Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
What are the odds that down the line you can have Yoko harm/kill/vivisect her adoptive father? I'm getting some major Zaalbaar/Mission vibes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

update on bottom of last page

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

curiousCat posted:

Of course she has a heavy weapon.
Wait until she reveals her tactical cloaking system..

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

The Church of Augustus Zuckerberg

Welcome back! Last time on Encased we recruited a Terminator disguised as the Weeb-Bot 9000. Today we're gonna be doing some sidequesting and also advancing the main plot a bit.

I know we said we were going to the reactor last time and, uh, I kinda lied. Look, we played some real bad games in the meantime, ok?

I know, CRONUS sucks, let's all act surprised.

Today's quest chain is going to result in us finally not being homeless anymore. Sure, we may have inadvertently destroyed human civilization under the Dome, and our only friends are weird and possibly criminal outcasts, but you know, we can only go up from here. Mostly.

Have I mentioned I love this game's loading screens?

Anyway, we need to talk to this lady to proceed in our quest.

: No. It's not just a smell. It's THE smell. Acrid and dense, it hangs over the cluttered desk like a thundercloud.

: A girl with platinum blond hair and a doll-like face is working on her manicure in the small space not occupied by dirty mugs.

: Ask what the catch is.

: Agree to help in exchange for a room.

: Wonder aloud if there's really no one in all of Magellan Station with the technical knowhow to fix a TV set.

: Enfield winces.

: Of course there is! But everyone's so busy. O'Mallone in room 6, for example. You can't ask him for anything, you can't even talk to him he's so rude.

: Ask what's next on the list.

: Ask her what you should do if you don't know how to pick locks.

: Enfield coughs loudly into her fist.

: Ahem! Uh, you're asking about lockpicks? No, I don't have any, and no, I didn't tell you that.

: Ask what's next on the list.

: Ask her where you should look.

: The administrator looks pointedly towards the Orange residential area.

: I think it's the cleaning staff, start with them. I'm a tiny and delicate girl, but you can intimidate them easily. Here's another option: check the surveillance room, if they'll let you in, of course. Reznor's a bitch, so better ask Indra - he's a nice guy.

: Say you'll start working on these issues right away and move away.

TheGreatEvilKing summary posted:

: Jesus gently caress this woman smells like perfume. It's probably a violation of the Geneva Convention and international standards against chemical warfare, but this is the DOME, motherfucker!

: Hey, would you like a room? I've got a whole bunch of stuff I am supposed to deal with myself but I'm going to dump them off on you.

: I hate being homeless. Hit me!

: Can you fix a television?

: Really?

: Look, there's the guy in room 6 but he's super mean! Come on! Isn't that some kind of Forefather weapon you've crafted there anyway?

: Sure. What's next?

: Unjam the door to room 4 - but remember, I don't have any lockpicks, and using them is super illegal, you know.

: Why not? What else?

: Also, find this gold watch. One of the oranges probably stole it. You could get into the surveillance room, but watch out for that awful woman Reznor!

Naturally, we bust into the room the COOL way, by just loving kicking it with our power armored boot. Sucker!

Hey, it's Twitch streamer CohhCarnage! I'm not transcribing all the dialogue (he confuses you for the food guy) but he was a pretty big booster of the game as I recall. He appears again in another quest later and I think he voices his own dialogue as well.

As a professional engineer who built our own Forefather weapon out of a dead MOBIOS we can of course fix the drat television.

This guy is the thief but I forget what you have to do to make him confess. That's alright, there's another path through this.

Granted, this is probably not the moral path as the New Committee still runs on Orange slave labor, but oh well.

Yes, we get it!

Hey, free flowerpot relic! Score!

I mean, we're probably never going to use it, but it's the thought that counts.

Indra here is a pretty interesting character who we'll be seeing a little more of in the next act.

He's a total bro and will help us find the watch, so we may as well go fix the surveillance station.

: Agree to help.

Also, it's XP.

: Hey my guy, I have no idea who you are but can you fix security cameras?

: Sure.

I guess we better talk to Courtney before we touch the computer.

: The Black crosses her arms.

: Don't touch the equipment!

: Take a closer look at her.

: You examine Courtney.

: She looks sick, weary, and anxious. The edge of a scarf peeks out from under her uniform jacket. She must be chilly because of the air conditioners, although the room isn't particularly cold.

I do like the hint here.

: Say that you have no questions.

Let's try this again.

: Answer that's exactly why you're here.

