Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011
My LGS is doing the HP1 blitz precons for skirmish s7.

Hopefully they have enough Bravos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Are there no Blitz precons for DTD? Those are my favorite thing they put out

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
I think they didn't include them because it's a supplemental/non-draftable set. But you can still track down the Boltyn and Levia precon decks somewhere I bet!

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I have those already, I was just hoping for a new Prism precon. I have been trying to get my Magic friends to play this with me but they whine about it being too expensive or hard to get in to do the precons are usually as far as I can get with them

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011

Heath posted:

I have those already, I was just hoping for a new Prism precon. I have been trying to get my Magic friends to play this with me but they whine about it being too expensive or hard to get in to do the precons are usually as far as I can get with them

I put together a $40 iyslander CC deck complete with sideboard for somebody a couple months ago. For the price of a single revised edition dual land (these are still $300-400 right?) you could have a zero compromise competitive Bravo or Dash deck.

That said, the new history pack 1 precons are pretty well balanced against each other if youre just looking to pick up a few for kitchen table business. The only one that really sucks is Kano because the equipment is bad. You could grab the HP1 Bravo, Viserai, Dorinthea, Dash and have a full 4 player UPF quasi-commander thing going on.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
If anyone of you are in Canada I'd love to toss a bunch of cards (commons, rares, majestics) in a mailer and send them to you to help out if you have a general idea of what you'd want.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
are there any recommendations or guides for moving from knowing how the mechanics work to actually playing the game at a reasonable level? i've played a handful of starter deck games and grasp the basics but my eyes just completely gloss over right now when i look at deck lists or mess around with constructing something. what i'd really like is like, a handful of "intermediate" deck lists with explanations on the general flow and intended goals of them, but given FaB isn't massively popular it can be hard to find stuff like that.

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011
The gauntlet series on the main FAB TCG youtube channel is usually pretty good. They have deck tech videos with brief explanations of the key cards for two heroes and then a demo game.

Like this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fQrKg7roTI

If you'd rather read than watch youtube, the fabrary.net public deck search lets you specify decks with associated notes which are usually deck primers.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I don't follow Flesh and Blood, but I'm seeing a lot of Hobby Drama about something at Nationals and Pummels.

Sorry to butt into your thread, but can someone please explain to me what all the hullaballoo is about if I don't play FAB but do play enough other TCGs to me that you don't have to explain what a trigger is?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I am highly excited for this ultimate pit fight set that's coming out so I can finally get my commander friends to maybe try this game

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

CitizenKeen posted:

I don't follow Flesh and Blood, but I'm seeing a lot of Hobby Drama about something at Nationals and Pummels.

Sorry to butt into your thread, but can someone please explain to me what all the hullaballoo is about if I don't play FAB but do play enough other TCGs to me that you don't have to explain what a trigger is?

Can't find anything on this topic, where are you seeing discussion about this drama?

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
i don't know what the drama is but this game is really great and i am glad to see any posts in this thread

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead

CitizenKeen posted:

Here's the super quick and dirty version:

Player 1 attacked, and played an additional card called a reaction (Pummel) that causes their opponent to discard a card from hand if the modified attack hits.
Player 2 is hit by the attack.
Player 1 (either forgets, in good faith, or because they didn't believe they needed to) does not prompt Player 2 to resolve the on-hit discard effect created by Pummel.
Player 2 adjusts life totals, "forgets" to discard the card since they were not verbally prompted and an opponent's trigger is not their responsibility.
Player 1 ends their turn after the attack.
Sometime in the next turn or so the missed trigger/effect was noticed and then welp.

Not the greatest description but it's generally accurate.

The big hubbub is yet another long-winded discussion about player responsibilities in a professional-level event, Player 2 admitting publicly they angle shot in hopes the opponent would forget the trigger, content creators trying to stir the pot, should maintaining complicated board states and policing your opponent be part of the skill check of higher level events, etc.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
My friends are interested in this, and want to play Blitz and Pit Fight. They're mostly Commander players. I decided I need a Cat deck, and it looks like there's a build-around in Crouching Tiger. How is that deck in both formats? I assume Katsu is the hero I want for it?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I don't think there's much of a meta for UPF yet to say how anything works. I'd say buy some of the Blitz precons and hand them out and then upgrade from there.

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011

LifeLynx posted:

My friends are interested in this, and want to play Blitz and Pit Fight. They're mostly Commander players. I decided I need a Cat deck, and it looks like there's a build-around in Crouching Tiger. How is that deck in both formats? I assume Katsu is the hero I want for it?

Or Benji. https://fabrary.net/cards/benji-the-piercing-wind

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011

LifeLynx posted:

It looks like the Ira deck in the professor party box is a crouching tiger build.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ekqqy9eCobE

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I traded some Magic stuff for four Monarch Blitz decks: Levia, Chane, Prism, and Boltyn. Time to learn to play! Any easily missed rules I should know about?

Edit: drat, Prism vs. Levia. Why print two precons in the same set where one precon completely shuts down the other?

LifeLynx fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Sep 29, 2023

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011
Bright Lights pre-release had me do a 180 on this set. I wasn't interested at all, but Teklovossen's infinite fridge speaks to me as a control fan. Being able to just replace your armor as it gets beaten up from blocking is very neat.

LifeLynx posted:

Edit: drat, Prism vs. Levia. Why print two precons in the same set where one precon completely shuts down the other?

The Prism deck should actually dumpster the Levia deck. Block with your heralds and get some auras out while she kills herself with blood debt.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Me and two other friends today played the first time, and decided to play multiplayer. We're experienced Magic players. One guy had opened and looked at some cards before, another had never seen a card, and I had goldfished a few times and read up a bit. And surprisingly, it went smooth. Games are very quick, and we decided this will be our Commander-style game when we're tired of or don't have time for Commander.

I have some nitpicks with the card design. Most of all I think "Go again" is real dumb-sounding and there should be an icon like an hourglass or something to represent action points.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
It's crazy, the average price I see for competitive Blitz decks is $12... and then another $160 in equipment cards. Should be real easy to proxy equipment cards among friends.

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011
If you're looking for blitz and proxying the equipment anyway, Kassai is probably the most consistent.

jasoneatspizza
Jul 6, 2010
Thinking about picking this up. Got a couple of those blitz starter decks. Anyone have any tips for the Azalea blitz deck? I've been learning the game against AI opponents on felt table, and so far managed just one win. It feels like other heroes have all these reaction cards, and I always fall behind when I play too many defense cards. But then I play too few and eat 9 damage in a turn.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

jasoneatspizza posted:

Thinking about picking this up. Got a couple of those blitz starter decks. Anyone have any tips for the Azalea blitz deck? I've been learning the game against AI opponents on felt table, and so far managed just one win. It feels like other heroes have all these reaction cards, and I always fall behind when I play too many defense cards. But then I play too few and eat 9 damage in a turn.

I've played Azalea as my "main" since I started and she's always had a rough time overall but her toolkit is pretty good these days. I've definitely had the most luck with a go tall strategy. As far as really tuned decks Azalea can pretty consistently deliberately set up a dominate shot via her ability, along with one to two pumps or some kind of go again supplemental attack. Looking at the precon contents it has the gist of it a little bit.

As far as arrows: Spire Sniping helps with that setup of putting a more effective arrow on top to then immediately cycle into the arsenal with dominate, and an older card that's very similar and also useful in a pinch to actually shoot is Ridge Rider Shot since it's free. Infecting Shot is one of the nicest things to see on the top of the deck. Her specialty of Red in the Ledger is great against most heroes. Endless Arrow is pretty cheap too and good, basic and flexible. Remorseless is good but probably not an always mainboard arrow. The other two I like and mainboard are Heat Seeker and Barbed Undertow. I've messed with Bolt n Shot and Amplifying Arrow, and they're usually in and out/flex slots, but the former is probably better.

Buff wise, Premeditate is great. The precon has blue Toxicity but I like red because it's real brutal with actual pump spells that increase attack value. They tend to average out good shots at between 8 to 11 damage, and a lot of times that can literally be impossible to completely cover up unless you've got the perfect spread of defense reacts, equipment, and other abilities. Red Lace with Bloodrot and red Read the Glide Path are both good; blootrot tokens are huge buffs to ranger damage output, and Glide Path helps with that topdeck fixing. Take Aim is an original, good clean pump too. Most rangers also use Dead Eye which is more resource intensive but gives a really powerful outlet for aim tokens on your arsenal arrows if you do have those resources to spare. Nock the Deathwhistle is her signature setup card and gets you exactly what you want when you want it. Codex of Frailty is sort of a pump, but more of just a very strong utility card that automatically gives your opponent a little debuff for the turn but more importantly a free ponder token. If it wasn't already evident ponder is super important for rangers because it triggers prior to putting a card in arsenal, meaning your can expend your entire hand, draw your ponder card, arsenal it, and then draw your normal four. Four in hand plus always having an arsenaled fifth is necessary to make your resources jive with what you want to do.

