Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Wonder if they'll try and keep the same cast in English as well. I know Japan likes to keep the same actors for the same roles but that doesn't always work out in English dubbing, depending on the company and Union contracts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Last Celebration posted:

Depends on who grabs it, Netflix has been oddly accommodating in that regard, for instance, and other companies *can* make their shows union dubs with primarily non-union talent to keep Nines and Popola/Devola’s actors so really it depends on if Crunchyroll grabs the dubbing rights.

I'm almost imagining Crunchyroll snapping this license up as a middle finger to McCarley

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I asked this in the video games thread but never got a response, but are any of the novels worth reading? I was thinking of checking out what's available in english but I was curious if they were any good or if they were just your typical light novel stuff

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Aw gently caress :sigh: that's a huge bummer. I miss his LPs a lot, they were my favorite

Edit: now that I think about it, his original Nier LP was what finally got me to reg an account after years of lurking

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jan 19, 2023

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I remember all that! I worked at Best Buy when Neir came out and the only reason I was aware of it was because of the Drakengard LP and the constant "lol cavia" jokes. Seriously, that game came out a month or two before FFXIII, i dont feel like it ever really had a chance. And yeah, Id getting the Nier Goodies was such an :unsmith: moment

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I hope they take all the time they need so that people can be safe :ohdear:

Also, the anime has secret codes. Because of course

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2023/01/the-nier-automata-anime-has-secret-codes-in-it-because-of-course-it-does/

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Excited for things to start up again :woop: :woop:

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Bugblatter posted:

https://youtu.be/PsQko0cn8qU

Yoko Taro wrote a Nier short film with puppets. It’s ostensibly a music video for the show’s credit song, though the song doesn’t start until the “music video” hits its own credits 10 minutes in.

Anyway, it’s neat. And disturbing, depicting the machines as child soldiers dealing with existential despair. Very Yoko Taro.

Finally watched this and, man, the looping credits were something else. Impressive stuff with interesting story implications. I've always had this pet headcanon that the city ruins+factory+amusement park etc is not the first of it's kind, that every so often they get built in preparation for humanity coming back to live on earth, only to inevitably get destroyed when the fighting starts picking up steam again...basically me answering a question that doesn't actually need to be answered i.e. "how did that city last for thousands of years??" Like, the idea that the androids are constantly rebuilding earth in hope that the humans will come back only for it all to get destroyed again and again feels pretty in line with Sith Lord Yoko. The video and credits made me think of that.

...unless that actually is the explanation and I missed it and decided it was my headcanon :shobon:

In any case, I'm happy to see the anime back again. I loved how they did the Simone fight, though I wish they had spent more time gawking at the amusement park. I think that was one of the more wtf moments in the early game. I hope we get an appearance from my favorite machine, Machine With a Dream :3:

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Feb 26, 2023

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

GimmickMan posted:

Answer in spoilers because we have non-game posters here everything you see is built by the machines between wars to preserve the status quo, even the city ruins. After 13 Machine Wars and something like ten thousand years, it's basically the only explanation that would make sense, considering how pressed for resources and consistently on the backfoot the androids are. I don't remember exactly where this comes up but yeah I had that question in the back of my head for most of the game as well.

Ok, so that's really similar to what I was thinking. to 'maintain the status quo is...also pretty bleak. I think any explanation would play in to the rote, circular nature of the whole conflict. Repetition for the sake of itself.

Also, I'll go back and edit that speculation in to a spoiler tag, just in case

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Also, puppets

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Julias posted:

Yeah it's this. My understanding is a lot of their work was being outsourced to China, and when China got hit with a new covid wave, it put too much strain on the Productions of various concurrent projects.

This is why I'm always a fan of finishing anime way in advance of the release, even if it means you can't change much due to viewer feedback. Just a much healthier production cycle all around for the staff.

Yeah, I don't understand how companies can just essentially play chicken with the finishing of an episode and it's air date. The anime industry is so hosed, it makes me sad

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I was really worried with such a lengthy hiatus that they might just try to wrap things up here. I'm glad that's not the case because I really can't wait to see the rest of the story

Last 4 eps were really good! Some interesting changes. Hopefully more puppets!!

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I mean, his head showed up in the tree and started flashing memories of Kaine and Nier. The show seems to be implying that his presence is facilitating the machines breaking from the network somehow

Just sad that we might not hear Emil's Shop Song this time around :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Emil is my boy :kimchi: