Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I've seen on some news aggregation sites that Taro has said that they're making some adjustments to accomodate the story in an anime format rather than a video game, but if they don't have the random endings then they eat a poop

Happy Landfill posted:

I'm almost imagining Crunchyroll snapping this license up as a middle finger to McCarley

Also I think they have indeed done this and there's nothing about the old VA's reprising the role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah, true, and thank A2 for that, because the Japanese voice cast are all exceptional. It's no personal loss to me to not have the original EN cast back if they're not, I'd never choose to experience this story with them but it's a huge loss if they aren't, given how loved the EN performance is.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's nailed on to be just route A I reckon, and if it somehow does gangbusters, they might do the rest.

Big actual spoilers for the game, though trying to be as vague as possible:
What happens in the intro of C is really hard to reconcile with trying to sell an anime on the back of a beloved highly popular character like 2B.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah, I wouldn't be too worried about the overall ending, the format allows a different kind of creativity than the game allows, it can't be 1:1, but it will allow them to think outside the box.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Tamba posted:

Watching it deletes your Crunchyroll account.

:pray:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

struggling to find actors who will do it for £2.50 and a greggs

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I hope there's finally a violent end for that rear end in a top hat Jean-Paul

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

I like to imagine he went berserk like the rest of the village and died some ignominious death, preferably with one of his sycophants gnawing on his core.

:hmmyes:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I've just watched it.

The CG is bad, in the typical anime with bad CGI sense.
It's condensing route A and B, as is sensible.
The 2D animation ranges from mid to good, but not great so far.
The VA is amazing, as is the OST, which you'd expect as they're both inherited from the game.

They're going to do some of the most loved endings as post credits scenes with puppets!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Subversion wise:

Other than it being very explicit that there's a love arc going on with 2B and 9S immediately, (i.e. first scene), nothing in this ep.

Also for my money the OP is basic AF and doesn't do much to echo the spirit of the work, but it's not worth losing sleep over.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 7, 2023

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Terrible CGI, budget constraints and cut-corners...

A faithful CAVIA experience

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

the second episode was a lot better imo, more world building and going into interesting parts of automata and less reliance on cgi

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Ammat The Ankh posted:

This is a lot more of what I was hoping for from this series, it was 80% brand new stuff. Including stuff that's conspicuously different than in the game.

I wonder what the implication is that Lily is the resistance leader in this timeline, not Anemone?

Think it just trims the cast down a bit for the sake of adaptations, really.

I don't think we're going to see much like this episode but maybe we'll see a small number. Definitely bodes well for more A2 (best droid) content.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I eagerly await Jackass and my best buddy A2
I do not await when the yorha duo take on the giant robot with the rocket and all that CGI

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

Some of them are in the worldbooks. Can't exactly remember which, though.

Got them to hand.
In book 1:
"Observation Diary of the Orbital Satellite Base, 'The Bunker'"
"Cage of Memories"
In book 2:
"The Delicate Blossom"
"Deafening Silence of the Sea"
"Splinters of Memory"

Incidentally, an official release of Grimoire Noir Revised (to reflect the re-release v1.22whatever) comes out later this year.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jan 19, 2023

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Happy Landfill posted:

Aw gently caress :sigh: that's a huge bummer. I miss his LPs a lot, they were my favorite

Edit: now that I think about it, his original Nier LP was what finally got me to reg an account after years of lurking

I also registered to read TDI's LPs.
I know he had a hard time of it (and that is an understatement) in recent years but I hope he and his fam are doing well.

Yoko Taro contacted him to give him some goodies due to the Nier LP being so loving of the game and positive, as well as his other Taro game LPs.
It's hard to think back in many ways now, especially given Automata is beloved and the V1.22 version of NieR 1 was well received but NieR original released to utter critical disdain and it was a true cult classic.
It has the rep it always deserved now, but I think it's utterly fair to say that TDI is a significant part of why the greater series got its respect.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Facade!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yup, as well as a quest where you go looking for artefacts in the desert which are terribly veiled hints that the desert is on top of where Facade was.

The Robots in the arena at the desert essentially discard of any pretense that they're not learning from Facade's history.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

If anyone here loves Automata but hasn't played Replicant, you should absolutely play it.

It's very different really, but it's really good.

Also, I seem to recall Aoi Yuki being super hype to play the game when it came out and she publicised her adventures with it?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The only PC version of Replicant is v1.22 so I assume Mindblast did play that one.

Fair to say the game is still very stiff and the replaying routes to get endings is significantly less kind than Automata.

In terms of the dad/brother split, given I played the original a long time back and Replicant a couple of times, including at the mo, I think it's a bit of a mixed bag.
Father is definitely better for the first part of the story, but in the second part, I think brother reads just as well in the story. It's a bit less believable that/harder to resonate with the young Nier being as dedicated to Yonah as the dad would be in part 1, in part 2, the young adult brother makes it a bit of a wash.
It certainly makes the Kainé related endings less weird to boot. The age gap and dad Nier being a widow is a bit icky

I would have liked a character select given that it's the definitive release in intent.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I would say probably not a huge amount.
It's the ending E from Grimoire Noir brought into the game itself, and doesn't really retroactively change much of Automata as the content of that ending already existed before Automata's creation. Some of the imagery used in game is changed from the book to match with Automata versus it being a bit vaguer/more generic in Grimoire Noir. the data centre thingy at the forest of myth tree looks like the copied city now, the avatar is based on 2B and 9S instead of a singular character

Most of the stuff that affects Automata from Replicant but isn't actually in a game in the truest sense is the side stories. such as Emil fighting the alien invasion (another jokey thing that oops not a joke!) and beepy giving the machines free will. Think that might have been a Drakengard supplemental tho.

Other aspects that are sort of important in a way is that it's pseudo confirmed that A2's personality is based on Kainé's memories, which in turn also means 2B's is.

One thing I've not really got to the bottom of is the implications of FFXIV's crossover with NieR A. There's not much on the internet to brush up on the FFXIV raid and I cba to watch all the cutscenes back.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jan 25, 2023

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Larryb posted:

Also for that matter, I haven’t played it but how does the new ending/final section in Replicant work exactly? Is it kind of an “Ending F” so to speak or does it replace the final ending of Gestalt?

Related, does Kainé play like Zero from Drakengard 3?

She plays mostly like a rejigged Young Nier.

To unlock ending E, you complete ending D, delete your save and play through to the point where you defeat the big shade with Kainé. She wakes up and it was a nightmare and it carries on as new content from there. You get your deleted save back when all is done.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The commitment makes sense, I just think it's a little bit of a harder sell with how young brother Nier is in part 1.
That said, it also makes some of the supplemental stuff hit harder as well.
Either way, NieR: R... eally good.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Episodes pretty good, the horse stubby is too cute

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Sorry, it's a very long time ago, I wouldn't know where to start other than perhaps in the Drakengard 3 LP intro?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

still very cute
also quite impressed i wasn't far off with my guess of when that was talked about because my brain is actual poo poo

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Cool episode.

Lots of interesting changes and backstory

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I was really worried this would just suck, and the first episode really compounded those worries, but it's turned around to be pretty drat good

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

finally

A2

my fave and there the objective best

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Pascal's too cute god drat it.

A2 attacking first is interesting, of course, she attacked Pascal rather than the androids.
I'm so glad she showed up for real. I would die for her.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I recall reading this is a 26 episoder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

the plague killing the anime is a pretty yoko taro thing to have happened so i wouldn't rule out it never coming back