For generics the red Ravenous Rabble is always a fantastic opener to let you know if you can safely fire off Azalea's ability. Give and Take gives you good potential setup by making your opponent not want to block it. Enlightened Strike is just good, high value.

Equipment wise I think her best bow remains the original Death Dealer. Easiest upgrade is a pair of Snapdragon Scalers for shoes. Her best chest is probably still Spring Tunic. She also likes her original hat of Skullbone Crosswrap to just make her top card even more consistent/in your control.

Azalea is a real circuitous aggro deck that wants to bash damage through with big pumped hits that do minor to major debuffs, or inflict extra damage via bloodrot or supplemental damage with generic attacks or a second arrow shot facilitated by something like Snapdragons. The combo of those things is usually enough to strip one to two cards out of hand and hamstring their actual actions in the coming turn to where they never really crack back hard enough to make you care.

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011

jasoneatspizza posted:

Also an Azalea-enjoyer here, so assuming you mean this deck https://fabtcg.com/decklists/azalea-outsiders-pre-constructed-blitz-deck/

Basically everything in here is a worse version of what you'd normally use, except for the red Infecting Shots and the blue Spire Snipings.

A typical turn for the precon is going to be: try to peek at the top of your deck with Ravenous Rabble or Scout The Periphery to see if you can activate Azalea, play a buff (or two), pitch a yellow or blue to load one of the 1-cost arrows, then use the floating resource to fire the arrow. Use a 0-cost arrow instead if you cant afford the resources to buff/load/fire a 1-cost. Any extra arrows you can use to block. You can only load 1 arrow per turn with that deck, so the 'go again' on Falcon Wing isn't super helpful. They're there to take the place of a 0 cost arrow that you would actually use, like Drill Shot.

You can basically ignore aim counters since a real Azalea deck would be using Death Dealer, and it's nearly always going to be a better value to buff the arrow with another pump instead of activating crow's nest.

I don't like Toxicity because it encourages people to block but doesn't actually make it harder for them to block, and it only blocks 2 defensively. I'd just use it for pitch.

For a budget Azalea ($40 @ tcgplayer) I'd probably do this: https://fabrary.net/decks/01HCBRSP93XN6J1NCVD5PC1X5V
The infinite money version looks similar: https://fabrary.net/decks/01HCBSBAJ6Z31V2CVJC3A1NP1M

High power Azalea revolves around shooting Red In The Ledger as often as possible. Tutor it with nock the deathwhistle if necessary, then recycle it with codex of frailty or memorial ground to fire again.

i poop fire fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Oct 10, 2023

jasoneatspizza
Jul 6, 2010
Thanks for the tips, guys! I don't have access to many of the good cards mentioned yet, but I did have a pile of Arcane Rising cards that I used to make a few changes. I did also have a Death Dealer that I switched in. Not sure what the point of the precon bow is when Death Dealer seems so much better.

Planning to go to a Blitz event at the local game store tomorrow. Current, slightly modified precon deck I'll be using:

https://fabdb.net/decks/XVqdZgOp

Also, should Azalea try to get a shot off with dominate if you go first? Or is it still better to just load something into the arsenal?

Edit#2: Murkmire Grapnel, am I misunderstanding this card? Is preventing damage something specific? Still seems like the opponent (on felttable) can block it normally.

jasoneatspizza fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Oct 11, 2023

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Azalea definitely likes the sucker punch of a turn one buffed up dominate shot so yeah in general if you can get it set up, even if it's not a crazy huge shot it's still just an awkward thing for the opponent to deal with. If you have to overextend a whole lot and use your entire hand without any ability to arsenal a card with the shot still not being all that impressive then that's an instance where you may just want to hold back.

"Damage can't be prevented" specifically refers to any abilities that use that same wording to do exactly that; Something like Oldhim's hero ability or a card like Oasis Respite versus regular old blocking or use of equipment to block.

jasoneatspizza
Jul 6, 2010
Think I'll replace the Murkmires with Ridge Rider Shots then, since those at least let me do something with the top card of the deck.

I think most of my losses on felttable so far are just from me accidentally clicking pass!

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011

jasoneatspizza posted:

Planning to go to a Blitz event at the local game store tomorrow. Current, slightly modified precon deck I'll be using:

https://fabdb.net/decks/XVqdZgOp

This list seems really light on buffs, if you have access to more pumps you might want to cut some arrows and add another way to boost your shots. Since you only get to fire one per turn, it's pretty important that it's a tall one. Just for reference, I run 10 buffs and 14 arrows in my blitz list. If you have any Take Cover (Red) or Fate Foreseen (Red) from that ARC pile you found, those would be good additions.

