Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Evil Kit posted:

just like in regular drg you'd accidentally grappling hook into a horde of bugs and die instantly as scout.

I'd likely just grapple off the side of the map and fall to my death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Huh, maybe my fondness for Haz 4 stems from AC Heavy Gunner and Strong Arm Driller. Relatedly, both their starter weapons are very good, heavy weapons and throwables are also some of the most powerful weapons with OCs with strong starting points to build on.

Squibbles posted:

I'd likely just grapple off the side of the map and fall to my death

:hmmyes: the devs add gravity just for scouts and single handedly make gravity the highest death statistic just like regular DRG

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Artifact Seeker coming out proper March 25:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2510720/view/4101161968291843516

quote:

Thanks for all the support during the last few months, Artifact Seeker is finally ready for sales.

Enjoy our launch discount at $8.09 (original price $8.99). Don't miss out if you're interested in roguelite bullet heaven games!

As a roguelite bullet heaven game, Artifact Seeker provides tons of contents in full release:
- Unique “Artifacts sharing code" function! ! You can share the super Artifacts you get with your friends!!
- 150+ unique artifacts with 28 different synergies.
- 100+ different skills with different mechanic and play style.
- 5 characters (each with 6+ weapons for different building and play style).
- 60+ unique events with interesting story and hard choices.
- 150+ different affixes with different mechanics and stats depth.
- A story mode and endless mode with 25+ difficulty challenge.
Artifact Seekers, are you ready for the challenge!

Once again, thank you for your ongoing interest in Artifact Seeker. We're planning to launch a free character DLC, more contents to give back to our players, so stay tuned.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
My bro recommended Tiny Rogues to me and it's got to be at least VS-like adjacent. You do have to press your attack and dodge buttons, sadly, but the gameplay and level up loop into omnipotence via projectile spam hits the spot just right.

Soundtrack hits hard too. After getting used to the game I'm getting about a clear a day to finish unlocking all the classes.

I admire the boldness with which the dev... homages certain things, hah. Great game overall.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
The advent of the latest Steam sale event is liable to spur others along for the ride as well, but at least here at the start is the big update for Elemental Survivors:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2180000/view/6502707192914148156

quote:

Hello survivors!

It's been awhile! But your intrepid devs have been hard at work for this big big update! Hope you're ready for this!!!

The biggest thing that we've added is.... ELEMENTAL SUMMONS!!!! Yes!!! You will be able to summon huge elemental beings that will wipe out every enemy on the screen! Here's how it works:

Step 1: Unlock the NEW Faerie Caps area.
Step 2: Defeat the final boss in the Faerie Caps area.
Step 3: Defeat 10,000 enemies in one of the first four areas to spawn a mysterious crystal!
Step 4: Find and shatter the crystal with attacks to summon a great Elemental Beast and its guardians!
Step 5: Slay the Elemental Beast! Now all characters with the same elemental affinity will have that Elemental Summon unlocked!
Step 6: Go to any area with a character of matching elemental affinity and defeat enemies to fill your Soul Bar.
Step 7: Trigger that summon and witness the devastation!!!

This update includes the first four summons: Eikthyrnir (nature), Zomok (wind), Kulshedra (witchcraft), and Phoenix (fire). We'll be releasing more summons in future updates!

As well, please peruse this enormous list of changes. We've lowered the cost of many permanent upgrades! Be sure to refund your upgrades and repurchase for the reduced price.

Bug fixes and tweaks:
Reduced the price of many permanent upgrades. Be sure to refund and repurchase!
"First options only" achievement fixed.
Fixed bug when closing the music or accessibility menu with escape.
Fixed bug with double rerolls.
Fixed bug with multiple menus opening.
Fixed bug with crashes navigating the music select menu on Steam Deck.
Slowdown improved.
Tweaked hitbox for Magic Missile Swarm and Arrow Strike.
Arrow Strike size now affected by projectile size.
Holy Nail now targets two enemies at once.
Magic Cards and Poison Riceball evos fixed.
Fireball, Backslash, Axe Volley, and Summon Pet evos tweaked.
Fixed menus and sounds layering when levelling up multiple times. This may affect how fast you level and may also affect balance.
Fixed maxed evo zoom while in Journey mode.
Turned off menu input while travelling to area selected.
Fixed shop spawning in Journey mode.

