Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead

i poop fire posted:

I'm trying to grind more Azalea reps for my local Pro Quest next weekend. Is anybody doing CC testing on talishar?

I've been jamming a bunch of Talishar games with a bunch of my locals and with randoms too. I'm definitely down to play some games at some point, I'll DM you my Discord info and we can try to set something up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Someone sold me two giant four-row boxes of FAB today for real cheap, and I spent the afternoon sorting through it. Completely overwhelmed, but I think I got a combo Katsu deck and a pre-Bright Lights Dash deck out of it so far. It's all from Arcane Rising, Crucible of War, Monarch, Tales of Aria, Everfest, and History Pack 1. I found some nice stuff in there like a cold foil Aether Ironweave, which I'm going to trade for staples from newer sets.

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011

LifeLynx posted:

Someone sold me two giant four-row boxes of FAB today for real cheap, and I spent the afternoon sorting through it. Completely overwhelmed, but I think I got a combo Katsu deck and a pre-Bright Lights Dash deck out of it so far. It's all from Arcane Rising, Crucible of War, Monarch, Tales of Aria, Everfest, and History Pack 1. I found some nice stuff in there like a cold foil Aether Ironweave, which I'm going to trade for staples from newer sets.

That sounds like a nice haul. You could probably throw together a reasonable Dash deck between the ARC and HP1 piles if you felt like it. Likely a Chane or Prism blitz deck, too.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

i poop fire posted:

That sounds like a nice haul. You could probably throw together a reasonable Dash deck between the ARC and HP1 piles if you felt like it. Likely a Chane or Prism blitz deck, too.

Yeah I threw together a Dash deck. I'm mostly missing red and blue T-Bones, one Teklo Core, one Spark of Genius, and cards from Bright Lights.

Chane was my favorite of the precons I played, so I might fix that one up with the cards in the collection. And take out the banned ones, even though they're not banned in UPF. I hated Prism.

If you want to see what I have for sale/trade from the collection, it's in an SA-Mart thread here https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3989356

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011
I ended up taking 3rd at the Pro Quest with Azalea. There was a reasonable spread of heroes at the event. I played against a Viserai in round 1, which is a hero I hadnt seen anywhere in months.

Tarpit Trap saved me from getting my hero text wiped out by Dishonor, so I'll definitely be keeping that in the list.

Picked up a cold foil Maxx from the top 8 prize pool.

This is Lexi's last weekend in CC, but I think Dash I/O is going to take her place pretty quickly once more people start remembering that High Octane + Tome of Fyendal is basically Three of a Kind.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

i poop fire posted:

I ended up taking 3rd at the Pro Quest with Azalea. There was a reasonable spread of heroes at the event. I played against a Viserai in round 1, which is a hero I hadnt seen anywhere in months.

Tarpit Trap saved me from getting my hero text wiped out by Dishonor, so I'll definitely be keeping that in the list.

This is Lexi's last weekend in CC, but I think Dash I/O is going to take her place pretty quickly once more people start remembering that High Octane + Tome of Fyendal is basically Three of a Kind.

Hell yeah, good job. How many players? I still haven't played CC yet. Blitz is fun but I see how it shuts out a lot of slower strategies. I'm considering building a budget CC deck and bringing it to a local event about 25 minutes from me.

From what I was reading, people think Ninjas are going to be the best archetype in a post-Lexi format.

I sorted through all that bulk, kept three of each card, and now I have roughly 2400 commons and rares to give away to my friends.

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011
It was a smaller event, something like 23 players?

For budget CC I think Bravo is probably still the cheapest thing to build. Tectonic Plating is like $30, Crater Fist is $10? If you skip the Command & Conquers and pick up a DTD Crown of Providence youre talking like $140 if you had to buy everything.

