Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

shame on an IGA posted:

hooohooo CNBC dropped another incarnation of the perennial "how to budget 4 dumdum poors who only make $50k" articles let's take a look

tag urself I'm the $100 gasoline month

Healthcare is automatically covered at no expense for Americans, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

facialimpediment posted:

Idgaf about any of this poo poo but apparently lots of people like my mom do so here you go or some poo poo

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1532081015744712705?t=2ZK3tkuEzyudtruEnO52rA&s=19

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7QZgH1eP2o

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Can anyone explain how this is an upgrade from medieval fiefs?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I misread that and thought a teenager had been beaten by the cops, won a $50 million lawsuit, then became sheriff and for some reason was ultra draconian.

Wouldn't be out of line for Texas - the current governor was injured in an accident, won a multimillion dollar settlement that set him up for life, then got into politics and limited the payouts from injury lawsuits.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

bulletsponge13 posted:

That SEAL commentary angers me beyond rational levels.

It's like being lectured on cooking by Jeffy Dahmer.

It's almost a good source in a roundabout way. If the most hoo-rah, overconfident pieces of poo poo around who see violence as the answer to everything are saying that introducing more firepower into a school is a bad idea, then you can be really, really sure it's a bad idea.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

E: goddamn idiocracy was a glimpse into the future

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5d7SaO0JAHk

The reality is somehow more dystopian than Idiocracy. Fast food/supermarket self-service kiosks at least usually have a real person physically around. Instead, you're going to be added to a queue and redirected to the next available person in a call center where they can undercut local wages. It's the experience of calling customer service that everyone loves, coming to a retail location near you.

https://globalnews.ca/news/8791036/freshii-percy-virtual-cashier-job-outsourcing/

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jun 6, 2022

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

That's the party of law and order for you.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Proud Christian Mom posted:

https://twitter.com/greg_price11/status/1534269367608823813?t=9vuVZ5ThrWWzN6tBiMNc7w&s=19

We all the stupid polisci kids and policy wonks back into the White House and they're going to hand everything back to the Republicans permanently

It's true though? There's some serious questions about where the economy is going next, but at the moment by all measures output, employment, incomes, etc are at historic highs. Wages actually moved in the right direction for the first time in decades, even if that's coming from a pandemic response. The covid relief payments probably even pushed down income inequality for the first time in a lot of peoples' living memory.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Wages only went the right direction until inflation caught up and flew past it, though.

Insert twitter reaping/sowing post.

How much of this could have been avoided if we just gave regular people like, half, or hell, a quarter of the money we gave corporations in total over the past two odd years?

No on can seriously going argue (from the left) that there couldn't have made better policy choices over the last few years, but objectively "the economy" is doing better for more people than it has in some time. It doesn't help that a big chunk of the population are toddlers who can't get over the fact Trump lost and complain about gas prices from their lifted trucks. They were never going to be satisfied with any result.

That said Democrats are going to do the usual thing and fold on everything economically and do nothing for the next two years, and if there's a recession in the future that will make it worse.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

CBJSprague24 posted:

Man, I would've considered a Tesla for my next car after I saw a friend drive hers with her finger a couple years ago but, between Musk's general douchebaggery and now this? :yikes:

You can find adaptive cruise control and lane assist on decidedly not fancy cars these days, you don't need a Tesla to drive with one finger on the highway. And most of those manufacturers are responsible enough that the car will beep at you if you take that one finger off for too long.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Acebuckeye13 posted:

The Democratic Party loves cops because America loves cops. Support for defunding is piss poor. Support for other reforms are much higher, and a reform bill passed the House, but of course it doesn't matter since the Republicans are uniformly in opposition and it would take every single Democrat to both break the filibuster and pass the reform bill.

Democrats still represent capital first, and police protect capital.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

That Works posted:

If gerrymandering was not a thing I'd sympathize a bit more with this view.

Can't gerrymander a senate election.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Bored As gently caress posted:

It's a completely haphazard way. Fed LEOs get fed funding.

State Troopers / State LEOs are paid through the state budget.

County Sheriff Offices or County PDs are paid through the county.

City or municipal PDs are paid through the city or towns. However, they sometimes get funding from county if they take over jurisdiction from county PDs.

State, county, and municipal can also all get federal grants for specific things like equipment upgrades (radios, computers, body armor) or for specific tasks (like assigning a guy to a state or region counterdrug task force). There's also federal funding through the national guard that trains state and local cops in counterdrug stuff, with training in everything from more thorough traffic stops, drug identification, online dark web investigations, TECC, to video / audio surveillance to high risk warrants and more.

State and local agencies can also get ex military gear for free. This includes ridiculous poo poo like MRAPs and APCs, to rifles and shotguns for patrol cars. The state and local PDs have to spend a shitload of money on maintaining those vehicles, though, so it's almost always better and more cost effective for an agency to buy an armored Bear Cat armored vehicle rather than accept a feee MRAP they have no clue how to maintain.

It's a haphazard system and states each have their own training councils that set up standards for all police agencies within that state. One states standards might be way more thorough and more training required than another state.

There were 13,947 separate law enforcement agents with at least one full time cop in the US as of 2018. This was down significantly from 17,398 in 2012.