Added:
Added the Faerie Caps area.
Achievement to unlock Elemental Summon Crystal spawns.
Added Elemental Beast Crystal spawns to first four areas.
Achievements to unlock the Elemental Summons for the first four areas.
Added Elemental Summons for nature, wind, witchcraft, and fire.
Added Elemental Summon Bar Speed achievement and upgrades.
Added the Cherub character.
Added the Soul Sweep attack.
Added the Glitter Bee character.
Added the Glitter Heal "attack".
Lots of new/updated sound effects.

We truly hope you'll enjoy these changes and additions, and welcome your feedback. If we didn't get to your bug or suggestion yet, the next update won't be too far away!

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Nordic Ashes is on sale, and the price is going up this month in advance of 1.0 next month, so if you are interested and haven't, now is the time to grab it

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2068280/view/5970156536060484726

It's nicely content rich at this point, though the actual balance is pretty rear end and I'm uncertain if the devs care about changing it (basically you break the game by going to the store once you have the gold unlocks, and by simply picking up an xp ring, but like, but if you enjoy breaking the game in VS clones and think that's the whole point :getin:)

It also has a banging soundtrack that sounds like some mythical norse version of Basil Poledouris jamming away, it's almost hilariously out of place for how epic it is compared to the cutesy presentation

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

victrix posted:

It also has a banging soundtrack that sounds like some mythical norse version of Basil Poledouris jamming away, it's almost hilariously out of place for how epic it is compared to the cutesy presentation

This is not even a slight exaggeration

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

victrix posted:

It's nicely content rich at this point, though the actual balance is pretty rear end and I'm uncertain if the devs care about changing it (basically you break the game by going to the store once you have the gold unlocks, and by simply picking up an xp ring, but like, but if you enjoy breaking the game in VS clones and think that's the whole point :getin:)

Huh, when did that change? I always felt incredibly underpowered when I played it and making any traction with the meta-progression felt grindy as poo poo.

If it got better that's good because yeah I loved the game's presentation a bunch.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

Huh, when did that change? I always felt incredibly underpowered when I played it and making any traction with the meta-progression felt grindy as poo poo.

If it got better that's good because yeah I loved the game's presentation a bunch.

I don't know when you last played but they improved yggdrasil seed gains, adjusted costs, and added seed 'bushes' you can destroy on maps to get more seeds to help get over the initial hump of important upgrades

there's a point you hit with gold gen (always adding +1 to gold pickups) that almost always ensures you reach the shop with 99 gold (and later you can get an unlock that removes the gold cap, which makes this even more broken)

as a result, you just survive until the first shop, then spam reroll and buy up 2389492934 relics, coming out insanely overpowered

the other is the game's magnet, which is both more rare than a lot of other VS games magnet, and way more powerful - if you get an XP Ring and use it right before the boss, you sponge up all the dropped xp on the map which gives you a huge power spike (oh, and did I mention you can convert xp levels to gold in the shop? yeah). the other dropped usable items are pretty rear end, not even on the same planet as the xp ring in power.

there are a few key metaprog upgrades that also have a massive impact on early game and per-run power - specifically the 'ascension crystal pillar' that appears on stage 1, and the 'altars can refresh after pickup' (and yes that applies to the ascension crystal both on the map and in the shop, you can get 3x ascension crystals right off the rip if you're lucky)

I personally don't like any of those designs, but, if you invest a little time into runs, you'll absolutely break the game over your knee and you can move into ragnarok difficulty tiers to face a stiffer challenge

really just depends what you dig in your VS games, if you like a bit more effort to kill you like Halls of Torment, or you just want to melt everything like VS, this leans more heavily towards the latter

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Yeah I'm definitely more towards the "melt everything that looks at me funny" vibes (see also why I love Rogue: Genesia so much) so that rules. Time to reinstall. :toot:

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

if you are struggling early on just pick hafgrim and go for the lightning codex with the first evo option. it is very unbalanced and will usually do at least 10x as much damage as my next closest weapon.

Issakhar
Sep 10, 2009

Army of Ruin was good, right?

Not planning on grabbing much during this Steam sale because Dragon's Dogma 2 and Horizon Forbidden West releasing in a week but one or two VS-likes wouldn't hurt my wallet!

