Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hi kids! Remember what was, really I tell you, merely one calendar year ago, when you made new years' resolutions for 2021? Did you resolve to spend more time with friends? Attend more concerts? REMAIN INDOORS, work on that game you've been meaning to write for years, sleeve all your cards, finally learn how to play Canasta?

Now you can reset the clock, because it's time to make Traditional Games 2022 New Year's Resolutions.

How it works is, you post your resolution(s) in this thread. They can be game-related or non-game-related, either or both is fine. In a couple of weeks I'll move this thread off to the hidden realms of the mod forum, and then next December after Christmas I or some other mod will have it moved back and you can see how you did!

For those of you who participated last year, here's the 2021 thread. It's open now, so you can post in that thread if you want to reply to stuff or discuss how you did: post in this thread to talk about what you're gonna do next year, or whatever. You can also be supportive and comment on each other's resolutions too, but please don't trash people for their failures, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
In 2022 I resolve to start an actual role-playing campaign in a non-D&D, either as a player or as GM, hopefully both.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I didn't post in this thread last year, but my resolution was to stop wasting so much free time on unproductive stuff like games and try to make a bit of money on the side instead. That turned into a sprawling 3D miniature printing business that has now consumed every free minute (and many sleep minutes), so I guess this year I need to move the pendulum back the other way somehow. I also want to fund my own line of miniatures with my profits, although finishing that in one year seems daunting.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
I didn't post last year but it was pretty disasterous for gaming and unlikely to improve this year. Given some of the things that happened to people I'm in contact with in 2021, that's not much to complain about though.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Get at least one (hopefully two) more novel(s) out and on sale.
Run a campaign in a game system I've never run before
Get my shoulder surgery done

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
Forgot last year as well, because loving lol, but did technically accomplish goal of being an actual professional miniature sculptor, even if it’s just small projects and individual commissions. Goal for this year is to keep improving on my digital sculpting, get some commercial gigs, and maybe set up a Patreon for some of the stuff I’ve been having fun with like BB sideine figures and Lancer mechs.

In non-gaming, need to jump through a shitload of bureaucratic hoops to get paperwork updated, as well as sewing some skirts.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I should have made one last year, I actually accomplished hobby and personal goals.

Maybe the key is in not stating them.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

I'm not making resolutions this year; the world needs to shape the gently caress up before I'll change for it.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Keeping it simple this year:

1. Continuing the tally of painted vs purchased and trying to make sure the first number is bigger.
2. Year of the Giant - paint an average of at least one giant or giant sized monster each month.

DressCodeBlue
Jun 15, 2006

Professional zombie impersonator.
I will actually finish at least one mini a week.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
In 2022 I will finish three pet projects and do something about the spare tyre I'm carrying around my midriff.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
*ties his kamikaze headband as he sets himself up for a suicide mission*

1) I'm going to try to keep my current pace of painting at least one mini per day on average....

...while also expecting my first baby in May.

2) I'm going to launch and deliver my first kickstarter with me first self-sculpted minis in 2022.

(Ok you gamer dads in the background, you can stop laughing at my folly now)

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

TG Related:
1. Run or participate in at least a short-lived campaign
2. Finish 2k each of flesh eater courts and cities of sigmar for AoS
3. Participate in a tournament
4. Sell out of Malifaux (maybe leave one master)

Non TG
1. Finally, buy an apartment or at least get on a path to it

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

1. Paint a full 48x48 Infinity table of terrain.
2. Finish the boring parts of my army like remotes and doubles so I can truly say I have a fully painted NCA army.
3. Clean up the hobby storage areas so they're not just disparate piles of stuff I'm constantly digging through.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
I'll run Dune 2D20

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
I didn't post a resolution last year and just renovated my place without promising to, like a chump. This year:

• Post a resolution (:nice:)
  • Crowdfund and release another Hard Wired Island thing
  • Finish releasing Breakfast Cult expansions
  • Finish the FATAL & Friends CthulhuTech reviews
  • Release at least one of the other games I'm working on
  • Get my first light novel text-complete
  • I'm mostly waiting for my visual novel to get art, but release that if at all possible

Ettin fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jan 8, 2022

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Last year's:

Vidmaster posted:

TG related:
Play all the board games I've acquired at least once
Back fewer projects on kickstarter and stop falling into the all-in FOMO trap

Non-TG:
Finish my Masters and at least one related certification
Walk 750 miles this year
Make homemade pizza twice a month

Didn't manage to play all my games, but I at least knocked out a few of them so a net increase in played games was good. I did back significantly fewer KS projects last year, so that one was a success! For my non-TG stuff, I finished my MS (and kept a 4.0!) and the CSSLP, and I think my wife and I made pizza twice in most months. Didn't walk my 750 miles so I am still chonky.

