Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Captain von Trapp posted:

What blows my ~1100 mind is how they're so good tactically that there's no tactics. All of my games have Benny Hill level tactics, wild swings of the eval, etc.

These guys, it's like watching an arm wrestling match between hydraulic presses. Incredible power, little motion.

(Image from Game 1)

There's also a question of, for when they do gently caress up, how bad the mistakes are. As Giri pointed out in the Chess24 stream, c6 by Carlsen was likely played because he missed that white would have e5, and he missed that white would have e5 because there's a sub-line where white is playing Nd6 and Nd6 is something you can miss because it's not possible before you play c6. The consequence of all this isn't that the position changes its mathematical evaluation, but rather an already-equalish position is quickly reduced from one where there is play to one where the draw is confirmed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
Game 3 draw and I'm glad I'm half paying attention to the Q+A afterward:
"Today's game was analyzed in a database up through move 20 two days ago. If this turned out to be one of your team forgetting to mark it private, how would you react?"
Magnus: "no comment"
Then the next question was about brain drug chess doping :lol:

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
https://twitter.com/anishgiri/status/1464988214142410761

We don’t deserve Giri.

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
This is my first time following a WC live, and honestly I'm surprised at how thrilling a draw can be. It means that both players performed extremely well over an entire game in response to a very tough opponent -- maybe the highest quality of outcome possible.

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Sic transit gloria. Maybe we'll meet again someday, when the fighting stops.
i know what you mean, but i'd be interested in knowing if you still think that in 11 more draws time

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
ha yeah, we'll see. If it's a Ruy Lopez every time Nepo has white, I can see things getting stale too.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
It's also my first time, and I'm not sure I'll be able to follow all games. Watching chess, especially high-level chess, you're constantly trying to deconstruct the moves, trying to figure out what their overall strategy is... as a newcomer, it's pretty taxing. My brain is already smoking after three days, pretty sure I'm gonna skip a whole bunch and tune back in at the end.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

busalover posted:

It's also my first time, and I'm not sure I'll be able to follow all games. Watching chess, especially high-level chess, you're constantly trying to deconstruct the moves, trying to figure out what their overall strategy is... as a newcomer, it's pretty taxing. My brain is already smoking after three days, pretty sure I'm gonna skip a whole bunch and tune back in at the end.

Just imagine that you understand it. It's not like there's a quiz at the end. Anyway, that's my strategy for most chess.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

joe football posted:

I only do puzzles because I know I'd just get incredibly :argh: playing actual chess

busalover posted:

This is me. Online pvp raises my anxiety too much, no matter what game.

I recommend anonymous unrated play. No rating change, no history of losses, just throwaway games. Your opponents will be completely random, which can be fun by itself. One game, someone sweeps the floor with you, another game, they disconnect after failing scholar's mate, third game, pretty equal, etc.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
You can also turn rating displays off across the board on lichess, if you want that but still with matchmaking.

Pengwin
Apr 3, 2007

MIND MIND MIND

Redmark posted:

You can also turn rating displays off across the board on lichess, if you want that but still with matchmaking.

I've got an alt account on lichess with ratings hidden and all communications/challenges disabled. Rank pressure has a real use for most players trying to improve, but I often find playing on this kind of account more enjoyable.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Zen mode on Lichess is the best.

Also anyone have recs on post game breakdowns? Chessnetwork is my usual but always up for finding something new.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Teddybear posted:

Every time that Carlsen puts the title up, I say "boy, this is the time I get really into chess and give it a go," and then I never actually end up doing it. This time... maybe.

it might be a bit late to start training to challenge for the title, at your age

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
Maybe a dumb question: what is the purpose of the touch-move rule in OTB chess? If I had to guess I'd say it's to punish players for not thinking through their move before touching; but if you touch a piece with no legal moves, there's no penalty, which seems to avoid punishment for the arguably worse offense. Is that just because such situations are rare enough in high-level play that no one cares either way?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Voodoofly posted:

Zen mode on Lichess is the best.

