Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

My flgs ran a farewell to wtr event on saturday, which was my first time drafting this game (or any other for that matter). I built Bravo but didn't know how to play the various matchups that well. I won two games, one against katsu and another against dori. Also lost two games, both against katsu. For whatever reason I couldn't figure out the matchup - but really enjoyed that I couldn't. I had to play super heavy defense and lost due to tempo against both katsu players. I think I needed to forget trying to make big turns and just attack with Anothos to put at least some discard pressure on katsu.

Had a lot of fun, met the group of 12 or so that play regularly, and walked out with a promo rhinar, promo dori, 2 boosters that contained nothing interesting, and a monarch playmat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Jcam posted:

We're likely going to see some very strong Viserai decks with the new tools Runeblade got, early testing in our group has really shown Viserai is able to sideboard more effectively into different match-ups, ramp up runechants faster, and be more aggressive with the midrange style as well.

Yeah, I'm going to have to practice and learn Vis to have more Runechant variety. I think Chane got enough good replacements and upgrades to be even better than he is now, although I'm still not sure if we know what losing Plunder Run really did. I really like Swarming Gloomveil and Revel in Runeblood, along with Bingo from the Generic pile.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'm looking forward to Everfest, and as a Prism player, I'll just say that Prism didn't really get much from the set (I don't think anything actually works with her mechanic in the set) but Illusionists as a whole got some good cards. I'm looking forward to playing around with 0-cost auras and selling Prism's Shields for silver.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

I played in Farewell to Rathe events this weekend, and did very well on Rhinar and Dorinthea. Bravo was always picked by some diehard control players in my scene, and similar with Katsu for aggro players, leaving me open to get passed things like a Steelblade Supremacy for my third pick. On Rhinar I got to grab tons of Primeval Bellows, and even a Bloodrush Bellow. Ended up 13-5 for the weekend across three events which I'm pretty happy with.

The new Auras for Prism look like amazing sideboard cards, and Fractal Replication is just nuts. Miraging Metamorph is basically everything you want vs. Guardian, Brute, or maybe even Dash.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead

Back Alley Borks posted:

I played in Farewell to Rathe events this weekend, and did very well on Rhinar and Dorinthea. Bravo was always picked by some diehard control players in my scene, and similar with Katsu for aggro players, leaving me open to get passed things like a Steelblade Supremacy for my third pick. On Rhinar I got to grab tons of Primeval Bellows, and even a Bloodrush Bellow. Ended up 13-5 for the weekend across three events which I'm pretty happy with.

I'm jealous, I'm only going to be able to hit up two of my local Farewell events.

Anyone here opening up some Everfest on Friday? I'll be opening some, a combination of gambling endorphins along with hoping to pad out my trade binder a bit to make the transition into ProQuests a little easier.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

Three days of draft was... a lot. If I had to do it again, I'd definitely do just two.

I'm opening a case of EVR. I can't seem to get any luck with loose packs (never opened more than an AoW), but boxes have been okay so far (3/6 L rate).

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

I snagged the last preorder at my lgs for ever so I'll be opening a box as well. No luck on boxes here though. 2 boxes of WTR, 1 box of ARC, 2 boxes of MON, and 1 CRU.

Not a single legendary pull.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I preordered some, but not sure how long shipping'll take. I was hoping for a C&C reprint in this set, I still don't really have a complete deck at this point and was holding off on the pricier staples to see the full spoiler, but they've gone up like another $20 already.

I did one draft event, didn't open anything exciting and went like 1-5 but got a cool CF Rhinar anyway. Round one, the guy swung for 16? dominate on t2 and I'd opted to soak a hammer hit turn one to get the most out of my hand. Apparently he went undefeated all weekend. I had two pretty close games vs Katsu, a game vs. another Katsu whose deck just didn't do much, and I had a couple pretty good early turns with big hits off reprise/reactions. I think we got paired cross pod in the first few games.

