Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Blob is also a campaign-ender, as I recall. The blob eats everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
Yeah first time we played blob we hit that ending and it really soured us on it. We just decided to ignore it

Had a lot of fun with it when we came back more prepared though. Id say its the most fun one for mid level decks, hotel can be a bit too easy

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
I've been really surprised by how little I'm enjoying the Scarlet Keys on my first time through. I've made my piece with the guessing game that a blind play-through entails, but whether scenarios have been weirdly hard or laughably easy they all feel so untested that I don't think I ever want to come back to them.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
If you don’t like the core mechanic, you’re in trouble because it’s used almost every time.

first sight scenarios, I absolutely loved fortune and folly but we did it right the first time and I don’t feel the need to get back at it. I’d like to revisit war of the Elder gods or machinations throughout time, with extremely mobile decks… They have big maps and you have to keep moving.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Tevery Best posted:

Anybody got any opinions on the side scenarios? I remember some not being good outside a con setting, is that accurate? Does it apply to the later ones as well?

I'll repeat some stuff that has already been said, but this is my take on them:

1. Rougarou: Really shows its age and if you started with this one you're basically seeing some of the least compelling content AH has to offer.

2. Carnevale: Pretty decent but I think there are a fair few cards available these days which completely invalidate its movement gimmick.

3. Labyrinths of Lunacy: As mentioned, this was the first Epic Multiplayer scenario, which is basically a mode where multiple 4-person groups play separately but game elements influence each group and you have to work as a large team to get through it all. This is the only AH pack I don't own and probably never will (alongside Barkham, I guess). I thought they did come up with a way to play it solo, but it has no player card rewards and it always sounded like it suck to play anyway.

4. Guardians of the Abyss: This pack consists of two scenarios, The Eternal Slumber and The Night's Usurper. You play them separately but if you do TES first a couple of progression elements carry over into TNU, and if you do TNU first you can't then go back and do TES.

TES is an absolute all-timer, I really love it. It has a huge amount of XP on offer (11 in total) but you won't ever get it all, and it's very difficult. It's design, though, feels very modern; it has three distinct acts which each feel like a mini-scenario themselves. I wouldn't try to tackle it without a large card pool to draw from but it's one of the best scenarios in the entire game. As for TNU, I've only tried it a few times and got smashed every time, even with some high-XP decks. I believe it's considered to be the hardest scenario ever made, and I intend to spend some time on it one day to see if I can crack it.

5. Excelsior Hotel: Cool scenario, and I think this one is the first product the new lead designer ever worked on. I haven't gone back to it much, mainly because I really hate how the lead investigator gets stuck with a weakness in their deck even if you get the best ending.

6. The Blob That Ate Everything: This is another Epic Multiplayer one, but it works pretty well as a regular scenario. I haven't gone back to it much but I remember liking it the few times I played it.

7. War of the Outer Gods: Another EM scenario and this one is the worse for it. From memory it has a bunch of very difficult enemies to fight and it didn't really grab me enough for me to want to go back.

8. Machinations Through Time: EM again, and yeah it doesn't quite come together. It has some cool elements and I think it probably would've been a banger if it wasn't shoehorned into the EM format.

9. Fortune and Folly: Speaking of bangers, this is another all-timer. Fantastic theme and design, really some of the most polished and most compelling content AH has to offer (basically the opposite of Rougarou). It can run very long, but I don't personally find that to be a downside.

10. The Blob That Ate Everything ELSE: I think this was just some print-and-play additions for the original Blob scenario. It came out last year during the very long dry run between TSK and FHV and I just assumed that whatever production issues caused that drought also resulted in them not being able to create a proper standalone for that year.

Last year I posted a TSK campaign report here and I included Rougarou (half-way through this post) and Fortune and Folly (here) if you're curious and don't mind full spoilers.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

The thing I am most likely to botch in this game is treacheries/enemies that threaten adjacent spaces. I get why the designers want to have the option, but drat, there is so much text already at the location I am on, I do not have the mental capacity to be factoring in what is going on at adjacent locations too!

