Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

The Trickers I believe are a reference to an enemy in Final Fantasy 4 that would just cast Scan in themselves over and over, showing their weakness to Lightning. Then if you cast Lightning spells at them, they spam Lightning 3 at you until you die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Next update might take a bit longer than the previous ones. The Sea Shrine is kicking my rear end a bit.

Discendo Vox posted:

Here's your source, a very very old flash video from a user named "somebody" affiliated with a similarly ancient group called "the friend society" (or "the gently caress society").

:siren:Warning: weird gore, loud sounds, flashing lights:siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0arJSTqfFE

Well, that certainly is a video. Not sure what I was expecting, but it wasn't that.

LiefKatano posted:

:eng101: Since Onrac is right next to a river, you could land right next to it even if the ship's behavior was identical to vanilla (since you could drop anchor next to rivers with the canoe).

That's your completely useless trivia for the day!

That... is true. I've played FF1 enough that I really should have realized that.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Discendo Vox posted:

Here's your source, a very very old flash video from a user named "somebody" affiliated with a similarly ancient group called "the friend society" (or "the gently caress society").

:siren:Warning: weird gore, loud sounds, flashing lights:siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0arJSTqfFE

Holy poo poo! I've been looking for the old stupid Friend Society videos for loving years. Powerful nostalgia there. Sadly that channel doesn't seem to have all of them.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
There’s other sources, just give ‘em a google.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Always fun to see a reimagining of this flawed classic that I have not seen before. I like all of the different classes with which to experiment.

Given all the class choice - what, if any, party configurations would allow the player to have all (or most of) the spells in the game. Melee classes in this game are kind of boring to play, so I tend to favour caster-heavy parties. I was just thinking about giving this a playthrough and I would like to be able to play with as many of the toys (read: spells and gear) as possible. Presumably this would include a sage, but he can't know every spell at once.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

JustJeff88 posted:

Always fun to see a reimagining of this flawed classic that I have not seen before. I like all of the different classes with which to experiment.

Given all the class choice - what, if any, party configurations would allow the player to have all (or most of) the spells in the game. Melee classes in this game are kind of boring to play, so I tend to favour caster-heavy parties. I was just thinking about giving this a playthrough and I would like to be able to play with as many of the toys (read: spells and gear) as possible. Presumably this would include a sage, but he can't know every spell at once.

Warlock or Wizard + Priest or Cleric + Sage is the easiest way to learn every spell. You can also trade the Sage for a Ranger, or go with Warlock/Priest/Monk, but in both those cases the ranger or monk probably won't get spell level 8 before the end of the game. All these configurations leave a slot open for something else too.

Bear in mind that these configurations will require you to really think about how you spend your money. Magic is expensive, and with three casters you'll need to be choosy about what spells to learn when.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

5-Headed Snake God posted:

Warlock or Wizard + Priest or Cleric + Sage is the easiest way to learn every spell. You can also trade the Sage for a Ranger, or go with Warlock/Priest/Monk, but in both those cases the ranger or monk probably won't get spell level 8 before the end of the game. All these configurations leave a slot open for something else too.

Bear in mind that these configurations will require you to really think about how you spend your money. Magic is expensive, and with three casters you'll need to be choosy about what spells to learn when.

I figured that you would say that, but I tend to grind/overexplore/overlevel for these games, which mitigate both cost and hybrid spell progression somewhat. I have a feeling that a caster-heavy party would have to grind regardless just to survive.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Oxyale in hand, we can enter this submarine and enter the Sea Shrine. We won't ask who built a sub nor how.

The Sea Shrine is pared down a bit from its vanilla counterpart, making it a more streamlined experience - though still a challenge.

This encounter is relatively common. Big eyes open with STOP, then move onto BOLT to start doing damage. They're a top priority when they show up.

Nagas are spellcasters whose attacks can inflict mute, but waters are the most obnoxious enemies in the Sea Shrine. They appear in groups, are fairly durable, and hit like trucks. They're vulnerable to both lightning and ice, but like nagas, their attacks can inflict mute.

