Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Seemed simple but then I asked myself what if the king moves to not-g6 after the first check and now idk

E: wait I think I have it but can't write it all out on my phone in the car

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Mar 28, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

regulargonzalez posted:

Seemed simple but then I asked myself what if the king moves to not-g6 after the first check and now idk

E: wait I think I have it but can't write it all out on my phone in the car

it does not fit in this margin energy right here

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

khazar sansculotte posted:

This is a famous endgame study that was thought to be a draw until someone realized there was an underpromotion tactic: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saavedra_position

There's also a trap in the Albin Countergambit featuring an underpromotion on move 7: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albin_Countergambit,_Lasker_Trap

While we're talking about endgame studies, I'm working through Yusupov's books and came across this composition by Rinck. Took me about half an hour to solve. White to move:

ng5+ king moves, nxf3. C2 is then met with ng1, and they can't promote because stalemate, giving you time to play ne2 and guard the promotion square.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

They could promote to knight or bishop tho

khazar sansculotte
May 14, 2004

Then simply Nxh3 and black has insufficient material to mate.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
Swindled a draw this cycle of games. I don't understand why people resign at (whatever poo poo rating I play at), we're all terrible at converting safely.

Also, Candidates is soon, looking forward to watching a bunch of games.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

While we're talking about endgame studies, I'm working through Yusupov's books and came across this composition by Rinck. Took me about half an hour to solve. White to move:

White to win or draw? Because it looks like you can force a draw by forking the king and taking the f pawn, then getting the knight to g1. If they promote you stalemate. If they make waiting king moves, you make waiting knight moves. It doesn't matter if they promote with the knight off of g1 because it hops back into block and then they get zugzwanged because the only moves are stalemating you or yeeting their queen. The only problem with this I can see is that if they bring their king all the way down they can cover both squares that work for waiting knight moves. I think if they do that then you can instead hop down to c1 and block their promotion and then if the king comes down and tries to do something about that you bounce away to b2 and they can't follow you without also blocking their pawn and you can probably dance around back to cover g1 and keep it going until you hit 50 moves. There might be something wrong with this but that feels like it'd work.

khazar sansculotte
May 14, 2004

cock hero flux posted:

White to win or draw? Because it looks like you can force a draw by forking the king and taking the f pawn, then getting the knight to g1. If they promote you stalemate. If they make waiting king moves, you make waiting knight moves. It doesn't matter if they promote with the knight off of g1 because it hops back into block and then they get zugzwanged because the only moves are stalemating you or yeeting their queen. The only problem with this I can see is that if they bring their king all the way down they can cover both squares that work for waiting knight moves. I think if they do that then you can instead hop down to c1 and block their promotion and then if the king comes down and tries to do something about that you bounce away to b2 and they can't follow you without also blocking their pawn and you can probably dance around back to cover g1 and keep it going until you hit 50 moves. There might be something wrong with this but that feels like it'd work.

White to draw, although if after 1.Ng5+ Kf6 2.Nxf3 c2 3.Ng1 black plays any king move, white can suddenly win with 4.Ne2 followed by playing 5.Kg1! in response to any king move, which is a good exercise to work out in its own right.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
I'm sick of getting my cheeks clapped by the queen's gambit. someone tell me how to play it as black.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Arrhythmia posted:

I'm sick of getting my cheeks clapped by the queen's gambit. someone tell me how to play it as black.

tarrasch defence

the key to defeating openings that people learn from youtube guides is a response that is fundamentally sound but which nobody plays and which looks substantially different from most other responses. most of your opponents that play these openings will disintegrate immediately as soon as they enter territory that they haven't been specifically taught about.

cock hero flux fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 1, 2024

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Regular-degular queens gambit declined is probably the most robust, bulletproof response against it.

If you're a Caro player vs e4 you can play the Slav for the familiarity of the structure

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I play Queens gambit and the response that annoys me the most is the semi-slav structure. It bores me to death and then I make a tactical mistake while distracted.

I still think that the kings indian is the most fun response, but I do enjoy it as white and black.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

cock hero flux posted:

tarrasch defence

the key to defeating openings that people learn from youtube guides is a response that is fundamentally sound but which nobody plays and which looks substantially different from most other responses. most of your opponents that play these openings will disintegrate immediately as soon as they enter territory that they haven't been specifically taught about.

quote:

Tarrasch continued to play his opening while rejecting other variations of the Queen's Gambit, even to the point of putting question marks on routine moves in all variations except the Tarrasch (which he awarded an exclamation mark) in his book

lmfao

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It's really mostly about picking something with a plan. You see d4 so much more infrequently, it's easy to just put your pieces on happy-feeling squares and hope it works out for you rather than learn something, but it's really beneficial to have 3-4 moves and an overall idea.

Like the Ragozin, which is just d5, e6, Nf6, Bb4 and trade when they play a3. Now: what do you do if they play a3 before Nc3? What if they play Nf3 and just delay playing Nc3 altogether? What if they never play a3?

Now you have a plan and you have a couple of backup plans. Things are going to go wrong and you're still going to lose. But now you had a PLAN that didn't work rather than just a ??? that didn't work, and you can start to unravel it from a perspective of actually wanting something other than just winning.

My personal plan against d4 is a combo of the Noteboom and Stonewall.

