Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Title deciders, 6 pointers, squeaky bum time... April's gonna have all of this in spades, especially since we don't have any more lovely loving international breaks to sit through (however, lol shitaly).

Starting at the top:

One point separates them going into The Title Decider next weekend. These teams are going to play each other twice in the next two weeks and could potentially meet one more time in the CL final in May as they fight for the remaining 3 trophies. Liverpool have a tough set of fixtures this month and the mentality giants will require an extra level of clutch if they want to still be playing for (more) silverware next month.

The top 4 trophy:

Chelsea would seem to have 3rd pretty well wrapped up and Arsenal (with their two games in hand) are probably best situated to lift The Arsene Wenger Cup on 22 May. They do have the tougher fixtures in April though, with matches away to Chelsea and West Ham around a home match against Manchester United at the end of the month. West Ham are in the Europa League quarter finals so might falter in the home stretch with the extra matches.

AT THE BOTTOM:

Bye Norwich, when was the last time you even tried to win a football match? Sweet loving Christ it's about time Burnley's results matched their play, good riddance. Watford, please do the needful:

:pray::pray:

All you have to do Watford, all you have to do is take maybe 6-7 points from your last 7 matches and Everton are done. Look at these fixtures:

I don't really think we need to talk about Leeds or Newcastle going down anymore because again, look at Everton's fixtures and then look at loving Everton. The absolute state of them.

greazeball fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Frank Lampard is going to get Everton relegated

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Forgot some important info in the OP

https://i.imgur.com/384Aci6.mp4

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

vyelkin posted:

Frank Lampard is going to get Everton relegated
:pray:

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Bum status is squeaked. Everton and Leeds locked in a battle to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Brendan you got 2 Everton matches and a Watford coming and Leicester’s league position does not matter please do the needful.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

the sex ghost posted:

Bum status is squeaked. Everton and Leeds locked in a battle to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory

Jesse will train them in the ways of clutch, you'll be fine

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

From the end of the March thread:

quote:

The safety-net approach to giving big clubs with historic success a second chance of qualifying - while denying it to smaller clubs - has caused outrage among some. The West Ham vice-chairman Karren Brady said that change of heart over co-efficient places by Uefa president Aleksander Ceferin was “Putin-esque”. Writing in The Sun...
I'm actually all for the 'Historical Spots' award now for the updated Champion's League, let's go

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

in honestly really lovely news https://twitter.com/theeuropeanlad/status/1510724035986038799?s=21&t=rXSOposagySdB26Tdx70eQ

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Had to do a double take on his name over his shoulder

tilp
Apr 7, 2010

Vinestalk posted:

Had to do a double take on his name over his shoulder

LOL

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

https://twitter.com/JamesPearceLFC/status/1511302689514262531

welp

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Be honest: Is there a non-welp option?

Myssu
Sep 19, 2012

TheRat posted:

I think not having 2 mancs reffing the game would be a good start.

Tierney has been particularly shocking this year in ways which always seem to favour city.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
getting the excuses in early I see

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

TheRat posted:

Not exactly a high bar but Michael Oliver is pretty much the only decent and consistent ref in the Premiership imo

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Lmao Liverpool has consistently benefited from marginal calls and VAR :qq:

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Liverpool should preemptively forfeit to protest their inevitable unjust treatment by the officiating

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Blinkz0rz posted:

Lmao Liverpool has consistently benefited from marginal calls and VAR :qq:
I’ll have you know that Liverpool are first in the scientific non-VAR table (unclear if there’s a trophy for that).

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

TheRat posted:

i'll do it if I can work remotely and put a chinese on expenses

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Tierney out for the season and Partey for some time it looks like, Arsenal unlikely to get 4th now.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

T Bowl posted:

Tierney out for the season and Partey for some time it looks like, Arsenal unlikely to get 4th now.

:negative: gently caress

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

T Bowl posted:

Tierney out for the season

Is this why he's on VAR for the Liverpool match?

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

The Perfect Element posted:

Is this why he's on VAR for the Liverpool match?

I know their kind all look alike, but they're different people.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Dear god that's a lovely table. It's not even no-VAR, it's literally them making up a result by deciding for themselves what would have happened had the first VAR call in a match gone the other way.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

I like Dele Alli. He seems to be living his best life.

Speaking of Everton, I wonder if the other clubs staring down relegation are going to start suing. Their finances are pretty suspect. This piece goes into more detail.

https://www.goodisonnews.com/2022/04/04/everton-could-face-court-battles-if-they-stay-in-premier-league-after-expert-view-on-sunday/

quote:

If it is subsequently found, this season or next, that the club has made too many allowances for themselves by claiming a huge number was due to Covid, there may be trouble ahead.

