Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

HerraS posted:

Your die roll is a 4! And I see you edited your post while I was typing this up. Update to follow in a minute.

That's funny because a 4 was literally the one number I would have to think the most about, but my decision stands.

Activate cells in Hame, Uusimaa, Tampere, Turku

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

While increasing food prices spark unrest, veteran SDP politician and future Prime Minister Väinö Tanner manages to keep things under control and sideline the radical elements in the city of Turku. Meanwhile the Red Guards prepare for action across the nation.

Game map:

Order of Play:

1. The Senate
2. The Reds
3. Moderates

Current Event Card:

Next Event Card:

:siren: After the Event Card 'Trains', we will enter the Propaganda Zone! The first Propaganda Card will be one of the five cards after 'Trains'! :siren:

Game Summary:

Senate Resources: 3
Population in Senate controlled Towns: 1

Reds Resources: 5
Total Opposition + Administrations: 3

Moderate Resources: 5
Networks + Resolved Issues +1: 1

German Vassalage: 3
Russian Vassalage: 3

Total number of Senate & Reds Cells on map: 16

The Senate will act first, followed by the Reds, followed by the Moderates.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Senate - Event

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

The Senate plays the unshaded version of the Jaeger Event. One Jaeger marker is placed in the Capabilities box.

The Reds' turn to act. Your options are Command /w Special Activity, Limited Command, or Pass.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
I think it's time to put some men on the map.

Command w/ Special. Rally in Turku, Hame, and Tampere. Spending 3 resources to place 1 cell in Turku and 2 in Hame and Tampere. Gain control of Turku. Political Event in the four spaces with active cells to regain 4 resources. Net gain of 1 resource. This should put us 6 short of the pivotal event.

edit: Oops, forgot polarization was an issue. Okay let me redo this.

Ithle01 fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jan 8, 2022

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

You can only Rally in up to 3 spaces since Polarization is still at 3.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

HerraS posted:

You can only Rally in up to 3 spaces since Polarization is still at 3.

My mistake, I edited my post to the correct order.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
Any bets where the first bouts of real fighting are gonna be at?

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Triple A posted:

Any bets where the first bouts of real fighting are gonna be at?

Looking like a good time to stay out of Turku just now.

It's interesting to see how this particular COIN game handles both violent and non-violent factions.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

The Reds conduct a Command /w Special Activity to Rally in Turku, Häme and Tampere. The Reds spend 3 Resources. One Red Cell is placed in Turku. Two Red Cells are placed in both Häme and Tampere. Afterwards the Reds conduct Political Activity in Turku, Häme, Tampere and Uusimaa. The Reds gain 4 Resources. Turku is now under Red control. The number of Senate & Red Cells on the map is now 21. Red Resources are now 6.

It is the Moderates' turn to act. Your options are Limited Command or Pass.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Sorry for the double post put this just crossed my mind:

One thing I'll bring up here since it's not instantly obvious when reading the rules is that you can conduct a Special Activity in the middle of doing a Command. The most obvious use of this would be to pause a Rally action to get more Resources and then Rally in more spaces. You still have to choose every space you want to Rally in when you announce your moves.

So for example you only have two Resources but you choose 4 spaces to Rally in. You pay for two, and then do a Special Activity to get two more Resources, and then pay for the last two.

Mighty Eris
Mar 24, 2005

Jolly good show, eh old man?
Thanks for the note, that opens up some new possibilites. And yeah, that way this game plays with active/underground is breaking my mind a little.

Moderates Limited Action - Message in Turku - Flip Moderate cell in Turku to underground.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

The Moderates conduct the Message Limited Command in Turku. The Moderates pay 1 Resource. The Moderate Cell in Turku is flipped.

Around 1,500 volunteers traveled from Finland to Germany during the First World War to serve as volunteers in the Imperial German Army against Russia. These Jaegers would later form the core of the Senate forces in the Finnish Civil War, being by far the most effective combat troops either side could muster. As the Jaegers get ready to sail for Finland, Red Guard numbers in Western Finland swell.

Game map:

Order of Play:

1. Moderates
2. The Senate

The Reds are not eligible this turn.