This year:
Play those drat games!
Sell some of the games I have that I don't care for.
Walk 750 miles and generally take better care of myself
Pick up at least 3 new professional certifications.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Resolutions:
  • Run at least one game of CoC, Trail of Cthulhu, and Cthulhu Dark
  • Run at least one live or semi-live game on Roll20 or Fantasy Grounds
  • Develop the Highlander/dueling idea knocking around in my head
  • Get back to the gym on a less haphazard basis
  • Actually finish at least a couple of projects in GarageBand
  • Improve my keyboard skills
  • Knuckle down on expanding my music theory
  • Learn beginning photography

That feels like a lot, but I choose to be optimistic this year!

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Hmm, what's going to be my theme this year? I know!

2022 will be the "Year of Ambition" for me!

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

So after a 50% success(ish) rate on last year, this is my 2022 resolutions

TG related:
1. Play all the new board games you bought! All of them! Any you don't play, you have to sell when this unlocks.
2. Get Zeitgeist back off the ground and get it closer to finishing. You still love this campaign ffs.
3. Do some in person games. Lockdown is ending, and you need human contact!
4. Be a player in an RPG that you actually want to be a player in. Stop forever DMing.
5. Win a drat game of Everdell against your wife. She's kickin your rear end.

Non TG related resolutions
1. That last 5kg! Get 'er dun
2. Try and smash out 12 hikes. You set a goal for 1/month, that's easy street.
3. Celebrate the crap out of getting debt free, because that's what this year is about. No more lovely spending, only lovely saving.
4. Get a deposit for a house. Don't buy a house though, that's not possible in this climate. Just get a deposit, that'd be cool.
5. Continue not getting COVID and/or dying.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
My New Year's Resolution (tm) this year is to try out new artistic mediums. As that relates to TG, I have a couple ideas for projects I want to tackle:

--Try out different layout tricks. I've done some Mork Borg layout but now I wanna aim for more traditional styles out layout, as well as other systems and aesthetics.
--Attempt to compose a soundtrack album for a game or a dungeon or something. I'm thinking something synth-y, along the lines of Kobold/Gnoll or 2 4 1 8.
--Video editing! A Kickstarter video, some Youtube voice acting, or stuff like that.

Almost everything in my life ties back to TG eventually so I'm sure those will too, but that's my lack-of-plan.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I'm planning to finish my fitness goal, having accomplished about 2/3s in 2021.

I'm also going to play at least one game of Warmaster with a fully painted army.

E: Let's reach for the stars - I'm going to 3d print a titan.

moths fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jan 29, 2022

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I am going to play in at least one game per fortnight.

I am going to run as many of the little games like The Skeletons that I buy and never play as I can.

I am going to try to write some little games along those lines, because I enjoy that process.

I am not going to die from the cancer I was diagnosed with this year.

Octavo
Feb 11, 2019

Run one final game (blades in the dark) before the baby arrives in April.
Persuade someone else to run games for the rest of the year while I figure out parenting.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

This thread will be whisked to the secret hideout at the end of January which is in three days! Get in your resolutions now, or you'll have to wait till next year before you can start improving your life.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I've definitely been paying attention to the forums!

I'm hoping to run a DnD game, write and run some LARP missions, play plenty of online tabletop, and make lots of props.

And other than the first one I'm already succeeding at all of them. Nice.

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:
I want to play a game of Diplomacy again.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Spiteski posted:

So after a 50% success(ish) rate on last year, this is my 2022 resolutions

TG related:
1. Play all the new board games you bought! All of them! Any you don't play, you have to sell when this unlocks.
2. Get Zeitgeist back off the ground and get it closer to finishing. You still love this campaign ffs.
3. Do some in person games. Lockdown is ending, and you need human contact!
4. Be a player in an RPG that you actually want to be a player in. Stop forever DMing.
5. Win a drat game of Everdell against your wife. She's kickin your rear end.

Non TG related resolutions
1. That last 5kg! Get 'er dun
2. Try and smash out 12 hikes. You set a goal for 1/month, that's easy street.
3. Celebrate the crap out of getting debt free, because that's what this year is about. No more lovely spending, only lovely saving.
4. Get a deposit for a house. Don't buy a house though, that's not possible in this climate. Just get a deposit, that'd be cool.
5. Continue not getting COVID and/or dying.

TG Related:
1 We got 95% of the way through our collection with only 3 still on the shelf (excluding games received from Xmas gifts, because that doesn't count).
2 We got 4 sessions of Zeitgeist done this year. Which is good but now it seems fully dead in the water halfway through second book. Very gutted.
3 We now run a local game group for just this! Great success!
4 Nope. RPGs are dead to me. Local interest died, and now I focus on board games instead.
5 Nope, RIP. She also kicks my rear end left right and center on even more games now. Still a win!

