Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Ran Rannerson posted:

Honestly I’ve always felt that part of the reason people dislike ARR so much is because they’re trying to rush through to get to The Good Stuff and I personally think ARR is more satisfying if you take it slow and marinate in the world. That might be colored by the fact that FF14 is my first MMO and obviously it’s different if you’re having a great time with MSQ and want to see what’s next but I think a lot of my enjoyment was based around trying out the different jobs and wandering off to do job storylines or sidequests when the MSQ wasn’t doing it for me.

Tbh, a lot of the best ARR writing is not mandatory or is heavily supported by optional dialogue. If you aren't talking with side NPCs frequently, you're going to be missing the small character arcs that make a lot of the main story have impact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

So congrats on beating the free trial! :v:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Regy Rusty posted:

God the end of Stormblood here is so good. I'm honestly kinda glad that I didn't start playing till after Shadowbringers because waiting for the next expansion after this would have been torture.

I remember the Fanfests for ShB and the debate that went on in the thread because they said certain things during the first two Fanfests that weren't necessarily untrue but were misleading. So people in the thread kept arguing back and forth at what the expansion really was going to be. It a good time.

Ran Rannerson
Oct 23, 2010

Like Clockwork posted:

Tbh, a lot of the best ARR writing is not mandatory or is heavily supported by optional dialogue. If you aren't talking with side NPCs frequently, you're going to be missing the small character arcs that make a lot of the main story have impact.

It's true, like talking to the Scions after every story beat is one thing but also the sidequests are honestly great, The Voyage of the Gobbue goes extremely hard.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Yeah, I should bring up Sang that you absolutely want to talk to all of your companions when they are available as you do the MSQ, they generally have some interesting things to say.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Feldegast42 posted:

Yeah, I should bring up Sang that you absolutely want to talk to all of your companions when they are available as you do the MSQ, they generally have some interesting things to say.

You mean in Shadowbringers? Don't worry, I've been doing that basically since the start. I try hard to bring up any time somebody makes a relevant comment off the side in the LP. Just look at all the work I put in trying to weave the peanut gallery's business into the Ivalice write-ups!

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The 2.x patches were when they first really started trying to put in some work to give the Scions some incidental character, and one of my favorite lines from that is just when Thancred's standing around and says that you'll annoy Alphinaud if you keep him waiting, but then realizing that might be why you're still there, so, carry on. (They killed some of my other favorite little moments because they all happened to be in the cut quests. :( )

dyslexicfaser
Dec 10, 2022

Hogama posted:

The 2.x patches were when they first really started trying to put in some work to give the Scions some incidental character, and one of my favorite lines from that is just when Thancred's standing around and says that you'll annoy Alphinaud if you keep him waiting, but then realizing that might be why you're still there, so, carry on. (They killed some of my other favorite little moments because they all happened to be in the cut quests. :( )
Didn't they have the base and the B-team change every time you came back all throughout ARR? Like Tataru trying new stuff like learning to juggle and the rotating cast of Livianne and Auba and Aulie and them, and that one time Thancred was just sat at a table playing with a dagger, and such

I think 'incidental character' had been happening the whole time, it's just by its nature easily missed

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Oh they had, I just meant more the A-Team in general because they tended to be a bit more self-serious during 2.0 when you caught them between missions.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Mordiceius posted:

It's wild to me that everything Sanguinia has done thus far is all within the scope of the free trial.

A free trial that now ends with the Scions in a coma (???), what a game.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

FuturePastNow posted:

A free trial that now ends with the Scions in a coma (???), what a game.

i mean the last free trial ended with omega and shinryu crashing down in ala mhigo. there's not going to be a non-cliffhanger free trial ever, i think, based on how they write the x.5 patches

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Mister Olympus posted:

i mean the last free trial ended with omega and shinryu crashing down in ala mhigo. there's not going to be a non-cliffhanger free trial ever, i think, based on how they write the x.5 patches

I've been told the very first free trial ended at the attack on the Waking Sands

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

E: sometime during cheesequest I think, since that used to be a lot longer; maybe it terminated just before Titan? I forget since I never got there myself

Maybe in like, the hypothetical 12.x they will move the bar to the point where there isn't a cliffhanger at the free trial, but that would also be really bad business so I can't see them ever doing it.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The first free trial was 14 days, up to level 35.
Then they removed the time restriction, but kept the level restriction. - This was done at about the same time 3.56 dropped, so it was kind of a hype-up lead-in to Stormblood.
Lord of Crags and then All Good Things are Level 34 quests. Level 35 ends at Eyes on Me (when Alphinaud tells Marques that he's Cid and has an airship).

