Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
https://twitter.com/spectatorindex/status/1532138065200054273

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

I have not lost a child, thank gently caress, but my understanding is that you never stop grieving. I know I wouldn't.

The dinosaur coffin from the end of the last thread got me. My little boy loves dinosaurs.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Jesus loving christ.

It should still be kosher to tar and feather public officials. gently caress this guy.

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

https://twitter.com/mikejason73/status/1532158972257509378?s=20

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Whoa Phil Hellmuth for once not the biggest loser at a table.

https://twitter.com/tedcruz/status/1532127156142235652

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I want to reply to that with something very rude (not goatse) but that would mean possibly interacting with Ted Cruz so I'll go punch a wall instead.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
He's got the worst face in the room.

I mean in general, not just his inability in keeping his hand remotely secret. It's like watching a twitter feed of his insecurity on his forehead, though.

I hate ted cruz, but I enjoy when he embarrasses himself. I hope he joins the Impractical Jokers when someone primaries his rear end someday, so I can finally just block truTV and never have to see him again.

Politicians are just bad poker players anyhow, cruz just takes it to a new low.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Eej posted:

I didn't follow the trial so I am actually surprised that writing a letter about your abuser you don't name can get you fined $10 million dollars

It didn’t help that she testified that the op-ed was in fact about Johnny Depp and one of the statements being questioned stated “two years ago…” which was the time frame between her getting a restraining order and the their divorce being finalized.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
All I know about the Depp/Heard poo poo is it's rich people trading money and appealing until they're basically fighting for which attorney is getting all of it.

I did laugh when they fled Australia years ago because they had illegally smuggled in their dogs.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

mark my words, i am going to make a (potential) emote of a "days since last shooting" sign

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I'm assuming there's a series of First Lady commemorative stamps being issued or something, but people are getting angry at this one because they heard about it out of context.

Of course, if they're just doing a one-off of Nancy Reagan, that's still some :wtf:

as far as i can tell it's a one-off thing:

quote:

First lady Jill Biden next week will help unveil a new postal stamp to honor former first lady Nancy Reagan, the White House announced Wednesday.

Biden will host the event on Monday at the White House. She’ll be joined by Postmaster General Louis DeJoy; Fred Ryan, the Chairman of the Board of Trustees at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Foundation; and Anne Peterson, who is Nancy Reagan’s niece.

A handful of other first ladies have been honored with U.S. Postal Service stamps, including Eleanor Roosevelt, Martha Washington, Dolley Madison and Lady Bird Johnson.

and the full* list of first ladies on stamps:

quote:

Martha Washington (1902)
Eleanor Roosevelt (1963)
Dolley Madison (1980)
Abigail Adams (1985)
Lady Bird Johnson (2012)
(* based on looking up stamps on wikipedia)

so, no, just another completely out of touch biden thing

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Zamujasa posted:

mark my words, i am going to make a (potential) emote of a "days since last shooting" sign

We already have this.

"0"

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

bird food bathtub posted:

We already have this.

"0"

:america:

Zamujasa fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jun 2, 2022

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
We're averaging 1.5 mass shootings a day this year. We're on track to hit 500.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

https://twitter.com/Anna_Giaritelli/status/1532081283915988992
https://twitter.com/gmaninfedland/status/1532015119114375170

lol

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Zamujasa posted:

so, no, just another completely out of touch biden thing

Probably more DeJoy than Biden.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
what was the reason dejoy wasn't immediately shitcanned from the usps again

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Zamujasa posted:

what was the reason dejoy wasn't immediately shitcanned from the usps again

Because Biden doesn’t want him gone.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
sigh

for some reason i thought there was some procedural bullshit involved in ejecting him that was preventing it. guess not

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Can anyone explain how this is an upgrade from medieval fiefs?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Zamujasa posted:

sigh

for some reason i thought there was some procedural bullshit involved in ejecting him that was preventing it. guess not

The procedural bullshit is that the president cannot directly fire the Postmaster General.

But when the president controls the makeup of the board that does have that power, and he appoints people who will not fire the PG, it’s because the president wants the PG to stay.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe

facialimpediment posted:

Meanwhile a dumbfuck resigned and I hope she gets hit by a scooter for the damage her dumbfuck company did to society

https://twitter.com/tsimonite/status/1532092533534208005?t=19o0zuH4Uv1eFkxjhPP1Mw&s=19
Lean Forward into destroying the human race

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

It looks like that officer, from Conroe, Texas, 300 miles away from Uvalde, recently shaved-off a mullet.

Similarly that is a cop SUV from Port Corpus Christi, 200 miles away.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

We're averaging 1.5 mass shootings a day this year. We're on track to hit 500.

between this and there apparently being three different shootings today!?

i made a sped up one, to which someone posted

this truly is america.gif

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Truly, a :turboamerica:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
or as it turns out :blastu: :murica:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Marshal Prolapse posted:

No, that’s a fair point. I guess part of the problem is divorcing the individual case from the wide social implications, that’s just the lawyer in me wanting to approach the case and only the case. But yeah I think there is a valid concern that this could lead to more problems for women to come forward. One problem is that there is a failure to acknowledge that domestic abuse against males do happen, while admittedly not at the same rate, and there are instances where people lie, though not as much as people think, I think the stat that I often hear is 3%. I feel like if I heard that I’d have far less concerns or that both sides can be at equal fault, but I’m also realistic too and I understand why it’s not a huge focus or talked about except as a case that is a fairly fringe occurrence.

Ah came across this for some more data on this point

https://twitter.com/ejdickson/status/1532124143403032578

https://twitter.com/ejdickson/status/1532124887111933952

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Eej posted:

Ah came across this for some more data on this point (etc)

Everyone knows what happens to female victims of abuse in the media. There is literally nothing to be gained from it unless you are, in fact, the absolutely *perfect* victim, and if Amber Heard had been closer to that ideal, she may have been treated more humanely. But she's not, because she has mental illness issues, and allegedly engaged in abusive behaviour, herself.

A note on that:

Being driven to act in abusive or "outwardly insane" ways towards an abuser can and does happen. A lot. It's documented. There's plenty of info on it out there to be seen.

The problem comes in when we start talking about stripping away the layers of 'perfect victim' Heard *does* have: she's white, she's very classically attractive, she's young, she's RICH, etcetera. If *she* can't be believed, with a mountain of evidence in comparison to a lot of other cut and dry DV cases, like-- with this precedent, people with even more intersections of marginalized identities - all those things that make you *im*perfect as a victim, like being something other than chronically melanin deficient - don't have a loving prayer.

EDIT: If you see people showing up to very passionately argue Heard's side of things, most of the time, this is the reason. And it's extremely troubling to see this ruling so close to the leaked Roe decision.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Jun 2, 2022

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

When it comes to a Nancy stamp, just say no.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

This is entirely the motivation behind every one of the johnny depp "cheerleaders".

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Wasabi the J posted:

This is entirely the motivation behind every one of the johnny depp "cheerleaders".

Every cheerleader that is in my social media circle is a woman. And some of them have been victims of abuse themselves. So I doubt very much that they were chomping at the bit to make it easier for men to get away with abuse.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Zamujasa posted:

The procedural stuff has been cited before, but as poo poo as DeJoy is, he was pretty critical in lobbying the Republicans to literally save the post office in the reform bill that got passed. Biden just got a board majority in mid-May, but I doubt he's paying that much attention on that stuff now that the bill got past.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

That’s entirely likely. Granted anything on this subject coming from Rolling Stone is kind of ironic. I don’t mean this as an attempt to discredit the issue, just to poo poo on Rolling Stone and the morons who work there like Matty T.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jun 2, 2022

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

CainFortea posted:

Every cheerleader that is in my social media circle is a woman. And some of them have been victims of abuse themselves. So I doubt very much that they were chomping at the bit to make it easier for men to get away with abuse.

It's hard to overstate the sheer amount of posion and vitriol getting pumped out through TikTok and other platforms. That's where the 'celebrity' side came in. The obsession with dunking on Heard was genuinely one of those 'the internet is going to look back on this and feel weird about it' moments, because it was and still is thoroughly unhinged.

That being said, women are often at odds about rape and abuse issues even when we're not being bombarded by random media blitzes. The most extreme example being that some the most violent and outspoken domestic terrorists in the forced birth and antifeminist movements happen to have been women.

We're no more a monolith than any other demo, and we're just as prone to speaking out against our own best interests for any number of reasons.

EDIT: edited language since my tone was reading dickish, sorry, I'm half-awake

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jun 2, 2022

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

A domestic violence case is what drove me to quit being a criminal defense attorney. It all sucks so bad.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Mr. Nice! posted:

A domestic violence case is what drove me to quit being a criminal defense attorney. It all sucks so bad.

Literally the only thing I ever did I that really felt good about during my short time as a cop was arrest and help convict this psycho on his like 5 DV charge. Also a racist, he actually flagged us down screaming "these hard-rs broke my glasses," turned out it was because a bunch of black teenagers on vacation saw him beating his wife, stopped him, he said exactly what you think he said to them, and then they kicked his rear end. Thankfully they got away before we got there because while I could never prove it I'm 100% sure the more senior guy I was with was racist as gently caress and would have written them up on assault charges.

The particular state law had a shall-arrest clause that his defense attorney misunderstood that kicks in if there are visible enough physical injuries, and the attorney thought he had some sort of angle when I was on the stand because the physical injuries I cited were deep scratches she made on him while he attacked her. It doesn't say anywhere in that particular state's law that the injuries have to be on the victim. I said that when he asked me why I arrested his client and watched him like spiritually deflate when he realized they had gone for broke on that.

On top of that his wife had already divorced him and was no longer stuck in the cycle of abuse by the time he was convicted, she found me outside the courthouse and while I braced for her to go off on me (which is more typical with longer term abusive relationships) she was actually happy that he was finally going to prison.

Anyway the criminal justice system is a factory of injustice and human misery but at least in that one case something kinda just happened.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
American media and its consumers are deranged

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Question: why would the depp/herd thing affect domestic violence issues? I assume the vast majority of those cases arent a defamation issue?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

High profile, will help cement the "women will always lose" belief I guess

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Defenestrategy posted:

Question: why would the depp/herd thing affect domestic violence issues? I assume the vast majority of those cases arent a defamation issue?

It can be used as a cudgel. The Rush Hour director filed a bunch of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
It won't effect poo poo. It's a side show from the rest of the news, a soap opera of millionaires fighting to protect their egos. People love when rich celebrities air their dirty laundry (or sheets), that's all. Nothing will come of it.