The first floor of the dungeon has two rooms containing treasure chests. The mithril axe is an excellent find for us.

The red sahags are joined by spellcasting counterparts. Wizard sahahgs cast about half the time, and open with HSTE followed by TPR3; if any enemy gets both buffs it can be come quite dangerous.

The stairs down are in the northwest corner.

The second floor of the Shrine looks like something out of vanilla, but there's a big twist here:

The water is traversible. With no walls except around the rooms, this floor can get confusing pretty quickly.

The easiest way to navigate it is to go south to a room, then east, then south, then east, then north. This is a quick way to find all the treasures and the exit.

Waters might be the most obnoxious enemies here, but red caribes certainly compete for the title. Though fairly fragile, they come in large groups and often get surprise attacks. Rogue was at nearly full health when this fight started.

The upper right chest here is protected in an unusual manner.

Step on the space to its left, and you get this fight against wizard ogres and wizard bones. Wizard bones are immune to MUTE and cast BLND, followed by BOLT. Combined with the wizard ogres' fondness for IVS2, and BLND becomes an actual problem, making the enemies nearly impossible to hit.

The southern space is also spiked, but with a fight from the Marsh Cave. At this point it's absolutely no problem.

The prize is a mithril staff, by the way. More money for us.

After this bit of treasure hunting, our party was kind of getting its rear end kicked, so we go back to the entrance and do some grinding, reaching level 17, then 18, which gives Cleric level 7 spells and Ranger level 5 spells. Since there are magic shops in Onrac, we fill out Cleric's spell slots with CUR4, IVS2, and HEX. Ranger can wait; his level 5 spells won't be too useful here. After that, we head back in.

The stairs to floor 3 are right outside the teleporter room. The final floor is another open one, but it's dominated by one huge room so it's not hard to navigate.

Going north and west from the stairs leads to this room, which contains the floor's sole treasure (guarded by a spiked tile of waters).

The WAKE Ring is a solid prize that can help get rid of paralysis when Cleric is out of commission. Since Viking is in the last party position (and thus the least likely to be paralyzed himself), he gets it.

This is the floor's main room, and I hate it. It's filled with random spiked tiles, all containing fights with waters.

SO. MANY. WATERS. I ran into seven loving fights in here, in a space that should have had maybe 2-3 random encounters.

At the north end of the room awaits our main target.

Kraken is somewhat similar to vanilla, acting primarily as a strong physical attacker. There are some significant changes that have been made, though.

For example, his attacks inflict both paralysis and poison. WILL helps to block it, but he can hit up to 8 times so it's going to land eventually.

(EDIT: He can actually be hit with SLOW as well, but I completely forgot about that during the fight.)

He still has his Ink ability from vanilla, and it's still his least dangerous action.

He also has Tsunami, a water attack that hits the whole party. This damage is after SHEL.

Still, like any boss, he does eventually go down. Viking's damage is closing in on Rogue's despite the gap in their weaponry.

Like all fiends, Kraken gives some nice EXP and GP.

We've lit our third orb - but that's not all we're doing today.

Our next stop is this little island, which sits northwest of the Temple of Fiends.

Inside is the Library of the Ancients, a short dungeon that was alluded to in an earlier update.

That guy at the entrance isn't kidding. Undead make up the bulk of encounters here. They include ghosts, the strongest form of shadow/image/wraith.

There are also sand worms here. Not sure how they got in.

The library is divided into four branches, one each in the north, west, east, and south. The former three each have a bunch of bookshelves, one of which contains a nice amount of gold.

The south branch contains our goal. If you know vanilla, you probably recognize that sprite.

The vampires come in a set of three and deserve to be treated as a boss fight. They hit hard, have a special attack that can paralyze characters, and have lots of HP, which is bolstered by the fact that they regenerate 10% of their maximum each round. For that reason, it's best to focus fire on one at a time.