Current Event Card:

Next Event Card:

:siren: We are in the Propaganda Zone! The first Propaganda Card will be one of the four cards after 'February Revolution'! :siren:

Game Summary:

Reds Resources: 6

Moderate Resources: 4

Total number of Senate & Reds Cells on map: 21

The Moderates will act first, followed by the Senate.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Dear Moderates, if you wish to avoid the Red Revolt and following civil war, you need to reduce the amount of red cells and polarization.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

HerraS posted:

Sorry for the double post put this just crossed my mind:

One thing I'll bring up here since it's not instantly obvious when reading the rules is that you can conduct a Special Activity in the middle of doing a Command. The most obvious use of this would be to pause a Rally action to get more Resources and then Rally in more spaces. You still have to choose every space you want to Rally in when you announce your moves.

So for example you only have two Resources but you choose 4 spaces to Rally in. You pay for two, and then do a Special Activity to get two more Resources, and then pay for the last two.

Thanks, this was useful. So many of the rules are still very cryptic to me, but watching others make their moves has taught me a alot.

Mighty Eris
Mar 24, 2005

I can only replace cells with a special action. If you want to take the fight to the Red's I won't make any counter moves, but I will keep trying to keep polarization down and keep my cells safe. Sound good?

I ask because I really need to take a Command + Special Action this turn, and would prefer to reduce support in Vaasa with Dialogue, but if your cell in Vaasa was about to "reduce tension" by reducing the amount of Red cells on the map, I could be convinced to Dialogue Turku instead.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Loxbourne posted:

Looking like a good time to stay out of Turku just now.

It's interesting to see how this particular COIN game handles both violent and non-violent factions.

Turku is a priority for me, but for agitation not terror. Attacking the moderate cell there is a consideration, but not really one that's worth the energy right now. Helsinki or Viirpuri are far more likely to go off.

The active cell there was so I would have a safe place to raise funds for more actions, not to attack the moderates (although that is a side effect that I can certainly pursue if I find a reason to do so).

Ithle01 fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 8, 2022

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Mighty Eris posted:

I can only replace cells with a special action. If you want to take the fight to the Red's I won't make any counter moves, but I will keep trying to keep polarization down and keep my cells safe. Sound good?

I ask because I really need to take a Command + Special Action this turn, and would prefer to reduce support in Vaasa with Dialogue, but if your cell in Vaasa was about to "reduce tension" by reducing the amount of Red cells on the map, I could be convinced to Dialogue Turku instead.

Lol, negotiations about tactics are hard when you don't have pms.

This is my first COIN game, and I'm not 100% on track regarding rules, less alone tactics. But if I've understood correctly, the Reds will go first on the next round if neither of us will pass. And if the polarization hasn't gone down, the Reds will be able to rally in three locations, and if they choose Häme, Tampere, and Uusimaa, they'll get six more cells which would replace the next event card with the Red Revolt card. If the polarization goes down, they can only place four more cells, and the Red Revolt will get delayed.

Mighty Eris
Mar 24, 2005

Eh, propoganda is coming and on reflection I can't afford to let you possibly take that town and make your goal. As always, I guess the moderate will have to hurt both sides equally to show how fair I am.

Command - Negotiate in Turku + Dialogue in Vaasa.

edit: And I posted at the same time as you! Sorry about no PMs, but I like to keep it all at the table either way.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Mighty Eris posted:

Eh, propoganda is coming and on reflection I can't afford to let you possibly take that town and make your goal. As always, I guess the moderate will have to hurt both sides equally to show how fair I am.

Command - Negotiate in Turku + Dialogue in Vaasa.

edit: And I posted at the same time as you! Sorry about no PMs, but I like to keep it all at the table either way.

Yeah np, I guess having all negotiations in the open simulates a normal board game experience more.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

You can additionally lower the polarization level with the Negotiate command.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

All negotiations should be made in the open since COIN games have no secret information. This is stated in the rulebook as well. Factions can transfer Resources between each other when one of them is conduction an Operation or an Event, but agreements are not binding.

So, to clarify, do the Moderates want to shift Polarization as part of the Negotiate Action in Turku (since you can do that) and are you using Dialogue to shift Support in Vaasa or to replace the Senate Cell with a Moderate Cell? I assume you want to shift Support but this is a helpful reminder to tell me which option you are doing when you can do several things with an action.

Mighty Eris
Mar 24, 2005

HerraS posted:

All negotiations should be made in the open since COIN games have no secret information. This is stated in the rulebook as well. Factions can transfer Resources between each other when one of them is conduction an Operation or an Event, but agreements are not binding.