Then they expanded the free trial to level 60 and including all of Heavensward (where we got the infamous meme) in the middle of Shadowbringers (it was patch 5.3) in 2020.
The expanded the free trial again to level 70 and including all of Stormblood not so long ago, in patch 6.5 in 2023.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

dyslexicfaser posted:

Didn't they have the base and the B-team change every time you came back all throughout ARR? Like Tataru trying new stuff like learning to juggle and the rotating cast of Livianne and Auba and Aulie and them, and that one time Thancred was just sat at a table playing with a dagger, and such

I think 'incidental character' had been happening the whole time, it's just by its nature easily missed

I remember hearing that Tataru used to be able to play Triple Triad with you, though that was removed for some reason.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Ivypls posted:

arr is good actually

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I remember hearing that Tataru used to be able to play Triple Triad with you, though that was removed for some reason.

That was for like one patch and they walked it back because having Tataru being a Triple Triad NPC broke all sorts of internal rules about future content and evergreening (they could no longer move Tataru, she has to stay alive, she would require a popup menu if she was ever a node in the MSQ again, etc)

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Sanguinia posted:

I've been told the very first free trial ended at the attack on the Waking Sands

It finished at L35, with the attack on the Waking Sands after you fight Titan yeah.

Good job on getting through the free trial Sang :)

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Kwyndig posted:

That was for like one patch and they walked it back because having Tataru being a Triple Triad NPC broke all sorts of internal rules about future content and evergreening (they could no longer move Tataru, she has to stay alive, she would require a popup menu if she was ever a node in the MSQ again, etc)

There's another NPC in the patch 4.x storyline who demonstrates the issue with attaching main storyline characters to side content pretty succinctly: even though the MSQ has him in a coma, Urianger still has to be available in the Waking Sands if you haven't started or in some cases finished all of the quests for the Binding Coils, the Odin trial, and the ARR extreme trials.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I think you'll find that is his twin brother: Yearly-Anchor.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

The road goes ever on, and as does the laughter of thirsting posters :getin:

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
FFXIV is crafted with marvelous levels of detail and care, but the sheer size and scope of the experience means that it's easy to overlook or forget much of its foreshadowing, callbacks, and flavor. A thorough screenshot Let's Play that explores the game at a more relaxed pace is the perfect supplement for FFXIV, and I'm happy to have another full campaign available to enjoy in this format.

As for Stormblood itself, I'm glad I didn't play FFXIV when it was current. I agree with the common opinion that it's the "weakest expansion" (even though that label carries much less weight in a game of such overall high quality). There's a lot to love and appreciate, but there's also notable sour notes and missteps layered in too. Since the contents of the campaign have been considered leveling and/or optional side content for years at this point, players don't have to dwell on its weakest parts anymore, and I think that overall leads to Stormblood being a better experience.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

quote:

Even Aenor is serious for once.

You know things are dire when Aenor of the Endless Thirst stops fantasizing about the Boulder Twins.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

kaosdrachen posted:

You know things are dire when Aenor of the Endless Thirst stops fantasizing about the Boulder Twins.

Please use her full name if you include the title it's very important

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Hm, how many of the second-string Scions have shown up in the combat engine to get an in-game title?

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

I feel like given the conflicts around the globe that Stormblood has aged well in content (if not in execution).

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Sanguinia posted:

You mean in Shadowbringers? Don't worry, I've been doing that basically since the start. I try hard to bring up any time somebody makes a relevant comment off the side in the LP. Just look at all the work I put in trying to weave the peanut gallery's business into the Ivalice write-ups!

Streamer check weather, streamer check buff.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Please use her full name if you include the title it's very important

I think you and I might be the only ones who know her full name…

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Aenor Cockburne.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

kaosdrachen posted:

Or the Garlean theatre troupe.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I really want a sidestory about the Boulder Brothers and their partners. (I mean honestly I want them to be the new main scions but that's not going to happen.)

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

Characters who don't have white hair as main scions? Impossible. Cannot be done.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
It's true, it's why Lyse got the boot.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Suddenly, I'm afraid for Krile.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

oops

Qwertycoatl fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Mar 17, 2024

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

This is the let's play thread

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

lmao

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Hellioning posted:

I really want a sidestory about the Boulder Brothers and their partners. (I mean honestly I want them to be the new main scions but that's not going to happen.)

In the following duty, you will play the role of Aenor Cockburne.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
That'd up the game's rating to R though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

AO (Aenor only)