Except, none of that is important, because in this very run, I learned that there's another way to take them down.

SOFT: still broken.

The vampires give a ton of EXP, enough to get us to level 19.

This bookshelf contains what we're looking for: the papyrus. Once we have it, we can leave and head back to Melmond.

The papyrus replaces the slab from vanilla, allowing us to learn Lefeinish. Given that, you can probably guess where we'll head next.

5-Headed Snake God fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jan 2, 2022

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Is it just me, or does gear in this game seem rather prosaic and lacklustre so far? It seems to be mostly the same icons and armours with a different 'material' and better stats.

On another note, despite its name SOFT sure does hit hard. :downsrim:

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

JustJeff88 posted:

Is it just me, or does gear in this game seem rather prosaic and lacklustre so far? It seems to be mostly the same icons and armours with a different 'material' and better stats.

If I have a real complaint about the hack, it's this. We're getting into the endgame armor and weapons soon, and while the endgame weapons have some personality, the armor is mostly more of the same. The weapons, at least, do deal extra damage to certain enemies, but the armor is strictly higher defense. There's none with, say, elemental resistance, which makes the fact that monsters use different elements pretty much pointless, as it's all blocked by the same things (SHEL and WALL).

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Now that we've learned Lefeinish, it's time to head to Lefein.

As in vanilla, the town is surrounded by forests, so landing next to it is impossible. The area is also surrounded by mountains, so we can't dock the ship near it either.

The closest spot to the town is north of it. We'll have to walk from here. Apart from frost wolves, the monsters en route aren't too threatening at this point, so the trip is fairly easy.

I encountered zombulls earlier while grabbing Sting but didn't talk much about them. They're basically bulls, but stronger and undead. Their paralyzing attacks are annoying but not too dangerous.

Lefein looks a lot like it did in vanilla, but there's an inn now, and the magic shops have been placed in more obvious locations. They're clearly not meant to be hidden.

Speaking of, this is the only town in the game that sells level 8 magic. As has been the pattern for a while now, we can't actually cast any of these yet, but we'll definitely be coming back for them.

This guy is clearly friends with that one NPC in Gaia.

For now, this is why we're here. With this, we can enter the penultimate (mandatory) dungeon in the game.

There's no strip of grass east of the Mirage Tower. Instead, we have to land or dock here and hike north. The trip isn't much longer, but it does mean more chances for a nasty encounter.

Speaking of. Red ankylos are similar to the regular ones: very tanky foes with strong attacks. They're worth decent EXP, but without strong offensive magic they're not worth our time.

As in vanilla, you can reach the tower as soon as you get the airship, but it can't be entered without the chime.

The first floor is dominated by a huge room containing a bunch of pillars. It's a pain to navigate, but otherwise isn't noteworthy.

The second floor is a little bit of a maze, but it doesn't branch much so it isn't horrendous to navigate. Reaching the central room requires us to navigate counter-clockwise to to about 10 o'clock, then reverse direction back to the door.

Basilisks roam this floor as random encounters. They're a real pain, especially because they can't be fled.

Haha, gently caress this noise. This kind of fight is insanely threatening.

The central room contains a set of 10 treasure chests. The two on each "point" are, of course, guarded by spiked tiles.

The basilisk here is still a threat, but with MUTE the trickers are again reduced to a simple annoyance.

The prizes here are nice: a set of opal armor (and its cloth equivalent, the rune robe). These are all unique and a nice find.

The monetary rewards here are also really good.

I've mentioned that the Waterfall Cave is gone, so you might think that this is another red herring. It's not. It's actually a clue to a hidden area we'll be seeing in a few updates.

The top floor of the tower is the same as in vanilla.

We have our first encounter with dark knights here, though they roam all three floors. They often strike from ambush and come in groups, but aren't super dangerous. Having fully embraced evil, they're vulnerable to HOLY spells.

If you're familiar with vanilla, you know what's coming.

There's only one blue dragon encounter in the game, and it's here. It's sort of a mini-boss: tough, but not boss tough.

Besides physical attacks, its main offense is BLITZ, which deals lightning damage to the party.

Once the dragon is slain, we can take the teleporter. Unlike in vanilla, there's no need for the cube here - as long as you can enter the tower and get here, you can take the teleporter.

And we find ourselves in the Sky Castle, which is functionally the last 2/3 or so of the dungeon. This initial floor has branches in each of the cardinal directions, similar to the Library.

Gray nagas start showing up in the Sky Castle. Their attacks can inflict mute, but they're also potent spellcasters, leading with CHKR, followed by SHEL, then AERO.

Guards also show up here. Being robots, they're weak to lightning, but are pretty strong offensively.

The southern room is our first destination. It has the teleporter, but also a chest containing the best treasure in the dungeon. And there's a curious aspect to it.

Approach it directly, and there's a spiked tile. This fight isn't nearly as dangerous as it used to be, but eyes can still ruin our day if we're unlucky.

The tiles to the left and right, however, are unprotected, allowing us to bypass the guards. The Ashkandi is a World of Warcraft reference, as are the other weapons found here. It's a sword that's not only strong, but hits a surprisingly large number of weaknesses, making it potent even in the endgame. Since Rogue already has Sting, it goes to Ranger.

Unlike most swords, which are just recolors of the basic sword's sprite, some effort seems to have been made to make Ashkandi look like its namesake.

Compare that to Sting, which, for an ultimate weapon, looks rather plain.

Apart from the sword, this floor is mostly just cash. After looting these chests and hitting level 20, we leave, heal up, rest, and return. Houses make the process incredibly convenient, as there's no need to go marching back to the airship.

The second floor of the Sky Castle is also identical to vanilla, with either rooms in a circle around a central area.

The cash here is even better, but it's of secondary importance.

Airs are probably the most dangerous enemy here. They can hit up to eight times, proc paralyze on a hit, and deal a ton of damage. They are absolutely not worth fighting.

The east room of this floor holds one of its two main prizes. It is, of course, protected.

This was the first action of the round. Eyes have gone from major threats to something Viking can kill with a single attack. Feels good.

Our prize is another WoW reference, though it's a staff, so our party is out of luck. It doesn't even sell for anything, so we just drop it. The opal plate and rune robe are the same, unfortunately.

In the northwest room is the other unique treasure on this floor, the BOLT Ring. At this point in the game, BOLT is pretty lackluster, so it's probably the least useful ring in the game. Still, we'll give it to Cleric. Maybe she can get some use out of it.

Floor 3 suggests that we might be among the stars. It's still lots of broken walkways leading to rooms in various directions.

To the north is another guarded room containing the unique axe, Gorehowl. It's a nice upgrade for Viking.

Unfortunately, its appearance is just a recolored axe sprite.

This fight wasn't spiked. This is a random encounter here. Between this and the airs, Sky Castle is loving dangerous.

To the east is the last unique weapon here, the DoomHammer. It's not terribly strong, but it's still better than what Cleric currently has.

Like Gorehowl, it's just a standard recolored sprite.

Nothing new here. This feels like a missed opportunity to point the player toward the new bonus dungeons.

This room is to the south of the entrance to this floor. There's no treasure here, but I think it's a cool touch.

Floor 4 is identical to vanilla: head two intersections either up or down and either north or south to reach the teleporter.

Floor 5 is also the same. The encounter rate here is quite high, which can make it obnoxious if you start running into airs.

Finally, we reach the rather impressive-looking final room.

After making her threats, Tiamat attacks.

Besides the blue dragon's BLITZ attack, Tiamat also uses BOLTBEAM, which hits one target for huge lightning damage (the shot I took is after SHEL was applied), and TORNADO, which hits the whole party for pretty high wind damage.

Her physical attacks are also no joke. She doesn't do anything besides deal damage, but everything she does is dangerous.

This is one of the few fights in which I'll have Ranger HSTE himself rather than Viking. Ashkandi does extra damage to dragons, turning him into a wrecking ball.

