Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
It melts stone, overgrowth, arcane barriers, and doors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Yeah, I did that search earlier, too. Locked Door is the only target consistent across every campaign and it only ever appears in a couple of scenarios each time, but it does give Intellect users a way to get around it. The Science trait seems really underused but I assume when we eventually get Kate Winthrop that will change.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
I have an original core set basically new (played once) that I’d like to sell; I only just learned that there’s a revised core, but I presume everything in it is still useful.

I’m in the UK. If there’s any interest, shoot me a PM.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

New player report. I played some two player this weekend (my third game overall) and after we wiped I realized I was doing something wrong - taking the damage from the enemies every time they engaged us and not just AoO & normal attacks. I'd won my first solo game even with that because I was playing the detective, had the magnifying glass for clues, and only drew one enemy before the ghoul priest. This time I played Roland again and my friend played the core set mage and we got slaughtered. I re-read the rules and we had a better second game using two of the precon decks: the psychic and Stella. We got the ghoul priest down to 2 hp and on our last turn the psychic ran out of her attack spell and whiffed on two punches and went down in a tide of ghouls. Stella had just drawn the "first action costs 2 actions" treachery so I just ran her out the door.

Now to try my hand at deck building to see if we can do better next time. We picked up Edge of the Earth at our LGS, and I found a store online with all of Carcosa. Those should keep us busy until the Dunwich repackage comes out around here in a month or three.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I mean ghoul priest will hit you if you miss him, he has retaliate. But you only take attacks of opportunity when you do something other than attack, parlay, evade or resign.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah we took the retaliate damage when we missed, and knew we'd get hit if we drew cards or gained resources while engaged with anything. Which sucked since we really wanted to dig for spells or attack buffs. But for my first three games I'd misapplied the rule from the Enemy Phase and thought you took their damage when they engaged you at any time, including when you draw them in the Mythos Phase or if you walk into their room during your turn.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
That's certainly one way to make the game a lot harder. I'm actually really impressed you managed to win even a single scenario like that, even with the low enemy draw.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

ArkhamDB has so many decks but never the exact thing you need. I'm thinking of building a Wendy deck to introduce someone else to the game, since Wendy has a good "Nope" power. Most decks online seem to be built around the core set cards, though.
Are there any particular cards or combos in the first four cycles (all I've got) that Wendy really well?

Fire Axe, Live and Learn, and Last Chance seem easy to use. Improvised cards are just a minor bump in complexity, and help mitigate the discards. Lockpicks would be nuts on Wendy.
I haven't thought about the upgrades yet, but Stroke of Luck would be a total waste.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
Lunchbreak posting, but here's a few Wendy decklists with commentary from around the right time period in case they help:

https://arkhamdb.com/decklist/view/8544/wendy-adams-the-new-seeker-1.0
https://arkhamdb.com/decklist/view/8191/will-to-survive-combo-wendy-expert-1.0
https://arkhamdb.com/decklist/view/14838/archer-wendy-has-a-clue-ornate-bow-skeleton-key-updated-1.0
https://arkhamdb.com/decklist/view/7210/make-failing-fun-2.0
https://arkhamdb.com/decklist/view/8466/card-counting-urchin-1.0

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Wendy's strength is that she has no dead draws.

Her weakness is that her statline doesn't let her do anything except not get hurt by treacheries very well.

So make her a deck that lets her do stuff. Her combat of 1 means she's just never going to be able to use that stat for anything useful, imo. She also really likes events. So give her things that let her investigate more, and deal with enemies through her evade stat. That can include getting rid of them permanently through cards like Waylay or Backstab. So things like Lockpicks, Old Keyring, Mariner's Compass, Flashlight, Pilfer and Look What I Found (not all of them obviously).

Then add economy and general support cards to fill out the deck. Cards like Perception, Manual Dexterity, Resourceful, Take Heart, Lucky, Live and Learn and A Test of Will. Maybe Madame Labranche.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Hello thread! My wife and I picked up the revised box set a couple of weeks ago and have played through the first scenario. We liked the game enough that I went out and bought the five investigator packs and I'll probably wait for the first scenario re-release in March before I pick that up. What are your favorite storage options, dividers, and sleeves to use?