: Looking over the surveillance system displays, you realize right away that the problem is serious: there's no signal at all from the fourth camera.

: [Perception 6]: Take note of her nails.

: Courtney's nails are definitely not regulation - they're three centimeters long, painted sparkling black, and have almost razor-sharp tips.

: Say that you're starting the repairs now.

Next, to the mainframe and monitors above Dell.

: Check the surveillance terminal.

: Look at the fourth monitor.

Good question. Is it corruption? It's probably corruption.

To access the mainframe we need to use our sweet haxx0r skills.

: Look inside the housing.

: The inside of the mainframe has a thick covering of dust.

: When you find the right video card, you tug it out of its slot.

Because I've played this game before I know what to look for.

: Check the slot itself.

: As your eyes adjust to the darkness, you notice something long and dark stuck between two contacts.

:iiam:

: Wipe the contacts and insert the card in the slot.

: You wipe the contacts with an eraser conveniently left inside the housing, then insert the card in place.

: Reboot the mainframe.

I'm cutting a bunch of dialog about how going through the menus achieves nothing. Let's go check monitor 4 again.

Yeah, it's corruption.

: [Broken Nail] Say that you have found someone's fingernail in the mainframe.

: Look at the Black's hands.

: [Brains 7][Broken Nail] Accuse Courtney of sabotage in an elegant and well argued manner.

: The facts form a neat image in your mind.

: You lay everything out for Courtney. The blatant signs of her drug addiction, her possible collusion with the Oranges, and you make sure to mention that the nail you found is black.

: Reznor turns pale, but rapidly collects herself.

: Is a broken nail your only evidence? You think I'm the only person under the Dome who wears black nail polish? It's a popular color.

: She thinks for a moment and then spreads her hands triumphantly.

: The nails on her left hand are long, like talons, while the ones on her right hand are neatly trimmed.

Oh?

Courtney five minutes ago posted:

You'll note she used a full nail finger there to tap the button. Curious.

: The neatly cut white edges of these nails haven't been painted.

: This can only mean the nails were trimmed after they were painted. And only because one of them was broken.

: The Black framed herself up even worse while trying to prove her innocence.

: Tell her people are going to hear about her misdeed and move away.

: You go to fix the computer like Kapoor asked you to and you get yelled at by this rude lady!

: Don't touch that computer! All my fanfiction is on that computer!

: Jesus Christ this woman is a wreck. She looks kinda like an opiate addict.

: Out! Unless... you're here to fix the computer?

: I am! What's going on?

: Looks like one of the cameras is missing a signal.

: Well, I tapped this button and the computer, um, overloaded the reactor and had a radiation leak and crashed. Yea.

: Oh jeez look at that nail, she looks like a bird of prey. It's long and painted black and sharp. Is this a fetish thing? I bet it's a fetish thing.

: We have to... hack TIME!

: Well, messing with monitor four doesn't accomplish much, but you hack your way into the mainframe using the trusty universal password "pass_w0rd." drat, you're good! Anyway, you can open the casing now or waste time running commands.

: Alright, I open this up.

: Looks like someone was clumsily loving with the video card. Specifically, someone with long black fingernails.

: Alright, looks like monitor 4 is back online. It's showing some Orange smuggling poo poo through a grate. Of course. Of course it's corruption. Hey, Courtney, I found your fingernail, did you yoink the video card to collaborate with the Oranges to feed your drug addiction?

: Oh sh - I mean, no! See, I'm right handed, and all my nails on my right hand are trimmed.

: Yes, I can tell the tips are unpainted so you trimmed these recently to hide the evidence. Lol that incriminates you further. Also I saw you using those long nails to tap buttons, so either you're a lefty or you ninja trimmed them while I was hacking the mainframe.

: GET OUT!

: I'm telling!

We can now go back to Kapoor and finish the quest.

: Answer that you discovered evidence of sabotage while repairing the cameras.

: Unable to hide his agitation, Indra reaches for his walkie-talkie.

: A black fingernail? Do you have it? Very well, thank you. I'll report it at once. This will be a top priority.

: Tell him about the stolen watch and ask for help capturing the thief.

It's nice to have competent people help you out for once.

Well, competent people outside of the party.

: Sabotage! Zounds! Oh, you need to find a thief? I gotchu!

It's gonna take Indra a few hours (2 in game) to catch the thief, so we may as well update Vivienne on our progress.

: Discuss Vivienne's requests.

