Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

canepazzo posted:

Got mine and it's extremely high quality. I'm glad the reference guide is the same size as the standard book (Ironsworn's is A4 format so it really clashes on the shelf), also the asset cards are great.

Just got mine and can definitely confirm the quality is good. I wonder if it just went through Modiphius's production line since they're publishing it?

My expectations were some kinda meh quality and this blew that away. Comparing this to my hardback POD Ironsworn is no contest.

Edit: it's kinda impossible to open the asset deck box without ripping the thing though.

Drone fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Nov 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Drone posted:

Edit: it's kinda impossible to open the asset deck box without ripping the thing though.

Yeah the box itself sucks, i ordered me one of these as a safeguard.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

While musing on doing a new fantasy game using Starforged, I realized that the Cohort Asset from the Sundered Isles preview materials would be perfect for having a character who frequently travels in a party with fellow adventurers.

Now if only I could figure decide on a means of doing a spell caster that my nebulous wants are satisfied with.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

A small preview Shawn posted on the discord:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Xposting:

I may have found it here, but sharing this great resource for Starforged/Ironsworn/general oracles. I've been using it on the iPad while traveling and it's really fantastic.

https://nboughton.uk/apps/

You can save them as an applet on IOS or get the desktop versions. Really nice work if you don't mind using digital tools.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Oh yeah Iron Journal and Stargazer are great, been using them for ages.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Is there an estimated release for Sundered Isles

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

starforged arrived and it's gorgeous but it reiterates that every RPG book should be spiral bound.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The spiral bound book is not great though. The pages feel pretty thin and fragile.

Also, the weird obsession with assets being card only and not referenced anywhere in the books sucks too. They're dry erase, but for long term tracking that obviously won't stay unless you sleeve them or something? So you still have to note your assets elsewhere. It's a weird mix of physical components and information. I just end up copying them in full on the back of character sheets. They are high quality cards at least.

The main book itself is great, no issues with that.

Torches Upon Stars
Jan 17, 2015

The future is bright.
Yeah, if you write down assets on index cards then when you homebrew your own assets suitable to your personal campaign it'll be practically indistinguishable, you can name and doodle an associated relic on the back, and if you use paper clips to track health and supply, you can attach those cards to the character sheet when not in use.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah that's a good way. I also thought of trying wet erase markers on them and seeing how that holds up.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

So I'm reading through Starforged and came upon the character creation passage for backstory which struck me as unnecessarily restrictive. It essentially says that your character doesn't have a home and you (must?) play as some transient hobo. What is the purpose of this directive? Why shouldn't or couldn't you play the game with a home base or community in mind? Ironsworn did not prescribe anything like this. I realize you can play the game however, but I'd really like to understand the author's intent here.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I could ask Shawn in the Ironsworn Discord if you’d like, or you can do so yourself! He’s very open about discussing his games and is a pretty great and chill person. He is pretty active in the discord.

My guess would be because it helps establish a tone and a reason for your character to go out and be an adventurous sort rather than just sit back and be comfortable and safe. I am sure though that he’d be the first to tell you to do things however you like as he made sure to include encouragement to that end in the book itself.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I think it's more mechanical than tone based, as many of the Moves are based around travel and journeying. The game will make things happen more as you use the Exploration moves.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jan 4, 2023

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Now that fufillment of Starforged has been mostly wrapped up Shawn has been working on Sundered Isles the last couple weeks and he's putting out a bunch of new assets and the first half or so of the supplement's "getting started" chapter.

Sundered Isles Change Log posted:

2/15/23
New asset drafts:
- Overlander
Layout updates to Setting Sail preview (shifting to wirebound layout template)
Minor content updates to Setting Sail preview

2/13/23
New asset drafts:
- Musician
Updated character sheet PDF with color and rich gray versions

2/12/23
New asset drafts:
- Companion / Dolphin
- Path / Urchin

2/11/23
Added illustrated character sheet (printer-friendly version – variations coming soon)

2/10/23
Misc asset content updates
New asset drafts:
- Module / Armored Prow
- Module / Harpoon Cannon
- Module / Ironclad (revised)

