Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Meanwhile Hikaru is not remotely crushed and happy to go back to his day job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Here's a piece of beginner chess advice that I should listen to because it just lost me yet another exchange: before you attack a Knight with a pawn, draw an arrow to ALL EIGHT places that Knight can go. Even to its own pieces.

So many Knight blunders, from personal experience, are calculating how you're fine because you "kick the Knight to d2," except then he goes to e3 and you look like a dummy. Draw the arrows every time.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Apr 23, 2024

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

Huxley posted:

Here's a piece of beginner chess advice that I should listen to because it just lost me yet another exchange: before you attack a Knight with a pawn, draw an arrow to ALL EIGHT places that Knight can go. Even to its own pieces.

So many Knight blunders, from personal experience, are calculating how you're fine because you "kick the Knight to d2," except then he goes to e3 and you look like a dummy. Draw the arrows every time.

Bonus points if you do this OTB.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

CubicalSucrose posted:

Bonus points if you do this OTB.

I have played like, 2500 games between the two big sites in the past 18 months and have never in my life played a game over the board.

I should!

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

I have this cute little wooden set I bring to friends or work.
OTB is super enjoyable in good company, in between beers or meals.

One of my most prized possessions, and for only 26 euros.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Huxley posted:

I have played like, 2500 games between the two big sites in the past 18 months and have never in my life played a game over the board.

I should!

When playing over the board as a beginner make sure you're playing against someone better than you, because in my experience I really need someone to tell me when checkmate has happened.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
An old man at the park invited me to play chess with him when we met up (almost daily back then), which I gladly took up thinking I'd have an ersatz, skilled coach -- he was terrible.

Not only was he terrible but he refused any advice I had, so he just stayed terrible. I myself am Very Bad but only ever lost by blundering insanely, effectively beating myself.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

an old guy used to hang out at a bar i went to used to watch us play chess and give me bad ideas that were obviously not going to work. and then last year he suddenly collapsed on his walk back home and died. rip.

khazar sansculotte
May 14, 2004

Yeah sudden collapse after a bad move is pretty common.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I was playing chess on a plane a year ago and the guy next to me noticed and asked a question or two and then suggested a move, and I showed him how that immediately hung my rook, and then he didn't suggest any more moves

I'm not good at chess but it's fun how much better a ~1050 rated player is than a rando on a plane

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Leperflesh posted:

I was playing chess on a plane a year ago and the guy next to me noticed and asked a question or two and then suggested a move, and I showed him how that immediately hung my rook, and then he didn't suggest any more moves

I'm not good at chess but it's fun how much better a ~1050 rated player is than a rando on a plane

Chess players fly a ton, someone must have done a speedrun type video on an airplane against a noob in another seat.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Salt Fish posted:

Chess players fly a ton, someone must have done a speedrun type video on an airplane against a noob in another seat.

Gonna need a vid of Hikaru playing randos on that chess app all of those airplane entertainment systems have

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

dupersaurus posted:

Gonna need a vid of Hikaru playing randos on that chess app all of those airplane entertainment systems have

Speaking of, I recently realized I can play chess on the embedded MS Edge app on my work computer. Even on the highest ELO it's terrible so it makes for a great time waster at work. Still can't figure out how to play as black tho.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

Speaking of, I recently realized I can play chess on the embedded MS Edge app on my work computer. Even on the highest ELO it's terrible so it makes for a great time waster at work. Still can't figure out how to play as black tho.

h3

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Salt Fish posted:

Lmfao. Grand master playing a simul against every single person on the plane.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

e6
(premove) Ke7
(premove) Ke8

bort
Mar 13, 2003

The Cheshire Cat posted:

When playing over the board as a beginner make sure you're playing against someone better than you, because in my experience I really need someone to tell me when checkmate has happened.
I was wondering how many times I've castled through check.

khazar sansculotte
May 14, 2004

Crossed 1700 on standard tactics rating at chesstempo with this one.

Hint: hard to see, easy to calculate

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

khazar sansculotte posted:

Crossed 1700 on standard tactics rating at chesstempo with this one.

Hint: hard to see, easy to calculate
is it just pawn to f5? seems like black is at best losing their queen

khazar sansculotte
May 14, 2004

jesus WEP posted:

is it just pawn to f5? seems like black is at best losing their queen

Yes, the slightly tricky line continues with 1...Ne3. E: sorry, I meant 1...Rxg2+ 2.Kxg2 Ne3+, although the first one is good to think about too.

khazar sansculotte fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Apr 27, 2024

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
I am once again asking

That when people post puzzle, they include a lichess link

FEN 3R4/6bk/p5pp/1p5q/2n2P1N/6B1/r5PK/3Q4 w

Aggro fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Apr 28, 2024

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Yes please, the amount of times I've tried drawing right click lines on a JPEG makes me look very stupid

khazar sansculotte
May 14, 2004

OK here's another one just to start Building Habits. This is a famous tactic but worth seeing again even if you already have.

FEN: 5rk1/pp4pp/4p3/2R3Q1/3n4/2q4r/P1P2PPP/5RK1 b - - 0 1
link

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

khazar sansculotte posted:

OK here's another one just to start Building Habits. This is a famous tactic but worth seeing again even if you already have.

FEN: 5rk1/pp4pp/4p3/2R3Q1/3n4/2q4r/P1P2PPP/5RK1 b - - 0 1
link

I don't get it. This is clearly winning without any tactics...