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
I like using the "Return To" boxes and dividers for the campaigns that have them and clear sleeves. I bought a ton of the old FFG sleeves back in the day and after FFG stopped making them I've reserved those for player cards and use the new Gamegenic sleeves for all the Scenario stuff. This has proven to be a pretty slick system and makes it so you can't really mix up player and scenario cards: they're noticably different in size. I know the FFG sleeves are out of production, but I think I heard someone is making sleeves of the same size, I just can't remember who.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Were the FFG ones slightly smaller? I bought a ton of the Matte Gamegenic ones (Color Code: Gray), and while I'm happy with the overall look and feel of the sleeves themselves, I'm not quite as jazzed about how loose the cards are in the sleeves.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
They were taller, with a pretty noticable amount of dead space above the card itself, so they had some margin of error for the card to seat itself. I really liked them, and like them more than the gamegenic sleeves, which is why i use them for player cards which are usually handled and shuffled more than scenario cards.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
The thing I'm finding tough, is presenting the player cards to the other players without it being overwhelming. I'm the one whose buying all the poo poo (which I'm fine with cause I like to have it and I'll probably play it solo/with other folks in the future) and it's like, do I put them all in binders when I go over to my friends house who has the good table and space to play so they can look through them between scenarios and such.

Or I could ask them to make Arkham DB accounts and make the decks and share them with me and just pick some cards to use as upgrades so I just make the decks and bring those plus the upgrades and whichever campaign we're gonna play. Would be less hassle.... maybe?

Douche Phoenix
Oct 25, 2014
Pretty sure we played this right, but if I draw Corrosion(discard x cost with of item cards) when the only item card in my hand and player area is an item weakness, I am required to discard it right?
We ended up right on the edge of timing out in Unspeakable Oath but still won.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

No, actually, weaknesses can only be discarded from your hand by random effects or by effects which specifically say to discard your entire hand.

edit: missed the 'in play' part. Yes, you can choose to discard weakness assets in play unless they specifically say otherwise.

Kalko fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jan 22, 2022

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Kalko posted:

No, actually, weaknesses can only be discarded from your hand by random effects or by effects which specifically say to discard your entire hand.

edit: missed the 'in play' part. Yes, you can choose to discard weakness assets in play unless they specifically say otherwise.

To build on this, the rule of thumb in Arkham is that "cannot" is absolute. If a card says that you "cannot" do something except by this specific method then that's it, end of story. Some item weaknesses specifically have a "cannot" clause to them, usually to force you through some kind of hoop (see the Necronomicon, the King in yellow act 1). Others, like the tarot weaknesses, have no such protection while they are on the field. Once you get The Devil out of your hand you can pitch it to Corrosion at your earliest convenience. The same is true with the Clasp of Black Onyx if you pick it up, there's nothing stopping you from discarding it once it's in play.

The wrinkle is, as Kalko says, the basic rules of the game state that you "cannot" optionally choose to discard a weakness from your hand. If an effect hits cards at random from your hand it can potentially get rid of a weakness for you, but you cannot choose to discard a weakness in your hand to the effects of Corrosion. Meanwhile, hidden encounter cards (including hidden weaknesses) can't leave your hand at all except by their specific rules text.

An amusing side effect of this is that if you have an item weakness that takes up a hand slot and has a "cannot" clause and end up in a Straitjacket in the aforementioned scenario the end result is that both of them stalemate and the item weakness hovers in play despite not having a slot to hold it in.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Any idea why the Dunwich Legacy Deluxe specifications say Maximum of 4 players, but the upcoming re-release and its associated investigator expansion both say Maximum of 2? Maybe a typo since the EotE specs say Maximum of 4 players as well?

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

FishFood posted:

I know the FFG sleeves are out of production, but I think I heard someone is making sleeves of the same size, I just can't remember who.

