Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Intruder posted:

I thought the trees were all dead

iirc only two of the big ones died (and are since replanted)

molestrios posted:

I hope the trees get poisoned

eat poo poo bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

gently caress off joe buck

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

HES OLD SCHOOL. HE DOESNT DO ANAAAAAL. HE LOVES HORSES....AND AMERICA TOOOOOO

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Remember last year when rob Manfred sounded mad drunk? Lol

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Intruder posted:

I thought the trees were all dead

I think they planted new ones

Had to replace a poo poo ton of dirt iirc

molestrios
Jan 21, 2020
Did soler get his heckin vaccerino? Freakin chud

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
A poetic series ender with the Astros chopping the air all game

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

molestrios posted:

Did soler get his heckin vaccerino? Freakin chud

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

The old 90s Braves are thinking "wait these guys just waltz into one World Series and win the loving thing?"

molestrios
Jan 21, 2020

I'm literally takin the piss innit

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Crazy Ted posted:

The old 90s Braves are thinking "wait these guys just waltz into one World Series and win the loving thing?"

The difference being this team wont be back. But hey, 1-0! Batting 1.000

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

this is the most weirdly hostile celebratory championship thread i can remember

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

How many Braves fans are absolutely red and mad that "orrr em vee bee don't enven talk in english?"

pigz
Jul 12, 2004

Nearly as overlooked as Joe Mauer

R.D. Mangles posted:

this is the most weirdly hostile celebratory championship thread i can remember

it's really pathetic tbh. The racist poo poo is so uncessary.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

random thought, does touki get a ring

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Shout out to the drunk dude I watched two innings of this game with at the bar and his utter hatred of Chipper Jones, the legendary ace pitcher of the Atlanta Braves

Also congrats to the Braves, about whom I have extremely mixed feelings as a former Richmonder

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Im glad the Astros are my only Houston team. Cursed sports city. Still love and miss Houston though

molestrios
Jan 21, 2020

pigz posted:

it's really pathetic tbh. The racist poo poo is so uncessary.

That's because it's not racist at all and you're just stuck in a dumb gently caress echo chamber full of internet angry miserable people that like to fake outrage at the latest cool thing. No one outside of Twitter, Reddit, tribes trying to make a buck and this site give a poo poo about a harmless silly arm wave lol

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Have you all considered, BARVES?

rjmccall posted:

Shout out to the drunk dude I watched two innings of this game with at the bar and his utter hatred of Chipper Jones, the legendary ace pitcher of the Atlanta Braves

I have so many questions.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

BrownThunder posted:

Free HOTLANTA MAN

Metroid Fitzgerald
Feb 13, 2012

B O O O O B S . . . !

molestrios posted:

That's because it's not racist at all and you're just stuck in a dumb gently caress echo chamber full of internet angry miserable people that like to fake outrage at the latest cool thing. No one outside of Twitter, Reddit and this site give a poo poo about a harmless silly arm wave lol

Source your quotes

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

ted turner blessed my young life with braves baseball and wcw wrasslin and in 2021 both are back in full force, love to see it

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

I dunno man I dont think Reddit or Twitter care about the chop either

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

boxcarhobo posted:

ted turner blessed my young life with braves baseball and wcw wrasslin and in 2021 both are back in full force, love to see it
This but it happened to tiny me in southeastern Minnesota.

For a time I was more familiar with Dominique Wilkins, the Braves, the Cubs, and Andre Dawson than I was with any Minnesota sports team or individual figure because of their availability on local TV.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Nov 3, 2021

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

Crazy Ted posted:

we're americas team baby

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Tatsuta Age posted:

we're americas team baby
That was the tagline back then, wasn't it?

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

molestrios posted:

That's because it's not racist at all and you're just stuck in a dumb gently caress echo chamber full of internet angry miserable people that like to fake outrage at the latest cool thing. No one outside of Twitter, Reddit, tribes trying to make a buck and this site give a poo poo about a harmless silly arm wave lol

I mean it's not like the Braves are renaming a thread N*****R and leaving it on their website for months

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

Crazy Ted posted:

That was the tagline back then, wasn't it?

yep :)

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Crazy Ted posted:

For a time I was more familiar with Dominique Wilkins, the Braves, the Cubs, and Andre Dawson than I was with any Minnesota sports team or individual figure because of their availability on local TV.