I did get an extra Tunic in the product we opened practicing, if anyone needs a CRU Tunic. I'd be up for some CC TTS games again now that draft is over, I also want to try out new Bravo once the set lands.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

Oof, yeah, CnC was $85 last week. That's a drat shame that it wasn't reprinted; it does worry me a little about the future of the game long-term. As I said I'm hoping for some precon product in Q2 that has a CnC/Estrike in it at around $30-$40 which will tank the prices on those cards. I suspect that it'll settle a little below what it is now, people who were waiting on EVR spoilers are now snap-buying cards for the decks they want to build.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Our store had to postpone their Farewell to Rathe event because of public health restrictions, so we missed out on being in the big draw. Ah well.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

I’ve opened one box of each set (except for monarch, where I whales on a case) and I’ve pulled two L and one F (Dynamo from Monarch, and korshem and Helm of seeds from Aria). The spoilers got me to pivot to warrior from earth briar, especially in blitz where the deck underperformed a lot.

It felt nice to draft WTR again, I got a cold foil dori. I played a middling katsu in the first draft, and didn’t do very well, but I had a good Rinar deck the second draft and did much better.

First Time Caller posted:

Seems fun, especially from a deckbuilding angle - but not sure why they're making Bravo "elemental". Is the everfest lore something about our heroes getting imbued with elemental power or some poo poo?

If you look at the border on bravo’s token from WTR you’ll see he has the from Aria border, and elemental is the talent for people from aria. Kind of like how Dorinthea has the border for being from whatever region Boltyn and Prism are from, so don’t be surprised if we see a light warrior Dorinthea at some point.

E: As for why specifically Bravo in this set, it fits in lore wise because Bravo is the Ringmaster of Everfest

numerrik fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Feb 1, 2022

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

I'm trying out Lightning Lexi with the new tools, and while Tri Shot and Rain Razors are nice cards, I don't think they get nearly as close to the power of the deck with just raw Ball Lightnings. You can get some crazy 3-4 arrow turns with the right setup, but it's rare and requires tech cards to get Go Again in the right places.

When compared to the power level of something like Viserai or Prism with all the new toys, I'm not sure if it's worth pursuing.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Ranger presents a unique balance issue in how they designed bows and arrows. Thematically it makes sense that you have to "load" and arrow, but it makes for an almost inherent baseline issue of card advantage. They tried to overcome that initially with Azalea and how Death Dealer works to effectively replace the card. In conjunction with that, they clearly thought that arrow effects and Azalea's dominate on a stick ability to warrant keeping baseline arrow attack numbers a little lower, and also that they should be stingy with go again. Azalea's problem was that she would dump her entire hand to put forth an attack you could call "pretty good," but that oftentimes could still be covered up with equipment and reacts pretty easily. You never saw the turn to swing momentum because her having to block became a downward spiral; You couldn't cobble together anything meaningful without that aforementioned full hand of gas. It's why with Lexi people gravitated towards the gimmicky lightning Snap Shot build almost immediately. It theoretically solved the card disadvantage/go again issue and let her belt out big strings of inefficient to block attacks. I'd love to see them figure out ranger's power level, and will probably cobble together an updated Azalea blitz deck at the very least with Everfest.

I think what I'd ultimately like to see is them leaning into the toolbox concept of ranger people were hoping for with Aria before Lexi was revealed. Go with slightly more powerful and useful arrow effects that trip up opponent's turns, make some better traps, and give them just a touch more capacity for reasonable card draw and perpetuation of their turns and I think it would work out. The classic D&D high fantasy ranger is easily my favorite type of class, so I hope they can either salvage Azalea, or give her a retrain or something. Maybe the dude on Read the Glide Path is a future cool ranger.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Ranger is by far the most flavorful class in the game, IMO, but I think is a lot more finicky to play and requires arsenal discipline from everything I've seen and read. Ranger (or at least Lexi) can consistently get above breakpoints which is helpful for creating card inefficiencies on the opponents end, while disrupting their resources and potentially their hand. Three of a Kind turns are kind of the real draw for Ranger, I think, to get in for a bunch of damage going wide, but at the same time Chane sort of gets to do this inherently with the banish zone as well, albeit with the reduced rate of the blood debt cards.

