Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much longer is Twitter going to last?
A few weeks
A few months
A few years
About as long as the rest of humanity
View Results

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

So, Elon Musk is going to make a lot of bad choices that gently caress up a lot of people's lives and suffer no consequences for his actions, right? Is that where this is all headed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Sodomy Hussein posted:

This entire thing has been Elon scoring own goal after own goal on himself, and has not been without consequences. It's not great for Elon when it looks like he forced himself into a situation where he overpaid for an already troubled company, and his immediate, overdramatic mismanagement is causing the ad revenue to freeze up while he does a very public Trump impersonation. Twitter may implode within a matter of weeks at this point.

Yeah, that's kind of my point. Twitter dies, Musk remains rich and moves on to gently caress up something else, and the people who suffer are independent artists who rely on the platform for commission work.

I'm just so tried of incompetent rich people getting to ruin things again and again and again.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Levitate posted:

I can't imagine his ego will allow him to do that

honestly think he's just going to burn it to the ground and then say he's building it back up with a elite group of his own people and it'll be better than ever with all these new bells and whistles but it'll still suck and no one will use it because they'll have all moved on

No, he'll SAY he's building it back and then just never do it.

Not doing things he says he's going to do is his favorite style of business, which is probably for the best because when he actually does do things it always goes terribly.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Star Man posted:

I'm convinced that Elon Musk is destroying Twitter on purpose. Like I can't even believe that he's just that colossally stupid to nuke a company that he just bought from orbit out of incompetence.

No, he really is that stupid.

Look into his history even slightly and you'll see "Oh wow so this guy is just hella dumb".

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Mzbundifund posted:

Yeah the fact that the bank that owns the loan is trying to offload it by any means necessary should tell you that they don’t expect a repayment at all.

https://www.marketplace.org/2022/11/11/banks-that-helped-finance-musks-twitter-purchase-field-low-bids-for-debt/

What I'm wondering is why the bank gave him the loan in the first place.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

So if Musk bought twitter on a loan is it possible for banks to repo it when he doesn't pay them back?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Hmmmm, I hate think Elon Musk sucks, but I also think Apple is a bad company.... really hoping this somehow ends up hurting both of them.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Again, I do not understand why Musk gets to keep Twitter when he paid for it with money he does not have and will never be able to pay back.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

haveblue posted:

These things don't unfold instantaneously, he gets a chance to try for a while. Eventually it will be determined that he has failed and then we see what happens

How long is the time limit on this? Years? Months?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Lol if Chelsea Manning ends up the positive influence.

She and Grimes broke up I think.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Musk is really pushing the limits of the whole "rich people are allowed to do crimes" thing, I wonder how far he'll go before someone in a position of authority bothers to try and stop his blatantly illegal activities.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

You can no longer log into Twitter via your desktop, app is still up but this seems like a major problem.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Wait, so then what's the point of being able to hide your blue check? Anyone who shows up in the "for you tag" is a blue check haver so everyone will know they have one if they're seen there wether they're hiding it or not.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Mar 28, 2023

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

This is all really dumb, when is the first payment on Twitter due again? And how much is owed?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Bluesky is off to a good start because they knew what made Twitter popular with the “verified” status, and launched it with a closed beta with invites to the cool crowd. Now getting into Bluesky is the new “verified.”

edit: Also it's describing itself as "decentralized", and there's a server menu when you try to log in, so I think it's going to be a combination of Mastodon and Twitter. With the "Bluesky" server being operated like Twitter, while people have the option of joining private servers outside of Bluesky's control.

Oh, so it's a twitter/discord hybrid? If they can get the programing right and manage to attract a user base that's actually a really good idea.

I'm assuming the "no screenshots" thing is untrue and based on something taken out of context because that is a wild thing to demand and try to enforce.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah I don’t understand what the motivation is for this

It’s bad for him all around

He's doing it because he's incompetent and bad at managing thing, but rich enough that he never has to personally face consequences for his terrible actions and thin skinned enough that he fires any close to him who offers even the mildest form of criticism.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

PT6A posted:

I think Spirit is a great company. A huge pile of consumers said, "we want the absolute lowest airfares, far lower than would be reasonable," and Spirit was like, "okay, gotcha, watch this!"

The fact that people hate it when they discover they hate exactly what they asked for is funny and good. What did you expect?