Also anyone have recs on post game breakdowns? Chessnetwork is my usual but always up for finding something new.

Powerplay Chess is another good one as well.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Redmark posted:

Maybe a dumb question: what is the purpose of the touch-move rule in OTB chess? If I had to guess I'd say it's to punish players for not thinking through their move before touching; but if you touch a piece with no legal moves, there's no penalty, which seems to avoid punishment for the arguably worse offense. Is that just because such situations are rare enough in high-level play that no one cares either way?

Same concept as why you have to put all the chips you are calling / betting / raising forward at once and not string bet in poker. Your opponent in theory could react and give away information and you should be restricted in how much you can change your action once you have done something that can provoke a reaction.

Compare:

He looks really happy I just called so I am going to push more chips and make it a raise.

He looks happy I am going to take his Knight with my Bishop instead of my Knight so let me change my mind.

Sub Rosa fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Nov 29, 2021

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

Redmark posted:

If you could touch the pieces grandmasters would just be drumming on them shits to bait their opponent into wasting a bunch of brain analyzing decoy lines

Also the above

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Spokes posted:

Yeah it’s kind of like… because chess is so accessible and there are so many great, educational streamers there’s this feeling that if you just put in some time you can be Magnus (or Aman, at least). Just make the right moves! It’s the same thing with esports—you can just boot up the same game Faker plays! I know I can’t play in the NBA but i definitely have the idea that I could grind some computer game and go pro even though that’s equally out of the question

anyway all this to say that it’s perfectly okay to just enjoy the games through Levy’s analysis or whatever without feeling like you’re missing out on playing at an expert+ level—99% of these players devoted years of their youth to it, it’s just hard to remember that

yes im trying to go from < 900 to 2000 in my mid-thirties, do as I say etc

The cool thing about chess is that anyone can play exactly like a GM! Or even a computer! Well, not for an entire game, but at least a few moves of any game.

Whereas with, say, basketball, I cannot make a single move like an NBA player. Even if all I did was throw a 3-pointer and it actually went in, my form would be all screwed up and it would be obvious that I had no idea what I was doing.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

“Touch-move” doesn’t actually exist, it’s just a reductive way of describing the actual state of the rules, which is that a move begins when you touch the piece. The reason you have to move the piece, then, is because you’ve already begun to move it. Touching a piece with no legal moves, then, comes with the penalty for making an illegal move, which if I remember correctly is two minutes added to your opponent’s clock the first time and disqualification the second.

This is actually relevant when you are claiming a draw. If you want to claim a draw for triple repetition, you have to do it in the following way: write your move, stop the clock, and announce you’re calling an arbiter to declare a draw. If you’ve touched a piece you’ve begun your move and so can no longer call for a draw. This can be quite important if the repetition is not forced/sequential, and I’ve seen someone lose after having a claim denied precisely for having touched a piece.

rollick
Mar 20, 2009

Doctor Malaver posted:

I recommend anonymous unrated play. No rating change, no history of losses, just throwaway games. Your opponents will be completely random, which can be fun by itself. One game, someone sweeps the floor with you, another game, they disconnect after failing scholar's mate, third game, pretty equal, etc.

This was really helpful, thanks. I forgot that losing could be fun.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
shelled out for a year of diamond membership on chess .com to try out their new insights thing. Here's where I am right now, my goal is to get rapid/daily over 1600 by this time next year (and i think bullet/blitz will follow but it's not a priority):

i've played way too much bullet without focusing on improvement lol

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Spokes posted:

i've played way too much bullet without focusing on improvement lol

same.

i studied some stuff and went from 1200 to 1500 in lichess bullet and sorta stopped there

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

You are rated the same as me on a good day, but I dropped to like 1k blitz lately.