: Tell her you fixed the broken lock.

Lady, we roll with Miss Belitskaya, you don't have poo poo on her.

: Tell her the TV set is working.

: Hey I did 2/3 of the quest!

: My hero!

Naturally chatting up the administrator did not take two hours, so we're going to do something unforgivable and go advance the main plot a bit before finishing up our sidequests. I know.

Naturally traveling to Junkyard procs a "sleep doesn't restore fatigue" event.

We're going to the Emulator Project. If you recall, Henrietta needed teleglasses from Reverend Santiago and the Church of Maelstrom.

Reverend Santiago is literally standing outside the Emulator Project. Goddamn it, Henrietta! Why are you so bad at things?

: Pause, and listen, and think, what brought you here to this desert?

: Was it money? Adventure? Good will?

: One thing every one of us has in common: we all came here seeking the best for ourselves and the world.

: And we are all... frustrated. This frustration seems impossible to avoid.

: But what if the Church could give you the answer you crave?

Is it God? No

: These teleglasses - they are everything we ever expected from the Dome.

: They are happiness and a better world.

: They are adventure.

: They are your loved ones and dearest friends. Your memories.

: They are the future we've all lost.

: And these things - everything - will be yours, if only you attend our sermon.

: The doors of the church are open. We'll be waiting for you!

Yea, that's not ominous at all.

Look, man, we're not here for your virtual real estate, we have a job to do.

: Tell him Russo sent you to pick up the modified teleglasses for the Emulator.

: Santiago's lips, still stretched in a broad smile, twitch once or twice. Although his eyes are hidden behind the glasses, you can tell he's examining you closely.

: The Reverend's broad smile widens.

: You know, it's hard to win Henrietta's confidence. You're a special person, that's for sure. If only I knew why... Anyway, the device you're asking for is the apex of our technology. I'm not comfortable handing it over to a stranger - no offense intended, of course!

: Agree and shake his hand.

: Santiago's smile deepens.

: My intuition is whispering that we'll get along well! Oh, yes, my friend. See you at the sermon.

We need to talk to him again.

: Say you're ready to listen to the sermon.

: The reverend hands you a pair of teleglasses in an opaque white casing.

: Wonderful! We'll begin the moment you put these on. Ah, to avoid any confusion I'll tell you these are not Those glasses. You will receive Those after the sermon, as we agreed.

: Take the glasses.

Notice the symbolism. Santiago is both above the crowd and fenced off. This is not an accessible organization for the most part.

: Santiago is contentedly pacing the length of the stage, wearing his usual grin.

: Thank you! Thank you all for coming! I do ask that you please forgive the delay. Once my assistants arrive with equipment for any who've come without, we shall begin! Ah, here they are.

The implication of the sewage gate is, of course, that the player character is about to get hit with a literal torrent of bullshit.

Note the torches as well. Santiago is standing in front of a bunch of screens, and they're handing out virtual reality glasses - but the ordinary initiates are using torches instead of electric lights.

: [Tech 60] See if you can figure out how the glasses work.

: You take the glasses off and turn them over in your hands.

: Supercolor Navigator manufactured the base, however this unit's assembly and parts are both of lower quality. This example was made here, under the Dome.

: Other differences are more noticeable. The main lenses are purple, with additional, thinner lenses bearing a luminous projection net hidden beneath. A small radio aerial is mounted on the side of the device. There are silicone-capped speakers on the inside, near the user's temples.

: These teleglasses are also significantly heavier than similar Silver Wing devices.

: Put your glasses on.

: You place the device on your head.

: Nothing's happened yet. The world around you is unchanged, except for the slightly purple mist.

: You look around. Everyone is hastily donning their teleglasses.

Oh, great, it's virtual reality that's loving with your head, too.

: Ask about your physical needs: You still need to eat, drink, and return to reality from time to time.

: Wonder aloud when the sermon will actually begin.

: Ask Maria what the catch is.

: Say nothing. Walk beside her in silence.

: The soft roll of the waves brings peace. You walk contentedly alongside Maria.

: The sky overhead reminds you of a blue-rose abyss. Massive glowing streams rise from the gleaming horizon like flames in slow motion.

This is not right.

: The water splashes with each step, but doesn't slow you down at all.

: The dark blue dome above grows ever larger and lighter, as if you were strolling right into the heavens, your feet never leaving the sea.

When I said a literal torrent I wasn't kidding.

: Then the lanterns all come on again, illuminating the stage where Santiago's standing, arms thrown up.