The University of Liverpool-based expert Kieran Maguire said on The Price of Football podcast that Everton say it cost them £170million, compared to Sheffield United who said their number was £21million, and Aston Villa’s Covid-losses of £56million.

Perhaps the Premier League accepts the numbers coming out of Goodison, but Dr Wilson admits that while all clubs will be offsetting losses to costs this way, “we have not seen it before on this scale”.

He said: “Nothing like this, but then Covid was unprecedented. The Premier League will have to decide what it is prepared to bear.

“They are going to be very fortunate if they do not get sanctioned because the losses are significant. It will be skin of the teeth stuff.”

If punishment eventually does come down, that could open the club up to the likes of Norwich and Watford coming after them, so the issue may not go away for considerable time.

Here's a link to the Esk, who I think is respected in Everton fan circles, doing a deep dive into Everton's recent financial disclosures: https://theesk.org/2022/04/02/a-deeper-delve-into-evertons-2020-21-accounts-new-100-million-shareholder-loan-plus-the-covid-impact/

Eric Cantonese fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Apr 6, 2022

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/apr/05/frank-lampard-says-schedule-could-harm-evertons-survival-prospects

Everyone's fault but Fat Frank's.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Still need him to blame the weather to get a full house on lampard excuse bingo

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

As funny as Everton getting relegated might be, Burnley can't score and Watford seem to have too much ground to catch up on. Norwich are doomed and seem resigned to it. I think Everton will squeak this out. Not sure what is in store for them next season, though.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
I hope they keep up so Lampard will stay on as manager. Imagine the damage he could do with a full pre-season.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Eric Cantonese posted:

As funny as Everton getting relegated might be, Burnley can't score and Watford seem to have too much ground to catch up on. Norwich are doomed and seem resigned to it. I think Everton will squeak this out. Not sure what is in store for them next season, though.

If Burnley can get a win at home tonight, they'll be one point behind them and Everton's remaining matches are really tough. It's a huge match tonight for both of them.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Eric Cantonese posted:

I think they'll go down, tbh. Their squad is probably capable of winning a few games, but they're not showing anything at the minute.

As greazeball said, it could be 1 point between them and Burnley after tonight's game with both of them on the same games. Watford have played a couple more, but I'm not sure if I see Everton having a better record for the rest of the season looking at the fixtures for all three teams:

Watford:

Burnley:

Everton:

Everton's run in is a stinker. They all play each other though, so those games will be huge.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Survival Sunday on the 22nd is going to be a belter. Footage of anxious fans trying to get the mobile data working in the stands to find out the other scores, maybe an Everton equivalent of that one crying Leeds kid (monitor is on)

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

That assumes Burnley are going to win and I don't think they're going to win. At worst, they draw, since Burnley really just don't seem to be able to score goals.

Lampard has flaws, but I think he's at least roused enough fan positivity (which I think has been a major issue for Everton since Moyes' departure) to ride this out.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Eric Cantonese posted:

That assumes Burnley are going to win and I don't think they're going to win. At worst, they draw, since Burnley really just don't seem to be able to score goals.

Lampard has flaws, but I think he's at least roused enough fan positivity (which I think has been a major issue for Everton since Moyes' departure) to ride this out.

Yeah, if Everton win tonight that's huge. A draw doesn't change much and those games between the three of them would probably decide it in that case.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

According to https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/60975334 a draw tonight would be the best away result since Fat Frank started

quote:

Everton have lost all five away games they have played under Lampard in the Premier League and FA Cup, and have picked up only six points on the road all season.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Eric Cantonese posted:

I like Dele Alli. He seems to be living his best life.

There was a weird bit on the West Ham Way podcast this week where they started talking about him having "off-field problems" then a sudden cut, not sure if it was just a weird edit around one of the host's permanent connection problems or if they got cold feet about libel. Is it just the normal sex and drugs and rock and roll poo poo that Next Big Thing English footballers always seem to fall into, or does someone know if there's something darker/deeper there?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

goddamnedtwisto posted:

There was a weird bit on the West Ham Way podcast this week where they started talking about him having "off-field problems" then a sudden cut, not sure if it was just a weird edit around one of the host's permanent connection problems or if they got cold feet about libel. Is it just the normal sex and drugs and rock and roll poo poo that Next Big Thing English footballers always seem to fall into, or does someone know if there's something darker/deeper there?

"off-field problems" is code for gaming

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

Mechafunkzilla posted:

"off-field problems" is code for gaming

what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014