Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Dr. Jim Sadler posted:

Where’s the MRNA gang? Too lazy to dig up my post from a few months ago where I posted my current positions, but popped 20% today on cancer vaccine news, so up over 50% overall on it now. Course if you find that post, everything else I own has been down.

I'm in MRNA but I believe I'm still down significantly on my position :shepicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

DoubleT2172 posted:

When do you cut your losses with SOFI?

Just keep averaging down until the stock is delisted

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I've had ChatGPT give me some very confidently wrong answers on questions that weren't just easily answerable by a search (e.g. questions that required actually reading through parts of multiple search results for me to actually be confident in the answer). For these types of answers, I'd like to see it provide links to websites that support its answers so that I can verify the answer if necessary. Otherwise that makes it hard to have any confidence in the service for questions that involve some sort of objective facts.

In terms of information access, Facebook is the absolute worst because tons of information is now hidden behind its walled garden due to Groups. Many communities now primarily exist as private (mainly just to ward off bots/spammers) FB Groups which aren't indexed by search engines. Communities that previously would primarily live on indexable forums or sub-reddits (which are also indexed by search engines). This means instead of using a single search engine that can return results from multiple different forums, reddit, stack exchange, etc., I have to sometimes also go to FB, find the major groups for the given community and then also search that group using FB's terrible group search feature.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
If we're not yet using the farts of a driver to spool another turbine to compress more air we still have more ICE research to do

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Chamath SPACs were generally great as long as you didn't hold the resulting companies long term

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Red posted:

Wal-Mart is where rural people go to spend an afternoon or evening and/or to buy anything and everything.

Some small towns have a Wal-Mart and not much else.

Yup. I lived in a smaller college town of ~10k for a couple years while my SO was in grad school. Walmart and a regional chain grocery that wasn't any higher quality than Walmart were the only options. Nearest Target was around 80 miles away in the closest major city. Between my town and the Target there were 2 or 3 smaller towns that also had Walmarts. This county went blue both Trump elections but everyone still shopped at Walmart.

e: before this I hadn't shopped at Walmart more than a couple times in my life. After this my opinion is Target is just an overpriced version of Walmart, as the quality isn't much different, and if I had to go to one I'd try to find a Walmart over Target for most things.

Splinter fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jun 4, 2023

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Airbnb-like things are still decent for larger groups. The problem is 90% of what's on Airbnb is also on vrbo and vrbo/expedia/hotels.com are all the same company and it seems like they're moving towards being a unified option that brings hotels and vacation rentals together into one ecosystem. I think currently Airbnb is surviving on brand but unless they also fully lean into hotel bookings as well (there are already a fair number of hotel bookings on Airbnb, but generally its more expensive options) I'm not sure how they'll compete.

e: for example earlier this winter I was looking into a few condo rentals in the Tahoe area on Airbnb and I ended up finding the same (or at least similar) units in the same complex for cheaper on expedia

Splinter fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jun 28, 2023

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I mean getting a bunch of hotel rooms just isn't the same experience as getting a big house. But Airbnb also isn't the only game in town for those either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

FistEnergy posted:

Google Photos has automatically sorted my cats for years. as usual, the iPhone is years behind.

iPhone has Google Photos