Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Oh hey, I always love a COIN LP! Rooting for the Senate as the true guardians of the Finnish spirit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mighty Eris
Mar 24, 2005

Jolly good show, eh old man?
Moderates decrease polarization by one, and places one white cube in the political display.

I believe that should be okay?

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
Well, I'm not thrilled about a lot of things that happened, but that could have gone worse all told. At least I actually have resources right now.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Ithle01 posted:

Replace two cells in Hame with administration. Shift Hame, and Tampere to active opposition.

You can't both place an Administration and shift Support in Häme during Agitation: you can only do one of the three actions listed (place Administration/shift Support/decrease Polarization) in each eligible space per Propaganda round.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

HerraS posted:

You can't both place an Administration and shift Support in Häme during Agitation: you can only do one of the three actions listed (place Administration/shift Support/decrease Polarization) in each eligible space per Propaganda round.

Ah, well then place the administration and leave Hame at passive opposition.

Ithle01 fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jan 11, 2022

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

The Senate conducts Agitation in Viipuri, Karelia and Pohjanmaa. All three spaces are shifted to Active Support. The Senate pays 5 Resources.

The Reds conduct Agitation in Häme and Tampere. Two Red Cells in Häme are replaced with an Administration. Tampere is shifted to Active Opposition. The Reds pay 2 Resources. Total number of Senate & Red Cells is now 18. Opposition + Administrations is now 6.

The Moderates conduct Agitation in two spaces. The Moderates pay 2 Resources. Polarization is decreased by 1. A White Cube is placed in the Political Display.

This is not the final Propaganda round. The game continues.

5. Reset phase

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAXhpXs4EP8

This is the first Propaganda round. The Senate Conscription happens. 10 Cells are added to the Senate's available forces.

The Propaganda round ends.

Game map:

Order of Play:

1. The Reds
2. The Senate

The Moderates are not eligible this turn.

Current Event Card:

Next Event Card:

Game Summary:

Senate Resources: 2
Population in Senate controlled Towns: 1

Reds Resources: 6
Total Opposition + Administrations: 6

Moderate Resources: 1
Networks + Resolved Issues +1: 2

German Vassalage: 3
Russian Vassalage: 2

Polarization: 1

Total number of Senate & Reds Cells on map: 18

The Reds will act first, followed by the Senate.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
I guess I'll take the Event so I'm not hopelessly outclassed in phase 2.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

The Reds conduct the Cannons Event. One Red Cannons marker is placed in the Capabilities box.

The Senate's turn to act. Your options are Command /w Special Activity, Limited Command, or Pass.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Senate - Command /w Special Activity - Terror in Viipuri and Helsinki against the Reds - Political event in Viipuri, Karelia, and Pohjanmaa

ChubbyChecker fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jan 11, 2022

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
Probably should have expected that, but at least the damage isn't too bad.

By the way, HerraS, this is going really well and I can't believe how dedicated you are to this - I'll try to repay that favor some day - but one suggestion. Since we're past the first propaganda round can you start numbering what card we're on just so it's easier to track where we are in the deck? For example, Card #X or something like that.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

The Senate conducts Terror in Helsinki and Viipuri. The Senate pays 2 Resources. The Red Cells in Helsinki and Viipuri are removed. A White Terror marker is placed in Helsinki and Viipuri. Polarization is now 3. The number of Senate & Red Cells on the map is now 16. The Senate conducts a Political Event in Viipuri, Karelia and Pohjanmaa. The Senate gains 3 Resources.

The Red Guards begin the arduous process of securing better weapons as political violence in the cities of Helsinki and Viipuri erupts. White Guards imprison, drive out and kill confirmed and suspected Red Guard members and symphatizers.

Game map:

Order of Play:

1. Moderates
2. The Reds

The Senate is not eligible this turn.

Current Event Card (#10):

Next Event Card (#11):

Ithle01 posted:

Since we're past the first propaganda round can you start numbering what card we're on just so it's easier to track where we are in the deck? For example, Card #X or something like that.

No problem! The current Event Card (Political Struggle) is Event Card #10.

Game Summary:

Senate Resources: 3

Moderate Resources: 1

Polarization: 3

Total number of Senate & Reds Cells on map: 16

The Moderates will act first, followed by the Reds.

HerraS fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Jan 11, 2022

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Ithle01 posted:

Probably should have expected that, but at least the damage isn't too bad.

As I said earlier, my first move where I rallied in Viipuri and Helsinki wasn't probably a good one, but since I had expanded there, and had rolled well with my activist roll, terror seemed like a good move now. It's interesting how the early moves affect the game in the long run. Like that one event card that placed a moderate cell in Vaasa that ended up kicking the Senate out of its capital.

Probably I should have gone with the historical route and consolidated the north, then mobilized, and then marched south. I haven't played COIN games before, but it seems that going by the historical route is a better strategy because then you'll get more help from the event cards. But of course the ahistorical strategies are more entertaining.

