Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

I feel like Temporary Lockdown is the new Doomskar/Righteous Valkyrie in terms of "thing aggro decks hate to see on turn 3".

Yeah Temporary Lockdown is gonna be an absolutely brutal draw against aggro.

For my part a few games in and I feel like monored is SO nearly there - Lightning Strike, Phoenix Chick, and Shivan Devastator are solid additions but it's still missing a killer 2 drop or burn spell/combo finisher to really get there.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Sep 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Boxman posted:

Opened my first sealed pool and lol

Valiant Veteran
Golden Argosy
Karn's Sylex
Adarkar Wastes
Sulfurous Springs x2

All those lands are good for constructed at least!

Oof. Worth checking the rest of the pool though there's loads of good uncomons to build with.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

First Sealed went 4/3 which I'm pleased with but man the reward structure is markedly worse than premier draft tot he point where I'm not sure it's actually worth it for me to do :(

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Squiggly posted:

Include the six packs

It still doesn't seem great? You get a better payoff at low winrates but you don't break even on gems until much later, and I care much more about gems now than I do about packs now.

However, given my first draft went 2/3 I'm still better off with Sealed. I might go for a Sealed attempt using my last 2k gems and post the deck overnight for advice.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Horace Kinch posted:

An opponent pre-GG'd me after playing the guy who can turn enchantments into creatures. They animated their Temporary Lockdown like a complete dingus right into an Infernal Grasp. I got 6 creatures back on the board instantly and blocked the rest of his stuff down, they scooped immediately. Pride always comes before the fall.

This reminds me I wanna play the Zur deck.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

MasterBuilder posted:

How quick is DMU sealed? I've got a big gruul stumpy deck that has a bit of a hole at 4 mana and the other colors don't have exciting to splash for.

Feels to me like it's mostly pretty slow and durdly, lots of people going for 4/5 colour piles off the common fixing for Domain.

--

Speaking of Sealed, how's this looking:
https://www.17lands.com/deck/debe4b21014b4cbf9086cf3f2b9654d9

I'm not sure if the green splash is worth it or if just playing straight up W/R aggro is better, and if the R/W rare 4/4 who's functionally just a vanilla 4/4 is better or worse (probably qworse) in context than a Coalition Warbrute.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Lol the name of the queue for standard brawl in the recent games pane has changed back to Wednesday Brawl which it hasn't been since before last rotation I don't think? Good programme Wizards.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Someone actually put a decent amount of thought into these yargle day decks and it's actually kinda fun lol

Or, the red one is, anyway.

Welp second sealed went 0/3 with a solid red white aggro deck versus... 3 mardu aggro decks, on the draw twice, drew at least one heroic charge in every match and never had a chance to play one for any kind of value (or indeed at all I don't think), every opponent just had removal absolutely coming out their ears :( Feels bad. Nearly stabilised off Danitha with Hammerhand in the last one, but OP drew the red 'phase a creature and blow up the board' card.

Lmao day 2 and I'm already out of currency :(

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Sep 3, 2022

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Kashuno posted:

Managed to trophy with this thing almost entirely off the back of Elas and the cult conscripts. Feels like if you're going to be a low curve aggressive deck you really can't be mucking around with too many taplands and splashes because your window to kill gets absolutely slammed shut if the go big domain or defender decks get a chance to get onto the board. I know that's a typical thing for aggro in any format but it feels especially pronounced here with the off-color kicker cards and encouragement toward a splash color. As a sidenote, Captain's Call is 100% gonna be my most drafted card, it just always seems to have a use

This is absolutely my experience of trying a couple of more midrangey aggro decks. I got absolutely loving wrecked by people stalling and then playing huge dorks.

E: I'm pretty much finding standard kind of boring already, but messing with a few new, interesting 2-mana brawl commanders is pretty sun. Balmor as a tempo commander is fantastic, Elas Il-Kor looks really interesting, Raf (probably as another tepo deck) also looks really interesting, and building them right is a super interesting hallenge.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Sep 4, 2022

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

elbkaida posted:

I just went 7-1 with this RW deck https://www.17lands.com/deck/e3d5b8107876406ab9ef726995496023/2 but it doesn't really feel very aggro. I found myself holding back attacks quite a few times to get the board a bit wider or to have enough creatures for casting phalanx or monstrosity to break through. Maybe I got a bit lucky because I only played one big green deck (lost) but on the other hand I have a lot of filler cards in there too.