Rogue's damage output is pretty lackluster by comparison. I'm wondering whether I was wrong about Sting dealing extra damage to dragons.

It took me way too long to do this. Don't be like me. Do this early in the fight.

With consistent healing, we're able to pull through with no real problems. Rogue takes the kill.

Sweet, sweet rewards. This raises us to level 21, which unfortunately is still not high enough for Cleric to get 8th-level spells.

With all four orbs lit, we could go fight Chaos, but there's bonus dungeons to do!

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Level 8 Black Magic
FLAR: Deals non-elemental damage to one enemy.
MTEO: Deals dark damage to all enemies.
XZON: Kills all enemies.
TPR3: Like TMPR and TPR2, but stronger.

Level 8 White Magic
HEL4: Like CUR4, but affects the whole party.
PERL: Deals holy damage to all enemies.
SLD3: Like SHLD and SLD2, but stronger.
LIF2: Out of battle, restores a character to life with full HP. In battle, like LIFE, but stronger.

Appropriately, every last spell at this level is powerful and worth having. PERL is a bit of a letdown, but as a general-use nuke for Priests and Clerics, it still fills a helpful niche. However, in my opinion, the best spell at this level - and indeed, in the game - is HEL4. A full restore for the whole party (including status ailment removal) is insanely strong and can turn around a losing battle in one action. For black magic users, XZON is probably the best spell on offer here, able to win most random encounters in a single use. MTEO and FLAR are both good, though (MTEO is especially nice for Sages due to the variety of situations on which it's useful), and TPR3 is amazing for boss fights, as it provides a massive attack power boost; likewise for SLD3 and defense. LIF2's usefulness in battle is limited due to the damage bug, but a full revive afterward is certainly convenient.

All in all, nothing to really complain about here, which you'd expect from the highest-level spells in the game.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I have no WoW knowledge so I have to ask if the weaponry there really is so purple.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Blaze Dragon posted:

I have no WoW knowledge so I have to ask if the weaponry there really is so purple.

I'm also not familiar with WoW, but Google images show Ashkandi being red and white. The others? Nah. It's just a palette swap to make them stand out.

5-Headed Snake God fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jan 8, 2022

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
What's the warmech like?

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

It's the original FF super-boss: a super rare, super tough fight. If there's enough demand after I've finished the game, I'll hunt it down and show it off.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Please do.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It's always fun to get more content and I am curious to see how it was changed in this hack, but also if it's too much of a pain to find that random encounter (seriously why is a superboss a random encounter, FF1 is so weird) then it's no big loss.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

It's the original FF super-boss: a super rare, super tough fight. If there's enough demand after I've finished the game, I'll hunt it down and show it off.

Do it. Show off the OG superboss.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I think I stumbled upon the Warmech when I first played the GBA version, and I didn't know it was an optional boss. It ended my run right there.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Massive Spoiler for another FF1 mod:

In FF Restored & Remastered, which I have played through 100% and warmly recommend, there is an optional post-game fight against up to three regular Warmechs and a super Warmech that is a palette swap of the original black and orange motif. I have beaten this fight, but I think that I stumbled onto a slightly 'cheesy' strategy.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

When I played through vanilla FF1 several years ago, I managed to beat Warmech, but I made sure to go beat Tiamat and save first. It felt good to beat it...on the second try.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
You'd think Sting would use a dagger sprite, and yet... :psyduck:

Unless the dagger sprites got completely removed for whatever reason.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Today's update is going to be a bit of a short one - the dungeon we're tackling isn't terribly long and doesn't have many monsters we haven't already seen.

Before heading out, since we've got a ton of money, we head to Lefein to buy 8th-level spells for Cleric, then Crescent Lake to get 6th-level spells (specifically, ICE3, HEL3, and TPR2) for Ranger. Neither can actually cast those spells yet, but it'll save us a trip later.

A completed spell roster is a thing of beauty.

Our destination today is the Ice Cave. We've already gotten the ICE Staff from here, but now we're going to clear it out.

Instead of going due south from the entrance, we turn west. This twisty path leads to the stairs down, which you can actually see in this shot.

Piscos are a regular encounter here, for whatever reason. At this point they're a complete joke.

Squids also make a return. They're nearly as weak as piscos.

Frost giants are just stronger members of the giant family, but ice lizards hit hard and can paralyze with their attacks. With frost wolves present as well, this encounter is pretty threatening.

The next floor is a bit of a maze, with intersection hallways blocked by rocks. The trick is to head all the way west, then south, east, south, and finally west to the stairs.

This area is fairly uninteresting. :v:

The following floor has a giant room, but naturally we have to take the long way around to get to the entrance. Fans of vanilla likely have an idea of where this is going.

The Ice Cave also has damaging floors, which I assume are supposed to be super-cold ice or something. Like the lava tiles, they deal 2 damage per step.

That's an enticing central area, to be sure, but of course we can't get there yet. Instead, we'll have to dive into one of those holes.

The room at the bottom is filled with spiked tiles containing encounters with undead.

This floor has a couple of treasures worth getting. Off to the west is this chest, which contains the first of them.

Naturally, it's protected.

SOFT is still broken.

Inside is the SLEP Ring. After some debate, I give this to Cleric and trade her BOLT Ring to Rogue.

In the northwest is this chest, looking dangerous with those two skulls flanking it.

It's just money, though.

To the southwest is this room. Most of the chests her contain consumables or money, but the one in the upper right?

It has the Aegis shield, the strongest shield in the game. (Sadly, it offers no protection against petrification.) It goes to Ranger, and Cleric inherits his opal shield.

After heading up to the next floor, we make our way east to this room. There's nothing special in the chests - the hole in the floor is what we're really here for.

It drops us here, on the other side of the boss room, giving us access to the orb.

Our foe doesn't even have the courtesy to give us an introduction before attacking.

The boss of the Ice Cave is Hyudra. Although she doesn't have many real tricks, she hits hard and can deal a lot of damage. She's threatening for three reasons.

First, her attacks are strong and can inflict sleep. Sleep isn't terrible, but if she knocks out a healer it can be serious trouble. And of course, the damage can just be outright lethal.

Second, she has a special attack, ICEBEAM. Similar to Tiamat's BOLTBEAM, this hits one character for a ton of damage.

Third, she casts spells, alternating between ICE2 and ICE3. The former isn't terrible, but the latter can roll some very high damage, even with SHEL in place.

The best strategy for fighting Hyudra is to cast WALL and SLOW at the start of the fight, in that order. That will make her physical attacks basically a nonissue and make her ice attacks much less dangerous. For offense, HSTE is your best bet - the Ashkandi in particular can deal a ton of damage here.

Even with that strategy, this fight was rough. Rogue and Ranger both died, and it fell to Viking to finish the job, backed up by Cleric.

10001 GP and EXP, signifying that we've beaten the first of the optional dungeon bosses. This gets us to level 22 and finally gives Cleric access to her level 8 spells. But of course, that's not our only prize. Hyudra, like all the optional dungeon bosses, guards two chests.

They contain Glamdring (a reference to Gandalf's sword) and the Merlin staff, the ultimate weapons for the Wizard and Sage. Sadly, we have neither of those classes, so both of them get thrown away.

Once down, three to go. After we get Rogue and Ranger back on their feet, of course.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
having class-exclusive equipment as the main reward for optional dungeons seems kind of lame

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Not much else they could put there.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
As usual, FFV solves this issue elegantly by letting you choose from 12 ultimate weapons, three at a time. But I don't expect an FF1 hack to pull that off. Do the weapons at least sell for good money, or is it a "drop on the ground" sitch?

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Simply Simon posted:

As usual, FFV solves this issue elegantly by letting you choose from 12 ultimate weapons, three at a time. But I don't expect an FF1 hack to pull that off. Do the weapons at least sell for good money, or is it a "drop on the ground" sitch?