Would love to hear your plan to reach 1600. Maybe we can share a learning plan

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
One-two punch of ...Bc5?? followed by ...f6?? leads to mate on turn 7

https://lichess.org/9MJaWg2y/white#13

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Lol, at the announcer doing his best ring voice and then having to wait several minutes for Magnus to actually walk in. That was Maurice Ashley, right?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Ooh Petrov

Bharatrocity
Oct 20, 2005

One day son, all I own will still belong to the state

Eh, what the gently caress is that g4 move?

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

I have no idea what to do with the insights on chess.com, I had the same thing with aimchess. I'm 12% less accurate in the middlegame than I am in the opening. I guess that means I need to do a lot more puzzles/tactics but then this is blitz so?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Bharatrocity posted:

Eh, what the gently caress is that g4 move?

Fairly modern. The most basic ideas are quite simple: takes more space than g3 and challenges the f5 square. What modern computers have allowed is for players to practice defending these structures, so they know that g4 is stable even if it looks ugly by classical principles.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Also, Carlsen is playing yet another position I wouldn't be comfortable playing in a thousand years. Black's solidified a-pawn isn't exactly immediately threatening, but it seems like a permanent concern stopping you from doing anything.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Hand Knit posted:

Also, Carlsen is playing yet another position I wouldn't be comfortable playing in a thousand years. Black's solidified a-pawn isn't exactly immediately threatening, but it seems like a permanent concern stopping you from doing anything.

As a fairly high-ranked player, what lessons do you get from high-level play like this? Are you still picking up fundamentals, or is it more like getting a preview of the meta for the next few years?

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
Is it unusual to burn this amount of time on a move? Would you still be going through possible lines, or is this just indecision?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Baronash posted:

Is it unusual to burn this amount of time on a move? Would you still be going through possible lines, or is this just indecision?

If I had to guess, he has a draw in his pocket so it's safe for him to run his clock, so he's looking to see if he has a good way to play for a win.

dupersaurus posted:

As a fairly high-ranked player, what lessons do you get from high-level play like this? Are you still picking up fundamentals, or is it more like getting a preview of the meta for the next few years?

If you want to look at the games that way, there's usually something you can take out of most games. The demonstration of some idea or plan. That said, I'm not exactly looking at these games as an academic exercise.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
Disappointing game from Carlsen. He went directly from prep to draw. Not something you'd expect from the world champion, and one of the best players ever, playing with white pieces.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

jiggerypokery posted:

You are rated the same as me on a good day, but I dropped to like 1k blitz lately.

Would love to hear your plan to reach 1600. Maybe we can share a learning plan

for the next couple months i'm planning to do at least ten puzzles a day (but not significantly more than that), two games at G30 or longer, and review the Insights page along with aimchess daily stuff

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Okay, so question. Where does Chess.com get its puzzles from? It's quite visible that lichess gets them from direct games, but some of Chess.com's puzzles make no loving sense to me because they seem...impractical for real play.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Doctor Malaver posted:

Disappointing game from Carlsen. He went directly from prep to draw. Not something you'd expect from the world champion, and one of the best players ever, playing with white pieces.

The structure of the tournament doesn't really incentivize a player who thinks they're better at rapid to try to win the classical games

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Spokes posted:

for the next couple months i'm planning to do at least ten puzzles a day (but not significantly more than that), two games at G30 or longer, and review the Insights page along with aimchess daily stuff

What kind of puzzles?

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Doctor Malaver posted:

He's also playing one of the best players ever, and both are good enough that even Stockfish can find only a couple centipawns worth of complaint about each move on average. To get a decisive result, one of the players is probably going to need to make a mistake. I can understand why both are reluctant to risk being the one who makes that mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I know that, since chess at the 3600 level is just a guaranteed draw, computer chess tournaments all always start from positions at the edge of theory, playing each position twice (so each program gets to be white). I wonder if that could be adapted to human play for competitions between super GMs? To force them into positions that are more like +0.5 than +0.05.

I already thought of two or three issues with this even as I was typing it, but I don't think that the core idea is wrong that classical chess at the 2800 level is too drawish to really determine the stronger player reliably is far off.