This is absolutely insane.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2018/crime-in-the-u.s.-2018/topic-pages/police-employee-data
https://bjs.ojp.gov/content/pub/pdf/nsleed.pdf

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

This doesn't necessarily matter, the number of police departments doesn't have to correlate with the number of police officers, nor do the former or latter have to correlate with the level of services provided.

There's a level of overhead that's duplicated in every department so it's generally less efficient, it creates bunch of overlapping jurisdictions that make navigating the criminal justice system more complicated, and having all of those small departments makes oversight especially difficult which just encourages more corruption.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Kesper North posted:

I think cops should get teacher wages

Seems fair given the risks they face on the job~~~~~

Better, give the teachers cop wages. Including the overtime.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

CainFortea posted:

Contraceptives are also on the chopping block next so no it's not an overreaction.

Contraception for women is on the chopping block. Note that evangelicals are always shrieking about hormonal birth control but never have anything to say about condoms.

quote:

But in the fine print of their measure, those Republicans revealed that their ambition wasn’t only to target a familiar abortion foe. They were going after specific forms of birth control as well, notably, emergency contraceptives, often sold under the brand name Plan B, and intrauterine devices, known as IUDs. GOP lawmakers tried to stop Missouri’s Medicaid agency from paying for those forms of contraception.

quote:

This month, Idaho state Rep. Brent Crane, Republican chair of the powerful House State Affairs Committee, said he would hold hearings on legislation banning emergency contraceptives and possibly IUDs as well.

quote:

A Louisiana House committee earlier this month passed a bill saying that “human personhood” begins at the point of fertilization, an interpretation that critics say could potentially be used to outlaw Plan B drugs, IUDs and perhaps other forms of birth control.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jun 24, 2022

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

MrMojok posted:

They’d probably love to include condoms but they also prevent transmission of disease, so that’s unfortunately just a bridge too far.

Or IS it?!?

It makes more sense when you consider their driving motivation is tearing down reproductive agency for women. The whole saving babies is after the fact justification because saying "women need to be kept in their place" loses votes these days, which is why they won't come after condoms or vasectomies.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jun 24, 2022

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

CainFortea posted:

Yea you used to only be able to get condoms via doctor's prescription so no. You're wrong about that.

I stand corrected, and a bit of digging brought up the Comstock Laws.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

facialimpediment posted:

https://twitter.com/rickberke/status/1541445474913230848

Like most 8-1/9-0 decisions, it makes some sense that there should clearly be an intent requirement behind these things. I will say that my recent surgical nonsense has made me flip slightly on opioids. Thought I could never get hooked to them based on zero euphoria of morphene/dilaudid during my kidney stone run, but holy poo poo after tramadol (which is barely an opioid) I can see why some doctors thought they were miracles and patients got hooked.

Can't disagree in principle, but look at the details of the doctors who were exonerated.

quote:

As part of their criminal enterprise, Dr. Ruan and Dr. Couch owned C&R Pharmacy, which was co-located with one of the PPSA clinic locations. C&R Pharmacy would only fill prescriptions written by the doctors at PPSA, and Dr. Ruan and Dr. Couch split 75% of the profits that came in from the prescription drug reimbursements. Approximately 91% of the Subsys and Abstral prescriptions written by the defendants — which cost patients’ insurance anywhere between $1,000.00 to $24,000.00 per month — were filled at C&R Pharmacy.

In addition to C&R Pharmacy, the defendants also had a worker’s compensation dispensary, from which they directly dispensed Controlled Substances. The jury heard evidence that Dr. Ruan and Dr. Couch received guaranteed monthly kickbacks from a dispensary management company — Industrial Pharmaceuticals Management (“IPM”) and later Comprehensive Rx (“CRX”) — in exchange for the defendants dispensing certain drugs with high reimbursement rates. These monthly guaranteed amounts reached $80,000.00 per month for Dr. Ruan and $20,000.00 per month for Dr. Couch. The millions paid in kickbacks to the defendants associated with the worker’s compensation dispensary went into private bank accounts set up by the defendants.

While there were some patients who received legitimate medical care at PPSA, the jury heard evidence that many patients rarely saw either of the doctors, and that the nurse practitioners who treated Dr. Couch’s patients were abusing drugs at the work place and then seeing patients. In addition, the jury heard evidence that Dr. Couch knowingly permitted one of his nurse practitioners, Justin Palmer, to forge Dr. Couch’s name on prescriptions for Controlled Substances. Palmer testified that he forged Dr. Couch’s name approximately 25,000 times while working at PPSA.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Just tuned into the station and can confirm that I heard Zack de la Rocha informing me that he in fact would not be doing what I told him to do.

My avatar approves of this.

facialimpediment posted:

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1542457927855923201?t=1UsS6R3Hou_CRCOSyScGtA&s=19

Vermont currently has a Republican governor and he gets to appoint, but Vermont Democrats could probably override a vet of a party-only nomination bill so lol back to relying on old gently caress to live again

Can we get an age limit on elected/appointed positions already?

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Jun 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Trump tantruming in the back seat while his fans are jamming out to YMCA proves we’re not in the bleakest timeline, just the dumbest one

Then you remember him and anyone else sho matters are never going to face any consequences, and you're back to the bleakest timeline.