Lexi is definitely one of the heroes that interests me the most on play style and card availability, so I hope she remains viable into the new meta. I know people say she just can't beat Guardians, but I've been reading strategies from players that make it sound manageable with discipline.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

Stuff's really taking off with all the CC testing now. It feels like Prism really is just that ridiculous, with those 0-cost auras enabling a lot of new lines and the new attacks basically being an even bigger problem towards anyone who even considers breaking a Phantasm. "Take 7 or give me a copy of my Genesis" is not a fun tradeoff to make.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

Everfest is out! Anyone get any good pulls?

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

I bought two boxes and pulled: Arcane Lantern CF, Bravo Star of the Show, Imposing Visage, Dissolution Sphere, Firebreathing, Fractal Replication foil, Vexing Quillhand, 2x Pulverize foil, 2x scour foil, Iyslander, Oath of Steel, Crown of Reflection, Bingo, Runic Reclamation, Ready to Roll, Dreadbone foil, Nerves of Steel foil, 2x Microprocessor

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

Arcane Lantern CF is great! Bingo is also looking to be one of the best Ms of the set, I haven't gotten any but will probably pick up 3 at some point.

I got 6 boxes (two loose), 5 for me and 1 for a friend. My case had a Stalagmite and the loose box I gave to my friend also had a Stalagmite. And then another case a local grabbed from the same store that morning had a Stalagmite. We're drowning in shields!

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

The snow storm shut down everything locally for a few days, hopefully my boxes are in at the lgs. I’m disappointed the helm ended up bad, but all this 1h support and goodness for kassai makes up for it, imo.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I didn't pull any Ls or the gem from my case, but I did get a cold foil crown and the extended art Guardian armor, so I shouldn't complain too much. Now I just need to see about picking up the Ms that I need for my dumb deck ideas.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I’m out of town for work until Friday but my wife said my two boxes arrived today and it’s killing me waiting to open them lol

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Mine showed up yesterday after all, not much of note in it though. CF Earthlore, CF Arcane Lantern. Very much not worth the cost overall. No legendaries, no extended arts, I think those were the only CFs offhand.

I've been messing around with new Bravo a little bit on TTS, but I'm mostly waiting for someone better than me to come up with a decent list. Tried to piece together a starting point based around the Earthlore, some of the hands felt a little awkward so far. There are also so many different lines of play available between Crown, various card draw effects/surge tokens, plus tutoring with things like Show Time, Awakening & Imposing Visage it's hard to evaluate a given hand/turn as a new player. Reps~

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I hadn't been super actively looking at spoilers, but now that I've been able to open physical product and look over all the cards I like it more than I thought I would. The mish mash of every hero type getting something seems to have been pretty well thought out. Every slice of cards looks to have a fairly significant percentage of meaningfully playable stuff, and moreover stuff that can kind of tweak playstyles and deck archetypes within specific heroes which is where they needed to go with it for sure.

I have Kassai and Rhinar built for biltz. Kassai got some pretty low key but amazing tools for producing just a crazy amount of consistency on her turns, and the cards like High Roller, Bad Beats, and Wild Ride slot in very nicely to Rhinar. I think for my main CC deck of Oldhim the Heave cards of Thunder Quake and Pulverize are gonna be pretty incredible. They fit well with Oldhim's tempo of a few turns of Winter's Wail swings followed by a huge haymaker, and make cards like Awakening or even some of the other seismic surge producing stuff more appealing. Telegraphing the hit by putting it face up in arsenal is a real "whatever" downside compared to the insane whacks you could theoretically turn out once in a while.

Like I mentioned before I'm even excited to go back to Azalea too. I think there's something there with Tri Shot and Even Bigger Than That combined with her existing suite of Death Dealer, Three of a Kind, and free pumps/free good value arrows plus other generic good value go again like Rabble and E Strike. In the past I always had more luck with her going wide with mid-weight attacks rather than going super tall. She's still not gonna have the endurance for CC, but I'm convinced there's a build to be figured out that lets her do work in blitz.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

I like EVR's Blitz support but the CC support is much more variable. Rhinar doesn't want a bunch of dice rolls in a CC deck, but I'll totally meme with Kayo all day. Dorinthea's new cards are great but she's not *quite* there. Meanwhile Viserai got some absolutely nutty cards, there's a lot of hands now where he can come in for an easy 16 with four cards, and God help you if he gets a Revel in Runeblood into a Skeleta -> Sonata.