Obviously, hunter enemies routinely “threaten adjacent locations” and it would be silly to grouse about that, but I feel that’s a good bit removed from something like Black Amanita or Cochleal Stag.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Does any goon happen to have the .pdf version of the Alice in Wonderland fan campaign someone made for people to print their own copies? The links that someone shared from 2022 no longer work, and the creator's files are just .jpgs of each card. I know, I know, I can just pay money and have it professionally printed, but I have a bunch of card stock on hand, and plenty of spare time at work when it's slow.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
So for our next campaign, our playgroup decided to build decks, then roll to see which campaign we're playing afterwards. We built Leo Anderson, Carolyn Fern, and Norman Withers. And then we rolled up (Return to) The Forgotten Age. That's right, we're doing TFA with an average agility of 1.33. We're so hosed.

We resigned out of the first scenario with 3xp, Ichtaca's trust, one Poisoned, and 5 Yig's Fury. I (Norman Withers) immediately bought 2 copies of Blur; that's gonna have to pull a lot of weight.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault

DontMockMySmock posted:

So for our next campaign, our playgroup decided to build decks, then roll to see which campaign we're playing afterwards. We built Leo Anderson, Carolyn Fern, and Norman Withers. And then we rolled up (Return to) The Forgotten Age. That's right, we're doing TFA with an average agility of 1.33. We're so hosed.

We resigned out of the first scenario with 3xp, Ichtaca's trust, one Poisoned, and 5 Yig's Fury. I (Norman Withers) immediately bought 2 copies of Blur; that's gonna have to pull a lot of weight.
That's fun idea! Might nick that one day when we catch up with all the campaigns.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

There’s also warning shot to move snakes around.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Golden Bee posted:

There’s also warning shot to move snakes around.

No firearms in the party, sadly.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Have Leo take adaptable because he has rogue access.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Is there a generally-accepted rule for when to incorporate investigator cards into the available pool for deck building? Core box plus that campaign? Core box plus every set up to that campaign? Add 'em if you got 'em?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Just use everything you’ve got. The game can take it, and the stuff that really breaks it will break the later campaigns same as the earlier ones.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah I've never done anything other than everything I have at the time (which is literally everything now) myself. I think if I ever get bored and have played the game a real shitload I might start doing revised core + starter decks + a cycle (maybe two) as a limit for decks but pretty far from that at this point.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
PlayingBoardGames did a challenge where they went back and replayed old campaigns using only the cards available at the time. They said it sucked.

My friends and I played Excelsior this week. Against my better judgement I didn't tell my one friend not to bring NatCho. He got frustrated trying not to kill innocent enemies with that madness treachery on them. Our Harvey player was so obsessed with drawing cards and didn't understand he was supposed to be collecting clues, but to be fair the deck has almost no clue compression aside from two Deductions. And I thought I'd pick up slack as Parallel Agnes, but holy poo poo I couldn't believe how bad I was at drawing my clue-getting events. Despite drawing extra cards and using Arcane Initiate. Needless to say we doomed out. But they had a lot of fun, loved the environment of the hotel, and are more determined to go back and beat this thing, so it's a win after all.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

LifeLynx posted:

PlayingBoardGames did a challenge where they went back and replayed old campaigns using only the cards available at the time. They said it sucked.

I played everything this way the first time through and enjoyed it all. I suppose being familiar with all the cards you can't have could be a bummer. I feel like we got a lot more play out of cards that wouldn't be used with the full collection available.

High Tension Wire
Jan 8, 2020

Wallet posted:

I played everything this way the first time through and enjoyed it all. I suppose being familiar with all the cards you can't have could be a bummer.

Yeah, the game has always been fun and playable. Getting used to some newer cards and then not playing with them might be frustrating, but not the fault of the game per se.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault
I think if you wanted a restricted challenge like that you'd do something like draft your deck rather than restrict sets personally

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

kaffo posted:

I think if you wanted a restricted challenge like that you'd do something like draft your deck rather than restrict sets personally

It's also just a practical thing. Buying the entire game at once would be a big chunk of change.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Undimensioned and unseen was so much harder than the scenario before it

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

It’s also completely defeated by mind blank. I think it’s one of the worst scenarios in Dunwich and skip it on replays.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

DontMockMySmock posted:

Update: we tpk'd in the second scenario, which if you recall, with 5 yig's fury means we all were killed and had to make new decks. So yeah we abandoned that campaign :rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Golden Bee posted:

It’s also completely defeated by mind blank. I think it’s one of the worst scenarios in Dunwich and skip it on replays.

my main issue was that the mechanics just seem clumsily written

i'll definitely be doing the return to stuff with the next one. i'm pretty sure the base version would completely stonewall us