TBS + daytime WGN was really a dominant media force in the 90s.

I grew up watching Mark Grace slap choppers up the middle, and then turned to TBS to watch Belliard hit diving liners in the hole at night.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

LeeMajors posted:

TBS + daytime WGN was really a dominant media force in the 90s.

I grew up watching Mark Grace slap choppers up the middle, and then turned to TBS to watch Belliard hit diving liners in the hole at night.

good thing the cubs are now on a weird paywall channel that nobody gets

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

R.D. Mangles posted:

good thing the cubs are now on a weird paywall channel that nobody gets

Modern media makes no sense. I'd bet 85% of Cub fanhood was cultivated in those daytime after school games from like 88 to 2000.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

Tatsuta Age posted:

iirc only two of the big ones died (and are since replanted)

It's been a while since I've been back to my alma mater, but there were only two trees. Like, that was the corner. There were decorative little ones running down the street, but the 100+ year old live oaks that everyone rolled were the whole drat corner. (Nevermind that live oaks aren't supposed to survive in Auburn at all anyway and it's a small miracle that those lived and thrived as long as they did.) It'll take a while before anything that's planted there will be as big as those trees were.

here's a livecam tho, there's some paper in some trees and people are happy, which is nice: https://www.auburnalabama.org/web-cameras/toomers-corner/

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

LeeMajors posted:

I have so many questions.

It was an experience. Many good looks were shared with the bartender.

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

IT IS MY RIGHT TO GET BEHIND THE WHEEL WHEN I'VE PUT BACK SIX SHIRLEY TEMPLES OK

:patriot:
I haven't posted in this thread yet but

I started watching baseball again on my own during the pandemic, watched it all the time as a kid. My grandpa was a life long Braves fan so I was too pretty much, we watched the last series they won together, even when he was in the care home towards the end we would keep up with it and watch games together on TV. In his more lucid moments, which came much easier when we were watching or talking about baseball, he would mention how he doubted he'd see them in the World Series again but he bet that I would.

He died of Covid November 2nd 2020. A year later exactly sure enough I got to see it.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

BrownThunder posted:

I mean it's not like the Braves are renaming a thread N*****R and leaving it on their website for months
It shouldn't be hard to understand that you can loathe the nickname, logo, and even the chop while understanding that approximately zero of the guys who went out and won the championship really have much of anything to do with that.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Ardemia posted:

I started watching baseball again on my own during the pandemic, watched it all the time as a kid. My grandpa was a life long Braves fan so I was too pretty much, we watched the last series they won together, even when he was in the care home towards the end we would keep up with it and watch games together on TV. In his more lucid moments, which came much easier when we were watching or talking about baseball, he would mention how he doubted he'd see them in the World Series again but he bet that I would.

He died of Covid November 2nd 2020. A year later exactly sure enough I got to see it.

Congrats and sorry he didn't get to see this

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Ardemia posted:

Sorry for your loss and very happy that you have this good memory to share with him, albeit posthumously

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

ProperCoochie posted:

Remember last year when rob Manfred sounded mad drunk? Lol

:lol: I was also curious to see if he stayed sober this year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Ardemia posted:

Good memories spending time with your Grandpa. Thanks for sharing. :respek:

My dad didn't get to watch the game tonight but I recorded the last out and sent it to him. We talked about our times watching the Braves in the early 90s and how he never thought they'd be good in his lifetime (he grew up a Braves fan after the moved to Atlanta in the 66). We didn't have much money when I was growing up and really only ever experienced baseball through local minor league teams. We got to see Chipper and Javy coming up through Greenville when we would hit up the road series against the Jacksonville Suns in the early 90s. I've taken him to a few games since I've grown up and we've both had the flexibility and money to make it happen. Some of the best memories of my life. I hope to take him to a game next year with his granddaughter if covid cooperates.

That's the kind of poo poo that matters.