: Thank you for coming everyone! Maria and I will be waiting for you at our next sermon!

: Answer that it was both enjoyable and fascinating.

Hey, it gets us Church of Maelstrom rep and it can't hurt to butter this guy up before we get the teleglasses, right?

: The corners of the reverend's mouth rise up to the limit his facial muscles allow and quiver with tension.

: Remind him of his promise: he was to give you the Emulator device after the sermon.

: Ask him how to get inside the Church.

: Santiago makes a helpless gesture.

: Alas, it can't be done as long as the gates of the City are closed. But you're here for this, for Maelstrom to recede... When you do this, the gates of the City will open for you, and the gates of the Church will open for all the suffering souls.

: Tell him you'll be there, and leave.

: Are you sick of living in a post-apocalyptic society dominated by the legacy of weird aliens? Do you need God in your life? Well, we don't have God. We have... the metaverse!

: Hey, Henrietta said you had some kind of glasses for the Emulator Project?

: Oh, you're with Henrietta? She never liked m- er, I can only give you the glasses if you come to my sermon.

: Can't hurt. Hit me.

: Ok, I need you to put on these VR glasses, which are NOT the glasses Henrietta wants. You'll get those later.

: Well I am a god drat engineer, so let's take a look at these. Huh... lower quality parts... a radio transmitter... speakers...a lot heavier than the pre-Maelstrom unit.

: Well, now you're at the ocean, and you feel vaguely roofied. Everything looks weird and artificial and alien. Seriously, the sun is blue and poo poo.

:wink:: I am Sister Maria. Come with me if you want to live... virtually.

: The system is injecting all kinds of weird memories, like looking for little crabs and building sand castles on this weird 80s synthwave beach.

:wink:: You could stay with me here forever you know. You could do whatever you wanted. Maybe even me.

: Wouldn't we have to eat and stuff?

:wink:: We're working on that.

: I thought there was going to be a sermon?

:wink:: Silly engineer, this is the sermon! It's just a tech demo instead of words!

: What's the catch?

:wink:: Of course there's no catch, silly! Look, follow me to the sky castle. You could live in this trippy sky castle instead of mean ol' reality. Well, you could, but you need to come to the next sermon! I'll be here waiting! Bye!

: Hey, that wasn't the ocean! That was just a kid with a firehose!

: What'd you think?

: That was, um. Interesting and enjoyable?

: Hell yea!

: Can I have Henrietta's thing now?

: Ha ha yeah! Sorry about the extortion, but you're always welcome at our church!

: Can I go to the church?

: Not till Act 2!

Personally, I find the Maelstrom church incredibly disturbing. The metaverse or its equivalent in most cyberpunk literature is almost universally depicted as a bad thing. Snow Crash originated the term, and the metaverse is used nearly word for word as it is here - it's a way to escape a nearly ruined reality to have videogame sword fights while the rich loot everything and it all goes to poo poo. You can see this concept in Otherland, where the virtual reality is built on the Omelas-like suffering of a single child as an immortality project for corrupt old rich men, in the Matrix where the titular Matrix is used to paralyze humanity and keep them subjugated - the list goes on and on.

This is of course topical thanks to Mark Zuckerberg's cynical ploy of renaming Facebook after Frances Haugen testified in front of Congress. It is hilarious to me how all the Metaverse boosters cite this literature, proclaim proudly that they haven't read it, and then go on to explain how they want to use it as a cool substitute for reality instead of fixing real problems.

: [Emulator Teleglasses] Give her the modified teleglasses.

Ultimately the recurring theme of the metaverse in these works is about power and subjugation. The villains of Snow Crash use the metaverse to distribute mind control, as I recall. The Matrix casts the titular VR server as a false reality created to enslave humans, only to reveal that Neo breaking free of the Matrix is but another layer to the lies and the fantasy concocted by the machines to keep humanity in chains.

The Church of Maelstrom furthers this theme, and it's not very subtle about it. Santiago literally opens with the pitch that reality is terrible, but if you surrender everything that makes you you - your friends, family, memories, and so on - you can live in someone else's alien fantasy world with a glowing pretty lady. There's a recurring theme of the Church being associated with poo poo, including the sewer grate, the firehouse, a certain diaper scene later in the game

: The White sets the device on the table.