So, to clarify, do the Moderates want to shift Polarization as part of the Negotiate Action in Turku (since you can do that) and are you using Dialogue to shift Support in Vaasa or to replace the Senate Cell with a Moderate Cell? I assume you want to shift Support but this is a helpful reminder to tell me which option you are doing when you can do several things with an action.

Thank you for the reminder of being specific - Shift Polarization downards, and replace the senate cell with a moderate cell.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

The Moderates perform a Command /w Special Activity. The Moderates conduct a Negotiate Action in Turku. The Moderates pay 1 Resource. The Moderate Cell and the Active Red Cell in Turku are flipped. Polarization is now 2. The Moderates conduct a Dialogue Action in Vaasa. The Moderate Cell in Vaasa is flipped. The Senate Cell in Vaasa is replaced with a Moderate Cell. The number of Senate & Red Cells on the map is now 20.

It is now the Senate's turn. Your options are Event, Limited Command or Pass.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

HerraS posted:

Check.

Senate - Limited Command: Activism – Activate cells in the following order: Viipuri, Helsinki, Karelia, Pohjanmaa, Helsinki, Viipuri

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

The Senate performs Activism as a Limited Command to activate Cells. The Senate pays 1 Resource. The die roll is a 5. 2 Senate Cells are activated in Helsinki. 1 Senate Cell is activated in Viipuri, Karelia and Pohjanmaa.

Negotiators from the moderate group of activists are hard at work to reduce tensions in Turku and Vaasa. White Guards around Finland begin springing into action.

Game map:

Order of Play:

1. The Reds
2. The Senate

The Moderates are not eligible this turn.

Current Event Card:

Next Event Card:

:siren: We are in the Propaganda Zone! The first Propaganda Card will be one of the three cards after 'Mobilization'! :siren:

Game Summary:

Senate Resources: 2

Reds Resources: 6

Moderate Resources: 3

Polarization: 2

Total number of Senate & Reds Cells on map: 20

The Reds will act first, followed by the Senate.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
Well, I don't like my options and I'm going to hope the next card under Mobilization In the Periphery isn't the prop card. I think there might be some Monty Hall-esque math in that though and if I'm wrong this looks really bad.

Limited Command: Rally in Tampere to replace two cells with a Red administration.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
I suck at these kind of games, so I will just cheer from the sidelines. :munch:

My ancestors include people who were involved on the Red side :ninja: in this civil war. I am rooting for the moderates in the conflict. :finland:

Propaganda: "Surrender, we won't kill prisoners!"
Reality: :commissar::commissar::commissar:

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Senate - Pass

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

The Reds perform Rally as a Limited Command in Tampere. The Reds pay 1 Resource. 2 Red Cells in Tampere are replaced with an Administration. Opposition + Administrations is now 4. Number of Senate & White Cells is now 18.

The Senate passes. +1 Senate Resource.

The greatest challenge for the Reds in the coming months is building up a new governing administration from scratch. They begin their work towards this goal at Tampere, which would become of the central battlefields in the Civil War.

Game map:

Order of Play:

1. The Senate
2. Moderates
3. The Reds

Current Event Card:

Next Event Card:

:siren: We are in the Propaganda Zone! The first Propaganda Card will be one of the two cards after 'Cannons'! :siren:

Game Summary:

Reds Resources: 5
Total Opposition + Administrations: 4

Total number of Senate & Reds Cells on map: 18

The Senate will act first, followed by the Moderates, followed by the Reds.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

SlightlyMad posted:

I suck at these kind of games, so I will just cheer from the sidelines. :munch:

My ancestors include people who were involved on the Red side :ninja: in this civil war. I am rooting for the moderates in the conflict. :finland:

Propaganda: "Surrender, we won't kill prisoners!"
Reality: :commissar::commissar::commissar:

Yeah, the only good side in this game are the Moderates.

In hindsight my first full command wasn't a very good one. The Senate shouldn't start to expand heavily before the first propaganda round ends, because that could make the Reds able to start the Red Revolt at an early phase, and the number of the Senate cells is limited before they get the conscription. And when the Red Revolt happens, the Reds can remove all the Senate cells from one town where they have their own cells.

Senate - Event: increase support in Oulu

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

The Senate performs the 'Mobilization in the Periphery' Event to increase Support in Oulun lääni. Oulun lääni is now at Passive Support.

The Moderates' turn to act. Your options are Command /w Special Activity, Limited Command, or Pass.