I had a big brain moment last night after a friend of mine said someone was having success in Lightning Lexi, and that they weren't using any new cards except Fatigue Shot. I figured out what they were doing from that and ended up making a list that is pretty consistently aggressive and doesn't run a lot of the usual Lightning Lexi suspects (Light It Up didn't make the cut, for example).

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Back Alley Borks posted:

I had a big brain moment last night after a friend of mine said someone was having success in Lightning Lexi, and that they weren't using any new cards except Fatigue Shot. I figured out what they were doing from that and ended up making a list that is pretty consistently aggressive and doesn't run a lot of the usual Lightning Lexi suspects (Light It Up didn't make the cut, for example).

I'm the seagulls from Finding Nemo but instead of saying "mine" I am saying "list"

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

The first Battle Hardened is happening in the US now, and apparently five of the top 8 are Bravostar. The other three are Chane and Briar, which blows my mind. The fact that Chane would perform better than Viserai with the new cards seems insane to me.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
So my friend and I have picked up this game and played a few rounds with the starter decks from the first set. I THINK we're playing it correctly. I think combat is where we're not quite sure about the flow of things.

My understanding is that I choose an attack, my opponent can then defend against that attack, and then either of us are able to play attack reactions or defense reactions. What's confusing me is where exactly the chain closes. Does it close if someone uses a reaction? Or does something have to specifically close the chain like a Phantasm attack being destroyed? If I have an action point, and I do another attack, does that attack see the previous ones?

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

The Combat Chain is the most complex part of FaB, yeah. The Combat Chain is composed of individual "chain links", each of which consist of the attack -> block -> reaction steps you outlined. Playing subsequent attacks keeps the chain "open", adding another chain link to the Combat Chain. The chain is closed either explicitly by an effect (e.g. Phantasm, as you pointed out), voluntarily after an attack (i.e. you could close, then open an entirely new combat chain), or if you perform any action other than an attack (as of the new rules, technically you must close the chain before you can perform any non-attack action).

Some attacks do care about what the previous chain link is, primarily Ninja attack cards with the Combo keyword. Otherwise previous chain links don't usually do much, though blocking equipment cannot be used to block a new attack unless the chain is closed (i.e. blocking equipment stays on an active chain, so it can't be reused on the same chain).

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Back Alley Borks posted:

The first Battle Hardened is happening in the US now, and apparently five of the top 8 are Bravostar. The other three are Chane and Briar, which blows my mind. The fact that Chane would perform better than Viserai with the new cards seems insane to me.

Chane rules.

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

Back Alley Borks posted:

or if you perform any action other than an attack (as of the new rules, technically you must close the chain before you can perform any non-attack action).

Thought I'd add to this that Instants played in the Reaction step do not close the combat chain.

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

I have this weird thing where I constantly try to do more with a hand than is really possible. It's like I feel compelled to keep every 4 card hand in order to use all 4 cards. If I don't use all the cards on my turn I have failed. I only arsenal a card if I can't use all 4 cards. I play Rhinar and Boltyn mostly. How do I kick this really bad habit? I *know* as Rhinar I should probably block with 1, pitch 1 to play 1, and arsenal the last, and be happy with that 6 or 9 attack with 1 intimidate making them discard a card they probably dont want to... but then the little guy on my shoulder is like "but what if you take the 6 damage they are sending your way so that you can use all four cards in your hand and pop a piece of equipment for a whopping 7 or 10 damage instead"

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

First Time Caller posted:

I have this weird thing where I constantly try to do more with a hand than is really possible. It's like I feel compelled to keep every 4 card hand in order to use all 4 cards. If I don't use all the cards on my turn I have failed. I only arsenal a card if I can't use all 4 cards. I play Rhinar and Boltyn mostly. How do I kick this really bad habit? I *know* as Rhinar I should probably block with 1, pitch 1 to play 1, and arsenal the last, and be happy with that 6 or 9 attack with 1 intimidate making them discard a card they probably dont want to... but then the little guy on my shoulder is like "but what if you take the 6 damage they are sending your way so that you can use all four cards in your hand and pop a piece of equipment for a whopping 7 or 10 damage instead"
Different decks run differently in terms of turn cycles. It might be a good play to intentionally block/double/triple-block, make a small tempo play, and then set up your arsenal, to make a 4-card or 5-card offensive play the following turn, instead of trying to balance attack and defense in the immediate term.

Especially with Rhinar where you can easily have a strong weapon attack by just pitching 1, it's not as big a deal to block 2, pitch 1 to attack, and then arsenal 1.

The mindset I'd consider is that you should proactively rate your hand and "race rate" versus your opponent. If you're gonna eat a naked 7 damage hit, but you can do 10+ with your 4-card hand, it's probably worth it to race. If you need setup, or need a better hand to get in an optimal attack, block and regroup.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

Rhinar is an interesting case because he's a midrange deck where your goal is to block damage, swing with your weapon off a 1-2 card hand, and then set up a 3+ Intimidate turn or have some sort of combo. So there are turns where you want all four cards, and turns where you're very happy with just one.

Boltyn is similar, but in a different way. Radyn plus Take Flight allows using Tunic and two cards to come in for 6-7, and once you have charged soul or some Luminas lying around you just take whatever your opponent throws at you and come back in for 22+.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Yeah, I also recognize myself mentally trying to maximize my 4 card hand, rather than evaluating it in terms of what my opponent's doing. I've mostly played Lexi at this point though. Any of y'all doing PQs? Someone cancelled so I got a slot this weekend after all, but I still don't feel remotely prepared for it. I just opened/bought/traded into most of new Bravo, but I think switching decks at this point would be an even worse idea.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'm playing jn my local PQ on Sunday, asking around, it sounds like there's going to be 3-4 Prisms, so... Fractal is going to be pulling some weight I think. I'm not expecting to win or even make the top 8, but if I do somehow squeeze in, then I can at least hope for the Cold Foil Prism.

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

Thanks for the tips, I'll work on the mental gymnastics of actively rating my hand in terms of damage output against damage taken and see where that takes me. When is it appropriate to run claws rhinar and what advice would you have there on turn cycle?

quote:

I'm playing jn my local PQ on Sunday, asking around, it sounds like there's going to be 3-4 Prisms,
I'm shocked at the fab group at my lgs, i dont think we have any prism players actually

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Opened a case of EVR (I have a sweet deal with a local seller who gets me cases dirt dirt cheap, almost at-cost)

Premium pulls were:

FA Winds of Eternity
2 FA Runeblood incantations
2 FA Hundred Winds
2(!) CF Mask of the pouncing Lynx
CF Arcane Lantern
3 chaff CF rares

No legendary, but the FA Winds kind of floats around as being more valuable. I was hoping for a Skullcap, but my no-skullcap life must continue.

My Majestic pulls were super janky for the classes I play. One Runeblade, and no Illusionist. I really need some swarmings and another revel, but I might wait till Unlimited to open more. Also failed to hit a Quillhand, soooo....

How are people feeling about the death of first editions? I'm kinda gonna miss the hype, but at the same time, the gouging that's happened in some places has been gross and bad for the game's early days.

Xaerael fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 17, 2022

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

I’m happy they changed up first and unlimited editions. And Ls are more common!

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

i had no interest in t his game but i like opening booster packs so im happy the market was tanking and i got 2 booster boxes to open of unlimited welcome to rathe. out for delivery now and i hope i have fun opening them and maybe even learn to play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

numerrik posted:

I’m happy they changed up first and unlimited editions. And Ls are more common!

Double L cases are going to be a lot more common going forward, which is only a good thing IMO. It's also going to reduce the number of zero L cases, which from personal experience are the worst feeling you can get opening FaB product.