The irony is that this is a critique of escapist electronic media in an escapist videogame. Yes, it's a grim hell dystopia, but you get to be one of the most important people in the world because you were chosen by an alien intelligence while also being a charismatic man with actual magical powers. I don't think the comparison holds up. For one thing, Encased is a story with a concrete end (we WILL make it there!) and is designed so you can put the game down, engage with reality, and resume it later. The Church's vision is of an eternal fantasy world controlled by them that stay in forever, letting reality fall apart as the teleglasses mess with your head. Encased is temporary, the metaverse is forever.

We will discuss the Church more as we have more interactions with them.

: Here's something funny. I gave the latest version of these to our engineers. They took it apart and told me the technology can't be replicated at this point. The circuit board customizations are completely foreign to them. We have no idea what makes them tick.

: Move away.

: Here are the glasses. From the guy who was literally just outside the door.

: Hey, thanks. Did I ever tell you we have no idea how this crap works, so we have to basically do whatever stupid poo poo the Abbot tells us?

: gently caress.

This pops as we're trying to leave Junkyard. I hate it. We've seen roaches before, there's only one thing I want to show off.

Yoko has an energy rifle. Here it is missing a cockroach. Incidentally, these random raids can get NPCs permanently killed because I guess the devs were big fans of Dawnguard or something.

I mean, Serana is pretty hot and is voiced by Laura Bailey. I understand.

Crap, I forgot about the weapon thing.

: Ask for news about the man who stole the watch.

: Stop! Put that wrench down! Oh, by the way, I found the watch thief and arrested him offscreen. Peace!

Oh, uh, don't mind me, just reading this Business Today magazine for absolutely no reason at all.

: Discuss Vivienne's requests.

: Give Vivienne the stolen watch.

: You hand the watch to the administrator. She examines it with a squeamish grin.

: Only a chump like Garcia would steal a piece of junk like this. What? Yes, they already told me who stole it, but thanks anyway.

: Remind her about your agreement.

Yea we all knew this was coming.

: Sigh sorrowfully and move away.

Ok, but what if we read.. TWO business magazines????

Incidentally this is your one and only one shot at this. You can break into the room but you can't use anything except the bed then - no stash, terminal, or crafting station upgrades.

: [Influence 25] Hint that Kingsley won't be happy to hear how the residential area is plagued by burglars, broken appliances, and smashed doors.

: [Influence 40] Say her apology was unconvincing.

: Take the money and key, and go.

: Hey, I got the watch.

: Ha ha, yeah, what a moron Garcia, he should be a better thief. Also, my hero!

: Could I get the room now?

: Lol. No.

: Reload! I read two business magazines! You know, I bet Kingsley would be real mad if he smelled what a fuckup you are!

: Why are you so mean? Take the key.

: That wasn't an apology.

: Ok, look, take some money!

: Score.

Yeah! We have a dorm room run by an administrator who hates us and maintained by Oranges who hate us for keeping them in bondage. Wait. poo poo.

It's been a long day.

Next time: Kingsley has a quest!

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Nice to see this LP back! Dell Conagher's adventures in interacting with lovely people and dunking on them are a delight.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Great to see it again, especially since I managed to beat it in the meantime so I can fully enjoy the misadventures of a vastly differently-specced character.

I love this game's ability to accommodate bizarre builds, by the way. My guy specialized in unarmed/sneaking/contraptions and apart from a few hiccups early on, it was a smooth ride throughout.

e: VVV It's pretty good.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Feb 17, 2023

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
This is the only one of "Fallout spiritual successors" (others being ATOM and Underrail) I've never really tried, is it more like ATOM (poo poo) or Underrail (good)?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Enjoying your commentary TheGreatEvilKing, I'm gonna drop out of this LP though as I actually purchased the game recently and I'd like to be surprised.

But I'll come back, when you least expect it....

because I'm lazy and tardy

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Working with the cops Dell? :nono:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Szarrukin posted:

This is the only one of "Fallout spiritual successors" (others being ATOM and Underrail) I've never really tried, is it more like ATOM (poo poo) or Underrail (good)?

I definitely feel it's closer to Underrail.

I really only have one complaint with Encased and it'll take a bit to get there. I'll just say the first half of the game is more fleshed out than the second. It just feels like they ran into some time/budget constraints with later areas.

And, yeah, the builds the game accommodates are pretty amazing. I played as a smooth talker psionic silver wing and didn't feel any heavy roadblocks.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Feb 18, 2023

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I love this game, for all of it's low-budget jankiness.