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i liked army of ruin enough to 100% the cheevos but i havent really gone back to it afterwards. put 58 hours into it though so thats not bad.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
Army of ruin is bland but looked better than many of the knockoffs at the time. It's fun enough, I certainly played it a bunch last year, but I don't think I'll ever go back.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Acid Planet gets their first content update: 'Juju Island'

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2641530/view/6502707192916796073

quote:

Hi everyone!

I'm excited to bring to you the first content update for Acid Planet!

MAJOR UPDATES

Missions 4 & 5, (Mangolin and the Ant Emperor) now unlockable, with a new biome of monsters.
Wave breakdown and wave bonuses added (perfect shield, broke and statue).
Generator update - earn interest on your saved gold.

MORE UPDATES AND BALANCE

Better support for colorblind players (updated minimap & warning contrast)
Key rebinding now available in-game
Increased income for all crew
Water update: now buffs income for all support structures, increases attack speed by 30%
Generator upgrades added, they buff the interest earnings cap
[*]Fixed south-side spawning on triple vector waves + some minor other bugs

I also want to say a massive thanks to the players! I have received some incredible feedback so far. It really fires me up to keep delivering more content and updates like a maniac. Please keep it coming!

Here are some things that will be coming in the next update (2 weeks away).

-Controller support
-Weapon evolutions
-More perks and weapons
-Loadout gadgets

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

"Hello Survivors,

DRG:S has been out for a month, and we've just hit 1.000.000 units sold!"

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2321470/view/6273023611533844316?l=english

why publishers want IP rights.txt

ya ain't gonna convince me that's on quality merits, but good for them, more bux for Rogue Core

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Hey hey, content drop next week.

And as flawed as DRG:S is it still handily beats every second rate clone in a field flooded with them. Worst thing that could happen is they take the money and run and drop support and I'd still have an 8/10 I put an easy 19 hours into.

Issakhar
Sep 10, 2009

victrix posted:

"Hello Survivors,

DRG:S has been out for a month, and we've just hit 1.000.000 units sold!"

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2321470/view/6273023611533844316?l=english

why publishers want IP rights.txt

ya ain't gonna convince me that's on quality merits, but good for them, more bux for Rogue Core

When they surpassed concurrent players (I think) it was pretty funny seeing the main DRG twitter account post something like "we're happy but...this wasn't supposed to happen!"

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

oh cool, looks like the new biome is salt caves. I wonder what the gimmick will be?

The more I play DRG:S the more convinced I am the devs shot themselves in the foot with the pace of weapon unlocks. I just unlocked the Shard Diffractor and it's a really cool design to implement for a weapon. It places a long beam originating for your character that pivots towards a static point placed a distance from you and the beam reflects off walls. Its super fun and v useful for groups or large targets.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i had some aoe scaling going on amaranth and wanted to see what it looked like with effects at full opacity

im in there somewhere :v:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Bounced off Nordic Ashes pretty hard like a year in a half ago but came back today and I'm really enjoying it.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Has anyone dropped the cash on Pesticide Not Required? I discovered Dex on YouTube recently and have been watching the stream of this, looks like an interesting spin on the VS formula. Can't play it for another 12 hours though!

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i like frogs but not farming so much so im not sure about that one

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

fappenmeister posted:

Has anyone dropped the cash on Pesticide Not Required? I discovered Dex on YouTube recently and have been watching the stream of this, looks like an interesting spin on the VS formula. Can't play it for another 12 hours though!

Dex is a real good watch for games in this genre.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

MarcusSA posted:

Dex is a real good watch for games in this genre.

He really is! I've watched a heap over the last fortnight and bought heaps of games he's played or spoken about on stream. The challenges and ways he tries to break games is enjoyable.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Some frank dev lore clarity on Spellbook Demonslayers that even I'd forgotten about, alongside timeline for The Substantial Doings, which May or May Not give the banner edge to Scarlet Tower:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2007530/view/4146197332016853210

quote:

The new Apocalypse update will be changing the game a very large amount, including pushing the timeline of the game forward in a way that would typically be considered a sequel.

Because of this, all players who own or buy the game will also be able to play the current version of the game on the Legacy Beta Branch when the Apocalypse update launches.

