Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
To be fair, there are a lot of blight removal powers with plant element that work very well for Wildfire. Obviously you want Fire+Plant cards and if you luck into the sacred flame blight removal power then you're golden, but the main Fire thresholds you care about hitting are 2 and 4 so if you have a spare card play after hitting those thresholds then playing a non-fire plant card is better than playing a non-plant fire card (especially if that plant card removes blight.) But yeah, it's a struggle and events/blight card flips can be devastating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
I’m playing on the app, so no rules issues. True solo so there really isn’t a blight buffer. Sometimes just flipping the blight card at all mid cascade runs me out of blight. To be fair I am stubbornly trying to beat the random scenario the game put me in (Blitz against England 4), but there’s just no middle ground it seems. I’m either careful with the blight and end up with pockets of lands I can’t do as much on and get overrun, or I’m liberal with the blight and just get annihilated the first time something bad happens.

I just realized in Blitz you get one less blight after flipping the card, which explains a lot of the instalosses.

I bumped it down to England 2 and won after like 10 tries. Hardest “difficulty 4” game ever.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jan 31, 2024

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Lambo Trillrissian posted:

Same, Wildfire feels absolutely miserable to me against any serious challenge. I keep trying to make it work but it just feels bad against every level 6 adversary. You have to flood the board with blight but you get inordinately punished if the blight card flips to any presence removal effect. You place presence, blight, lose presence, and then can't move back in without cascading. Your blight removal is range zero so it can only remove blight where you already are, it can't help you move in somewhere you need to be. If other spirits support you to bail you out that support feels like wasted card plays that could have been better used elsewhere because the payoff is that you'll be in the exact same bad spot again next turn. It absolutely needs something more to manipulate or move blight like Wounded Waters' blight gathering. Having to dig through the power deck to fix your problems feels bad because most of those powers don't have elements you need. Maybe these problems are exacerbated for me because I mostly play duo games, it doesn't feel quite as punishing in a 4 player match with a bigger blight pool but anyone who takes Wildfire still feels like a liability. The only time Wildfire's mechanics feel good are when you have no real opposition, as soon as something goes wrong you just don't have the tools for making a comeback.

The best I ever did against a level 6 I lost against England to timeout because I spent half my card plays fixing problems I'd caused myself instead of actually advancing a win condition. And that was my best game.

Just to be clear, you mean place presence, blight the land you grew into, then lose presence later by some other effect, right? Wildfire doesn't lose presence by placing blight, but losing presence to enemy action isn't super common either.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

John Lee posted:

Just to be clear, you mean place presence, blight the land you grew into, then lose presence later by some other effect, right? Wildfire doesn't lose presence by placing blight, but losing presence to enemy action isn't super common either.

They know, they're saying "You have to flood the board with blight but you get inordinately punished if the blight card flips to any presence removal effect."

Heart of the Wildfire has always looked strong to me but I've only seen it in four-player games where it can have some extra blight without flipping the blight card.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Elysium posted:

I just realized in Blitz you get one less blight after flipping the card, which explains a lot of the instalosses.

Oh poo poo, yeah, not a Blitz player but I bet that it does suck extra hard for Wildfire since a lot of the advantages that are supposed to offset your disadvantage are timing-based. IIRC the Blitz rules give you a bonus for fast powers, but not for spirit phase effects, because those barely existed at the time. So if being able to burn invaders in the spirit phase is an important perk for you, congrats, that is no longer noticeably faster than slow powers and you get nothing to compensate.

1secondpersecond
Nov 12, 2008

I like to focus on bottom-track growth, alternating between the second and third growth options to keep my hand full and have enough energy for multiple plays. I try to threshold the first innate and pair it with Flame's Fury so I can wipe out a town early on and use the damage from presence placement to eliminate explorers before the build. If it looks like 2 damage can prevent blight placement from ravage in a land, I'll place a presence from the top track and take the blight at that stage instead of the invader stage and then start targeting lands where either presence placement can eliminate the threat, or presence placement + Firestorm can.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Your Target may vary but I just saw Horizons on clearance for all of 9 dollars. Basically a steal.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
I played a 3 spirit game with Wildfire. It was like cheatmode compared to true solo, having all that extra blight to work with.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I finally got Nature Incarnate and I'm back on the solo Spirit Island train after being away for a while. I'm so rusty.

My friends want to play a six player game on a night starting at 8 PM. I've only ever played true solo, and I get some incredible analysis paralysis playing on my own, going back on decisions (as long as I've not revealed any hidden information), etc. and it takes me about an hour and a half against a mid-tier adversary. How long does a six player game take with people not super familiar with the game?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Uh, long. I mean, not six times as long as 1P, but three hours, maybe longer. If possible I'd suggest have an early dinner and start at like 7 - and do not play the time-travel spirit.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Yeah, I would probably count on 4 hours, and it might get worse if people don't stay on top of things. It might be a good idea to split things into two islands just so people can kind of narrow their focus, and also to have something convenient to throw at anyone who thinks about pulling out Fractured Days or Finder.