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011
Lexi is officially LL, and James White said they're going to start doing LL checks every Monday with bans effective that Friday.

https://fabtcg.com/articles/ll-update-nov23/

Dromai is probably next.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
I lost my win-and-in for Top 8 at the one PQ (37 players) I was able to attend. Lots of fun though, first season in a while I was able to play instead of having to judge multiple events so I'm really happy. I'm hoping I've bugged enough people in the local area to get judge-certified that now I don't have to feel obligated to do it.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
no more dromai will be a fun meta shift. as an azalea player im not a big fan of having to run phantasm poppers when every other card in my deck synergizes really good

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

As a Boltyn main, :same:

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Magic learned the "legendaries should be one per deck!" rule is a terrible design decision long ago. It only sounds good from a flavor perspective, but the designers need to only think about it for more than a few seconds to see it's a bad idea for gameplay. I have issues with the card designs and templating, but that's the only rule I think is an obvious mistake. Glad to see one of those cards banned.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
My one big gripe with this game as a total amateur and not very frequent player is that I hate the phrasing "Go again" rather than... Anything else. "Add/gain 1 action point" feels like it would be way more appropriate and easy to understand even though I believe adding an action point is cumulative while multiple instances of Go Again are not. But this is the biggest stumbling block I have faced in my vain attempts to get people to learn this game.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Heath posted:

My one big gripe with this game as a total amateur and not very frequent player is that I hate the phrasing "Go again" rather than... Anything else. "Add/gain 1 action point" feels like it would be way more appropriate and easy to understand even though I believe adding an action point is cumulative while multiple instances of Go Again are not. But this is the biggest stumbling block I have faced in my vain attempts to get people to learn this game.

Yes! Literally anything other than "Go again". And you're right, there are cards which give action points, which makes it more confusing.

UX/UX gripes:

Make the energy cost larger and white. It doesn't stand out against the red.

Attack icon should be swapped with the value. The value is the most important information, not the icon. Remove the icon and circle on cards that don't have it.

Card types should probably be separated from the hero class somehow so you don't have "Elemental Ranger Action - Attack" squished into a tiny box. I do appreciate the different border treatments, they even work well when combining traits.

Template the wording better to not shrink text size smaller than Yu-Gi-Oh. People over 30 want to play this game, too.

Make some indication that defense reactions need their cost paid to block with, unlike any other card type. (Except block cards but those are new and I think rare.) I know it's a different phase, it's still unclear in a game where they're very good about using reminder text. Much better than Magic, I have to say, where they've lost touch with the average player to where you have to be very rules-savvy to parse what some new cards do.

Have an indicator for rainbow vs. cold foil. It can't be hard.

i poop fire posted:

Do you have your list? I do love rangers in every game....

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Also distinguish an "Attack Action" from an "Attack." Every single time I play this game I have to explain that even though a weapon says "Once per turn action - Attack" that is not, in fact, an attack action, even though it is an action, in which you attack.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

They do though? Weapon attacks come from a weapon card, not an “attack action card” which is how they template things that care about that.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Yes but things that affect an "attack action" do not affect weapon attacks.

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011

LifeLynx posted:

Make some indication that defense reactions need their cost paid to block with, unlike any other card type. (Except block cards but those are new and I think rare.)

Defense reaction cards don't actually "block" they're "played." That's an important distinction because they're supposed to be played out after blocks are declared in the reaction phase, and playing a card means paying for it.

Block cards are weird because you don't play those, theyre just block value + some text when you block. I have to keep reminding people not to arsenal them because you literally can't get them out without a way to cycle your arsenal.

LifeLynx posted:

Do you have your list?

Yep, I ran this. https://fabrary.net/decks/01HENEGACXWVKPNHMYG7Q08GWN

The matchups tab has my sideboard plan for who I expected to see.

Bravo is missing from the matchups but it's just "bring all 73 cards and go first"

Some preemptive clarification of Spire Sniping stuff:
Death Dealer -> Spire Sniping -- the draw from Death Dealer happens before the peeking at the top 2 because the DD effect has to complete before we can move to another trigger.
Skullbones Crosswrap -> Spire Sniping -- Spire Sniping resolves before the Opt because flipping the card is part of the cost to activate the Opt effect.

Heath posted:

Also distinguish an "Attack Action" from an "Attack." Every single time I play this game I have to explain that even though a weapon says "Once per turn action - Attack" that is not, in fact, an attack action, even though it is an action, in which you attack.

