Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Caught up with the thread.

THE GREEN BUTTON IS RIGHT THERE.

Phew, glad I got that out of my system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

The weird thing about the ice EMMI is that unlike the speedbooster one is that it just... doesn't do its gimmick after the brain is killed.

rbakervv
Apr 1, 2008

For the Emperor!!

FeyerbrandX posted:

The weird thing about the ice EMMI is that unlike the speedbooster one is that it just... doesn't do its gimmick after the brain is killed.

It's freeze ray would be too hard to work with. If it froze you on sight, there would be no way to melt the armor, or charge the kill shot.

This also goes for the purple EMMI with it's x-ray scanner and wave beams.

My guess is that they realized this in playtesting.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah its obvious why they don't do it, just one of the few things the game drops the ball on.

Maybe the brain actually is controlling it to a slight extent and is the thing using the cool options they got. Once the brain is gone they default to stock factory model "crawl or walk and eye spike" modes.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

FeyerbrandX posted:

Yeah its obvious why they don't do it, just one of the few things the game drops the ball on.

Maybe the brain actually is controlling it to a slight extent and is the thing using the cool options they got. Once the brain is gone they default to stock factory model "crawl or walk and eye spike" modes.

It would have been cool if they had the beam slowly freezing you as you slowly melted it's face off.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
Oooh, that's a great idea. It'd go from a game of Keep Away to a game to Chicken.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

I'm really glad that you had a harder time with that boss. It was an enormous difficulty spike for me and if you'd trivialized it I would have felt bad. This is really when the game starts ramping up: the EMMIs get way more way more aggressive, normal enemies start dealing way more damage and some of them aren't counterable, and the minibosses/bosses start getting really nasty.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

A correction, David Jaffe was a lead designer of the first two God of War games, a series rather notorious for hiding stuff off camera and behind breakable blocks itself. I would certainly say it does it worse than Metroid in that respect as well, if I'm being honest.

EDIT: Also yes, Escue is an absolute brutalizer of a boss that requires you be on the ball with your movements without knowledge of a tech which lets you shred it easily.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
I'm turning into a bit of a broken record since I keep bringing this up whenever I talk about dread, but it's really a shame that Jaffe's criticism is so easily disregarded due to the specifics of the complaint he has when the actual design problem mentioned comes up in much worse ways at a few other points, such as:

- the first breakable wall after getting the spider magnet initially looks like you need the morph ball to get through since the bottom block is different from the other ones
- the first breakable wall in cataris is a totally blind 'shoot the wall in the opposite direction of the door'
- the first breakable floor in dairon appears right after the game stops confining you quite as much and so you can easily run around for ages like an idiot looking for it if you don't immediately go 'aha a 1 tile thick floor'

There's a few other spots that are a little wonky, but most of those are because you need to use missiles to reveal breakable blocks for whatever reason rather than because of the design of the hidden blocks themselves.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Did you guys mention if you were going for 100% items?

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Yes, I'll be going for the rest of the items once I'm fairly confident I'm coming up to the final boss. The commentary will be recorded in post and the video will be stitched together cuts so you don't have to sit there and watch me go through failed attempt after failed attempt of Shinespark puzzles. It's what I've done for Other M, AM2R, and Samus Returns.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I really enjoyed getting 100% in this game, and it inspired me to go back to zero mission and fusion to get 100% on my recent playthrough files. God drat some of those are a PITA but you feel good (and smart!) when you get them

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
So I'm really wondering whether our inevitable fight with Raven Beak will be against the chozo himself, or an X version of him.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Would it be a metroidvania game if the final boss didn't have a bunch of forms, each getting increasingly weird and/or esoteric?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

ungulateman posted:

Would it be a metroidvania game if the final boss didn't have a bunch of forms, each getting increasingly weird and/or esoteric?

Hoping Raven Beak is literally just a Chozo in a battlesuit who beats rear end, having him be an X would just suck

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

It'll also be interesting to see where it takes place, as nearly every game up until now had you do the final battle in the bottom of the planet and you needed to make a quick escape to your ship, but our ship is supposed to be our final destination.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
My own guess is that you fight Raven Beak and then the X infest the body perhaps?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Given ADAM saying fighting him is hopeless and Samus' track record, im thinking we only defeat Raven Beak by dropping a space station on his head :v:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, ADAM. Anyone else find it suspicious that there has been no "any objections, lady?"

I mean, it's entirely possible that Other M poisoned that well so they wouldn't want to touch it again but it makes me a mite suspicious.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

anilEhilated posted:

Yeah, ADAM. Anyone else find it suspicious that there has been no "any objections, lady?"

I mean, it's entirely possible that Other M poisoned that well so they wouldn't want to touch it again but it makes me a mite suspicious.

I had the same observation in Nat20's thread.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

anilEhilated posted:

Way back, in the intro cinematic I think, he called her lady once and my jaw clenched like you wouldn't believe.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Felinoid posted:

Way back, in the intro cinematic I think, he called her lady once and my jaw clenched like you wouldn't believe.

So you are saying... not since she got shot by Raven Beak and left buried in a Chozo Facility using the Chozo Comm nodes?

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Felinoid posted:

Really, it made me think of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-B4SVSmSZW8

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

AtomikKrab posted:

So you are saying... not since she got shot by Raven Beak and left buried in a Chozo Facility using the Chozo Comm nodes?