I'm a bit further than you and kind of hit a wall fighting the Hyenas to recruitt he actor cause all my gear is poo poo and I can't find a guide online with a list of unique weapons. :(

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
Does it have the same problem as Underrail, where you need to commit to specific build from the very beginning or else you will find out in middle game that your character is useless? Are wings like character professions or can I make psionic, silver tongued D-class personnel... I mean Orange Wing character?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It has the opposite problem of Underrail, in that there is no level cap and levelling is trivially easy so you can max out everything. Also it's very easy and you hardly ever need to consider tactics

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Man, gently caress Teleporters

Welcome back! Last time on Encased, we met the church of Mark Zuckerberg and also proved that Henrietta is the laziest person ever. Today we're going to go chat up Kingsley in person.

Turns out some people are really not happy with Nakamura's attempt to set up CRONUS 2.0. We agree. I don't think it matters.

Now that we're officially the representative of the Emulator Project instead of some random jackoff, things are a bit different.

: Ask if you can go into Kingsley's office.

I would like a cookie.

: Katsaros puts her fingers together.

: Let the scanner read your selectrone. Yes, right here....

We got turned away last time but I guess Henrietta was right about people caring about the Emulator. Kind of. We'll see more when we get there.

: Say thank you and move away.

: In Kingsley's eyes you see growing surprise.

: Remind him how in September of 1976 he sent you to Nashville.

: Your words clearly embarrass the Silver, but he maintains a straight face.

: I'm in this position because I follow direction.

: Tell him you expect an apology at the very least.

My guy we kinda contributed to the deaths of hundreds of people maybe billions.

: There is no mockery or malice in the Silver's tone - rather, bitter irony.

This is hilarious. "I know you destroyed human civilization under the Dome under my direct order but could you help me write a report?"

: Tell him, and add that you feel guilty about what happened. You should've prevented the disaster!

It's not clear that this is really anyone's fault, honestly. Should Kingsley have used more clout to put together a real rescue expedition? Probably. Can anyone human force Maelstrom to do anything it doesn't want to do? No.

: Kingsley closes the file.

: All right. I'll include it in your report. As you must know, the so-called Maelstrom, which appeared in the Nashville excavation zone, destroys human minds. Scientists monitoring its development have reported that it has recently begun to expand.

: So, the results. The situation is catastrophic. Maelstrom broke away and destroyed Nashville. It probably destroyed the Spire and swallowed Concord station, too. That's where it's situated now, on the ruins.

: The director moves the tip of his pen through the air as if drawing a schematic.

Ah. Remember, when we met Kingsley in Maelstrom, he was very remorseful and attempted to resign. You can get some interesting endings regarding Magellan Station and its relationship to the New Committee.

We get dialogue options to DESTROY THE WORLD like some kind of loving idiot.

: Say that you intend to help whoever comes up with the best solution, New Committee or not.

: Find out if he has any tasks for you.

He's plotting something.

: Ask if there's anything you could do for the New Committee.

: Martin folds his hands on the table and regards you.

: Absolutely. Although our main mission is work on the Emulator, there's something else. Before we can restore them, we need someone to scout the affected facilities and report on their status.

: Kingsley opens a map on his handheld.

: Take a look. This is where the Gretel object is, a small experimental complex. Communication was lost on September 14, 1976.

Hmm. What happened that day?

: This point on the map is the Sonora warehouse bunker. The exact date when we lost communication is unknown, but the last successful attempt was recorded in October, 1976.

: The Silver goes on.

Kingsley, do you remember what happened last time you sent us to a super secret bunker full of bullshit?

Incidentally, if you ask about the citizenship revocations he's not happy about it but we'll come back for that later.

Anyway, Sonora bunker was where we met Yoko, so...

: Say you've been to one of the facilities.

: Report on the condition of Sonora bunker.

: The director taps on the table with a pencil while you speak.

: "Partially destroyed," then. Okay, I'll write that down. Thank you.

: Answer that you have nothing more to report, and move away.

: Oh, delicious cookie, you are my only friend. Munch munch. <3.

: Yo wassup?

: Oh, um, welcome to Director Kingsley's office. Can I help you?

: Hi, I'd like to talk to Director Kingsley please.

: Yeah, let me see your selectr - oh, the Emulator Project! In you go!

: Thanks.

: Munch munch.

: Kingsley is much shorter and thinner than you remember, in a bit of obvious symbolism.

: Am I going mad? Is that...

: You sent me alone to face the loving Maelstrom!!!