They sell for zero; there's not much to do with them except drop them.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Having the class specific ultimate weapons at the end of the bonus dungeons is... fine depending on how hard the dungeons are. How difficult are the dungeons compared to the late-game "plot" dungeons?

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Randalor posted:

Having the class specific ultimate weapons at the end of the bonus dungeons is... fine depending on how hard the dungeons are. How difficult are the dungeons compared to the late-game "plot" dungeons?

Honestly? They feel like a pretty natural difficulty progression after what comes before them, and leading into the Temple of Fiends at the end of the game. Though they're technically optional, I honestly would not recommend going into the ToF without doing them first unless you're up for a bunch of grinding.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

ultrafilter posted:

Not much else they could put there.

I feel like they could've made them not exclusive to one class out of twelve, of which you're using exactly four :v: (or poo poo, maybe try your hand at making actually-interesting armor)

Honestly? They feel like a pretty natural difficulty progression after what comes before them, and leading into the Temple of Fiends at the end of the game. Though they're technically optional, I honestly would not recommend going into the ToF without doing them first unless you're up for a bunch of grinding.

This makes it sorta-ish better (since you'll. end up getting all of the gear because you completed all of the dungeons) but at the same time I feel like it's a bit weird on its own. Oh, sure, these are optional bonus dungeons... that the leveling curve more or less demands you complete.

Granted, that's a problem most modern games don't handle well, and the normal workaround (making the bonus dungeons harder than the final dungeon) isn't really viable here because this is FF1 and the only way out of the final dungeon is with magic you might not have. It's just... kinda weird to add in bonus dungeons when that's something you'd have to keep in mind, I guess?

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

LiefKatano posted:

Granted, that's a problem most modern games don't handle well, and the normal workaround (making the bonus dungeons harder than the final dungeon) isn't really viable here because this is FF1 and the only way out of the final dungeon is with magic you might not have. It's just... kinda weird to add in bonus dungeons when that's something you'd have to keep in mind, I guess?

Fair point, but at least the creator did mention them in the hack's pitch and the walkthrough he included with its readme, and all four dungeons still appear on the in-game map. So I think most players, even those going in blind, are going to find them. They might end up doing them out of order, but accidentally stumbling into an out-of-depth area is part and parcel for FF1.

Also, UCE actually does add an exit teleporter to the Temple of Fiends, so magic is not required to get out (although that can still require quite a lot of backtracking). There's also another way to exit the dungeon, but I'll cover that in an actual update.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
They should’ve at least sold for a decent chunk rather than getting thrown away.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Keldulas posted:

They should’ve at least sold for a decent chunk rather than getting thrown away.

Now with that I agree. Caster-heavy parties in particular are going to be hurting for money in the late game, and that would have done a lot to mitigate that problem.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

Fair point, but at least the creator did mention them in the hack's pitch and the walkthrough he included with its readme, and all four dungeons still appear on the in-game map. So I think most players, even those going in blind, are going to find them. They might end up doing them out of order, but accidentally stumbling into an out-of-depth area is part and parcel for FF1.

Also, UCE actually does add an exit teleporter to the Temple of Fiends, so magic is not required to get out (although that can still require quite a lot of backtracking). There's also another way to exit the dungeon, but I'll cover that in an actual update.

Ahhh, I completely forgot about the walkthrough in the readme. Yeah, that makes it a lot better.

Also not surprised that they added that feature, admittedly.

Luninareph
Jan 12, 2019

Why, no, I wouldn't hurt a (butter)fly. Why do you ask?
I'm actually kind of interested in trying this out now. The way they've divided magic between classes is really interesting to me, and I want to see how it feels.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Luninareph posted:

I'm actually kind of interested in trying this out now. The way they've divided magic between classes is really interesting to me, and I want to see how it feels.

That part does interest me. The bore-the-bollox off me equipment system, though, is a huge turn-off.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

JustJeff88 posted:

That part does interest me. The bore-the-bollox off me equipment system, though, is a huge turn-off.

