Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

June 11, 1993...

Dr. Ian Malcolm posted:

“We imagine the edge of chaos as a place where there is enough innovation to keep a living system vibrant, and enough stability to keep it from collapsing into anarchy. It is a zone of conflict and upheaval, where the old and the new are constantly at War.”

Welcome... to Jurassic Park!

On a private island off the coast of Costa Rica, eccentric billionaire John Hammond has created a sort-of biological preserve called Jurassic Park.

Along with a team of scientists led by brilliant young geneticist Henry Wu, he has created the newest wonder of the world: a theme park full of living, cloned dinosaurs—brought back to life after more than 65 million years.

In order to reassure nervous insurance representatives for the project's parent company InGen, Hammond and his law firm have invited several experts in various fields to tour the park and give it their approval.

You... are not one of those experts. So then who are you...?

Choose Your Character:

Each character will be involved in a unique storyline, with starting position and companions based on their backstory.

This will have a significant impact on the events to come, so choose carefully!

Isla Nublar, 120 Miles West of Costa Rica

Who do you choose, and why?

The character with the most votes by the arbitrary time I return wins.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Dec 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Saving for later.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
I want to see Ed Regis die, a lot.

Ed Regis, please!

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Ed Regis looks like a bizarre cross between Trump and Robert Redford and thus I would like to see him face off against dinosaurs and lose in a hilarious way.

Adrianne Copper meanwhile just straight up looks like young Geena Davis.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Regis is the only character I remember being in the actual book, if not the movie Jurassic Park. He's my final answer.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Alejandro Richard. I'd like to see how many problems can be solved with master chef skills.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Ed Regis! I remember he was in the book but I don’t remember what he did or what happened to him. I know he got combined with another character in the movie but I don’t recall if that ended up being Gennaro or Muldoon.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
My head tells me Ed Regis, because I love his Aaron Eckart look, but my heart says Adrianne Copper. She's the most 90s Action Movie Unlikely Survivor Protagonist of this lot.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Let's have Ed Regis go first because we're definitely not going to win on our first time out.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

david_a posted:

Ed Regis! I remember he was in the book but I don’t remember what he did or what happened to him. I know he got combined with another character in the movie but I don’t recall if that ended up being Gennaro or Muldoon.

Spoilers- It was Gennaro. In the book Gennaro was a lot more heroic and ended up surviving his ordeal. Regis, whose personality was pretty much what his character card says, was the jackass who abandoned the kids and got eaten early on by T-Rex. That’s what happened with Gennaro in the movie. I liked the scene but book Gennaro would not have deserved that fate.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Your Character

You are Ed Regis, director of Public Relations for Jurassic Park. A former Disney PR guru, you were poached by John Hammond with an irresistible offer: to run marketing and communications for the next big thing in themed family destination entertainment. And now, because of some pressure from the lawyers, it's showtime.

But while Hammond arrived at the helipad with most of the guests this morning, you were stuck waiting for the stragglers to arrive in Puntarenas. And when the chopper pilot refused to take off due to high winds, you were stuck getting seasick with the second group on a fishing boat headed for the East Dock.

And once you arrived, the guests wanted to take a look at one of the rides despite the weather starting to turn and the ride being under construction, but... well, ever the good PR man, you couldn’t say no.

You are joined by:

Now you're stuck in the half-finished Jungle River Cruise building with a whiny lawyer and a couple of irritating academics. And you can't tell if they're fighting or flirting half the time. Plus you can’t find a flashlight, the batteries in your radio are dead, and the storm isn't showing any signs of letting up soon. You might just have to wait out the storm all night in this room, since you're halfway across the island from the Visitors Center and nobody's likely to be coming to look for you.

Your Location: Jungle Cruise

Game Map. The red hex are buildings, the white dotted line are access roads, the red lines are fences, the white lines are electric car roads, and the blue dotted line is safe areas for rafts.

The Room

You are in a large concrete room filled with construction materials and equipment for the upcoming ride. There are life vests and an inflatable raft. Your Jeep Wrangler is parked outside, but since it's pouring with rain and the top is open, you'd get soaked if you tried to go anywhere.

The Jeep outside

Inventory

The facilities map allows you to know your way around the island.

The keyring allows you to drive any gas Jeep Wranglers or electric golf carts.

The keycard gives you access to secure facilities around the island.

The flask allows a character to push through an injury.

The Radio allows you to contact other staff on the island. Unfortunately your batteries are dead.

The Scenario

After sitting in the dark for about an hour, waiting and listening to the academics snipe at each other, you hear a growling sound in the corner of the room and the hairs on the back of your neck stand up. Is it paranoia, or have you heard that sound out in the park before...?

Bob backs up against the wall, Dina and Burt try to hide behind each other, and you...

What do you do?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Drink the flask immediately to get our courage up.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Must be a stray cat. Take out the keys and jangle them while making "pspsps" noises.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Smile smugly and assure the guests everything will be fine.