Weapon attacks are Attack Actions with the Class and Talent type of the weapon.

Fai attacking with a Searing Emberblade (https://fabrary.net/cards/searing-emberblade) is a Draconic Ninja Attack Action (which counts towards itself for the 2 Draconic link requirement for 'go again').

Cards differentiate this by specifically including or omitting the word "card." To use Fai as an example again, Uprising (https://fabrary.net/cards/uprising-red) affects Searing Emberblade attacks but Lunging Press does not (https://fabrary.net/cards/lunging-press-blue)

edit: looks like i answered this while you were replying

Heath posted:

Yes but things that affect an "attack action" do not affect weapon attacks.

i poop fire fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Nov 7, 2023

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011
The first weekend of December is looking pretty stacked for local events. We have 2 skirmishes and a CC 1K.

I'm confident in my Azalea for the 1K, but I haven't done much blitz since last skirmish season. Hopefully young Prism works into the new mechs and I don't have to learn a new deck.

The prizes this season are cold foil teklo cores, which look fantastic. https://fabtcg.com/articles/skirmish-season-8-events/

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I went to a local event yesterday. Really great atmosphere, it reminded me of the early Magic days before everyone got grumpy and tryhard. People were giving each other staple cards, clearly announcing their triggers and cards played, etc.

CC is wild compared to Blitz. There's way more interaction and blocking going on. A lot of games I watched ended with one player gaining advantage and the opponent having no choice but to block with their entire hand every turn. But the gameplay to get there was full of interaction, more than I expected for a game without raw counterspells.

Their next event is Blitz, but I'm not confident yet to put down $20 for a Skirmish. I'll try a regular event in the future, after I manage to collect and test the kind of Crouching Tiger Ira deck I want.

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011
We're getting adult Kassai, finally! Her text looks fun.

https://fabtcg.com/heroes/kassai-of-the-golden-sand/

Worlds is this weekend in Barcelona.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Clash is almost identical to the Clash ability from Magic. It wasn't well-liked there at all, but FAB has a whole subset of cards that care about 6-power attacks, so it could play well with that strategy.

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011
Worlds did not go the way I thought it would.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Yeah, didn’t expect the Fai to squeak through like that.

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011
Chane is out and Kassai will probably LL before my local Skirmishes, so I guess I can just play whatever.

Maybe I'll run something toxic like the TCC box guardian with Staunch Reponses and Unmovables plus ~30 copies of chivalry if Kano doesn't make it. Those CF Teklo Cores are sick.

That might even work if Kano does make it since you can run 4AB and 34 blues.

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011
Both Kassai and Kano are now LL in blitz. I didn't expect both of them to leave, but I'll take it. This weekend's skirmishes should be interesting.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
As a new player I'm shaken that four heroes have LL'd from Blitz and two from CC in the two months I've been into the game. Ira is close in Blitz. Getting a taste of that old Magic feeling of "Why bother building anything, it could get banned suddenly".

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

LifeLynx posted:

As a new player I'm shaken that four heroes have LL'd from Blitz and two from CC in the two months I've been into the game. Ira is close in Blitz. Getting a taste of that old Magic feeling of "Why bother building anything, it could get banned suddenly".

Yeah basically everything I've had interest in playing is gone lol

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Heath posted:

Yeah basically everything I've had interest in playing is gone lol

I built a budget Dash deck for Blitz. It really helped that I pulled a Teklo Foundry Heart and my second Spark of Genius in a HP1 box I got for $50. I could use a Vizertronic Model i and 2x Pulsewave Harpoon, but am I really going to put money into those when Dash is in the top 50% of Living Legend points? Also a Crown of Providence, but let's see if I'm still playing in a few months before dropping $90 on a single card.

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011
Yeah, the new LL point values are pretty aggressive. Speculation is that they did that to accelerate the exit of some of the decks they think are too out of line with the power level they want for the game. I do hope they roll it back once the Uprising crew is gone, or they start reprinting heroes faster. They did say there's 15 heroes coming in 2024, hopefully one of them is Ice :colbert:

LifeLynx posted:

If it makes you feel any better, Kano and Kassai were both released in 2020 and Ira was literally the first playable hero in the game. Skirmishes happen twice a year, which is when blitz heroes earn their LL points.

