Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NyoroEevee
May 21, 2020
Xiaohu, Waylon, Harper~

Edit: Update is on previous page. This is the proper etiquette, right?

NyoroEevee fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Mar 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Xiaohu, Harper, Shelly.

Haar_Dragon
Aug 21, 2015
Harper and Shelly haven't seen much action yet. And Ray is just fun to read, so...those three, I suppose!

...Man, seeing an Arcanist fight BerserKing with a party that's not fit to destroy it by level alone would be weeeeeird. Yeah, let's go with that.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Another way to get past the Jig Lizard's evasion are Burst skills, they have perfect accuracy and the game tells you this later. Very important tidbit to know because any party member having access to a surefire guaranteed attack can and will save your bacon in some sticky situations. That enemy is definitely your soft introduction to the concept of evasion and how to deal with it as it's only active for 1 turn before breaking, and there's multiple ways to get past a given obstacle if you think about your tools. Which is important for a game like this. Especially since the game will throw you into the deep end on that front soon.

And another example of multiple tools to get past the obstacle is in that boss writeup. Dealing damage is one way to deal with Delay Charge, but also disables can completely save you if your damage output is lacking. Or toss in a burst skill for some extra bit of damage to cross that threshold. Lots of ways in these games to get past a potential brick wall if you look around. Generally. There are some unfortunate exceptions, especially in the older titles.

It is pretty interesting to see how the series got more advanced at crafting enemies and formations because 3 started the trend more, though not to the extent 4 does it. And 1 and 2 generally has a bunch of unnotables with a few notorious enemies here and there within a stratum.

Harper, Shelly, Merula

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Ace, Harper, Merula, I guess.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Harper, Waylon, and Naijou

All binds all the time

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Harper, Waylon, Xiaohu.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
I'll be closing voting in a few hours. Here's where things stand:

quote:

Harper: 12
Shelly: 11
Ace: 9
Xiaohu: 7
Ray: 7
Waylon: 6
Merula: 6
Naijou: 4
Eine: 1

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Merula, Ace, and Harper.

Capitalizing on binds and ailments sounds fun, with Ace on hand as security for things going wrong.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Voting is closed.

quote:

Harper: 13
Shelly: 11
Ace: 10
Xiaohu: 7
Ray: 7
Merula: 7
Waylon: 6
Naijou: 4
Eine: 1

By way of random.org, the three-way tie was broken in Merula's favor, meaning that Shelly, Merula, Marlin, Ace, and Harper will be taking the Berserker King on.

Oublietteer
Jul 30, 2018

Is that you, Edea Lee?
As Rea says, this is not a super hard first boss. How would you guys rank the first bosses of these games?

I would say EOU Fenrir is the easiest, assuming you spam items to keep the adds out. Blossombeast is next, more of a slog than a challenge. Berserker King is middle, since while he hits hard, he does give free turns with charging. Amalgolem would be top, I guess, at least if you don’t know what you’re doing. It’s been too long since I fought Chimera, so I don’t remember details.

And I never played 3, though if they’re making stock of him, Narmer can’t be that tough :v:

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Woo, one vote and an imaginary d6 made a difference!

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Hardest is easily Amalgolem hands down. Definitely one of the most involved first stratum bosses in the series, with a lot you have to juggle. It really asks you to analyze what your own party is capable of doing, and to capitalize on it properly, as there are multiple ways of tackling this battle, but the strategies available will very much depend on your party.

Narmer isn't too bad if you know how to deal with him, but he's more of a newbie check. Most bosses in general can be shut down with proper preparation, but this especially rings true for Narmer. He has a few surprises that can catch newbies off guard and can cause them to struggle, what with the Marsh Dive mechanic and the fact that you are probably screwed if you didn't bring a tent and your party isn't built optimally to tear him down. But if you are prepared, he doesn't really do all that much in the actual battles compared to the other first bosses. What with EO1 and 2 Fenrir and Chimaera being able to maul you pretty hard through sheer damage while Narmer can't really do much of the same. (Note that this doesn't really apply to Wicked Silurus in Nexus, as there are some vital mechanic changes + weirdass jank that flip the fight on its head.)