He also said it in the elevator just as he was telling Samus to use the communication facilities inside the facility to remain in contact.

The real concern are the weird turns of phrase that do not line up with his attitude in the ship. "Take care of our lost assets" vs "These existential threats cannot be sanctioned" is a pretty immediate turnaround even if the EMMIs have been hacked and pose a threat to Samus' life. And then there's uh. "Accept your helplessness." Buddy do you remember who Samus Aran is?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
If Raven Beak is responsible for the falling temperatures on ZDR because he moved the planet further away from the sun, then maybe for once it won't be Samus' fault if the planet ends up uninhabitable (due to becoming an ice ball, which I assume even the X can't survive), which would be a nice twist.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Hah, very well done!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Nice work! I wonder when you can navigate somewhat freely again, to use all those upgrades to open paths previously inaccessible to you. I actually don't think you will get an item to melt the ice. Adam said that a X must be physically blocking the flow of lava to Arteria, so I assume you're being funneled to Crateria to deal with the boss X there, which will then unfreeze Arteria. I hope the game doesn't railroad you again after this, but instead gives you some freedom to explore.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

:aaa: I just did a full second run of the game and didn’t even notice that, even though I was going through a run with sequence breaks in mind! This game continues its impressive streak in all the best ways. :allears:

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Wow, that's a neat one. It's really neat how many little things like this there are where creative shinesparks or trick-jumps can let you get places. I certainly didn't notice that one!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

ADAM: hey Samus, somebody is freezing the planet over to keep you from getting a mission critical item. Go thaw things out and come back so you can get it.

Samus: I just went and got the mission critical item first, is that ok?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

ADAM: Again? I'm going to lock you in the correct area until you sequence unbreak.
SAMUS: You have control over the doors?
TOTALLY ADAM: I was reading the memo Raven Beak just broadcasted on all open channels.

(For those that don't know Fusion: there's exactly one possible sequence break and the only result is the developers congratulating the player through Adam and then locking the door forward until you go back on the rails)

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Nicely done! That's a pretty cool little sequence break you pulled off!

Omobono posted:

ADAM: Again? I'm going to lock you in the correct area until you sequence unbreak.
SAMUS: You have control over the doors?
TOTALLY ADAM: I was reading the memo Raven Beak just broadcasted on all open channels.

(For those that don't know Fusion: there's exactly one possible sequence break and the only result is the developers congratulating the player through Adam and then locking the door forward until you go back on the rails)

Apparently a playtester found that one and reported it to the devs, but it was too much of a pain to change the level design to take it out, so they just added in an Easter egg message instead.

The check for that is hilariously simple by the way. It just checks to see if you don't have the Diffusion Missiles by the time you get back to that navigation room. There's other ways to reach that point without ever shinesparking so you'll get a slightly irrelevant message if you do one of those methods. :v:

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Nov 28, 2021

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
The other LP didn't sequence break, and Adam didn't speak to them directly after the boss fight, but rather after they also got the screw attack. So the sequencing seems pretty simple, restoring the thermal flow + gaining the screw attack = conversation with Adam.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

It's honestly kind of a shame that you kept missing the counter for this boss (it looked like you tended to adjust yourself a bit too much into position, as you'd still be trying to move and face the correct way when the attack was coming, and it just didn't work out, unfortunately), because it's honestly one of the most dynamic and fun cinematic counters in the game, imo. Hell, this boss is easily one of my favorite fights in the game, of just this gigantic monster spewing lasers and swiping across huge patches of the room while poking it's body into the room from the background. Though, this boss can be a bit of a tripping point for some, because you're supposed to blow up all four of the smaller claws that it places on the walls/ceiling, and if you don't destroy them, the boss will regenerate it's health very quickly in that state where you can shoot those smaller claws, leading to a situation where if you don't get that you're supposed to shoot them, the fight ends up taking forever.

And in regards to the Wind Tunnel attack, you actually can pull off a shinespark on that boss. The timing is pretty tight, as you don't get a huge window of opportunity when it moves it's head so that you can actually hit it with the shinespark, meaning you have to start speed boosting in the middle of the attack, but if you can pull it off, it instantly kills the boss.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

What? What'd you say? Stop channeling? I didn't he-

That is a fantastic thing for them to allow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Fun fact that I only recently noticed: you actually have seen this boss earlier. Remember that giant monster corpse getting zapped by electricity in... I want to say Dairon, after you turned the power on? I'm pretty sure that's this guy, the corpse is gone if you go back. I love how they did this foreshadowing, it's long enough ago that you likely won't remember it but memorable enough that I'd bet you know exactly what I'm talking about.

XavierGenisi posted:

It's honestly kind of a shame that you kept missing the counter for this boss (it looked like you tended to adjust yourself a bit too much into position, as you'd still be trying to move and face the correct way when the attack was coming, and it just didn't work out, unfortunately), because it's honestly one of the most dynamic and fun cinematic counters in the game, imo.

TBH, I loved nearly everything about this boss (including that it kicked my rear end nearly a dozen times), but I really didn't like the counter. It just felt so over-the-top and dramatic compared to the minor amount of effort it took to initiate that it felt almost anti-rewarding: this huge badass action scene because I pressed one button with fairly generous timing. Maybe if it required multiple inputs like those spear robot guys or something it'd feel better. Plus you can pull it off multiple times per fight, which just makes it feel ridiculous when the exact same cutscene plays out.