: Yes. I am the director because I follow orders. I've hosed up a lot... what do you want from me?

: Could I get an apology?

: Yes. I am very sorry that you feel bad that I sent you to certain death. Look, now we can all forget everything that happened.

: The awkward silence suggests that maybe the apology didn't work.

: Well, poo poo. Time to fall back on what I do best. I need you to file this TPS report about what happened at the station.

: Well a bunch of poo poo went wrong and if only I'd been smarter I could have unfucked everything.

: No. There was nothing you could have done. You went above and beyond.

: Anyway, I'll include that in the report. Anyway, turns out Maelstrom just kind of destroys human minds. Oh, and it's expanding. We're all boned. It even destroyed the tutorial station! We can't reach the outside world and CRONUS has collapsed. I'm not a big New Committee fan, but, um, they're totally our best option with the expanding Maelstrom!

: Martin gestures toward the offscreen ceiling surveillance camera, to explain his cagey behavior to the player.

: Anyway, the New Committee built the Emulator project, which is one hundred percent our top priority which is why we dumped it in literal garbage town under the command of a scientist way over her head who has no idea how to lead poo poo.

: Look, I don't care who we work with as long as we can solve this Maelstrom thing.

: Can I trust this man? Hmm. Yeah, staying out of power games is a good idea. If you haven't met Henrietta Russo you should do so, though I'm not sure how you joined the project without meeting her.

: Do you have any sidequests for me?

: Uh... not.... yet...

: Does the New Committee have any sidequests for me?

: Yes, we do. We are totally 100 percent committed to the emulator, but we need you to check out four bunkers to see if we can reuse them.

: Oh, hey, one of them is where I met Yoko. It's blown to poo poo.

: That's going right in the TPS report!

Christ these people suck.

Courtney's love of the drugs is an open secret.

Let's go to one of the bunkers. I'm sure this will turn out to be 100% on the level and not complete bullshit.

Along the way we encounter a car full of wasps. I'm not dealing with that poo poo. Off we go.

Oh, that's a good sign!

These marauders are stuck in an argument over whether to blow open the door or not.

Whatever. Grab the wrench, it's time to fight!

This is actually a tough area as these guys massively outlevel us. It's not too hard and we don't need to really think, but we're gonna be taking some hits with the companions, both metaphorically and literally.

Atilla wrecks this loser.

We still slaughter them all.

By "we" I mean Dell, as everyone else gets loving rolled by these guys. Every time a companion goes down you eat a -5 reputation hit with them. This is probably going to be my excuse to force Katarzyna back into the party.

There isn't a huge dialogue tree of reputation boosts but there are ways to restore our rep.

The door is jammed shut.

Why, oh why, did I think taking The Voice was a good idea? There was one last idiot near the vent we need to get into.

He drops this entertaining comic book, as well as a cloaking device.

We can bust the vent open, but we unfortunately cannot take our power armor with us. This is a problem.

Welcome to Kaleidoscope! See that console?

It's a teleporter! Worse, it's a teleporter that irradiates you. Welcome to a loving teleporter dungeon!

You basically end up trial and erroring your way through and one misclick sends you back to the beginning. It's not a lot of radiation and you basically have to be trying to suicide to die here. I still dislike it.

There are also a bunch of roaches who outlevel the party. gently caress.

We basically have to solo them as they eat our companions alive, but Atilla's heat damage fucks em up bad.

Yoko, uh, doesn't like us. Maybe her namesake shouldn't have RUINED the Beatles.

After a bunch of bullshit we finally make it here.

I waste two crime mags on opening the relic case offscreen only to discover a personal teleporter. It's a one use device that requires us to grind contraptions to use.

You don't actually get the living crystal relic thing, but you do get some lore.

The password is written down on a dead guy but we are Hackerman.

: [Tech 25] Try to circumvent the security system.

: An old version of CaerOS is installed on this machine, so circumventing the security system is no problem.

: An open directory appears on the screen containing hundreds of files sorted by date.

: Enter "READ" to read Professor Matthew Maddock's notes.

: Examine the experiment logs.

: You engross yourself in the reading of data.

: It takes you several hours to study the data from the experiments.

: About 90% of the data is already obsolete, but the other 10% is truly unique.

: The terminal screen shimmers, and then the machine suddenly shuts down.

: Turn the computer off and walk away.

: Hey, it's a computer, but it wants a password!

: We have to hack time!