ChubbyChecker fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Jan 11, 2022

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
Thanks HerraS, makes it easier to see where we are now.

ChubbyChecker, I think you're definitely setup to be in a better position for round 2 than round 1. I should paid more attention to the rural areas to make controlling and then building support a little harder.

Mighty Eris
Mar 24, 2005

I still have no idea how to keep a tenuous peace going, but I know that at the very least I'm going to need resources.

Moderates Command + Special - Message in Turku, moving Moderate cell to Vaasa, flipping underground. Publish in Vaasa and Helsinki, activating one underground Moderate cell in each.

And yeah, HerraS you've done an admirable job keeping things moving and by the rules, thanks for running this.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

This game is quite well suited for a forums game, at least for the players, because you get enough time to ponder your options, and what the other players might do. But lol, I did not see that coming!

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
Ugh, this is not what I want to be doing at all, but if I want Helsinki to stay out of the hands of the Senate I'm going to have to.

Pass.

On the next card when I play Event: Place two Red cells in Helsinki.

Not a great play, but the Senate already has one town and is too close to having three. Also, I don't want them using that event to shift Helsinki to support which would be a total disaster.

Mighty Eris
Mar 24, 2005

Depending on how the events go I'll be trying to negotiate and dialogue with the senate in Helsinki. I'm open to anybody who wants to reduce polarization so we can start getting some political reforms enacted.

Also yeah this can be a pretty grim playbook, but the last COIN I played was Colonial Twilight so uhhh par for the course

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Mighty Eris posted:

Depending on how the events go I'll be trying to negotiate and dialogue with the senate in Helsinki. I'm open to anybody who wants to reduce polarization so we can start getting some political reforms enacted.

Also yeah this can be a pretty grim playbook, but the last COIN I played was Colonial Twilight so uhhh par for the course

Yeah, the game might be fun and interesting as a game, but the war was extremely grim as civil wars usually are. And the Senate can basically win only by using terror and military attacks. The Reds and the Moderates have a chance to win by more peaceful means.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

e: lets see what the next card is first

ChubbyChecker fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jan 11, 2022

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Moderates conduct a Message Command in Turku, moving the Moderate Cell from Turku to Varsinais-Suomi -> Pohjanmaa -> Vaasa. The Moderate Cell is flipped at the end of its movement. The Moderates pay 1 resource. The Moderates then conduct a Publish Special Activity in Helsinki and Vaasa. One underground Moderates Cell is flipped in each. The Moderates gain 6 Resources (1+1 for Publishing in 2 Towns and 2+2 for flipping 2 Cells).

The Reds Pass. +1 Reds Resources.

Moderate activits go to work in Helsinki and Vaasa, publishing pamphlets calling for the end of political strife and unity across the nation.

Game map:

Order of Play:

1. The Reds
2. The Senate

The Moderates are not eligible this turn.

Current Event Card (#11):

Next Event Card (#12):

Game Summary:

Senate Resources: 3

Reds Resources: 7

Moderate Resources: 6

Polarization: 3

Total number of Senate & Reds Cells on map: 16

The Reds conduct the unshaded version of the 'Powers Act' Event, placing two Red Cells in Helsinki. Total number of Senate & Red Cells is now 18.

The Senate's turn to act. Your options are Command /w Special Activity, Limited Command, or Pass.

HerraS fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jan 11, 2022

Mighty Eris
Mar 24, 2005

Shouldn't I also get 2 more resources for the two town spaces?

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Whoops, missed that flipping a Cell gives you two resources instead of one. I'll fix the post.

Mighty Eris
Mar 24, 2005

*edit* cleaned up

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Senate - Limited Command - Terror in Helsinki against the Reds

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

The Senate conducts Terror as a Limited Command in Helsinki. The Senate pays 1 Resource. One Red Cell is removed from Helsinki. A second White Terror marker is placed in Helsinki. Polarization is now 4. Total number of Senate & Red Cells on the map is now 17.

The 'Powers' Act of 1917 is an attempt by the left-wing majority parliament to make it the supreme political authority in Finland. The conservative Senate refuses to recognize it, and with the Russian Provisional Government still clinging to power the Social Democrats have no choice but to back down. This radicalizes the Red Guards even further and clashes between Reds and Whites take place in Helsinki.

Game map:

Order of Play:

1. Moderates
2. The Senate
3. The Reds

Current Event Card (#12):

Next Event Card (#13):

Game Summary:

Senate Resources: 2

Reds Resources: 7

Polarization: 4

Total number of Senate & Reds Cells on map: 17

The Moderates will act first, followed by the Senate, followed by the Reds.

Mighty Eris
Mar 24, 2005

Moderates take event - Public weary of disorder - Place Moderate cell in Helsinki

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Senate - Limited Command - Terror in Helsinki against the Reds

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
Well, back to plan A?

