Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
Overall, I really enjoyed the show and was thoroughly entertained by it. Although I admit, I wasn't wild about season 4 at all. Way too much poo poo happened that seemed like they were either gearing up for 2-3 more seasons, OR higher episode counts. Regardless, I thought they did a good job ending it as they did with Susie and Midge having succeeded, but otherwise totally alone.

Although there's two lingering questions I have...

1. Through the early episodes of S5, they really put an emphasis on Rose messing some things up (especially the missing flight thing). I sincerely thought they were setting up some sort of Alzheimer's or dementia plotline, but nothing ever came of it. Even in her flash-forward, it seemed like she was just being financed to live out a fantasy of being successful, but again, they never elaborated on it. Am I the only one that got that reading from Rose's story this season?

2. Did Joel and Archie actually end up moving the Button Club's location? I sort of forgot about it after we're shown them touring the vacant convent or whatever, but then Joel later cuts a deal with Frank and Nicky where they can use his club as some sort of front (presumably). I would have imagined that the Chinese guys running the illegal gambling ring wouldn't have been too amenable to that, but I couldn't recall if they did end up moving it or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Doronin posted:

1. Through the early episodes of S5, they really put an emphasis on Rose messing some things up (especially the missing flight thing). I sincerely thought they were setting up some sort of Alzheimer's or dementia plotline, but nothing ever came of it. Even in her flash-forward, it seemed like she was just being financed to live out a fantasy of being successful, but again, they never elaborated on it. Am I the only one that got that reading from Rose's story this season?
There was a line in the flash-forward (in the... 70s? 80s? the one when they were filming the commercial) where Midge said something like "she doesn't have many years left" or something. They were sufficiently vague about it.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
Yeah, I caught that, too. I thought that maybe Midge would give at least one line about what the deal is. I think that scene was set in around 1972-73(?) so Rose, assuming she wasn't too far off of Abe's age, would have been in her mid-70s, at most, by then. Granted, life expectancy was lower back then, so I guess her passing away of "old age" would have made sense. But still, just felt like a weird turn for Rose considering how sharp she had been portrayed in earlier seasons.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
She didn’t actually mess up the flight, right? The whole thing with the flights was a setup by the other matchmakers to get her out of the picture while they blew up the place.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Anne Whateley posted:

She didn’t actually mess up the flight, right? The whole thing with the flights was a setup by the other matchmakers to get her out of the picture while they blew up the place.

Me making an “oh………” face, nodding

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
Ok, this prompted me to go back and read the s5e1 recaps, and I really don't know how I missed that it was just the other matchmakers loving with Rose. I wasn't even on my phone during that episode, at all. Wow... maybe my mind is deteriorating.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
On the penultimate episode and am feeling sad. This show isn't without its flaws, but there's nothing in media I love more than acting and dialogue, and the acting and dialogue throughout Mrs Maisel has been exceptional. There's never been anything quite like it, and I know there'll be nothing like it ever again.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Finally slogged to the final, I was putting it away because I don’t want this show to end. In the end, I kinda don’t know what the point of this series was. As fun as it was, it wasn’t a portrayal of anything real, as in standup just doesn’t work that way. You can draw parallels to real-life comediennes of the era, but that would also be stretching it.

What I’m left is is a love letter to New York and the era, an Allenesque snapshot with these tight and snappy dialogues that make it feel more like a theater play at times. And that would be great, if not for these sour last few episodes that show a trail of destruction Midge left behind her now that the parents are gone and how she ultimately ends up in an empty palace, but really living in a tiny wardrobe containing a TV set and a phone line to Suzie.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Midge and Susie watching jeopardy reminded me of Mel Brooks and Carl Reiner getting together to watch tv in real life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Final award season for this show. The directing nod is for the series finale. I think Rachel Brosnahan deserves it over Natasha Lyonne, but I haven't seen enough of the other comedies to weigh in further, apart from Ted Lasso, which is a massive turd of a show.

Best Comedy
“Abbott Elementary” (ABC)
“Barry” (HBO)
“The Bear” (FX)
“Jury Duty” (Amazon Freevee)
“The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel” (Prime Video)
“Only Murders in the Building” (Hulu)
“Ted Lasso” (Apple TV+)
“Wednesday” (Netflix)

Best Actress, Comedy
Christina Applegate, “Dead to Me”
Rachel Brosnahan, “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel”
Quinta Brunson, “Abbott Elementary”
Natasha Lyonne, “Poker Face”
Jenna Ortega, “Wednesday”

Supporting Actress, Comedy
Alex Borstein, “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel”
Ayo Edebiri, “The Bear”
Janelle James, “Abbott Elementary”
Sheryl Lee Ralph, “Abbott Elementary”
Juno Temple, “Ted Lasso”
Hannah Waddingham, “Ted Lasso”
Jessica Williams, “Shrinking”

Directing for a Comedy Series
Mary Lou Belli, “The Ms. Pat Show” (“Don’t Touch My Hair”)
Tim Burton, “Wednesday” (“Wednesday’s Child is Full of Woe”)
Bill Hader, “Barry” (“wow”)
Declan Lowney, “Ted Lasso” (“So Long, Farewell”)
Amy Sherman-Palladino, “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel” (“Four Minutes”)
Christopher Storer, “The Bear” (“Review”)

Guest Actor in a Comedy Series
Jon Bernthal (“The Bear”)
Luke Kirby (“The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel”)
Nathan Lane (“Only Murders In The Building”)
Pedro Pascal (“Saturday Night Live”)
Oliver Platt (“The Bear”)
Sam Richardson (“Ted Lasso”)

Outstanding Cinematography For A Series (One Hour)
Andor ("Rix Road")
The Crown
House Of The Dragon
The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
The Old Man
Wednesday

Vegetable fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jul 13, 2023