2/9/23
New asset drafts:
- Companion / Jungle Cat
- Companion / Parrot

2/6/23
New asset drafts:
- Support Vehicle / Flying Machine
- Path / Cutthroat
- Path / Sorcerer
- Path / Windwright
Asset updates:
- Companion / Dragon - Adjusted ability #1 to avoid overlap with Flying Machine
- Support Vehicle / Longboat - changed from 3 to 4 integrity

2/5/23
New asset drafts:
- Support Vehicle / Diving Bell
- Support Vehicle / Longboat

2/4/23
New asset drafts:
- Path / Harpooner
- Companion / Dragon

2/3/23
Renamed “Seaborn” asset to “Seadog”
New asset drafts:
- Module / Figurehead
- Path / Deck Clearer
- Path / Musketeer
- Path / Pistoleer
- Companion / Monkey

2/2/23
Asset design updates (in progress)
New asset drafts:
- Deed / Damned

1/29/23
Preview of work-in-progress Chapter 2
Exercise: Choose your realm

I love most of the new assets, and a few of them even have introduced some new mechanics not seen in previous assets, such as Deckclearer (you have a very nasty blunderbuss or similar man-portable heavy gun) which can only be fired once during a fight unless you score a hit on a Gain Ground move and give up one of the usual benefit choices to reload it.

I've actually started a test game of SI and I'm having a fun time so far on my inciting incident (taking over a ship via mutiny and sailing to freedom) thanks to the dramatics of a few well timed misses with match.

I also immensely appreciate this:

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Shawn is a good dude and I'm particularly impressed with how little of a gently caress he gives about offending lovely people, even if those lovely people are would-be customers.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

Yeah it's good to be explicit about this considering the setting.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Thirded, this is great, mindful, and the absolute baseline of consideration that games should show when they want to only depict the cool fun bits of historical settings.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Shawn is a good dude and I'm particularly impressed with how little of a gently caress he gives about offending lovely people, even if those lovely people are would-be customers.

Dude’s got a successful career that has nothing to do with RPGs, he’s made it clear he’s way more motivated to making a thing he wants to play than in making any money.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ShutteredIn posted:

Dude’s got a successful career that has nothing to do with RPGs, he’s made it clear he’s way more motivated to making a thing he wants to play than in making any money.

What’s his main gig? He writes and explains super, super well so I’ve always wondered.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

Subjunctive posted:

What’s his main gig? He writes and explains super, super well so I’ve always wondered.

Graphic/web design of some sort.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/ShawnTomkin/status/1627521851244306432
Posted because these both look like interesting assets. The kraken could make for some really interesting reskins in other stuff, like if you want to play a cultist for a dark god, or if you want an alternative version of the wyvern that's planning to eat you on a mechanical level.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Now that fufillment of Starforged has been mostly wrapped up Shawn has been working on Sundered Isles the last couple weeks and he's putting out a bunch of new assets and the first half or so of the supplement's "getting started" chapter.

I love most of the new assets, and a few of them even have introduced some new mechanics not seen in previous assets, such as Deckclearer (you have a very nasty blunderbuss or similar man-portable heavy gun) which can only be fired once during a fight unless you score a hit on a Gain Ground move and give up one of the usual benefit choices to reload it.

I've actually started a test game of SI and I'm having a fun time so far on my inciting incident (taking over a ship via mutiny and sailing to freedom) thanks to the dramatics of a few well timed misses with match.

I also immensely appreciate this:

based

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

A neat little tidbit from the Ironsworn Discord:

Shawn Tomkin posted:

Q: Ironsworn 2e?
A: Yes! Currently in (very early) development.

Q: When will this be released?
A: Tentatively 2025.

Q: Will this be Starforged reskinned for fantasy?
A: No. It will take some lessons and incorporate some improvements or lessons-learned from Starforged, but will be its own thing.

Q: Why bother?
A: A good question! Ironsworn was my first game, and was a solo effort. I think there's value in a more polished, mature version. New art. Upgrades to presentation and layout. Cleaner explanations. Better production quality. Refinements to rules and mechanics. A definitive edition, if you will.