Command + Special: Rally in 4 locations because polarization is at 4 and use Political Event to recoup 3 resources. Rally locations are Varsinais-Suomi, Hame, Tampere, and Uusimaa. Place 3 cells in Tampere, 2 cells in Hame and Uusimaa, 1 cell in Varsinais-Suomi. The total cost should be 4 -3 from my special leaving me with 6 resources remaining.

Just so the moderates know, it takes about 3 actions for me to remove a Senate piece in Helsinki so there's no way from an action economy perspective for me to really do anything about their cells. Good luck in there.

Ithle01 fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jan 11, 2022

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

A correction: Polarization is still only at 4 after the last Senate Terror, since Helsinki already has two Terror markers there and a space can't have more than two of those in it. Polarization only increases when a Terror marker is placed on the map as part of the Terror Action. This means that doing Terror in a space with 2 markers in it does not increase Polarization.

HerraS fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jan 11, 2022

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

HerraS posted:

A correction: Polarization is still only at 4 after the last Senate Terror, since Helsinki already has two Terror markers there and a space can't have more than two of those in it. Polarization only increases when a Terror marker is placed on the map as part of the Terror Action. This means that doing Terror in a space with 2 markers in it does not increase Polarization.

Oh, well then I guess that's something that makes me less worried. I guess I'll go with a slightly different plan and edit my post. Man, I'm really dropping the ball on these rules point the last few cards, thanks for proofreading my nonsense posts.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

The Moderates conduct the shaded version of the Strikes Event. One Moderate Cell is placed in Helsinki.

The Senate conducts Terror as a Limited Command in Helsinki. The Senate pays 1 Resource. The Red Cell in Helsinki is removed. Helsinki already has 2 Terror markers, so no Terror is placed. Total number of Senate & Red Cells on the map is now 16.

The Reds conduct a Rally Command in Varsinai-Suomi, Häme, Tampere and Uusimaa. The Reds pay 4 Resources. 3 Red Cells are placed in Tampere. 2 Red Cells are placed in Häme and Uusimaa. 1 Red Cell is placed in Varsinais-Suomi. Varsinais-Suomi is now under Red Control. Total number of Senate & Red Cells on the map is now 24. The Reds conduct a Political Action Special Activity in Uusimaa, Häme and Tampere. The Reds gain 3 resources.

The Red strikes and protests in Helsinki after the failure of the Powers Act die down as the White Guards mop up remaining Red activists in the capital. In response, Red Guard numbers in western Finland grow massively. The country is now on the brink of civil war.

Game map:

Order of Play:

1. The Senate
2. Moderates

The Reds are not eligible this turn.

Current Event Card (#13):

Next Event Card (#14):

Game Summary:

Senate Resources: 1

Polarization: 4

Total number of Senate & Reds Cells on map: 24

The Senate will act first, followed by the Moderates.

Mighty Eris
Mar 24, 2005

Thanks for the heads up Reds. I'm hoping that the Senate remembers when I threw them a bone politically in the prop round, and that they can appreciate that increasing polarization only hurts us all.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Mighty Eris posted:

Thanks for the heads up Reds. I'm hoping that the Senate remembers when I threw them a bone politically in the prop round, and that they can appreciate that increasing polarization only hurts us all.

If you promise to not place the network in Vaasa, I promise to not take the card to terrorize Helsinki.

Mighty Eris
Mar 24, 2005

I can agree to those terms.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Senate - Command with special action - Political event in Viipuri, Karelia, and Pohjanmaa, Rally 3 cells in Viipuri, Karelia, Vaasa, and Pohjanmaa

Alea iacta est.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Oh poo poo, here we go.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

The Senate conducts the Political Event Special Activity in Viipuri, Karelia and Pohjanmaa. The Senate gains 3 Resources. The Senate conducts the Rally Command in Viipuri, Karelia, Vaasa and Pohjanmaa. The Senate pays 4 Resources. 3 Senate Cells are placed in each space. Vaasa is now under Senate Control. The Population in Senate controlled Towns is now 2. The total number of Senate & Red Cells on the map is now 36. The upcoming 'Trains' Event Card is discarded and replaced with the 'Red Revolt' Pivotal Event.

The Moderates' turn to act. Your choices are Event, Limited Command or Pass.

Mighty Eris
Mar 24, 2005

REALLY WANTED THAT STRIKE EVENT

Mighty Eris fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jan 12, 2022

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

You can still do the General Strike event!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
Yeah, we're still on the General Strike card, it's Trains that's going to get discarded. Red Revolt! is the next card.

Also, I'll be getting some sleep for a bit after typing this so when it's my turn to play Red Revolt! my action is Rally in Turku to place a cell. For capabilities place cannons in Tampere. I think that's it for my part of that card.

I was a little confused about placing prepared markers in this transition because the rules are a little hard to understand. I don't think we place them now (?). Follow up to that last sentence: After looking on BGG the author clarified and we do not place them now - they are not capabilities, but are just stored in the capability box when unused. Also, I made sure to ignore the numerous threads asking how to play the game competently.

edit: I'm just putting this up now so the other two can move past me on their turns.