Mighty Eris
Mar 24, 2005

ChubbyChecker posted:

In hindsight my first full command wasn't a very good one. The Senate shouldn't start to expand heavily before the first propaganda round ends, because that could make the Reds able to start the Red Revolt at an early phase, and the number of the Senate cells is limited before they get the conscription. And when the Red Revolt happens, the Reds can remove all the Senate cells from one town where they have their own cells.

Senate - Event: increase support in Oulu

Every game is a learning game, right?

And I have to say that without the pressure of the variant rules I can see how easy it would be to never play my personality - the full round ineligibility after a command + special has made specials feel a little more rare than I'm used to.

Speaking of which - Moderates - Command w/ Special Activity. Rally in Vaasa, replacing two moderate cells with a network. Personality placed in Vaasa.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
After the Moderates I'll take a Limited Command: Rally in Uusimaa to place two cells.

I think we all learned a lot from this first round, I wish I'd done a few things differently myself and I made some dumb decisions like that rally last turn to place an administration was totally unnecessary because I could have done it in the prop round.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Mighty Eris posted:

Moderates - Command w/ Special Activity. Rally in Vaasa, replacing two moderate cells with a network. Personality placed in Vaasa.

The Moderates' Personality can't be placed (or even exist) in a space without a Moderate Cell, so you can't place them in Vaasa if you replace both of your Cells with an Administration (if you placed them first and then replaced the Cells you would have to remove the Personality as per the rule on page 5). Would you like to place them in Turku or Helsinki instead?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Btw, thanks for running this, it's a quite interesting game!

And for the other players and the peanut gallery, the playbook linked in the op has historical background about the conflict and for the event cards.

Mighty Eris
Mar 24, 2005

HerraS posted:

The Moderates' Personality can't be placed (or even exist) in a space without a Moderate Cell, so you can't place them in Vaasa if you replace both of your Cells with an Administration (if you placed them first and then replaced the Cells you would have to remove the Personality as per the rule on page 5). Would you like to place them in Turku or Helsinki instead?

Please put them in Helsinki, and sorry for the error.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

The Moderates conduct a Rally Action in Vaasa. The Moderates pay 1 Resource. The Moderate Cells in Vaasa are replaced with a Network. Networks + Issues + 1 is now 2. The Moderates also conduct a Personality Special Action in Helsinki. The Personality is placed in Helsinki.

The Reds conduct a Rally Action in Uusimaa as a Limited Command. The Reds pay 1 Resource. Two Red Cells are placed in Uusimaa. The number of Senate & Red Cells on the map is now 20.

Moderate activists begin forming a network of informants and activists in Vaasa. Red Guards increase their numbers in Uusimaa, while support for the government grows in the northern province of Oulu.

Game map:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOy6hqzfsAs

The first Propaganda Card is revealed and immediately swapped with the 'Cannons' Event Card! The first Propaganda round begins!

1. Victory Phase

No Faction has met their Victory Condition. The game continues.

2. Politics Phase

The Moderates' Personality is on the map.

There are no Cubes in the Political Display. No Issues are Resolved.

3. Resource Phase

The Senate receives 4 Resources. (Total number of Support on the Map regardless of Population.)
The Reds receive 4 Resources. (Total number of Population in Red controlled Towns and Provinces.)
The Moderates receive 1 Resource. (One for every two points of Polarization under 5.)

4. Support Phase

Russian Turmoil. Russian Vassalage drops one step to 2.

Agitation. Each faction may now shift Support and Opposition or decrease Polarization. The Reds and Moderates may place a Network or Administration. The Moderates may place cubes in the Political Display.

All Factions will now perform Agitation as per the rules on p. 18 of the Rulebook. The Senate conducts Agitation first, followed by the Reds, followed by the Moderates.

Game Summary:

Senate Resources: 7

Reds Resources: 8
Total Opposition + Administrations: 4

Networks + Resolved Issues +1: 2

Russian Vassalage: 2

Total number of Senate & Reds Cells on map: 20

The Senate will conduct Agitation first, followed by the Reds, followed by the Moderates.

Please ask if the rules concerning Agitation on p. 18 are unclear or confusing!

HerraS fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jan 10, 2022

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Senate - Shift Support up to x2 in Viipuri, Karelia and Pohjanmaa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
Replace two cells in Hame with administration. Shift Hame, and Tampere to active opposition.