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007
Give yourself a 4 hour window for a 6 person game to be sure. It's not guaranteed to go that long but it's likely enough, especially if your group likes table chatter. Better to give everyone enough space to enjoy it without stressing for time.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
I haven’t played a lot of multiplayer but my advice is to encourage everyone to actually not try to work with other players too much, just take care of their own poo poo and of course offer help when they have cards that target another player. What makes a game really long is when you are constantly checking if its better for someone else if you do x or y, or if Z happens then next turn player 3 can help player 2, but if you can’t help this turn then player 5 can do q now, multiplied by 6 players…

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Elysium posted:

I haven’t played a lot of multiplayer but my advice is to encourage everyone to actually not try to work with other players too much, just take care of their own poo poo and of course offer help when they have cards that target another player. What makes a game really long is when you are constantly checking if its better for someone else if you do x or y, or if Z happens then next turn player 3 can help player 2, but if you can’t help this turn then player 5 can do q now, multiplied by 6 players…

Indeed, mainly focus on your own lands. Too much to track otherwise. The few things we do communicate is when someone has a problem in some of "their" lands/ might take a blight, if someone has a power that gives a boost to another player, and if lots of tikens or Dahan will be shuffled around.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
I opened a random solo game with Keeper against France 3 on West Thematic, and I just don’t see how to win this. You start with 5 towns on the board, so if you can’t clear several towns and/or prevent multiple builds in the first 2 turns you just lose. If the initial build is Jungle and you don’t pick up a useful power the first turn, you start with 0 available towns to be placed next turn unless you spend all your energy on Towering Wrath to kill one town.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
France is pretty unbalanced in general on the thematic boards. Back when you still resolved an event on the first turn it was possible to lose turn 1.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Jagged Earth coming to Steam on the 29th.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Played Wandering Voice Keens Delirium solo. Lost two presence and got two blight in the first ravage step and there was nothing I could have done about it. Might be the worst solo spirit? Its rules are too much for me to give it a second try.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
I think you must have gotten a rule wrong, you can add a whole lot of unrest before the first ravage. Definitely a weird spirit though.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Yeah, isn't Wandering Voice hyper-mobile too? If it sux hit the brix and all that

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Jagged Earth coming to Steam on the 29th.

Live on iOS now

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

LifeLynx posted:

Played Wandering Voice Keens Delirium solo. Lost two presence and got two blight in the first ravage step and there was nothing I could have done about it. Might be the worst solo spirit? Its rules are too much for me to give it a second try.

You should straight up win 99% of the games you don't lose before turn 4, assuming you play the Good Build© that lets you play your 4 cards every turn to hit all your innates. It's kinda like River on crack.

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

Eraflure posted:

You should straight up win 99% of the games you don't lose before turn 4, assuming you play the Good Build© that lets you play your 4 cards every turn to hit all your innates. It's kinda like River on crack.

What is this Good Build? I’ve only played them twice and nothing jumped out at me like an obvious progression.

Tenebrous Tourist fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Feb 29, 2024

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Tenebrous Tourist posted:

What is this Good Build? I’ve only played them twice and nothing jumped out at me like an obvious progression.

It's just the same as River's best opening with an extra presence for energy. Not sure how this made it past playtesting.

Turn 1
G2 top bottom
Play either 1 cost power, nothing else

Turn 2
G2 bottom bottom
You could play the other 1 cost power and be fine, but it's usually better to only play Exhale Confusion. Banking 1 extra Energy this turn lets you gain cards with Turmoil every turn, which can be forgotten to pay for events. Take some blight to scale, this is a weak turn no matter what.

Turn 3
G2 bottom bottom
Reclaim Exhale, play Exhale + both cards you haven't played yet

After turn 3
G1 forever and play your 4 basic cards, you'll never place another presence again but it doesn't matter since your incarna moves every turn. Enjoy your fear + strife factory.

Don't play this against Prussia 6 or France 6 though.

Eraflure fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Mar 1, 2024

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Settle in to Hunting Grounds is loving obnoxious in the app. Hope you like clicking 5-6 times what you want your presence to count as every. single. action. for the rest of the turn.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Dissolve the Bonds of Kinship didn't work in coop, it asked us to vote for which city to melt and the other players didn't see the vote. Rewinding and ignoring the card let us continue.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Elysium posted:

Settle in to Hunting Grounds is loving obnoxious in the app. Hope you like clicking 5-6 times what you want your presence to count as every. single. action. for the rest of the turn.

How appropriate for a card Fangs wants, lol.

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

Eraflure posted:

Enjoy your fear + strife factory.

Wow 7 guaranteed fear per turn on top of all the control/damage is absolutely nuts, not to mention the free minor power card (that you probably won’t end up playing) every turn.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Been grinding out some Hapsburg Livestock games to understand the matchup better (level 4-5) and there are some really neat tricks/strategy to get around the Durable ability (+2 health on Towns unless land is blighted). We’ve been allowing most phase 1 ravages to go through, only trying to stop the 8+ damage loss condition and picking off new explorers where we can prevent the town gather or create a pocket. The extra blight mitigates the escalation effect and gives you more areas that towns are normal in, which is really great if you can hit a town for 2 and their own build gathers a damaged town into a blighted land for you. This means the Island card is nearly always flipped to blighted, but it gives you a foundation to make up the ground in phase 2.