You play it to here:

Now, basically everything White can do either does or does NOT defend the c4 pawn.

If they play Nf3 we go dxc, e3, b5 and move the bishop over. Trade the Bishop for the Knight and you have given up the Bishop pair for two crazy powerful advanced pawns. The rest of the game is going to be about promoting one of those.

Why did I pick this? Dead honest, because as soon as I looked at this position my brain went, "Oh that's Lord of the Rings!"

Gandalf (Q), Legolas (LSB), Gimli and Aragorn (Ns) create distractions while Sam and Frodo (b and c pawns) sneak into Mordor. I'll never forget that. It's a plan I'm not going to execute perfectly, but it's a plan. It's me wanting something other than abstractly winning.

If they play e3 (2nd most popular move) that whole thing doesn't work. But what did they give up to defend that pawn? They locked up their DSB. So we play f4 and now our semi-slav is a stonewall dutch.

Nd7, Ne4, make captures toward the a8-h1 diagonal and attack the Kingside. I'm never going to execute it perfectly, but again ... it's a plan.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 1, 2024

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

That's really funny

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Tarrash is pretty strange.
I think I posted this pic from his beginner book before:

Page 46: And this concluded the section on how when you can win Q vs rook pawn and how to avoid allowing your opponent to go into the drawn variants from the previous page.
Page 47: The knight is the piece that looks like a horse. It moves like so...

khazar sansculotte
May 14, 2004

Arrhythmia posted:

The stock answer is to play an orthodox QGD (d5, e6, Nf6, Be7). What's your level? What time control(s) do you mostly play? What are you currently playing against the QG? What do you play against 1.e4?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

The stock answer is to play an orthodox QGD (d5, e6, Nf6, Be7). What's your level? What time control(s) do you mostly play? What are you currently playing against the QG? What do you play against 1.e4?

1200 chess.com, 3+0. Usually 1. d4 d5 2. c4 e6 without much of a plan. e5 against e4 as God intended, usually aiming to the Giuoco Piano.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Arrhythmia posted:

1200 chess.com, 3+0. Usually 1. d4 d5 2. c4 e6 without much of a plan. e5 against e4 as God intended, usually aiming to the Giuoco Piano.

idk why but that was really funny to me

khazar sansculotte
May 14, 2004

Arrhythmia posted:

I might consider 1.d4 c5, aiming for a Benko Gambit, but with the added bonus of sometimes catching people hanging their d-pawn if they carelessly blitz out their London/Colle moves.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
Alternatively if having a plan sounds like too much effort and and you want to bring the enemy down to your level, the Nimzo-Indian is so solid that almost all opponents go into random legal move mode.
There are some lines with simple plans that don't require much knowledge like f3 Nimzo aiming for eventual e4, but I almost never see these.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Just play the baltic defense, live a little, have some fun, lose same chess games come on its the baltic!

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

CubicalSucrose posted:

Candidates is soon, looking forward to watching a bunch of games.

I'm getting really psyched up. Hoping it's Hikaru's year.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Thanks for the advice. I just beat my highest rated opponent ever through the great technique of having them do a bunch of blunders in a row.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
wtf my av

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
the road to World Champion Gukesh starts today, get your tickets for the D Train while they're cheap

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Does anybody host office pools for chess tournaments?

khazar sansculotte
May 14, 2004

Super unlikely, but I think it would be sweet and cool as hell if Praggnanandhaa and Vaishali both went all the way.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

how is gukesh younger than prag lmao

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
Wow four draws. Very exciting.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

all the games apart from nepo’s were pretty good, prag vs alireza was really good!

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

Seven* draws, one decisive, not the one I'd have expected.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

jesus WEP posted:

all the games apart from nepo’s were pretty good, prag vs alireza was really good!

Yeah. Like, there's a difference between "they did a Berlin draw, they didn't want to play chess" and then the actual games we had. (though, agreed, maybe except for Abasov - Nepo, that one wasn't too exciting)

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

enjoying judit on commentary, she’s always roasting the other commentators for not seeing the same aggressive tactics she does

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

jesus WEP posted:

enjoying judit on commentary, she’s always roasting the other commentators for not seeing the same aggressive tactics she does

I was about to come say the same thing. She's so blunt about things.

Also, I am convinced Hikaru's whole, "doing it for the content I literally don't care" schtick is him trying to play a trick on himself to get over nerves. I'll be interesting to see if he can maintain that tone if he does another video tonight. He definitely looks like a dude who cares right this second.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Huxley posted:

I was about to come say the same thing. She's so blunt about things.

Also, I am convinced Hikaru's whole, "doing it for the content I literally don't care" schtick is him trying to play a trick on himself to get over nerves. I'll be interesting to see if he can maintain that tone if he does another video tonight. He definitely looks like a dude who cares right this second.
he said the same stuff last year and it was obvious at the end he was super sad to throw in the last game

i don’t really like hikaru but it would probably be really good for chess to have him in the world championship match so idk

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Lotsa results you love to see it!

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Sorry for this incredibly noob question but:

Black O-O-O's here, after I specifically positioned my bishop to stop it. Is everything I learned about chess wrong?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

the king can’t castle through check but a rook can castle through the squares a bishop attacks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

jesus WEP posted:

the king can’t castle through check but a rook can castle through the squares a bishop attacks

Goddamn, I feel like such a noobie now