I completely get this, but I think it's ultimately better than FF1's equipment. Sure, you find a bunch of new stuff, but 80% of it is useless. Even the weapons that deal damage to certain enemy types are mostly pointless, even setting aside that that effect is bugged in the NES version. How often do you actually use those weapons? In my case, very rarely, except for those with superior attack power. UCE's gear is a bit boring, but it's never ambiguous about which classes can use what items (except some of the ultimate weapons), which I think benefits the game a lot, and stuff found in dungeons is virtually always on par with what you can purchase nearby.

This is mostly a case of personal taste, though, and I definitely understand why you'd disagree.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Today's update is another short one - this dungeon is the shortest in the game, apart from the first trip to the Temple of Fiends. Plus we've already completed about a third of it.

This dungeon can't be reached by airship. We actually need to grab the ship for this one and sail to the northwest corner of the map.

This place should look familiar.

The Dark Cave has a very obvious gimmick and, as I mentioned the first time we came here, is an utter pain to navigate the first time you play. It's not too bad once you know how to tackle it, but it can still trip you up.

As you can see, there aren't many landmarks. You can tell when you're walking into a wall because the walking animation stops, but feeling your way along suuuuucks.

Heading west from the entrance takes us to the room where we got Sting and the INVS Ring, but we obviously don't need to return there. North and due east are dead ends. Heading south, then east, however, eventually takes us through a curving hallway and brings us in sight of two rooms - the only other two in the dungeon, in fact.

The smaller one on the right is our first stop.

Of course the treasure chest is guarded by a spiked tile. On our first trip here this would have been impossible. Now it's no problem.

Our reward is the Dragon Mail, the best mail armor in the game. It goes to Rogue, who gives Ranger his Opal Mail, and who in turn gives his mithril mail to Viking. Our party is now outfitted with the best armor they'll ever have.

Darks are the one new enemy type here. As you'd probably expect, they often ambush the party, having high evasion, and can inflict blindness with their attacks. They aren't nearly as deadly as airs, but even so, our physical-focused party isn't really well-equipped to fight them.

From the Dragon Mail room, we head east, south, and back west to the final room.

This reminds me of something...

Oh, right. The bonus dungeon bosses might be too impolite to introduce themselves, but at least this one has good taste in RPGs.

Our opponent today is Death. Like Lich, he's a powerful spellcaster, but unlike Lich, he never bothers with physical attacks. He has five spells - BIO, COMT, MTEO, STOP, and DETH - and will cycle through them continuously until one side is dead.

MTEO has a special text when it hits in combat. It's apparently supposed to be an NBA Jam reference, what with flaming orbs hitting you from the sky. There's something oddly satisfying about seeing it come up when it's cast on enemies, but here it just seems like Death is trash-talking us.

In a surprise move, CHKR turns out to be a clinch spell. A full heal and removing poison is exactly what we need.

Gorehowl does extra damage to spellcasting opponents. With HSTE applied, Viking becomes a goddamn killing machine here. He's easily our most powerful tool in this fight.

Having WALL up helped, but I still got really lucky with these, especially DETH.

Round 6 is a perfect example of how even lower-level spells can remain valuable in the late game. We could have managed with poison, but its damage is high enough that removing it is worth the time.

Surprising no one, Viking scores the final blow.

Bonus boss #2 is down, with commensurate rewards.

Our rewards are the Masamune and the Anathema, ultimate weapons for the Ninja and Warlock. Not terribly helpful to us.

And with that, this short dungeon is finished. The next one should be more interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I don't want to sound too harsh on this mod; I apologise if that came across. There is definitely a lot to like here, such as the class system, which is why perhaps the lacklustre equipment is so glaring. The amount of end-game gear that you are throwing out because it's only for one class (of 12, mind, which is a ton) that you don't have seems a really dodgy design decision right now. Nevertheless, this mod does have a lot going for it.