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007
Got horribly owned by Russia 6 last night trying Enticing Bodan for the first time because I passed on Jungle Hungers turn one and instantly regretted it for the entire game. Enticing is really fun to combo with Breath of Darkness releasing all their abductions into your designated "no one does any damage here" dump land but boy howdy would that have been better if I'd been dream killing that giant stack of a dozen+ towns every turn.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Fellis posted:

Been grinding out some Hapsburg Livestock games to understand the matchup better (level 4-5) and there are some really neat tricks/strategy to get around the Durable ability (+2 health on Towns unless land is blighted). We’ve been allowing most phase 1 ravages to go through, only trying to stop the 8+ damage loss condition and picking off new explorers where we can prevent the town gather or create a pocket. The extra blight mitigates the escalation effect and gives you more areas that towns are normal in, which is really great if you can hit a town for 2 and their own build gathers a damaged town into a blighted land for you. This means the Island card is nearly always flipped to blighted, but it gives you a foundation to make up the ground in phase 2.

I've only played them at a lower level but I really like how they feel as overwhelming as England or France but have a less bullshit loss condition

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Just played a game with Stone against England 5 and after it was done I had like a dozen blight on the board. I was curious what it would be like to play a second wave, and it just puts all that blight back on the blight card so you have like triple the amount of regular blight after the card flips.

Which made absolutely no difference and I got my face smashed in by consecutive half dozen blight cascades because I’m not actually good enough to beat England 5, Stone is just apparently some power creep bs

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Stone is strong and England is one of its best adversary matchups. Its fine that there are strong and weak spirits, its good to stomp sometimes when you have some tilting sequence of events.

Speaking of, my biggest tilter lately has been the fear deck, it’s always serving up powerful effects when they have no impact, and anytime i roll the dice on fear cards making a save i get something else. I’ve even had two fear cards cancel each other out when one card stopped builds, but another card made the build card not move to ravage so we got the build anyway the next turn :argh:

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I’ve only played Stone once and I do not have a good handle on how to pilot them. I’m aware that it’s extremely capable of flatly ridiculous things but I was almost never in a position that actually. let me do those things.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
In my short experience it’s pretty simple. Step 1, put your presence where the invaders are. Step 2, profit.

It basically doesn’t matter what the invaders do, ravage wise, the blight doesn’t kill you or cascade and it’s from the box (if you meet the usually easy to meet requirements), and the more damage they do in the land the more gets reflected back on them. So as long as you steer clear of the other loss conditions, it’s just like “do whatever until eventually you can drop a few nukes on them.”

Vengeance on the other hand, seems like it could be powerful but takes very careful piloting to actually realize that power.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
I played my first game of Starlight, which was pretty interesting and different. I’m pretty sure I did everything correctly except for one thing, which was pretty much the crux of the entire game. So for quite a while I basically didn’t really DO anything, except gain cards and energy and occasionally defend. Then I unlocked the track which was play an extra card and use one card fast. So I played 3 cards, all of which were natively fast, Unlock the Gates of Deepest Power, Powerstorm, and some minor. So with thresholded gates I gained a slow major, with elements that thresholded powerstorm. I then powerstorm Gates, gain another slow major. After paying for both majors I was out of energy, but my question is, can I play one of those majors that I just gained fast, per my track, and if I were to powerstorm that major, would it be fast again?

During this process I also thresholded every single innate except one lol.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Mar 10, 2024

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007

Elysium posted:

I played my first game of Starlight, which was pretty interesting and different. I’m pretty sure I did everything correctly except for one thing, which was pretty much the crux of the entire game. So for quite a while I basically didn’t really DO anything, except gain cards and energy and occasionally defend. Then I unlocked the track which was play an extra card and use one card fast. So I played 3 cards, all of which were natively fast, Unlock the Gates of Deepest Power, Powerstorm, and some minor. So with thresholded gates I gained a slow major, with elements that thresholded powerstorm. I then powerstorm Gates, gain another slow major. After paying for both majors I was out of energy, but my question is, can I play one of those majors that I just gained fast, per my track, and if I were to powerstorm that major, would it be fast again?

That's a badass combo and I'm pretty sure the ruling is that yes, if you repeat a slow card that has been made fast the repeat is also fast, and if you haven't used your one fast power from the track you can use it for that.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Afaik, if one power turns something fast, and another power repeats it, the repeat is also fast

1secondpersecond
Nov 12, 2008

Elysium posted:

One of my favorite paths for Starlight is to start milling majors really early. A good friend of mine runs a really extreme version of this that you can see in action here, where he challenges the host of Solo Playthroughs to defeat Sweden 6 using it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiabOWXkX_g&t=458s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Apparently I’m going to get NI in April now. Lmao, and might I add, lol