: You're in! There's a bunch of poo poo, including notes from a "Professor Matthew Maddock" and experiment logs!

: Man this sucks. I feel like crap and keep throwing up all the time. I bet it's not really radiation poisoning, I bet it's just Olga's death. I liked Olga, she made these tasty rear end pancakes. I'll miss her and all my many other colleagues who died in this experiment.

: I will continue my experiments even though it will probably kill me, because everyone else is dead and what else am I to do? Whee!

: Anyway, I took the crystal out of the disassembled teleporter and I guess it grows every time it teleports something. I sure as hell don't have anything meaningful to report even though I'm still trying to understand why it's so radioactive.

: Anything worthwhile in the experiment logs?

: You dumpster dive really hard for hours but then the computer reboots.

No, you can't grab the crystal as a relic. The relic that radiation poisons you to death if you're stupid enough to equip it comes later.

We can read all about the experiments here.

There's going to be a recurring theme at the CRONUS facilities.

: Look at page 2: "Introduction".

I'll just turn all the pages here.

This is, of course, that CRONUS are a bunch of idiots toying with immensely powerful alien artifacts they don't understand in the hopes of making a profit.

It adds up over time. 5 radiation is not a lot in game, but if you get stuck in the maze it will add up.

This was probably preventable, but everyone involved is an unethical idiot.

: Put the clipboard away.

: Ha ha god drat it turned out the teleporters irradiated us super hard when we used them for human experimentation instead of our guinea pigs! Now we're all dying of radiation poisoning like a bunch of morons! WHEEEEE!

There's not a lot more to the base.

This is the only other secret I know of - you can plug in a battery, and...

You get this bonanza for energy weapons users - a level 3 penetrator (which can, among other things, automatically critical in an AoE), a high-tech weapons upgrade manual, and energy weapon ammunition.

Let's grab our power armor and get out of here.

Alright Kingsley, we hit one of the bases.

: Say you've been to one of the facilities.

: Kingsley loosely clasps his hands and looks at you with interest.

: Well, well. I'm listening.

: Report on what you saw in the Kaleidoscope bunker facility.

: I appreciate your honesty. I very much hope I can contact the relatives of the deceased, if they're under the Dome. I trust you'll remember that Kaleidoscope is a secret facility. And I don't need to remind you that everything you saw falls under our nondisclosure agreement.

: he says when you've finish[sic] your report.

: Answer that you have nothing more to report, and move away.

: Hey, Kingsley, I went to the Kaleidoscope facility. It was all hosed up! It was a teleporter maze and everyone died because the teleporters irradiated them.

: Guess I better contact the relatives. Also, this facility is super secret, and you're under NDA!

So, yea, Kingsley. Kingsley is really not competent to hold this job. He'd probably do OK as a manager at some accounting firm or somewhere people aren't at constant risk of death because of alien artifacts, but the guy is in way over his head and the last time he tried to improvise - by sending in the player character under the radar to figure out what was going on at Nashville - he contributed to the apocalyptic destruction of society under the Dome. Kingsley doesn't have the courage to openly defy his superiors when necessary - such as briefing the Employee on what the hell is REALLY happening at Nashville - and it's still up in the air as to how much is due to Kingsley's failings and how much is due to learned helplessness. Remember, Kingsley tried to resign after the Nashville debacle and Nakamura kept him on not so much due to his extreme competence as Nashville administrator but because as he said, he follows directions. Of course, he's also under 24/7 surveillance like everyone else, so it's clear Nakamura doesn't fully trust him and he's not a full believer in the New Committee and its nonsense.

We will see how well this ends for him.

Next Time: More base misadventures!

TheGreatEvilKing fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Mar 5, 2023

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Well I played into the second act of the game which this thread is heading towards and the change of pace annoyed me so much that I began a low intelligence play.

I can't really recommend doing that as the developers were seemingly obsessed with giving you the most monkey cheese dialogue options. An early internet flesh movie maker would die of overdose amounts.

I'll probably just quit altogether and hope you got what it takes to take this game all the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

By popular demand posted:

Well I played into the second act of the game which this thread is heading towards and the change of pace annoyed me so much that I began a low intelligence play.

I can't really recommend doing that as the developers were seemingly obsessed with giving you the most monkey cheese dialogue options. An early internet flesh movie maker would die of overdose amounts.

I'll probably just quit altogether and hope you got what it takes to take this game all the way.

It's unfortunate that Act 2 and 3 will never be fleshed out. I still like the game overall.