apul.prof./ass.prof.
Wow, how is that game (e: metazoo) even meant to be played

That looks absolutely worse than even the worst TCG designs of the 90s, and ohhh boy were some of those terrible

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Wait, can you really not use that card...

While wearing pants?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

LaSquida posted:

Wait, can you really not use that card...

While wearing pants?

Like I'm going to look up wat either Beastie or Contracted means.