My other projects have gone through similar transformations:

Kingdom Hearts: Critical Mix
Kingdom Hearts: Critical Mix is a full overhaul mod of KH1 that completely revamps the combat system, abilities, equipment and weapon system, and more. At first the mod was just a Level 1 challenge mode rebalance that was still mostly identical to the regular game, but as new modding tech became available it changed into an entirely new experience that feels extremely different from the original game.

Later on, new modding tech again made it possible to port this mod from the PS2 version of the game onto the PC version of the game, and along with that came a fairly significant number of differences between the two versions of the mod where each version has things that the other one doesn't / can't. The PC version does sacrifice a bit of the depth of the PS2 version, but is way more accessible and tends to "just work" in a way that the other one doesn't.

I also developed separate randomizers for both versions of Critical Mix, as well as a Riku variant of the mod with some different combat mechanics.

(Also i made an animation cancelling mod for Birth By Sleep called "Better Battle System" that you might like if you wished BBS was fun)

Malice & Greed
Malice & Greed is my first game, a rougelike RPG featuring a combat system that combines Shin Megami Tensei's "Press Turn" system with a color-based resource generation system influenced by Magic: the Gathering. This game originally launched as a janky prototype with an open-layout map and extremely long runs similar to a game like Darkest Dungeon.

Over time the game structure changed completely into a much shorter Slay the Spire style run, and the reward structure went through an overhaul similar to the one that Spellbook Demonslayers is getting (more categorization and gamification).

I plan to completely remake Malice & Greed again in the future when i have a larger team and more experience + budget, into a ps2-style 3d roguelike RPG that I would have originally made if i had the ability. The current version of M&G will also become a Legacy branch, just like SBDS is.

but why
I didn't specifically choose to work like this, but every time I get better at making stuff it makes me a lot more critical of my old work and usually makes it really clear where i went off-course from making the thing that I actually wanted to make. Often what happens is that you are learning to make things you've never made before, so you end up losing sight of the game design while focusing on getting things to work at all.

Rather than just launching a half baked "1.0" and then making people buy an entirely new game to get the full experience that I wanted to give originally, I'm going to just let people have both versions and they can choose which one they enjoy more (or play both of them).

but why the spicy version of the game
Spellbook Demonslayers original version was heavily nerfed and self-censored. This might come across as a big tone shift for people who only know me from this game, but the tone and themes of the new SBDS is what you should expect from most of my stuff. The SFW version of the game and NSFW version of the game will always remain as entirely separate products on Steam, so you can always choose the SFW version without worry if you prefer.

- I'm not sure when this update will be coming out, but it'll be on a time scale of months rather than weeks. There will be playable beta builds of it before it comes out though

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

that reminded me to go leave a negative review for spellbook demonslayers. the way this guy is handling this is absolutely insane to me.

e: i felt bad so i left a positive review for nordic ashes to balance it out.

Awesome! fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Mar 19, 2024

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

I'm not sure how "you'll still have the game you have right now" is handling it poorly

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
More titties is a good thing imo

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Awesome! posted:

i like frogs but not farming so much so im not sure about that one

So from what I have watched one video of it, and what little I played of it, the "farming" is just moving near your plot of land to plant/water/harvest your weapons/experience, the seeds of which you buy at the shop at the start of each day. A day being about a minute. Fishing is just moving near a fishing spot on your pond. Mining just involves being near some ore. Various upgrades improve your hit points, damage, cool down, area, mining/fishing/planting speeds or yield. Weapons are purchased as seeds at the shop, you can sometimes buy pets at the shop, other seeds grant xp when harvested. I think mining and fishing might give xp as well.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
DRG:S patch just dropped:

quote:

Update 01 - Salt Pits
Features

New Biome: Salt Pits
The pod is ready to take you to a brand new biome of Hoxxes IV - the Salt Pits. Fans of Deep Rock Galactic will recognize some of this biome’s features such as the unstable crystals. In DRG:S, the unstable crystals are dislodged when you knock down a Stalagmite Cluster that sends resonating soundwaves out and dislodges them from the ceiling.

Salt Pits are also characterized by being much more densely packed with rock and stone, but don’t worry - it is more brittle than in other biomes. This makes tunneling and choke point strategies a lot more doable, and changes the dynamic and usefulness of many weapons and overclocks.
We are aware of the issue with enemies being “hidden” behind rocks (which will be particularly prevalent in a dense biome like Salt Pits) and plan on addressing this in a later update.

