Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Another interesting/instructive loss.

https://lichess.org/1qOfsrZXKXiR

My two worst moves were, what I considered in the moment, perfectly reasonable tactics where I just didn't see their response through.

10. Qe5+ (hoping for Be7 Qxg7 Rf8 and now I can move the Knight off f3 because g2 is defended) but instead of course he forces the Queen trade that sends me into an endgame with double isolated pawns. Duh. Computer said: apparently castles and letting him trade on f3 is fine.

19. Nxc7 (hoping for Kxc7 Re4 with a discovered check, taking the Bishop up a pawn and his King exposed) but opponent had +4 minutes on the clock and used 1+ of them find Bd6 with me under a minute. Moving the Knight to b5 in the first place is what got me into the trouble, Nd5 was safer and on 19, counterattacking with a3 was best. I also blew WAY too much time here. I had 3:05 on the clock when he 17. ... a6 and it took me nearly 3 minutes to make my next 3 moves (under 10 seconds when I sacrificed the exchange on f5).

I eventually, mostly, equalize before flagging (in 10+5, ugh) but still a few good lessons here.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Mar 20, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khazar sansculotte
May 14, 2004

Don't play the opening on autopilot!

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

khazar sansculotte posted:

Don't play the opening on autopilot!
you just temporarily sac the knight to win the bishop after Qh4+ or is there something stronger than that?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

jesus WEP posted:

you just temporarily sac the knight to win the bishop after Qh4+ or is there something stronger than that?

Qh4+ g3 Qe4+ wins the exchange

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

jesus WEP posted:

Yeah white is forced to block with the pawn and you win the rook.

This is a pattern I recognize instantly from playing a hundred games in the Danish gambit where the same thing happens:

1. e4, e5
2. d4, f3
3. dxe, fxe
4. qh5+ -> the only legal moves are moving the king out or g7.

Its also a trap in the Damiano.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

silvergoose posted:

Qh4+ g3 Qe4+ wins the exchange
g3 isn’t forced, white’s probably better just moving their king right?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Oh Kf1 derp yeah you right.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

you’re probably also right in that most people will already be tilted enough to compound the mistake lol

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

jesus WEP posted:

g3 isn’t forced, white’s probably better just moving their king right?

*throws hands up* I GUESS so

(you're right, but also that's not a great place to be either)

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

when you sac your knight can't they just ignore it and sac their bishop into a pawn, too, and then if you take they take and it's even?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

cock hero flux posted:

when you sac your knight can't they just ignore it and sac their bishop into a pawn, too, and then if you take they take and it's even?

You can play the check anyway and grab the extra pawn.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Salt Fish posted:

You can play the check anyway and grab the extra pawn.

Right, but if they block the check with g3, do you not have to move the queen or lose it? And there's no undefended pieces for the queen take from there. The idea is they take the knight, you check with the queen and then slip over the now open rank to take the bishop. But the pawn is still blocking that rank, and it's defended by g3 now, and the bishop isn't there anyway.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

cock hero flux posted:

Right, but if they block the check with g3, do you not have to move the queen or lose it? And there's no undefended pieces for the queen take from there. The idea is they take the knight, you check with the queen and then slip over the now open rank to take the bishop. But the pawn is still blocking that rank, and it's defended by g3 now, and the bishop isn't there anyway.

I hate this game.

khazar sansculotte
May 14, 2004

cock hero flux posted:

After Bxe6 black has Nd3+! Requiring cxd3 and after dxe6 white has to contort themselves to defend the f4 and c3 pawns while black develops with tempo with Be6, b6 (allowing Bb7 threatening the rook or Ba6 threatening the c3 pawn). In most lines the engine eventually gives up one or both pawns.

The actual game went 4...Nxe5 5.fxe5 Qh4+ 6.g3 Qe4+ 7.Kf2 Qxh1 8.d4 Qxh2+ 9.Kf3 Qh1+ 0-1. Rough for a 1600 rated player in a daily game, but I've hung mate in 1 from a +8.0 position in a daily game before...

khazar sansculotte
May 14, 2004

jesus WEP posted:

There isn't, but you have to see the Nd3+ idea I mentioned above to make it work. Chess.com gave Nxe5 a !!, presumably because of that, otherwise it is just a super common tactic.

khazar sansculotte fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Mar 21, 2024

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Salt Fish posted:

I hate this game.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
my ui on ches.com turned white and i can't figure out how to change it back :negative:

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
There's a light UI/dark UI toggle at the bottom of my browser that changes some stuff back and forth but not the entire page.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Huxley posted:

There's a light UI/dark UI toggle at the bottom of my browser that changes some stuff back and forth but not the entire page.

Oh bless you

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

I checked to see what white looked like and .. good god

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

https://lichess.org/training/VejYM

I like this lichess puzzle.

There are two tactics. The second one is a defensive move.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

This is one of those I will never be able to see very far into the future, just play the best available move. (I got it the first time :smugdog:)

Here's one for y'all. This puzzle from this book claims it's white to mate in 68.