Q: What about Delve?
A: Plans are to directly incorporate Delve-style exploration mechanics and oracles.

Q: Anything else?
A: Yep!
Expanded oracles, particularly for locations and journeys.
Settlements as havens that can be improved through the character's efforts.
A timeline jump that looks at the future of the Ironlands, with refugees and firstborn coming together to rebuild and recover following a dark age.
Revised and expanded character assets.
An alternate, streamlined set of rules for "Ironsworn light."
More stuff that I am forgetting to mention

Q: Can I playtest?
A: Probably! As with other releases, there will be an extended cycle of previews and playtests, starting later this year (2023). Stay tuned.

Q: Does this mean I shouldn't spend money on Ironsworn hardcopies and/or that my Ironsworn 1e purchase is worthless?
A: That's ultimately for you to decide, but I hope not! Ironsworn is a pretty cool game as it stands, and there will undoubtedly be interesting and useful content that doesn't make it into a 2e. Plus, it's available now, and supports my ongoing creative efforts, whereas a prospective Ironsworn 2e is decidedly in the future. Finally, if you choose not to invest in 2e, there will be free resources that provide everything you need to take advantage of any enhancements and give you a 1e > 2e onramp.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

Cool. I like the low fantasy setting more than anything so it's good to see original Ironsworn getting attention.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Spreadsheeting a base building concept is extremely my jam and a natural fit for a solo game. Very cool to see him working on that.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

I've been playing this solo a bit recently using the very nice roll20 character sheet to keep track of things and it's really cool. I'd definitely recommend the Delve expansion as I think the mechanics it adds really flesh out the game and adds a lot of variety.

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!
I'm still fairly new to Ironsworn, and I wanted to ask others who have been playing longer to clarify "weak hits"
in my game, I rolled to "undertake a journey" and rolled a weak hit, according to rules of ironsworn, this is noted as

quote:

"On a weak hit, the information complicates your quest or introduces a new danger. Envision what you discover (Ask the Oracle if unsure), and take +1 momentum."

After consulting with the oracle, I came up with my character finding a map that shows there are more raiders than we anticipated.

I'm just stuck on how I am supposed to express this in game. Does a weak hit and this oracle outcome mean I should... encounter raiders soon? or more often? or what exactly? how do I apply the negative aspect of the weak hit? is it just narration? Is it up to me? What would you do?

Do you sometimes note down things like this, and then apply them later? or do you tend to apply it straight away?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Short answer, it's up to you.

If I were traveling alone, I might choose to take a different route to avoid the raiders. Maybe simulate with an extra stop/minor challenge along the way, since you'd be traveling a rougher path.

I don't think I'd necessarily increase the danger level of a raider party, if I encountered one, seems too punitive for a weak hit.

If your character is disheartened by this, you might take a spirit hit.

Or you could just make a note, that in case you encounter raiders, there are going to be more than the usual number. Or greater chance of an encounter.

Just knowing this information can color a future roll or encounter.

Or, you may want to notify a local village, give them the map you've found.

Or, no effect at all! Either ignore the effect of the weak hit or use it solely for flavor. When I get stuck on interpreting, sometimes I'll re roll, sometimes I'll just move on.

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!

doctorfrog posted:

Short answer, it's up to you.

Thanks for this, I was getting too caught up in the mechanical details obviously

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

feverish and oversexed posted:

I'm still fairly new to Ironsworn, and I wanted to ask others who have been playing longer to clarify "weak hits"
in my game, I rolled to "undertake a journey" and rolled a weak hit, according to rules of ironsworn, this is noted as

After consulting with the oracle, I came up with my character finding a map that shows there are more raiders than we anticipated.

I'm just stuck on how I am supposed to express this in game. Does a weak hit and this oracle outcome mean I should... encounter raiders soon? or more often? or what exactly? how do I apply the negative aspect of the weak hit? is it just narration? Is it up to me? What would you do?

Do you sometimes note down things like this, and then apply them later? or do you tend to apply it straight away?

The Bad Spot has a good video about this topic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jc6Zxe5fQgs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Ironsworn Delve is going to be free tomorrow for Free RPG Day.