New Enemy: Q’ronar Youngling
New Enemy: Q’ronar Youngling “Mini Elite”
Falling rocks and dense terrain are not the only challenges in the Salt Pits. We’re introducing the Q’ronar Youngling - a pesky little creep that rolls after you and bounces when hitting terrain. The larger “mini elite” version that spawns intermittently in stages can even roll through the rocks and stones of the Salt Pits and carve out tunnels.

New Artifact: The MoCap - Increases your damage by 1% for every % of missing HP
New Artifact: Salty Pretzel - Increases your armor by 1 for every 2% of missing HP
New Artifact: Miner’s Manual - +10% damage, +10% reload speed, +5% crit chance, +20% crit damage

New Steam Achievements:
Close Call - Kill the Dreadnought with less than 30 HP left
Hoxxes Manual - Die 3 times
Why So Salty? - Reach 50 armor

Balance

Biomes
To make room for Salt Pits in the biome and hazard level progression, we have changed the requirements to unlock different hazard levels. Some players may find that they no longer have access to some of the higher hazard levels. On the flip side, they will have access to new hazard levels in Salt Pits, and many more biome goals to earn.
The biome goal for Magma Core hazard 4 has had its requirement reduced from “Mine 300 Nitra” to “Mine 275 Nitra”
The biome goal for Hollow Bough hazard 4 has had its requirement reduced from “Mine 600 Gold” to “Mine 550 Gold”

Weapons
The following weapons have all had their overclocks unlocked from the start:
Deepcore GK2 as Classic Scout
“Lead Storm” Powered Minigun as Weapons Specialist Gunner
Subata 120 as Foreman Driller
LMG Gun Platform as Maintenance Worker Engineer
Hi-Volt Thunderbird:
Damage increased from 12 to 16
Status effect stack increased from 1 to 3
Targets zapped increased from 2 to 3
LOK-1 Smart Rifle:
Increased damage from 35 to 44
Reduced lock-on time from 0.2 to 0.15
CRSPR Flamethrower:
Increased initial damage from 20 to 28
Voltaic Stun Sweeper:
Reduced reload time from 3 to 2 seconds
Colette Wave Cooker:
Increased initial damage from 80 to 94
Increased status effect stacks from 6 to 8
Incendiary Grenade:
Increased impact damage from 75 to 85
Breach Cutter:
Increased damage from 25 to 32
Increased status effect stacks from 2 to 4
High Explosive Grenade:
Reduced fuse time from 2 to 1.5 seconds
M1000 Classic:
Reduced damage from 145 to 140
Reduced fire rate from 0.5/s to 0.45/s
"Thunderhead" Heavy Autocannon:
Reduced damage from 100 to 92
Reduced fire rate from 2.86/s to 2.5/s
Seismic Repulsor:
Reduced damage from 20 to 18
Reduced turret triggering speed from 1.33/s to 0.83/s

Artifacts
Pay2Win Console:
Increased gold cost and duration from 10 to 50
Clipboard of Grudges:
Increased experience gained by 50%
FRZ Shield Belt:
Increased damage from 80 to 100
Increased status effect stacks from 50 to 65
BRN Shield Belt:
Increased damage from 120 to 140
Increased status effect stacks from 50 to 65
Popup Tripod:
Increased max stacks from 10 to 15
Increased duration from 2 to 3 seconds

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

quote:

We are aware of the issue with enemies being “hidden” behind rocks (which will be particularly prevalent in a dense biome like Salt Pits) and plan on addressing this in a later update.

lol

and more artifacts to dilute the pool with no banish/seal

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2270750/Black_Gunner_Wukong/

I really like this

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am sure it is a complete coincidence the name is easily mistakable for Black Myth: Wukong.

Also

quote:

In the game, all creatures are identified as armed helicopters and supermarket shopping bags, not as female and male!

Yeaaaah, I'm sure someone putting a "I identify as a helicopter" joke in their Steam page in the year 2024 isn't an awful person.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

:yikes:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

what the gently caress is that aaaag

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Any lesser-known games you people recommend before the sale is over?

I already own a metric gently caress ton of these because I have brain worms. Is the Pathfinder game any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Well, I guess they have a story. That's a good thing?