Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Yuta will tear off his BCC shirt to reveal a BC shirt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

SG Bamboo posted:

Yuta will tear off his BCC shirt to reveal a BC shirt

you take that back

Sooper Gila
Apr 23, 2014

Love
Peace
and Harmony
yeah this was a really good show, I almost went out for biryani instead of watching it live, glad I changed my mind.

Jerusalem posted:

One of the best things about this is that Switchblade Jay White is legit one of the few people in New Japan who I think might actually beat Okada for the title. There is a kind of air of inevitability to a lot of Okada's matches (and well deserved) but Jay has continually managed to maintain an aura of being a guy who will steal your thunder and take your glory when you are at your highest.

It's kind of twisted in that I love Okada as the ace and enjoy it most of the time, but I would enjoy his matches with someone at Naito's level more if I thought there was a greater chance Naito might win. I always hold out that ten percent chance of the upset, because Gedo does pull that out and pull it off every year or so, and better than any booker I've ever seen. When Shingo beat Okada for the belt last year I actually jumped out of my seat as I didn't think that was something that was ever going to happen, just as one example. Jay turns that all upside down because he's show he can beat anyone.

I'm also really curious how this crosses-over with AEW once Kenny comes back, considering how much Jay hates Ibushi.

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

New Japan did a big show revolving entirely around the Bullet Club in 2022 and it loving owned

What is happening

They gonna get that 2017 T-shirt money again at the AEW/ROH shows.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I kinda wish I had the mindset of those of you who went into that with no doubt Okada was winning because I'm heartbroken right now

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

jay white being completely helpless against god mode ibushi and realizing nothing he could throw at him was going to work remains my favorite g1 match ever

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

I kinda wish I had the mindset of those of you who went into that with no doubt Okada was winning because I'm heartbroken right now

theres always the intercontinental championship!

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

a day ago i thought naito was winning. by the time the match started with the bullet club theme i realzied a change prob wasn't happening. think naito beating jay at the dome is a possibility tho

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

STONE COLD 64 posted:

jay white being completely helpless against god mode ibushi and realizing nothing he could throw at him was going to work remains my favorite g1 match ever

Their WK match where Jay was begging Gedo to tell him what to do owned too

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I haven't watched NJPW since Wrestle Kingdom 15 but seeing the chatter on Twitter has me thinking I should check this show out. Was it a good show overall, or just had some cool surprises?

Ganso Bomb fucked around with this message at 14:17 on May 1, 2022

Sooper Gila
Apr 23, 2014

Love
Peace
and Harmony

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Their WK match where Jay was begging Gedo to tell him what to do owned too

my memory of them blurs together, if this is the one where after the match Jay regains consciousness and still thinks he's champ followed by the backstage tear-soaked temper tantrum then it's the greatest poo poo ever.

Honestly I'll be surprised if Okada loses the title any time in the next year or two with the way they're invoking Inoki, positioning him as the unbeatable ace seems to be the strategy to get attendance back up. I can't really blame them for that even if I'd much rather Naito finally had a solid run on top with quality opponents.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Ganso Bomb posted:

I haven't watched NJPW since Wrestle Kingdom 15 but seeing the chatter on Twitter has me thinking I should check this show out. Was it a good show overall, or just had some cool surprises?

It ruled

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Ganso Bomb posted:

Matches were all good to great bar Hiromu vs YOH

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Ganso Bomb posted:

I know New Japan can be a slog, I've given up watching full shows outside of a few exceptions. But they are still putting on bangers. I looked at my spreadsheet & have 14 NJPW MOTYCs, & that's without having seen this show yet. Plus 20 HMs. (Albeit also 3 WMOTYCs which is second only to AEW). Only other company with double figure MOTYCs so far for me is NOAH. (AJPW have 9, Stardom 8, AEW 7) Although I am a month behind on AEW now.