EO1 and 2's first bosses are more about management of external factors on top of being able to deal with the big guy. Fenrir just hits really hard, but the Skoll swarms can make things hair pulling if your party's too slow to take down Fenrir. Chimaera is basically about keeping the Slaveimps at bay, as once one enters the battle, the clock is ticking as they can heal it and boost Chimaera's damage, when it already hits pretty hard. Of the 2 I'd say Chimaera is harder, as Fenrir is a lot easier to burst down if you have an Alchemist, and Chimaera's moveset is a lot more devastating, where Fenrir either uses a row attack, or uses a regular attack. Probably one of the tougher first bosses if you don't resort to the utter cheese 2 has.

Berserker King himself isn't that bad, as long as you solve the puzzle and don't try to fight him face first. It won't end well, it just won't. The Delay Charge mechanic has multiple ways to deal with it, and by this point you should be very prepared for it since the forced Bloodbear fight was a small preview of what you'll really be facing later. If you're missing out on damage, you can use Burst skills to squeeze out more from the party. Or alternatively, disable him during that time. Even if your damage sucks, Berserker King can't do a drat thing to you if he's arm bound.

EOU Fenrir is a glorified tutorial for 1 very overpowered mechanic, and 1 you probably won't use as much if your navigation skills are good. It's probably the biggest joke boss of the series, outside of Demi-Fafnir from 2U in Classic.

2U Chimaera isn't too rough if you know what you're doing, though it can run a bit long if your party's underpowered. Even if you don't bother sniping the bats, they aren't as huge threats like the Slaveimps were.

Blossombeast is basically a boss fight placed super early before your party can really develop their skills. Not really much to say about it, other than yeah it's not exactly challenging, just runs a bit long because your party can't really do much at that point.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Here's Update 7.

Sorry this took so long! Between the ongoing process of coping with my grandmother's recent passing and my back being hosed up in February and then getting even worse in March before getting a lot better a week or two ago, I've had a Lot going on. I'll try to get updates out with less of a delay.

As a bonus, here's the nightseeker overview.

Rea fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Apr 6, 2022

Haar_Dragon
Aug 21, 2015
Gotta love how two of the dragons' names get appropriately babified, and the third becomes a Lovecraftian Eldritch Abomination.

Also wow, ZerkKing is already kind of a chump but that fight was just rude. This here is why I love shutdown parties. Sometimes you don't work and you're smashing your face into a brick wall until RNG decides to cooperate. Other times, "What boss?"

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Nightseekers are just super nuts. I'm sure you could nerf that class skill to max out at 2x damage and they'd still tear the game into shreds.

Venom Throw's internal data threw me back when it got unearthed. Like sure, it just straight up has the best infliction, and several bosses and FOEs are real weak to Poison. Okay.

Curse Throw isn't a "we need an ailment on this thing" like Nexus gave it. It's just straight up bad in this game. Venom Throw has that niche in 4.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

I'm just about caught up to the LP! In that I managed to survive the big boss bear with my Fortress still alive at 12HP and nobody else, and I needed to set it down after that today. Still, this LP has been really informative and certainly made things a lot more manageable than they'd otherwise be, starting out.

Oublietteer
Jul 30, 2018

Is that you, Edea Lee?
That was brutal. Well played.

Also, I remember using the throws for all my damage, because they were ranged and they could stay in the back row. They got a LOT better when I realized they have actually good attacks.

JeffRaze
Mar 13, 2021
A Follow Traced Swift Edge on an enemy with an ailment that's been hit by a link is the most satisfying thing in the world.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

That boss fight was just sad.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
:rip: Berserker King

thoroughly destroyed

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Here rests Berserker King.
He never scored (a punch).

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Here's Update 8.

Here's the Fortress overview, too.

Apologies for the continuing delays with updating this LP, real life keeps happening so much. I'm already working on Update 9, at least, which will include the Sniper overview as well.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Lotta EO3 throwback enemies in this land, huh? Great Lynxes are way less scary than their EO3 counterparts, who were practically placed at the beginning of the game and could one shot your fledgling guild members much to the horror of many starting players. Here, they exist. That's all that can really be said about them.

The Night Shard gather point is also rigged to give out 1 guaranteed drop if you don't have it by the end.

Weak Shield is utterly ridiculous and it absolutely deserved the nerfs it got in 2U. Sure the whole "but taking my party below 50% HP sounds like a hassle" is a thing. Except there's one very easy solution for that. Fly into a tornado. That's it. That'll send everyone to 1 HP instantly, which will prep any Weak Shield strats. Though Tornados do have a chance of killing someone, so have some Nectars on hand if that happens.