Sleeve Kings; their 100 micron premium sleeves specifically are the identical size: https://sleevekings.com/collections/premium-quality-card-sleeves-100-microns-55-per-pack

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

Batterypowered7 posted:

Any idea why the Dunwich Legacy Deluxe specifications say Maximum of 4 players, but the upcoming re-release and its associated investigator expansion both say Maximum of 2? Maybe a typo since the EotE specs say Maximum of 4 players as well?

I'm gonna go with typo. You can see in the images of the box it has a player count of 1-4.

Douche Phoenix
Oct 25, 2014
Now I probably pick up the second Justify the Means and 2 copies of Skeptic and ride the bag with 20 +1s all the way to the end

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Could anyone please PM me with the info about the steam TTS mod for this game, like the one PlayingBoardGames uses in their vids? Google/reddit says its a Fight Club situation because too many people were downloading it without buying any cards.

Dunwich has some staples I need but I'm holding off for the re-release next month. My ordered set of Carcosa has been sitting in a post office a few states away for the last six days. I'd like to do some deckbuilding with their cards without proxying if I can. I'll probably be playing with a group next in person right after the Dunwich investigator set releases. Right now I've got the revised core, a few of the investigator starters, and EOTE.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

ArkhamCards app has deck-building with statistics and simulated draws and set filters. The TTS mod doesn't do any of that.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

bagrada posted:

Could anyone please PM me with the info about the steam TTS mod for this game, like the one PlayingBoardGames uses in their vids? Google/reddit says its a Fight Club situation because too many people were downloading it without buying any cards.

Dunwich has some staples I need but I'm holding off for the re-release next month. My ordered set of Carcosa has been sitting in a post office a few states away for the last six days. I'd like to do some deckbuilding with their cards without proxying if I can. I'll probably be playing with a group next in person right after the Dunwich investigator set releases. Right now I've got the revised core, a few of the investigator starters, and EOTE.

There's a Discord for it, shouldn't be hard to find an invite link with google once you know that. edit: It's even in the OP of this thread. FFG's attitude to the mod is highly understandable but I feel most players would have been more accepting of it if they hadn't done their crackdown during a global pandemic lockdown.

But yeah, the TTS mod isn't what you want for deckbuilding at all. Either use https://arkhamdb.com/ or check out the ArkhamCards app.

NRVNQSR fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jan 24, 2022

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

I read the OP a while ago and thought I would have made note of mention of the TTS mod, I should have looked again before posting. Thanks for the advice, I'll check out ArkhamCards. I've used the *db.com sites to skim prebuilt decks but haven't tried registering and using their deckbuilding tools yet.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

bagrada posted:

I read the OP a while ago and thought I would have made note of mention of the TTS mod, I should have looked again before posting. Thanks for the advice, I'll check out ArkhamCards. I've used the *db.com sites to skim prebuilt decks but haven't tried registering and using their deckbuilding tools yet.

The deck building tools are game changing due to ease of use. Physically going through all of my cards is a burden when they are split between 6 binders.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I have trouble building unless the cards are in front of me, so all my cards are sorted in color-coded boxes and then I have a box of deck scraps that constantly needs to be sorted and put away between campaigns.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

LifeLynx posted:

I have trouble building unless the cards are in front of me, so all my cards are sorted in color-coded boxes and then I have a box of deck scraps that constantly needs to be sorted and put away between campaigns.

That's how my friend organizes Marvel. He's got a case which holds every player card and the non-expansion villain cards in color coded ultra pro boxes. We generally netdeck for that game though. Pick a hero and color we want to play, grab a popular deck that looks fun off marvelcdb.com, build it in paper or on TTS, choose a villain we haven't played in a while, then go. I'm sorting my LOTR LCG collection that way as well, I'm going to take a dwarf army through the Saga boxes.

Arkham is the first game that has me wanting to build my own decks and try things out on my own so I'm still debating color coded boxes vs using binders like I used to with MTG. I'll have to try the app yet to see how that goes.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Gamezenter is selling packs for the parallel investigators (no Wendy yet) here:

https://shop.gamezenter.com/collections/arkham-horror-lcg-parallel-investigators

This place used to be owned by FFG or something, and they still do all of FFG's POD stuff so the cards should be the same quality as the Gencon packs. No shipping outside the US but they may show up elsewhere in future if they're popular enough.