The top of the card still rules, even if Jado vs Chase Owens was a crime.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHzje7YyR1A&t=171s

Juice explaining his actions.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

I feel you! I mean I knew but Naito convinced me otherwise during the match. Which is why he's great.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

I do not understand why folks adore Naito so much. Is it just… an intangible “it” factor or something?

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

the escape goat posted:

I do not understand why folks adore Naito so much. Is it just… an intangible “it” factor or something?

I'm just one guy but: he's maybe just above average as an athlete on the NJPW scale. However, he is masterful at telling you what he's feeling at every moment. This is in constant tension with the Tranquilo gimmick, which requires him to consistently mask what he's feeling if he wants to win, because his feelings are always his downfall. I don't think many wrestlers could resolve that tension, but Naito's good enough to both stay Tranquilo while still telling us what's going on underneath.

Further, this dichotomy is the most interesting when he's wrestling someone who really is tranquil and placid most of the time, like Okada. It's fun watching Naito screw with someone emotional, because he's able to show us that he cares a lot about winning while pretending he's just loving around to piss off whoever, but it's great watching Naito when he can't be a troll. It's that much harder for him to walk the line he needs to walk. Resolving all that tension makes for a great skeleton to hang a match on.

So yeah pretty much intangibles.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!
What are the must watch matches on this card? Trying to get back into New Japan with my usual AEW watching crew.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

El Generico posted:

What are the must watch matches on this card? Trying to get back into New Japan with my usual AEW watching crew.

Really only the last two, but if you can stretch it then Desperado/Ishimori is also well worth the watch. Evil/Tama was good, but the impact would definitely be lessened if this is your first show for a while. Be warned though, it is still a clap crowd which is a stark difference from AEW shows

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

El Generico posted:

Watch from the intermission if you have the time. If not the last two matches are the best

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Thanlis posted:

I'm just one guy but: he's maybe just above average as an athlete on the NJPW scale. However, he is masterful at telling you what he's feeling at every moment. This is in constant tension with the Tranquilo gimmick, which requires him to consistently mask what he's feeling if he wants to win, because his feelings are always his downfall. I don't think many wrestlers could resolve that tension, but Naito's good enough to both stay Tranquilo while still telling us what's going on underneath.

Further, this dichotomy is the most interesting when he's wrestling someone who really is tranquil and placid most of the time, like Okada. It's fun watching Naito screw with someone emotional, because he's able to show us that he cares a lot about winning while pretending he's just loving around to piss off whoever, but it's great watching Naito when he can't be a troll. It's that much harder for him to walk the line he needs to walk. Resolving all that tension makes for a great skeleton to hang a match on.

So yeah pretty much intangibles.

I really appreciate how in-depth this is! thank you!

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Naito used to have a whitemeat babyface gimmick, the Stardust Genius, which did not get over despite his best efforts, so his metamorphosis into Tranquilo Naito was nothing short of a complete reinvention of himself. I like him a lot because he may not be the fastest, the strongest, or even the most talented at wrestling, but he just gives a whole lot of fucks about winning, more than anyone. He's just extremely relatable and kids also love him.

Pistol Packin Poet
Nov 5, 2012

Everyone needs an
escape goat!
So no Evil or ELP in BC at the end?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Pistol Packin Poet posted:

So no Evil or ELP in BC at the end?

EL-P was booked elsewhere that night.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Jay White also mentioned El-P to the camera on his way back up the ramp. Something to the effect of "I didn't forget about you buddy!"

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Yeah, EL-P and Bey are still in Jay's Bullet Club. I'd expect more splitting from EVIL and HOT though.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

JUICE NOOOOOOOOOO

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Pylons posted:

EL-P was booked elsewhere that night.

It cracks me up that he was busy sucking down a pin against my local indie’s ring announcer.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Thanlis posted:

It cracks me up that he was busy sucking down a pin against my local indie’s ring announcer.

Ethan HD shoulda gotten involved and taken out both of those dang jobbers 😤

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

the escape goat posted:

Ethan HD shoulda gotten involved and taken out both of those dang jobbers 😤

Ethan is the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The real wildcard is KENTA whenever he's healed up.