I loaded it up in lichess/sf with "run forever" settings. After a very, very long time it still says 0.0 Did I get the pieces/colors right? Is this some "ponder perpetual motion" exercise? A joke?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I don't know that exact position but it might be a 50 move rule thing where Stockfish would call it a draw because of that. There are some funky positions that are very long forced mates that can't actually be done because your opponent is allowed to claim a draw before the line is finished.

khazar sansculotte
May 14, 2004

Unless I'm just misunderstanding, it's white to move and force black to mate in 68. The engine eval is going to tell you the best moves, but the puzzle wants you to find the worst. It's a joke in some sense, but self-mating is a legit puzzle genre.

khazar sansculotte
May 14, 2004

Actually "worst moves" is not a good way of putting it. Imagine both players are trying as hard as they can to lose. Can you force black to win despite themselves?

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
That makes (slightly) more sense.

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die

khazar sansculotte posted:

Unless I'm just misunderstanding, it's white to move and force black to mate in 68. The engine eval is going to tell you the best moves, but the puzzle wants you to find the worst. It's a joke in some sense, but self-mating is a legit puzzle genre.

I don't think it can be a selfmate problem. I think it's just old-timey language for mate in 68. But the tablebase says it's a draw.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
from a blitz game. find the winning move for white!

its a quiet move

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Helianthus Annuus posted:

its a quiet move

That's a nice little puzzle

So, what did you do instead?

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

its a quiet move

Is it Qh7? There doesn't seem to be a way for black to extricate itself quickly enough. Black must move the queen out of the way to avoid being mated, and then will lose the knight and rook.

of note, the heroic white knight prevents black from making a battery and spoiling any idea of Qg2#

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

fisting by many posted:

Is it Qh7? There doesn't seem to be a way for black to extricate itself quickly enough. Black must move the queen out of the way to avoid being mated, and then will lose the knight and rook.

of note, the heroic white knight prevents black from making a battery and spoiling any idea of Qg2#

thats right, but black is getting checkmated after Qh7

PerniciousKnid posted:

That's a nice little puzzle

So, what did you do instead?

i played Re3 with the idea to get both rooks on the H file :frogbon:

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Even after that I'm struggling to find a way to untangle black. I guess g6 and Qc7 would be my candidate moves

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

ahh right, Qxf7# will not be defended by the black queen if it sidles along the 7th rank -- the king will be in its way.

I think black can prolong the suffering by starting with Qxd6 but I guess there's just a ladder mate or something soon after black loses all its pieces

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

fisting by many posted:

ahh right, Qxf7# will not be defended by the black queen if it sidles along the 7th rank -- the king will be in its way.

I think black can prolong the suffering by starting with Qxd6 but I guess there's just a ladder mate or something soon after black loses all its pieces

I plonked it into lichess and the move discussed here leads to forced checkmate in 8

Here's the full continuation:

1.Qh7...Qxd6
2.cxd6... Ke8
3.Qxg8+... Kd7
4.Qxb8... e5
5.Re8... Bd5
6.Qc7+... Kxe8
7.d7+... Ke7
8.d8=R+ ... (This was very weird, I can't figure out why stockfish wants to promote to a rook here. I forced promotion to a queen and it's still
8.d8=Q+ ...Ke6
9.Qdd7#

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I think engines are usually programmed to underpromote when they can, as a joke

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

that'd be amazing if that's true

I was trying to see if there was some stalemate move that underpromoting avoids but I don't see one, so maybe that is actually true though: a general rule to underpromote when that leads to checkmate anyway will spend less processing power on finding lines that avoid stalemates?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Is there any contrived or joke position where promoting to a queen is undesirable compared to a rook?

edit: not counting the joke castling one I posted earlier
edit2: oh a stalemate situation that does make sense

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah. For example,

In this position, if white promotes to a queen, black is in stalemate. White must underpromote (or move the king).

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

that'd be amazing if that's true

I was trying to see if there was some stalemate move that underpromoting avoids but I don't see one, so maybe that is actually true though: a general rule to underpromote when that leads to checkmate anyway will spend less processing power on finding lines that avoid stalemates?

i'm pretty sure it's just that two moves that lead to mate in the same number of moves are considered to be functionally identical as far as the engine is concerned, so it doesn't acknowledge the idea that underpromoting isn't a natural move for humans to take. when it has two moves that lead to identical lines it has to give priority to one of them somehow and however it does that tends to favour underpromotion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khazar sansculotte
May 14, 2004

This is a famous endgame study that was thought to be a draw until someone realized there was an underpromotion tactic: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saavedra_position

There's also a trap in the Albin Countergambit featuring an underpromotion on move 7: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albin_Countergambit,_Lasker_Trap

While we're talking about endgame studies, I'm working through Yusupov's books and came across this composition by Rinck. Took me about half an hour to solve. White to move: