Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I kept using the bolter because it blows up your enemies and looks cool as long as you're comfortable and enjoy dumping the mag like a legend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

40 Proof Listerine posted:

Bolter suffers a bit from all the HP buffs to the enemies in Patch 13 and losing a lot of breakpoints without really buffing it up from the tree.

It still rips through folks if you have Surgical blessing and are on a Veteran and it's funny how on a shot by shot basis the Revolver does like double the damage.

Its the awkward combo of Pinning Fire nerf, the class overhaul making a lot of the things that helped make bolter work for Veteran specifically extremely spread out, Zealot not always having access to charge for the arnor ignoring, and the enemy HP buffs dropping the ammo efficiency heavily.

Much like a lot of other weapons you can still make use of it even on Damnation, but man it just feels so bad to use and the power it brings just doesn't make up for that...

And if you want precision removal, Plasma is just better and doesn't require pausing to ADS for a crit. Bolter is still a better emergency burst weapon.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

toasterwarrior posted:

they update more often and tbh im still very not happy with their balance and content at this moment, so as far as im concerned poo poo's a wash

also lol at the whole "you can farm premium currency in game" thing; good for them because fatshark at least never gated gameplay affecting content behind premium poo poo outside of expansions.

Why are weapons locked behind DLC careers that are only buyable with real cash OK (eg: Bret Longsword) , but not if they're in an ingame earnable premium warbond? Genuinely curious why and what the distinction is in your eyes and why the latter one is such an apparent insult?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Fishstick posted:

Why are weapons locked behind DLC careers that are only buyable with real cash OK (eg: Bret Longsword) , but not if they're in an ingame earnable premium warbond? Genuinely curious why and what the distinction is in your eyes and why the latter one is such an apparent insult?

they're only comparing Darktide and HD2, not any of Fatshark's previous games. Tbh I think that it's a fair thing to point out how they handled Vermintide as well, but as of this moment there haven't been any DLC classes or weapons added to Darktide if you ignore VT and VT2.

It is kind of a bummer that armor in HD2 isn't divorced from mechanical benefits. DT def has that over it, though HD2 at least makes it possible to get "premium" cosmetics for just a time investment.

As for the premium warbonds, they are a little disingenuous to new players that don't understand yet how warbonds work. I made the mistake of slapping down some cash for the premium warbond up front, not quite realizing how much time investment was required to get the items in the bond, or even that buying it just made them available to acquire and not use up front.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
i did consider that and at least to me they're just, you know, expansions. just like the old days everyone's got rose colored glasses for, and in a sense more direct about their intent to give you a thing in exchange for money. the logic isn't perfectly sound for that argument but whatever, there's a bunch of other issues i have with hd2's premium model that tick me off about it, most of which is that the poo poo they give you is mostly fuckin trash

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
actually, that reminded me: the way warbonds work, you often find yourself just buying random crap or poo poo weapons in order to progress through the pages instead of just being able to buy whatever you want outright. there's already big jumps in prices as you progress through the pages, having to get stuff you don't even care for just to be able to buy the thing you're actually targeting is a bad feeling. at least the tide games just let me craft or buy stuff the moment i can access them

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHjtJVu2GHY

Janfon has a new trailer out for his next Vermintide Fanimated crossover video. He-Man Krubah!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

toasterwarrior posted:

actually, that reminded me: the way warbonds work, you often find yourself just buying random crap or poo poo weapons in order to progress through the pages instead of just being able to buy whatever you want outright. there's already big jumps in prices as you progress through the pages, having to get stuff you don't even care for just to be able to buy the thing you're actually targeting is a bad feeling. at least the tide games just let me craft or buy stuff the moment i can access them

Yet you're happy to farm the same weapon over and over trying to strike it lucky with rng.

Also last login to Helldivers I got like 100 medals for community campaign missions that I barely had anything to do with. Put me straight onto deep page two of the new warbond. I'll have the lightning shotty after one play session. The game is very generous with progression.

JBP fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Mar 15, 2024

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I've seen a few folks complain about weapon RNG ITT and honestly I'm curious to what extent you're hunting for perfect weapons. Like yeah I check the shop whenever I log in but if there's some new weapon I want to try I can usually get a 'good enough' setup with maybe 15 rolls. The vast, vast majority of the time I just sit on the weapons I already have and melt down weapons that have blessings I want. I'm at a point where if I want my core 2-3 builds on each character to get any better I'd have to basically roll perfect weapons but my attitude towards that is basically "pffft no thanks" and I just go with what I already have in my stash, which is Good Enough.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
The real rng hell is the inital farm of the blessings, since its up to rewards/shop greens/melk/luck.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Homeless Friend posted:

The real rng hell is the inital farm of the blessings, since its up to rewards/shop greens/melk/luck.

The blessings could just be unlocks like mods for each weapon. I don't really dig the gun system, but the new skill trees were really good.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

JBP posted:

Yet you're happy to farm the same weapon over and over trying to strike it lucky with rng.

yes, the farming is p easy, i dont obsess over perfection

Mendrian posted:

I've seen a few folks complain about weapon RNG ITT and honestly I'm curious to what extent you're hunting for perfect weapons. Like yeah I check the shop whenever I log in but if there's some new weapon I want to try I can usually get a 'good enough' setup with maybe 15 rolls. The vast, vast majority of the time I just sit on the weapons I already have and melt down weapons that have blessings I want. I'm at a point where if I want my core 2-3 builds on each character to get any better I'd have to basically roll perfect weapons but my attitude towards that is basically "pffft no thanks" and I just go with what I already have in my stash, which is Good Enough.

p much. ill get a grey, if it's got good stats then that's a base to work with, if not and i want to learn the weapon regardless, ill take the difficulty down a bunch. like with the older tides, most of a weapon's effectiveness is in the operator's hands

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Mendrian posted:

It's not really the stats but the blessings. There are still quite a few important level 4 blessings that I'm still chasing (looking at you, Power Cycler IV) even after over 500 hours in the game.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
The best way to accumulate melk points is for him to never give you anything worth buying.

Devils Affricate posted:

It's not really the stats but the blessings. There are still quite a few important level 4 blessings that I'm still chasing (looking at you, Power Cycler IV) even after over 500 hours in the game.

With over 400 hours in this game I have never seen a warhammer with thrust higher than 2.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Devils Affricate posted:

yep, want inspiring barrage for the shredder? 3% chance beyotch.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

it is coincidental that there's a couple of really good weapons that have very few blessings, making it not too hard to get lucky

as mentioned before, the shredder is a pain in the loving butt to get blessings for. the power sword has twelve loving blessings, so gently caress you if you want to use one without farming a hundred thousand goddamn plasteel. A whole bunch of the guns, the goddamn bolter, several clubs, Ogryn shovel.... it's not great.

Most damningly, the gatcha progression system does nothing to provide any kind of instruction or steerage to new and novice players. There's very little room for experimentation in such a random, destructive, constrained weapon progression system. I would love to experiment with a couple ideas that are floating around in my head, but each one costs several hours if not tens of hours of time farming and farming and farming, often for little payout because the developer is sometimes flat out wrong about what a blessing actually does.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Potato Salad posted:

because the developer is sometimes flat out wrong about what a blessing actually does.

As much as I enjoy Darktide, it boggles the mind how often we've seen blessings or talents that do the opposite of what they're meant to, or apply some weird undocumented side effect buff/debuff.

That Veteran talent which was supposed to provide damage reduction after a weakspot kill, but actually made the player take increased damage. That seems like the kind of thing that would result in a hotfix two days later, but it took multiple patches over multiple months to resolve.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Potato Salad posted:

it is coincidental that there's a couple of really good weapons that have very few blessings, making it not too hard to get lucky

as mentioned before, the shredder is a pain in the loving butt to get blessings for. the power sword has twelve loving blessings, so gently caress you if you want to use one without farming a hundred thousand goddamn plasteel. A whole bunch of the guns, the goddamn bolter, several clubs, Ogryn shovel.... it's not great.

Most damningly, the gatcha progression system does nothing to provide any kind of instruction or steerage to new and novice players. There's very little room for experimentation in such a random, destructive, constrained weapon progression system. I would love to experiment with a couple ideas that are floating around in my head, but each one costs several hours if not tens of hours of time farming and farming and farming, often for little payout because the developer is sometimes flat out wrong about what a blessing actually does.

I disagree that the system discourages or even outright harms experimentation, quite the opposite. Especially for newer players with fewer resources you might as well use a weapon you rolled while trying to get the resources for another try. Or you don't roll purely optimal so you end up using a blessing you wouldn't otherwise and can discover better what difference it makes.

Mind you it's a far from perfect system, but when actually making a mostly optimal weapon it takes me 2-3 tries at most so long as I have the relevant blessings banked already.

And fwiw while finding the right t4 blessings kinda sucks for some weapons, it's infinitely better than finding a t2 blessing. Fatshark def needs to add a way to get lower tier exclusive blessings that doesn't involve staring at The armoury every hour and praying.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Arc Light posted:

As much as I enjoy Darktide, it boggles the mind how often we've seen blessings or talents that do the opposite of what they're meant to, or apply some weird undocumented side effect buff/debuff.

That Veteran talent which was supposed to provide damage reduction after a weakspot kill, but actually made the player take increased damage. That seems like the kind of thing that would result in a hotfix two days later, but it took multiple patches over multiple months to resolve.

imo they must have a rigid workflow because that was bonkers.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Ichabod Tane posted:

imo they must have a rigid workflow because that was bonkers.

Remember in VT2 they fixed a long standing error but pushed the wrong version to public, so everyone was still complaining about the bug but their internal versions were still fine. This persisted for like a year until they quietly pushed the right version out.

Something about their pipelines and version control is hosed.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Devils Affricate posted:

This is fair, but the difference between a t3 and a t4 blessing in most cases is like... 5%. Even t2 blessings are fine when that's an option.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Mendrian posted:

This is fair, but the difference between a t3 and a t4 blessing in most cases is like... 5%. Even t2 blessings are fine when that's an option.

There are some where it's significant, especially for blessings that have stacks and larger numbers. If you're getting an extra 10% per stack it's important, less so when it's like an extra 1% (barring weird one shot breakpoints)

Power Cycler still feels like a weird outlier in terms of just being way too effective despite technically just being an effort saver/ease of use blessing rather than an actual numerical boost. Fatshark really should just wrap it into the base kit of psword and remove it.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Evil Kit posted:

I disagree that the system discourages or even outright harms experimentation, quite the opposite. Especially for newer players with fewer resources you might as well use a weapon you rolled while trying to get the resources for another try. Or you don't roll purely optimal so you end up using a blessing you wouldn't otherwise and can discover better what difference it makes.

Mind you it's a far from perfect system, but when actually making a mostly optimal weapon it takes me 2-3 tries at most so long as I have the relevant blessings banked already.

And fwiw while finding the right t4 blessings kinda sucks for some weapons, it's infinitely better than finding a t2 blessing. Fatshark def needs to add a way to get lower tier exclusive blessings that doesn't involve staring at The armoury every hour and praying.

I see it, yeah. also I agree with your t2/t4 part wholeheartedly

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Evil Kit posted:

There are some where it's significant, especially for blessings that have stacks and larger numbers. If you're getting an extra 10% per stack it's important, less so when it's like an extra 1% (barring weird one shot breakpoints)

Power Cycler still feels like a weird outlier in terms of just being way too effective despite technically just being an effort saver/ease of use blessing rather than an actual numerical boost. Fatshark really should just wrap it into the base kit of psword and remove it.

I would be happy for PC to be just rolled into the base power sword, but they'd need to then nerf something with damage, or cleave or whatever on the weapon because now you'd have 2 damage boosting blessings instead of just 1.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

at release power swords were functionally rank 4 PC power swords all the time and yeah it was busted as poo poo

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

skaianDestiny posted:

Remember in VT2 they fixed a long standing error but pushed the wrong version to public, so everyone was still complaining about the bug but their internal versions were still fine. This persisted for like a year until they quietly pushed the right version out.

i just imagine a building full of swedish chef clones

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

skaianDestiny posted:

i didn't remember that until you brought it up but yeah and lol.

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006
Just wanted to show off this beautiful curio that actually rolled well during consecration.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Cretin90 posted:

Just wanted to show off this beautiful curio that actually rolled well during consecration.

imo change sniper res to toughness or health or revive speed but hell

yeah that's a really nice curio

tangy yet delightful posted:

I would be happy for PC to be just rolled into the base power sword, but they'd need to then nerf something with damage, or cleave or whatever on the weapon because now you'd have 2 damage boosting blessings instead of just 1.

K Prime posted:

at release power swords were functionally rank 4 PC power swords all the time and yeah it was busted as poo poo

I'm well aware of what Power Sword was like on release lmao, part of the issue was also that all the other melee weapons were just significantly worse for a long while. Other weapons have enough power now I wouldn't mind Psword getting PC getting rolled into basekit, probably just the t3 version and not the t4. Two swings vs three swings is a significant different for horde clear or larger targets.

I do kinda wish it had less damage blessings though, I'd like to see more choice in the blessings that modify the powered state instead. Hell, a cool blessing could be like "when killing enemies with powered swings, allies in coherency get X toughness restored". Lemme be even more supportive of my friends.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

A big part of the problem with the power sword wasn't power cycler but that it also sawed crushers in loving half.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Cretin90 posted:

:shepspends:

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

A big part of the problem with the power sword wasn't power cycler but that it also sawed crushers in loving half.

the problem was it did everything (including crushers) and was brain dead easy to boot. It was also the only thing propping up Vet in melee on Damnation because none of the other options were comparable. Power Cycler just further enabled it.

Even after its initial nerfs it still remained king poo poo and ironically Power Cycler became more necessary. Now with the class overhaul and all the buffs other melee weapons got it's not king poo poo because everything else is viable. Ironically, the mk3 sword is kinda back up there to being kinda brain dead but the pattern to kill crushers is at least unique and not "spam powered heavy swings", and you need to actually hit heads with the lights for your horde clear.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Ditching PC as a blessing and rolling tier 4 into the default PS does sound rather overpowered, but if they used tier 3 then all the people who had tier 4 would rage. I don't like the idea of nerfing its damage because the PS is a 40k icon and should be a powerful weapon. IMO make the activation cost ammo, or give it a heat system like the plasma gun.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Evil Kit posted:

and you need to actually hit heads with the lights for your horde clear.

I believe the way energized attacks work out, a light hits mass <= 3 and a heavy hits mass <=7, so you still want to heavy attack spam heads to smack as many groaners as possible, right?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
PS MkIII with Cycler 4 is still pretty amazing and it's a great alternative for dealing with crusher groups when your plasma gun is waiting for a reload and you didn't bring krak grenades.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Potato Salad posted:

I believe the way energized attacks work out, a light hits mass <= 3 and a heavy hits mass <=7, so you still want to heavy attack spam heads to smack as many groaners as possible, right?

hm, right sorry I conflated the marks. Mk6 you spam lights for horde clear and need Brutal Momentum so the weakspot kills ignore hit mass, mk3 is the og.

Devils Affricate posted:

Ditching PC as a blessing and rolling tier 4 into the default PS does sound rather overpowered, but if they used tier 3 then all the people who had tier 4 would rage. I don't like the idea of nerfing its damage because the PS is a 40k icon and should be a powerful weapon. IMO make the activation cost ammo, or give it a heat system like the plasma gun.

As a power cycler 4 haver who did in fact invest a significant amount into getting it banked: gently caress'em. Fatshark has ripped that bandaid off before and Power Sword would be an infinitely more interesting weapon without one blessing slot being taken up by PC. Pinning Fire was nerfed and Brutal Momentum was reworked because they had the same issue for all the weapons they were on.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I think they should rework the PS's mechanic entirely. We've already got force swords and chain weapons with the "press special to waste a second and make your next attack more powerful" pattern, we don't need a third whole family.

My personal suggestion is to make it a toggle - special turns the power on and off, and instead of having to press the button every few attacks, there's a limited battery that recharges on ammo pickups.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Updog? More like Downward Dog.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...f9aa881ebb52fe&

P.S. this was an insane run I had to carry, I got 6+ rescues with the Psyker being most of them, and had to solo clutch at least 3 times.

megane posted:

I think they should rework the PS's mechanic entirely. We've already got force swords and chain weapons with the "press special to waste a second and make your next attack more powerful" pattern, we don't need a third whole family.

My personal suggestion is to make it a toggle - special turns the power on and off, and instead of having to press the button every few attacks, there's a limited battery that recharges on ammo pickups.

I'd much rather it be a rechargeable bar that just needs time. Ammo pick ups should be related to either ranged weapons or blitzes, not melee weapons.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Make the power sword use the brain burst meter, don't even have to make new UI assets that way. :hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006
What are you all using to install mods? I know I'm just a big ol' dummy but Vortex seems to be poorly implemented with this game. I can explain the steps I took if anyone wants but it seems like it would legit be easier to do the manual installation method since Vortex isn't managing my mod load order anyway and I have to manually write the mod names into the load file.