Southwest is the lowest, Spirit doesn't even have that going for them.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

StratGoatCom posted:

https://twitter.com/m_d_c_t/status/1668070983498977280

Next in the ongoing social media apocalypse: Discord!

Woah, what? Why would you hire ex-Meta mangers? Meta sucks, and so why hire mangers who worked on a poo poo project to also ruin your business?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

FlamingLiberal posted:

This almost certainly also has something to do with the site’s issues

https://vxtwitter.com/qorigins/status/1675211520651984899?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

I mean, yeah, if your lights go out after you refuse to pay your power bill those things are usually connected.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Wasn't Musk supposed to stop making decisions on how to run Twitter? I thought he agreed to turn it over to someone else.

I still don't fully understand why he made any changes at all, when you buy a new car you don't just pop the hood and start randomly pulling out parts. I know the answer is because he's petty and dumb, but I'm morbidly curious to know the thought process behind why he decided doing all of this was better than just doing nothing which would have been way easier, more effective, and not made him look like a complete jackass in front of millions upon millions of people.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Didn't Musk specifically fire the H1B visa people after hearing people say that's the only reason they still work for him?

That would be super evil and stupid if he did.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Kith posted:

∧,,,∧
  ( ・ω・) I like milkshake!
  ( つ旦O
  と_)_)

∧,,,∧
  ( ・◎・) slrrrp
  ( ゙ノ ヾ
  と_)_)

∧,,,∧
  ( ・ω・) Hmm, tastes like prion disease...
  ( つ旦O
  と_)_)

∧,,,∧
  ( ・ω・)
  ( つ O. __
  と_)_) (__()、;.o:。
          ゚・:.。
      _ _  ξ
    (´   `ヽ、     __
  ⊂,_と(    )⊃  (__()、;.o:。
      V V           ゚・:.。

The ancient ancestor of the grimace shake.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Shadowlyger posted:

Isn't Katie like, a literal rocket scientist?

Yup, when she isn't making comics or playing video games she is an actual rocket scientist. This is a real thing, she has an engineering degree and has made parts for things that have gone into space. Katie Tiedrich is a cool lady.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Mercury_Storm posted:

This is probably just a publicity stunt from both sides, honestly.

I mean it's a good publicity stunt for Zuckerberg, via comparison he's coming off as way better, but Musk is making himself look like a total loser so I don't know what he's getting out of it.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Wait, is this legal? Don't Apple and Google require that block be an option as part of basic safety features required for apps?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Tree Reformat posted:

Given how despite repeated times in the last year people made a stink about leaving for the latest "Twitter Killer" only to inevitably come crawling back a couple weeks later, this has proven to be a surprisingly effective strategy thus far!

Not really, Twitter has less users now. Like, some did what you said, but others really did leave for good and there aren't a lot of new users coming in.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Young Freud posted:

Something that's buried in the New Yorker article, Musk is on Ketamine. Supposedly microdosing it, but it's believed by a bunch of his colleagues he's actually dosing it with how much he's taking.

....it is baffling to me that Musk is still alive.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

SgtSteel91 posted:

So I finally got an invite code to BlueSky and, as I feared, the exclusivity of the platform means I don’t find much fanart, which is the number one reason I’m on social media 😔

Yeah, until it's open access, it isn't very artist friendly. I figure that'll change once the platform opens up, but that'll likely take years.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Yeah, blue sky is going to be big eventually as Twitter starts to clear out, so if you're an artist getting an account now and sitting on it until it opens up to the general public will probably be a good long term investment.

I may be proven wrong here, but we'll see.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Morrow posted:

It'll eventually have to open, but it's probably going to remain closed until they 1) fix some system architecture issues and 2) come up with a reliable method to reduce the number of bots.

Did Twitter ever come up with a reliable way to reduce the number of bots? Because it doesn't seem like they did.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Even if I had suffered sufficient head trauma to want to sign up for an account, there's no power on earth that could convince me handing credit or bank account information over to a Musk owned company was a good idea after seeing Tesla's repeated shenanigans.

Yeah, "don't trust Elon Musk with money" is like the one lesson everyone should have learned from this whole ordeal. They should have known this before, but for some reason banks were willing to piss away millions on him so he could buy a website for a funny meme number of dollars so I guess some people were unaware of this valuable piece of advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Twitter is down, has Musk finally killed it?