Non TG
1 I got to 99 kgs! (lost 36 total) Goal achieved! I put some back on over xmas, but this will stay I reckon
2 Noooooo not even close. Won't even go into this one.
3 Didn't get debt free, but cleared student loan, and cleared one of the car finances (50grand debt cleared) so well on our way.
4 No deposit, no house, median price is 1 mill now. Cooooool
5 Got COVID, didn't die. 50% win.

All in all I am pretty happy with my goals and how I went towards them. Sad that RPGs are definitely seeing less play time, contributing to me selling nearly my whole collection of RPGs (only playtime I get is online now, so PDFs are fine). But very happy that board games have been such a social and hobby success for me.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Absurd Alhazred posted:

In 2022 I resolve to start an actual role-playing campaign in a non-D&D, either as a player or as GM, hopefully both.

I started playing in a CoC campaign recently! I did it! :unsmith:

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Cat Face Joe posted:

1. Paint a full 48x48 Infinity table of terrain.
2. Finish the boring parts of my army like remotes and doubles so I can truly say I have a fully painted NCA army.
3. Clean up the hobby storage areas so they're not just disparate piles of stuff I'm constantly digging through.

1. noooppee

2. nnooooooopppppeee

3. yes! but it's a huge fukin mess again but not as bad cause I now have a dedicated workspace for it all.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

lilljonas posted:

*ties his kamikaze headband as he sets himself up for a suicide mission*

1) I'm going to try to keep my current pace of painting at least one mini per day on average....

...while also expecting my first baby in May.

2) I'm going to launch and deliver my first kickstarter with me first self-sculpted minis in 2022.

(Ok you gamer dads in the background, you can stop laughing at my folly now)

1) not really. I think I painter some 200 minis this year. So not awful, but not bad, as the reason for painting less is that I have stepped up my sculpting game, scultping dome 40 minis this Autumn.

2) ding ding ding!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/farflungfigures/the-silver-feather-adventure-guild

It was a blast and I’m dead set on doing a second in 2023. About half the minis are already sculpted.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Agent Rush posted:

Hmm, what's going to be my theme this year? I know!

2022 will be the "Year of Ambition" for me!

I've completed my most feature-complete game ever in 2022, so I'll take the success!:toot:

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
I expected the year to kinda suck for RPGing and it did. Called it I guess.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I made checks notes zero (0) resolutions this year. I think I still succeeded somehow, just not at RPGs? :justtrans:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Get at least one (hopefully two) more novel(s) out and on sale.
Run a campaign in a game system I've never run before
Get my shoulder surgery done

Number one and two were a failure, but I got to run an Underground Campaign which turned out pretty good even with the janky Mayfair rules.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

potatocubed posted:

In 2022 I will finish three pet projects and do something about the spare tyre I'm carrying around my midriff.

This year I finished somewhere between three and six pet projects depending on how you count, and while the spare tire remains I have started going to the gym on the regular again. So I'm going to call that a success.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

DigitalRaven posted:

I'm not making resolutions this year; the world needs to shape the gently caress up before I'll change for it.

lol

lmao

no

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

ibntumart posted:

Resolutions:
  • Run at least one game of CoC, Trail of Cthulhu, and Cthulhu Dark
  • Run at least one live or semi-live game on Roll20 or Fantasy Grounds
  • Develop the Highlander/dueling idea knocking around in my head
  • Get back to the gym on a less haphazard basis
  • Actually finish at least a couple of projects in GarageBand
  • Improve my keyboard skills
  • Learn beginning photography

That feels like a lot, but I choose to be optimistic this year!

Ugh, was kind of dreading revisiting this…. Let’s see:
  • Nope to running anything, either PBP or live
  • Didn’t actually start writing or sketching out dueling/Highlander RPG
  • Did go back to the gym by choosing the fun option (HEMA, i.e., training with blunted longswords), but gave up again almost immediately thanks to work part of work-life balance sapping determination
  • Moved onto Logic Pro and have a couple of projects that are maybe not 100% finished, but I’m content with for now
  • Keyboard and applied music theory did get better…finally at the point I can listen to something and figure out the melody if it’s not that complicated
  • Still very much at beginning stage, but read up more on the basics and have taken a pic or two I’m semi-proud of

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Zark the Damned posted:

Keeping it simple this year:

1. Continuing the tally of painted vs purchased and trying to make sure the first number is bigger.
2. Year of the Giant - paint an average of at least one giant or giant sized monster each month.

Yes and yes! A first for me...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

moths posted:

I'm planning to finish my fitness goal, having accomplished about 2/3s in 2021.

I'm also going to play at least one game of Warmaster with a fully painted army.

E: Let's reach for the stars - I'm going to 3d print a titan.

1) Almost! Got a personal best on my bloodwork, with the healthiest A1C since I've started keeping track of it. BMI is a little higher than I'd like, but who's isn't?

2) ugh, not yet.

3)

He's only AT scale and in-progress, but that's the best I could do with the tools I've got!