LifeLynx posted:

I built a budget Dash deck for Blitz. It really helped that I pulled a Teklo Foundry Heart and my second Spark of Genius in a HP1 box I got for $50. I could use a Vizertronic Model i and 2x Pulsewave Harpoon, but am I really going to put money into those when Dash is in the top 50% of Living Legend points? Also a Crown of Providence, but let's see if I'm still playing in a few months before dropping $90 on a single card.

They have said they want people to get attached to the heroes, and they've already printed another Dash. I imagine they'll keep printing new Dash heroes as previous incarnations get close to LL. So unless you hit a Dash that has a hero ability that you hate, you should be fine to lean into it.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011
Maybe I should get some custom tokens with dril tweets on them. There's a local dude who has some anime stuff on seismic surges.

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011
I won our local skirmish with OG Prism without taking a single loss. It'll be cool to have my name on the list of point contributors whenever she hits LL in blitz.

There was lots of Briar, Ira, and Emperor.

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat
I've been playing Azalea against my friend and I really like her as well, so I'm considering upgrading. It seems like of the two routes to go with her though, the Death Dealer route is tremendously more expensive to put together than the Sandscour Greatbow route? Should I seek out the latter I guess?

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011
Death Dealer is massively better than Sandscour because it gives you a five card hand. Death Dealer + Skullbone Crosswrap + Red in the Ledger are basically what makes her deck work. If you can get all of that, you can do cheaper substitutions for basically everything else.

Buying Azalea right now might suck. There's some Arakni hype driving the Codex of Frailty prices up. You can get away with playing yellow Memorial Grounds instead, but thats a huge power difference.

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011
The new Prism spoiler has me pretty psyched. The DTD Luminaris sucked really badly, so I'm glad they're fixing that so soon. The herald/angels deck will actually work once HVY comes out.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I played in a prerelease today and loved it. Compared to Magic where you pick 23 cards, make cuts, and add 17 lands, getting to play every single one of the cards I wanted was amazing. I had to add some subpar cards to make it to 30 cards, but even a bad FAB card is situationally good - plus they all pitch for resources. Really good system. The only negative to it is the equipment; mine never blocked for anything, and I didn't even get a chest piece. Getting lucky and opening a good piece of equipment can make a huge difference. It's not as bad as unbeatable bombs in Magic limited, but you start with it in play....

I put together a Betsy deck because I opened a lot of wager cards and drat, whenever I had five resources to play a 3-cost attack with wager and activate her overpower ability, I was way ahead. If I opened the cards to make it more consistent - more wager attacks or vigor tokens to save cards in my hand to pitch/block - I would have gone 4-0.

There are a lot of 2 blocks in this set. I think they were trying to craft an environment where block cards (they block for 3 or 4) are used to block and attacks are meant to, well, attack. And it really works. I did lose one game because I attacked with that one attack that, when it blocks, can have a card discarded to it to give it +3 block. That hurt. But it's a prerelease, it's all about learning.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
I will say, Sealed feels rough for this set. The delta between having a rare headpiece and not is huge. One of the core mechanics (clash) can be super swingy and a clash you should win a huge amount of the time (Kayo vs Warrior, for instance) going poorly can throw tempo into the trash and piss all over its corpse.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

PJOmega posted:

I will say, Sealed feels rough for this set. The delta between having a rare headpiece and not is huge. One of the core mechanics (clash) can be super swingy and a clash you should win a huge amount of the time (Kayo vs Warrior, for instance) going poorly can throw tempo into the trash and piss all over its corpse.

Clash was despised in Magic, and that was in 2007. It's too random. If it was a mixed class set maybe you could be sure your Guardian deck would win a clash against a Ninja, but here it's likely your opponent has a similar power average in their deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011
Betsy and Kayo won the two events I went to.

I didn't win either event, but I did pull the legendary warrior chest and the Kassai marvel. I guess she's plan B if Azalea doesn't work out in the new meta.