I tried checking 17lands to see what cards were good in RW but somehow almost none of them are? Not sure what's going on there is says RW has 62.5% winrate but most of the commons or uncommons are below that. Does that mean a deck winrate gets dragged upwards a lot by a small number of very good commons/uncommons (or rares) - in this case Prayer of Binding, Knight of Dawns Light, Phyrexian Missionary, Love Song, Benalish Sleeper, Take up the Shield, Keldon Strike Team

Pretty much yeah. AFAICT it means the deck is winning because stall for bombs, not because aggro kill with dudes.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Did anyone manage to work out why some of the mastery track levels are glowing green?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Hail egg I guess.

I was assuming it was some kind of storyline phyrexian nonsense.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

It's called Urza's Hot Tub I think, but I can't send invites.

I should actually stream my next one and see how it goes.

I think the thing I'm really figuring out is that the soldier tokens go wide thing needs more than JUST that plus Heroic Charge to work properly.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Kull the Conqueror posted:

In a vacuum, would you rather have Territorial Maro with three land types total or Elfhame Wurm?

IN a vaccuum Maro, because bigger bodies block better, and thus far the format feels slow and grindy and there a lot of x/5s out there, but that's gonna vary a LOT depending on the matchup.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Dang this set has some absolutely brutal brawl commanders.

I'm here chilling with go-wide using Baird (likely Jetmir would be near-strictly better but eh, Baird is cheap) and tempo using Balmor, and then there's Jodah and Soul of Windgrace and lol

Sould of Windgrace is just plain silly with any fetch land but particularly the lifegaining ones from SNC. ANd Jodah is just plain silly by himself.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

God Sheoldred is just such a stonewall against aggro.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

dropping sheoldred turn 4 breaks basically any aggro strategy that doesn't have destroy/exile based removal or a 5/x body, but then, so do most board wipes so eh. Bo1 aggro always has bad matches, doubly so on the draw.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Jesus getting a bad pool in this event sucks balls.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

How bout this draft?

https://www.17lands.com/deck/4df31081db7044668f1590ac06c91f4a

I feel like taking out the red cards is the right call (though with the red kickers I'm still splashing red so maybe Sprouting Goblin at least is worth it) but it leaves me kinda light on 2 drops and maybe a little over-represented on 1s? BUt I feel like Combat Research is worth it with a couple of reasonable fliers, and the 1-drop non-permanents are there fore Micromancer.

The draft was pretty ew, annoyingly. Opening with Jhoira, and seeing two of the lords, as well, red and white, red being pretty much useless and white being unplayable with the cards I had at the time. Finishing a draft with 0 rare/mythic cards feels so bad, but I think/hope I might have made up for it in uncommons.

I'm 9/15 in DMU limited so far, but even if this one tanks I'll have another run tomorrow.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Sep 7, 2022

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

little munchkin posted:

p1p5: micromancer has better 17lands stats than geyser
p1p9: scavenger sucks rear end, if you want a 3/2 that gives you card selection automatic librarian is the same card only colorless and goes super late. You probably don't end up playing yavimaya sojurner but it's a solid hedge card.
p1p13: do not pass micromancer. you got handed a huge gift here and fumbled it
p2p5: research doesn't play well with what you have going on. rainbow decks with tons of value cards are usually playing defense early and won't often have free unblockable attacks
rest seems fine but you probably want to take lands or other fixing sources a little more aggressively

Thanks, this helps with the drafting side, I'm glad I didn't screw it up too much - Micromancer in 1/5 was a conscious choice to ignore - I went for somethign that definitely works over something which needs payoffs to work, and for which I didn't yet have any payoffs. Getting payoffs first seems a better plan. And I did end up with one Micromancer, and not enough payoffs for more.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

https://www.17lands.com/deck/4df31081db7044668f1590ac06c91f4a

7/2

Losses were:
- opponent has a wide board and is empty handed, I can block the board enough to survive and swing back to win with trample the following turn. They topdeck Cleaving Skyrider with enough attackers to kill me. Nice topdeck, nothing I can really do about that.
- Defiler of Vigor. Holy poo poo that is a tough thing to deal with, I had a couple of potential answers and I think I could maybe have done my card selection better to find one in time, but I am not sad to be beaten by an outrageously good bomb.