The whole "redirection considers the redirector to be in the front row" aspect was a correction to a hilarious oversight from 3, where you could just place the residential tank class in the back row to completely benefit from an additional 50% damage reduction on top of redirection. Especially since sad tank class was incredibly hard to kill in the first place even without exploiting that. Needless to say it's understandable why 4 immediately got rid of that exploit.

Also Prevent Order in 3 was bugged to be used up on any infliction attempt, even if said attempt would fail. Knight's Boon was fixed to only be used up on actual inflictions, which is a huge buff to an already amazing skill. Shame Refresh Waltz exists now, which basically kinda invalidates Knight's Boon, but the option is there if you need it.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 07:12 on May 9, 2022

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Happy Mother's Day to Harper's moms.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I should buy & play Tales of Arise uh?

Checking Google, Kisara's design seems good civilization.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Here's Update 9.

And here's the Sniper overview.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
I'm really enjoying the lp; your characters are very well developed and written.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Ah, Snipers. Fun class but their master tree is a big oof. At least Squall Volley is good but it's a shame.

High Caution might seem like overkill in a game where blindsides are ridiculously uncommon, but it works on event blindsides! And some of those formations can be nasty as hell!

Chase Bind is very unfortunate. That was the result of a bug not causing the damage to scale. It's supposed to go up to 145%... which isn't great but at least it's something more than the poor 100% it's stuck with.

Silver Arrow has a couple of things that make it better than an Almighty attack. While it ignores the Stab damage multipliers, it's still considered Stab damage, so it benefits from attack buffs and defense debuffs, which Almighty damage typically doesn't outside of some exceptions.

I have no idea what the hell is up with Impact Arrow. Like uh. What the hell is this skill? Did they forget to give it Imperial tier damage or something?? Why is this a Master skill???

Oh Divine Shot. At least people can understand what this skill was going for, even if the penalties outweigh the rewards. This thing is just anti fun because most of the time, Squall Volley spam is just better.

I did a 5 Sniper run once, where you'd think it's be easier to set up for Divine Shot. Nope, it's even worse in that kind of run! The main problem is that only 1 person can use it, and that everyone spamming Squall Volley is actually objectively more damage.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Here's Update 10.

Not dead yet. Already got the next update mostly ready to go, but both my co-commentator and I are dealing with moving early next month, so it may be a bit before that gets posted. After that's done, hopefully I get more than one update out a month, as I have averaged so far...

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Glad to see another update of this LP. Really enjoying the character interactions here.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Better a slow and steady LP than a fast one that burns you out.

Good luck with the move!

Rip_Van_Winkle fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jul 26, 2022

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Here's Update 11.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
Whoo-oof! That was a helluva an emotional update. Your writing is really engaging and enjoyable.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
For some reason, I had totally forgotten this thread exists.

After finally catching up, I got inspired to fire up my old 3DS again to see what I was doing last time I played EOIV.

The two things I noticed: First, after over a year of lying in storage, the drat thing still had a full battery. What the hell, Nintendo? My old PSPs tended to die after a couple days at most, what kind of witchcraft is this???

The second thing was me loading a map-save and standing just one step from encountering the boss of the 2nd land. I was completely, absurdly overleveled because as I suddenly remembered, I kept dying to her.

Thanks to this thread, I realized I had died over and over because I wasn't properly using the many different afflictions and binds my party brought to the table, and so I managed a fairly easy victory this time around. Huh.

Also, maybe I should finally move my Medic from the frontline, as she kept taking lethal hits and without my sizable stash of nectars, this fight would have ended comically badly. :v:

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Here's Update 12.

Finally recovered from a few months of exhaustion! I already have Update 13 ready to go soon after this, so look forward to that.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Ah, sheep farming. I remember when that was a common piece of advice that spread like wildfire back in the day.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Surely it must count as animal husbandry, not farming? :v:

The game really isn't balanced for early Imperials. Lol at that Dinogator getting pasted from above half life.

Edit: to be fair early Imperials is either NG+ or an hack and no game can be balanced around those.

LPFinale
Dec 8, 2019
Shelly's mom took any filter she had and threw it out the window into the sea when it came time to tell the bards of her exploits

...also Ace and Merula are precious. :3: That is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Here's Update 13.

And here's the overview for the next boss, Hollow Queen.

Voting is open for the Hollow Queen party! Please check the overview first before voting, to make sure you know what characters are guaranteed to be brought along.

Rea fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Nov 30, 2022