You should shoot an arrow first turn if you're reasonably sure you can get them to leak damage or have a really disruptive on-hit effect, like frailty into fai/lexi/kassai/pistol dash. If you dont think you can get them to equipment block or leak some damage, it's probably not worth it. That's something that you'll need to feel out based on how people play in your local meta, though.

jasoneatspizza
Jul 6, 2010
Went 0-3, but I got a free Bright Lights playmat and a promo card! I'll probably look into building some of the decks mentioned above. Definitely seemed like my deck was just way too weak to even get to the point of strategizing.

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011
My LGS is going to host a ProQuest in 3 weeks and a bunch of Dromai assholes will surely be there. Maybe I should just play Bravo.

jasoneatspizza
Jul 6, 2010
I was considering going to a draft event in a couple weeks. I'm assuming it'll be Bright Lights. Any tips on drafting for this? Is there anywhere I can easily look at every card from the set?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

jasoneatspizza posted:

I was considering going to a draft event in a couple weeks. I'm assuming it'll be Bright Lights. Any tips on drafting for this? Is there anywhere I can easily look at every card from the set?

https://fabrary.net/bright-lights

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Anyone interested in buying a collection, or at least a bunch of good cards? I have a basically complete Lexi deck before the last set or so, some other Ls, etc. DM me if interested.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

ShaneB posted:

Anyone interested in buying a collection, or at least a bunch of good cards? I have a basically complete Lexi deck before the last set or so, some other Ls, etc. DM me if interested.

I was thinking about posting to ask if anyone had any dirt cheap stuff I could grab. I actually have a Lexi blitz precon coming in the mail today, but I haven't played her yet. I also want to build a Crouching Tiger deck, but some of the cards I need might only be printed in the Round the Table box set so I doubt anyone has those cards individually. My friends are playing casually and money's real tight right now, so I can't really spend much... I do have some Magic stuff if you or anyone is looking to trade.

Mask of the Three Tails
Pouncing Paws
Blood Scent
Bittering Thorns RR YY
Flex Claws Y
Flying Kick RR BB
Growl RR YY
Leg Tap RR YY
Mauling Qi RR
Salt the Wound YY
Tiger Eye Reflex YY BB

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011
People are selling the Round the Table decks individually on tcgplayer. There's not a lot of value there, since the whole set of 4 with the playmat is $60-$70, but if you only needed Ira it's $22.

jasoneatspizza
Jul 6, 2010
Okay I got some new cards. Azalea blitz deck looks like this now:

https://fabdb.net/decks/BJXjbxJY

Mostly the same as the one posted above; but I couldn't get ahold of every card right now, so I had to make a few substitutions. Blitz event is a couple weeks away, so won't get to try it out in person until then.

Also everyone at the LGS had those neat round metal resource tokens, so I ordered a couple of those as well!

jasoneatspizza
Jul 6, 2010
Any tips for the deck posted? I've been using it on Talishar and was mostly getting my rear end kicked. Won one out of about a dozen matches. Are there any glaring weaknesses in the deck, or is it just learning the game? A lot of matches feel like I go tall, then they block everything, then they hit me for a million damage each turn and I never have a chance to go tall again.

I'm missing some key cards like Command and Conquer, so not sure what substitutions I can make if the deck is bad. I also don't have Codex of Frailty right now, just the rot version.

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011
Blitz is basically Yu-Gi-Oh, the games are over in 3 turns. I try to avoid playing Azalea in blitz because she's midrange and the whole meta is redline aggro unga bunga poo poo.

That said, Codex of Bloodrot is probably better in blitz than Codex of Frailty since you want that incidental damage. I think I'd replace Ridge Rider Shot with Searing Shot, and Scout the Periphery with Release the Tension (or lace with frailty if you dont have RtT).

You also want 2 more yellows. Dead Eye is the obvious choice but if you don't have access to that, then 2 yellow Read the Glide path would work for now.

On turn 0 you shouldn't go tall unless you can dominate it. Outside of turn 0 it's ok to threaten 9-12 damage without dominate and force them to give up some cards.

Your kill turn will probably be a gigantic dominated arrow, or some rain raisins business with bolt'n'shot+another arrow. Also keep in mind that you can e.strike with the draw a card mode and pop your boots to give it 'go again', if you can activate Death Dealer as well then you've cycled 2 extra cards that turn. Don't forget you can blow up the Bullseye Bracers for free 'go again' on a bolt'n'shot if necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011
I'm trying to grind more Azalea reps for my local Pro Quest next weekend. Is anybody doing CC testing on talishar?