This seems right for role playing. Do we have actual options or are we going to be brainstorming the whole time?

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
Launch our back hairs at the sound

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Get in the Wrangler, 'oh no I'll get wet better live in this shed forever'. C'mon, this is nothing worse than what Eisner put us through at Disney.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Okay, so the AI has given us Robert Redford, Pierce Brosnan, Sigourney Weaver, and Rick Moranis on the wildest alt-history Jurassic Park movie never made.

Anyway Use your rugged good looks and PR skills to keep the nerds calm.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Put your keys between your fingers, ready to punch whatever's making that noise!

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Continue sitting in the dark and doing nothing. It seems to be working out so far.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Make the lawyer see what the noise is with your rugged charisma!

OP posted:

brought back to life after more than 365 million years

:science: The mass extinction event that wiped out the dinosaurs happened 65 million years ago, though Jurassic Park had many dinos who had come and gone long before that.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
He’s PR and there’s no reason to think anything major is wrong. Reassure the guests. Maybe make a quip mildly insulting Burt’s manliness since he’s supposed to be the adventurer type.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Let Ellen Ripley Dina Skrumbis take a look, she'll be fine.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Hey OP, I understand if you don't want to post this yet but I'm interested to know more about the behind the scenes. Like what parts of your posts are AI generated and what parts you made yourself.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Pray for Shirtless Jeff Goldblum to save us.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The Situation

"Everything will be fine," you say in your most reassuring voice, almost instinctually. "Just fine."

Maybe it was just a rat? Or, or a possum? Or a stray cat, or... well, maybe it was just one of those small dinosaurs. Y’know, the... the scavengers. The campys, or compos, or... or whatever they were called! And they were harmless. Totally harmless! Yes, yes, it was probably just that.

“I-I’m sure it’s nothing,” you say with an unconvincing chuckle. “It’s... probably just a rat. We used to have a big rat problem here, but it's cleared up recently. I’m sure it’s—”

“Bullshit!” Dina whispers, hoarse.

“It’s one of those... those things!” Bob gasps, eyes wide with fright.

Burt takes step behind you. He grunts, lowering his voice, “We should get to the Wrangler."

“Y-yes, perhaps we should,” you agree, trying to force some cheer into your voice. “After all, what's a little rain when we have some very nice rooms in the Safari Lodge set up for you. What, are we going to live in this shed forever?”

You all stand there, unmoving. Dina shoots you a glare.

"You first, smart guy."

You hesitate, nod, then grip your keys between your knuckles. You turn to Burt, eyeing his flask.

“Hey, Mr. Adventure,” you say, clearing your throat. “How about a little of that liquid courage?”

Burt hands it over and you take a swig. You assess the room: There are two exits. One leading to the jungle, about 30 feet to your right, away from the shadows. One leading to the Jeep, about 100 feet away, on the other side of the shadow.

Click-click! Click-click! Click-click!

Your eyes go wide. poo poo. poo poo. It’s one of them. The fast ones. The dangerous ones And from the darkness emerges...

What do you do?

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Hold out our hand and tell her she's a clever girl.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
Flee to the jungle

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
push the lawyer over in its direction in our cowardly attempt to escape

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Use your charm and impeccable logic to get Burt to distract it, while the rest of us flee to the Wrangler.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

AARD VARKMAN posted:

push the lawyer over in its direction in our cowardly attempt to escape

Come on, this is what the lawyer is for! Raptor gotta eat, baby

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Punch the raptor with the keys while our friends escape.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Get behind the nearest door and close it.

Let's check if it's a smart raptor.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Game Map

The Situation

As the raptor stops in the center of the room, you grasp your keys tighter between your fingers. Then it bolts toward you. gently caress that! you think. You bolt toward the door. Just ahead you can just make out the leaves of the tropical ferns blowing in the storm, just 30, 25, 20 feet away..

Ahead of you, Dina and Burt make it to the door, then burst out into the jungle and disappear in the darkness beyond. Behind you there is a screeching hiss, and you make the mistake of glancing back over your shoulder. The raptor is nearly as far away from you as you are to the door. In a wave of sheer terror, you charge ahead of Bob, shoving him aside as you scramble through the door, your boots hitting mud as you scramble into the brush.

As you stumble through the dark brush, you can hear the high-pitched screams that tell you that Bob didn't make it.

You are running through the jungle, completely lost, Dina and Burt nowhere in sight. You notice ahead of you is a clearing, to your left is a river, and to your right is more jungle.

What do you do?

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Dec 3, 2022

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

I pray to satan to intervene. Or at least show me the way

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
You’re already wet, so go to the river. It’s hard to get lost following a river versus stumbling around at night in a jungle during a storm.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
The river's to our left? :goleft: To the river!

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Run for that river and hope other tasty treats will distract the raptor away from you.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

To the river!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I keep going to the river to pray…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Into the river, rear end in a top hat.