I'm very satisfied with my performance here, i drafted a good deck AND managed not to gently caress up piloting it.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Corbeau posted:

Hivemind went 16-8 yesterday after adjusting to pick duals much higher and more aggressively jumping ship to respond to signals. Don't pass up clear bombs, obviously, but if you draft duals early you're a lot more flexible and can usually splash the best cards you'd otherwise be leaving behind when changing lanes.

It feels very much like NEO from this perspective TBH.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

https://www.17lands.com/deck/e491b814ec6b4a778c1b1a044a942fc3

Any suggestions on this one? I feel like blue was probably open pack 1 but I was pretty well committed by that stage. I think the deck's built pretty OK, but whether to include one or both of the branchrunners without green to pump it is maybe a question?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

little munchkin posted:

I dont think you have the mana fixing or the power level to justify three colors. Id cut white, branchrunner is pretty bad but the rest of your red pumps/tricks in the look solid.

White is mostly there for Baird TBH, who is probably the best single card, and I think I have the support to at least splash him.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

2/2 with the deck from last night: https://www.17lands.com/deck/e491b814ec6b4a778c1b1a044a942fc3/2 - cut all the white except Baird, Aron, and the kickers initially, then realised when he mouldered in hand for an entire match that Aron was a double pip and I should have cut him too. Baid plus Kavu did a bunch of work in a couple of matches, and I think I made at least one minor gameplay mistake, but please overall with performance given the slighty dodgy draft.

Then 4/3 with this drafted today: https://www.17lands.com/deck/34cfa84062b24dc8822e6d0445b9c2cc - pleased with the deckbuilding here, cutting all the splashes to go down to 2 colour felt painful but it meant I couyld guarantee my 4-toughness creatures surviving Drag to the Bottom which saved my rear end a couple times, and allowed me to do a big board wipe with Nemata out once - albeit my opponent then popped their Sylex the following turn and killed me later, it was still satisfying (and in the same match I tried to Tail Swipe with a Battlefly into a bigger creature intending to activate it, but it skipped the activation trigger, which is a lesson I guess - activate firsr - and then cost me an Extinguish I could have used later, so maybe cost me the game? But on reflection I'm pretty sure I was dead either way. At least one loss was just drawing two straight hands of all one colour mana with no castables, so missing out on fixing was a little painful.

Next up is this one: https://www.17lands.com/deck/9f52c19f01914d879caa912bffee896c - any suggestions? I think with the amount of 1/1s and 2/2s I can generate, the green splash for Zar Ojanen is worth it, but cutting the greent entirely and swapping in more go wide aggro is definitely an option.

I'm at 22/23 out of 9 events now which feels a lot better than being a 9/15 after 5 lol.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Honestly that's almost certainly a situation where I swing out, kick heroic charge after blockers, and lose because math is for blockers - but every turn you leave Defiler of Vigor up is a turn further behind ever getting through their board, and unless they swing with it into Runic Shot there are very few ways you might have to kill ti you wouldn't already have used.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

little munchkin posted:

Don't cut Argrivian Cavaliers, it's a top performing common for white. I'd cut phoenix for it, a 1/1 can't block sucks and it's going to come back a lot less often than you think. Zar does not seem like it's going to be castable often but it's got a high ceiling and the only thing you could swap it for is the Coalition Warbrute which is actually pretty decent.

Thanks, made that switch.

Ended up 3/3 which is OK, lost one to '#mull a 2 land with only one play into a 2 land with no plays', and another to 'big green dorks', can't remember the third. Happy enough with my performance, didn't make any wildly boneheaded errors, one or two minor ones though.

Next one is looking like Jund thanks to opening P1P1 Soul of Windgrace. WHich I'm also looking forward to brewing up for Brawl.

E: https://www.17lands.com/deck/d06d1737a0da4682aee1b32f945ccf6b

THis felt like it went obscenely well. Lost match 1 due to trying to get too much value out of Cruelty, but otherwise it's feeling pretty solid. The UR land is purely in there for Domain so that Bortuk can get back Windgrace, but I might put in a single Plains to kick the horse, too.

E: 3/3. Losses to a very well built Domain deck where I really should have just skipped to chapter 3 of Cruelty of Gix, and possibly stabilised, T2 Balmor on the draw, and keeping 4 lands, Lagomos, Lightning Strike, and Flowstone Infusion then proceeding to draw another 9 lands and Windgrace. Irritated with the matchup tag, not so much with my play.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Sep 10, 2022

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

How's about this one? Draft felt a bit messy and reachy, btu I think the deck could work in the end

https://www.17lands.com/deck/751f83cc523a401488cac892716e2278

Whether to cut other colours quite that hard and whether to keep the splash lands even without the splashes to enable domain is a question...

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

dingo with a joint posted:

Can someone please explain to me the set difference between Explorer and Historic? Most of my collection just rotated out of being Standard legal, and I'd assumed I'd be able to play it as-is in Historic. No, turns out Historic is Alchemy+, not Standard+. Instead, there's this thing called Explorer that contains all my Kaldheim cards as-is, and it's like Historic, but not quite. And I can't for the life of me work out what that "but not quite" amounts to. Which sets are Historic but not Explorer? Or is it not as simple as that? And am I just being a stubborn dumbass by refusing to accept the Alchemy version of Magic into my heart?

Explorer is everything that is on arena and in the paper format Pioneer (basically everything except Alchemy stuff), Historic is just everything on arena. Bans excepted of course.

And, by and large you can just play standard/explorer decks in Alchemy, the Alchemy rebalanced cards are relatively few and far between. Changing the decks over for HIstoric that DO have them is a faff though.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

MeinPanzer posted:

So I've been experimenting with a bunch of decks in Standard and I think it's pretty clear that black is simply overpowered at the moment relative to pretty much everything else.

Sheoldred, Lili, and Meathook Massacre provide too much value, and I think that Sheoldred will need to eat a ban.

If anything is likely to eat a ban (and we're still only a week out from release, give it time) it's Hook. That -x-x wipe plus a bunch of drain is absolutely meta defining, and it's from an older set so they'll try to hit it first if anything needs it.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I'm seeing Sultai being the right call, ti covers most of your rares, and you have 3 Vineshapers as well as a number of other excellent cards in that colour set such as two Tear Asunder, etc

Potentially putting in off-colour taplands might be useful for Domain but I kinda doubt it.

I'd look at something like this

Deck
1 Contaminated Aquifer
1 Urborg Repossession
1 Joint Exploration
1 Knight of Dusk's Shadow
1 Splatter Goblin
1 Leaf-Crowned Visionary
2 Tear Asunder
3 Vineshaper Prodigy
1 Phyrexian Espionage
2 Soaring Drake
1 Braids, Arisen Nightmare
1 Phyrexian Rager
1 The Phasing of Zhalfir
1 Drag to the Bottom
1 Extinguish the Light
1 Rona, Sheoldred's Faithful
1 Nael, Avizoa Aeronaut
1 Silverback Elder
1 Territorial Maro
1 Writhing Necromass

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

kalel posted:

yeah they really followed a k.i.s.s. approach to the color pie in this set and it's really refreshing. Honestly my first couple of limited games reminded me a lot of the original dominaria limited environment

Yeah, I was super dubious about the 'each colour just has an identity, build your own colour combos' thing, and it felt a little difficult to get my head round at first, but it makes a lot of sense now and it feels like it leads to a much better draft environment than a lot of recent sets.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Standingstoic posted:

I'm interested in other's opinions on this, because I think it's pretty obvious paper/Arena is going in a weird split direction at this point with the power level of some of the alchemy cards. There's at least 5 cards in there that are 100% playables (For the sake of discussion, I have specifically molten impact in mind), so do those cards just have no chance to ever make it to paper? If that's the case, hasn't the ship already sailed on ever having the true-to-paper experience for arena formats using alchemy?

