Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:
Code worked, thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Megasabin posted:

Yeah. I’d still like to draft more, but it’s brutal. Maybe best of 3 would be better. I’d rather not do a not draft

I sometimes play Bo3 towards the end of a season when I'm losing too much in plat/diamond. You will definitely win more, I just checked my stats and since I started using 17lands I have 69% game wins and 78% match wins in trad draft compared to 57% premier draft. If you want to go infinite and win a thousand packs a set you could easily just grind Bo3, but I don't usually enjoy it as much as PD.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
God this set is just crushing me.

I think i've got a total of 3 wins out of like 7 drafts and a sealed at this point :(

I'm not not enjoying the games but I'm just either missing something major about the draft, not playing to the standard of the rank I'm at, or both, and I'm honestly just starting to wonder again whether it's worth my time grinding in standard and brawl to get my face kicked in in draft once or twice a week.

E: 8 wins out of 8 events. Yeah.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Simply Simon posted:

I take longer on a QD because the big advantage is that you have all the time in the world to make your pick. I look up stats and weigh which way the deck is going etc.

It's great practice for card evaluation on the fly when you are under a hard limit!

I've found that the individual card evaluations matter a lot less in this set than synergy -- a great card in one archetype is a dead card in another, even when the overall deck is the same colors.

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Who wants to see the most bomb-heavy draft in human history

I don't even think I drafted correctly insofar as there are too many aggro elements in it, but who cares lol

I hope you do well but worry that you're gonna be too dead to play most of those. Your early game is wide open and the dragons don't become useful 'til later.

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
I keep going into drafts telling myself not to get tunnel vision on green, but green still always feels open. There are just so many good commons and uncommons, you can probably go no-rares AND none of the top 5 green commons/uncommons and still make a really competitive deck

Dance of the Tumbleweeds and Tumbleweed Rising in particular still feel badly underrated, I’m getting those in the back half of packs which is too late. I think with a little luck you could trophy with a deck that contained only those two cards 11x

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

thespaceinvader posted:

God this set is just crushing me.

I think i've got a total of 3 wins out of like 7 drafts and a sealed at this point :(

I'm not not enjoying the games but I'm just either missing something major about the draft, not playing to the standard of the rank I'm at, or both, and I'm honestly just starting to wonder again whether it's worth my time grinding in standard and brawl to get my face kicked in in draft once or twice a week.

E: 8 wins out of 8 events. Yeah.

youre probably drafting fine decks but this set has a much higher skill ceiling than most. if you gently caress up at all, you are opening the door to getting brutally punished by allowing the game to go 1 turn longer than it should and letting a very powerful card come online. good players are winning a higher % of games and worse (but still good!) players are losing more because you have to play extremely tight.

even not sending a guy on an attack when you should have, taking a trade, not taking a trade, not putting them on the right trick, not seeing that they are playing towards an X spell will all make you drop otherwise won games. I lost a game today where I didnt send honest rutstein to attack because i wanted the cost reduction online and three turns later they were at 2 and dropped a calamity that took me from 16 to 0. sending the attack would not have been lethal that turn but the cost reduction did not matter enough not to push the damage and trade off with their blocker, allowing a different shitter to get in. This is what I meant in an earlier post about being too precious with creatures and not putting them in combat. I lost that game with my play and it killed a run at 3-3 with a deck that probably should have gone 7-2 if not for pilot error

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

discounted draft token in the store today. probably better to use coins for this one since it's discounted 10% from the price of 7.5k instead of 10k

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Time posted:

youre probably drafting fine decks but this set has a much higher skill ceiling than most. if you gently caress up at all, you are opening the door to getting brutally punished by allowing the game to go 1 turn longer than it should and letting a very powerful card come online. good players are winning a higher % of games and worse (but still good!) players are losing more because you have to play extremely tight.

even not sending a guy on an attack when you should have, taking a trade, not taking a trade, not putting them on the right trick, not seeing that they are playing towards an X spell will all make you drop otherwise won games. I lost a game today where I didnt send honest rutstein to attack because i wanted the cost reduction online and three turns later they were at 2 and dropped a calamity that took me from 16 to 0. sending the attack would not have been lethal that turn but the cost reduction did not matter enough not to push the damage and trade off with their blocker, allowing a different shitter to get in. This is what I meant in an earlier post about being too precious with creatures and not putting them in combat. I lost that game with my play and it killed a run at 3-3 with a deck that probably should have gone 7-2 if not for pilot error

Yeah I've had this experience a lot.

It was opposing Roxanne this time, which makes it doubly sting that in the draft I got my own Roxanne, I didn't fuckin see her once.

I'm definitely not playing perfectly, which doesn't help - because, of course, I'm getting very little practice, because I keep losing.

I'm getting tired of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

thespaceinvader posted:

Yeah I've had this experience a lot.

It was opposing Roxanne this time, which makes it doubly sting that in the draft I got my own Roxanne, I didn't fuckin see her once.

I'm definitely not playing perfectly, which doesn't help - because, of course, I'm getting very little practice, because I keep losing.

I'm getting tired of it.

thats a tough spot to be in, and i hope my post didnt read as "play better" but instead just my thoughts on the format and why it can feel bad even when your deck is great