Also, unrelated, but if you're like me and you simply must sleeve every single thing that can be sleeved, I recently discovered these sleeves are a perfect fit for the Return To divider cards.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Kalko posted:

Gamezenter is selling packs for the parallel investigators (no Wendy yet) here:

https://shop.gamezenter.com/collections/arkham-horror-lcg-parallel-investigators

This place used to be owned by FFG or something, and they still do all of FFG's POD stuff so the cards should be the same quality as the Gencon packs. No shipping outside the US but they may show up elsewhere in future if they're popular enough.

Also, unrelated, but if you're like me and you simply must sleeve every single thing that can be sleeved, I recently discovered these sleeves are a perfect fit for the Return To divider cards.

I believe someone in the Facebook group also said the Mythos Busters Discord has a MakePlayingCards.com file listed in one of the channels if you want to get the Parallel Investigators printed out yourself (because you don't want to wait for Gamezenter to add Wendy). It's a nice alternative for those outside the US.

take three tablets
Nov 21, 2005

Hell Gem
I haven’t seen anyone mention this but they also did a POD quality run of Curse of the Rougarou and Carnevale of Horrors. Noteworthy if you don’t have them; they’re out of print and getting a little pricy. I got mine in yesterday and the quality seems good. I haven’t compared them directly to normal cards yet.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

take three tablets posted:

I haven’t seen anyone mention this but they also did a POD quality run of Curse of the Rougarou and Carnevale of Horrors. Noteworthy if you don’t have them; they’re out of print and getting a little pricy. I got mine in yesterday and the quality seems good. I haven’t compared them directly to normal cards yet.

Where'd you order them from?

Douche Phoenix
Oct 25, 2014
Gamezenter, which means I'm probably giving them some money in the near future.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

https://mysteriouschanting.wordpress.com/2022/02/01/arkham-incidents/ five new scenarios from the guy who made Alice in Wonderland, war of the worlds and Foundations.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Let us know when you do compare them to normal cards (thickness and print quality). I might be inclined to pick them up just to have as well.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
I have both Rougarou and Carnevale in their original incarnations and if the Gamezenter stuff is better quality I would probably buy those as replacements. The original POD stuff is pretty bad.

take three tablets
Nov 21, 2005

Hell Gem

Batterypowered7 posted:

Let us know when you do compare them to normal cards (thickness and print quality). I might be inclined to pick them up just to have as well.

As far as size and card stock, they are basically identical, and I took a couple really quick comparison photos for print quality.

The font isn't the same but I don't have the original scenario packs to compare to. The bottom edge copyright stuff seems to get a little bit cut off on some of the cards but it's not consistent across them. I'm definitely happy with them.

These are shuffled up, cards #2 and #8 are from Dunwich, the others are Rougarou. It's actually a lot easier to tell in the photo than it is in real life.

The last two are "real" cards.

take three tablets fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Feb 2, 2022

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

take three tablets posted:

As far as size and card stock, they are basically identical, and I took a couple really quick comparison photos for print quality.

The font isn't the same but I don't have the original scenario packs to compare to. The bottom edge copyright stuff seems to get a little bit cut off on some of the cards but it's not consistent across them. I'm definitely happy with them.

These are shuffled up, cards #2 and #8 are from Dunwich, the others are Rougarou. It's actually a lot easier to tell in the photo than it is in real life.

The last two are "real" cards.

Awesome. I wanna pick up some of these mats: https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/862781564/player-mat-for-arkham-horror-lcg-arkham

But now those PoD will be on my "Want List" as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Looks like Gamezenter are reprinting the novel cards too. Announced just late enough for people to miss out on combined shipping with the parallels.

https://shop.gamezenter.com/collections/arkham-horror-lcg/products/arkham-horror-lcg-out-of-the-void-investigator-pack