As a guy who pivoted from paper to digital strictly because it's cheaper to maintain a collection and play this way as I've gotten older, I have grown to really like alchemy, but disagree with making it legal in any of the older formats in arena (as they were established formats meant to EVENTUALLY mirror paper, was my understanding.)

I played a bunch of ladder alchemy last month because I so enjoyed the mono-R list with Ambergris. I see alchemy as a way for them to shunt some of the "future league" testing they do in-house off on the players. I think that a non-zero number of these alchemy cards will see print eventually, or has that been explicitly said as something that won't happen?

Alchemy, y'all.

General feeling in the thread is Alchemy is kinda meh and kinda pointless, and I don't think I've seen much in the way of enthusiasm for it.

I played it fairly enthusiastically for the first set (although without investing more than a few uncommons) but I found that I quickly stopped bothering to try when the next set came out but the alchemy set didn't release concurrently.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

ObsidianBeast posted:

I gave the mono-blue deck from CovertGoBlue a spin today in Standard and it works really well against mono-B or Bx decks. Countering their one play 4 turns in a row, then playing a Haughty Djinn (that got more powerful because of your counterspells you've been playing) is great. The hardest part is protecting the Djinn, but if you're careful about keeping mana open and waiting an extra turn or 2 before playing it out, you can usually get there. It also worked against mono-R and whatever's left of Boros because they run out of gas pretty quick.

Here's the video, he talks a bit in the opening about why he made some of the card choices (like not playing Delver) and how he found to play it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwM-7BDEVpI

Here's the deck: https://aetherhub.com/Deck/mono-blue-tempo--dmu-standard-bo1

I know CGB isn't everyone's cup of tea but the deck works against the current meta pretty well. Also it's pretty light on rares/mythics so it wasn't expensive to craft. I don't usually play U but I had fun with it since it was a bit of a drag losing to B so much recently.

I've been trying to find a tempo deck and this tempts me but it doesn't really feel like a tempo deck AIUI it just feels like fairly standard blue control with A Finisher.

I wanna find something in Izzet with Balmor, but honestly WB with Virtuouso is probably the closest to a traditional tempo deck at the moment - and might well still have legs, I've not tried.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

babypolis posted:

Any thoughts for this sealed pool?

https://sealeddeck.tech/QnN10v3SWR

I have a bunch of lands so the domain deck seems like the most obvious option, but the WB sac deck looks kinda appealing as well and i havent been doing very well with the 5c domain stuff in sealed for some reason

Black white core splashing green and wwhatever else works, or WBG splashing what you need to to make Domain work.

I'd be inclined to stay simple and stay in core black simply because of your rares. Stick in some Big Green Dudes to hunt up with Cruelty too.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Lord Banana posted:

How soft are constructed events? Feels like it's worth spending gold there for gems and play in points, as the qualifiers are so high EV.

Highly variable. Bring a good standard deck and you can probably farm them long term, but expecting any given run to go well is pretty questionable, and it's very easy to accidentally all your money.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Thanks -

https://sealeddeck.tech/a5Hf5lUE27

Went 7-2!! Honestly very good tech but dunno if it could have been better. Weird how the sideboard exported like that is that to show the whole pool?

Yes, what's not in your deck is in your sideboard in Limited.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Well it turned out the draft I posted yesterday was pretty dire, but I somehow managed to eke out two wins largely thanks to Necromass, War-Leech, Bortuk, and Uurg. The self-mill graveyard deck is real.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, it's definitely possible to do well with only commons and uncommons, my only trophy didn't have a single rare.

But equally I was in Silver at the time which has something to do with it. And one of the matches the opponent never did anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I'm gonna need to re-work all my artisan and pauper stuff aren't i, I am pretty sure I have no functional decks for either format at the moment.

I'm feeling Balmor based tempo...