Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Can I request fonts? I use Courier a lot at work, it's definitely my favourite font, but I'm willing to be seduced by other monospaced type fonts...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

mitochondritom posted:

Can I request fonts? I use Courier a lot at work, it's definitely my favourite font, but I'm willing to be seduced by other monospaced type fonts...

imo, JetBrains Mono (free and open source) and MonoLisa (premium) are the most aesthetically pleasing monospaced fonts to stare at for 8 hours a day

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
https://github.com/tonsky/FiraCode

check those ligatures!

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

🤢

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

They're ligatures made for coding and they're great, been using this font since it came out. Wouldn't use it for anything else though.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Woebin posted:

They're ligatures made for coding and they're great, been using this font since it came out. Wouldn't use it for anything else though.

I mostly posted that in jest. Don't like to yuck people's yums. To each their own and all that.

I gave ligatures a fair shake, but I just don't like them. They break the mono spacing by creating bigger gaps between characters, and I dislike that my cursor can be in the middle of them when I'm supposed to believe it's now one character. I also don't find them easier to parse, which is supposedly their intended benefit

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I don’t nuttin’ bout monospace typefaces for programmin’ and whatnot, but boy howdy do I love ligatures in my designs. just a nice lil bit of extra flourish in my “th”s and “fi”s and uhhh “st”s.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Fantastic for writing "the fist" I guess?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

ligatures kick rear end

im intrigued by the monospace thing but im probably too lazy to actually change my editors &c

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Woebin posted:

I have those hacked into Consolas. They don't seem to actually help with anything, but I like looking at them.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Mmmh, that's the good poo poo.

MrBlarney
Nov 8, 2009
The recent discussion on monospaced fonts sent me into a bit of a rabbit hole. I haven't been doing much coding recently, but I've usually had somewhat more condensed (thinner) typefaces like Inconsolata or Iosevka for my editors, because I thought I liked how you could have a narrower editor window / pane. But looking at the recommendations of Fira Code and JetBrains Mono, I'm starting to think I might want to change my mindset? These more standard-width fonts are certainly easier on the eyes, though I still have a fondness towards being able to squeeze more text into less space.

The rabbit hole also led me to programmingfonts.org, which has a vast range of monospaced fonts to preview. Based on those previews, I don't think I'll change my opinions on going any wider, towards the 'squarer' fonts like Courier.

My wandering also led me to Recursive, which is an interesting variable font with multiple dimensions including monospace <--> variable width and rational <--> brushstroke shape. It seems a bit unfortunate that it doesn't seem to be so easy to export a standalone that is between the static endpoints, since there are some nice-looking intermediate mixes.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Font Appreciators, do you have recommendations for a good serif typeface that comes in an ultrabold/black weight? I'm looking for one for a project, and I seem to have a gap in my repertoire. Sure, I can search online for it but there's been some nice stuff posted here, and I'd favor your picks over snagging something off dafont.

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

Does anybody know what font is used for the numerals in the timer in Yoshi's Island, or at least a good approximate?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

It doesn't stand out to me immediately; I would guess it was custom-made for the game, though I could be wrong.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Yeah that’s definitely not a font that exists. But there are some alternatives on Adobe that might get you something similar:

https://fonts.adobe.com/fonts/duckie

https://fonts.adobe.com/fonts/hegante

https://fonts.adobe.com/fonts/funkydori

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

wtf is up with this font where apparently the numeral 8s are upside down :argh:

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I don't know the technical term for that but I have seen it before and I hate it.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

"top heavy" maybe?

its gross for a font. imo fonts should rest on the baseline

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Wow, that's viscerally unpleasant. Just for that, I'm gonna refuse to get my doogen serviced

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i seriously want to punch the font but i would probably get fired

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Jessica Rabbit-rear end eight

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Tree Bucket posted:

Wow, that's viscerally unpleasant. Just for that, I'm gonna refuse to get my doogen serviced

døgn is pronounced kind of like "done" but with a Y-sound before the N which is nasal because of the G. so doyng basically doing but short hard and in the back, no lips

ps ø becomes oe if your keyboard doesnt have the letter

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

As a palate cleanser from the bad type, have some good stuff.

Needed inspiration lately, and they say you should always steal from the best, which is why I turn to old cassettes, both video & audio, when I need a refresher.

This one is Permanent Headline for the condensed typeface, which I quite like. Generally condensed typefaces don't move the needle for me, but sometimes they're necessary, and this one suits nicely I think.

And this one uses Folio for the condensed type, something I have probably seen before but never noted. However the real winner is the SUPERTON branding, which is set in the fabulous typeface Countdown, and I love this one very very much. Finding excuses to use it will be hard, but it's going to be in my collection forever.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

hell yeah

i hated the practicalities of tapes so much, rewinding and turning it over and rewinding instead of fast forwarding because a kid at school told me it saved battery

but i loved the look of them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9DfSCk-6Ko&t=71s

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Pretty nice new font

https://fixel.macpaw.com/

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I like the display, but the text is really not agreeing with the antialiasing on that site.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

this is a pretty fun little game where you move the middle letters to see if you can hit the correct kerning (10 "levels") :
https://type.method.ac

i mostly got 90+/100 :smug: (but tbh its pretty forgiving)

theres also a game where you fix up bezier curves on glyphs:
https://shape.method.ac

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

https://fonts.adobe.com/fonts/fleur

I'm very into these types of serifs lately. It's definitely the modern trend that signifies "classy but hip" since so many typical "high-class" typefaces just look corny these days.

MokBa has a new favorite as of 03:23 on Aug 29, 2023

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Yeah! I get the appeal. I definitely prioritize typefaces with swashes & stylistic alternates these days. I would love a good digitization of Benguiat Caslon:

There's a lot of versatility & personality you can eke out of a display by switching your characters out. There are two digitizations but you have to pick: Cabernet JF has the full character set but lacks some of the features you'd expect out of modern type, while House Industries' Benguiat Caslon is a well-made font but lacks many of the alternates from the original.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

crosspost from the spaceflight thread

Powered Descent posted:

You could make an argument for Eurostile Bold Extended, but that's less of a mid-20th-century aerospace feel, it's got a very definite near-future sci-fi vibe to it.

FAUXTON posted:

This font looks like something a cop would use on a business card

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I mean, look, yeah, a cop would use it on his business card, but it would be Robocop. You know, either one of the fictitious sort of cop who is actually really cool because he's in a movie and not real, or a cop who is a great villain. Judge Dredd would use Eurostile.

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

Monaspace is cool. It's a monospace coding font that fixes the problem where the "i" is too wide and the "m" is too narrow by using something they call "texture healing". I suggest going to the site and toggling it on and off to see the effect, but here's a comparison image.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

That's a clever use for contextual alternates.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Cactus Ghost posted:

The brief spaceflight font derail culminated in this post, which became the new thread title:

FAUXTON posted:

wingdings brought Columbia down

For anyone who isn't quite enough of a space nerd to immediately get it: in 2003, the space shuttle Columbia was lost on re-entry (with seven astronauts) due to a debris impact during launch that punched a hole in the heat shield on the underside of the left wing.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Cactus Ghost posted:

I disagree, a cop would use Bank Gothic. Space dorks use Eurostile. Space chads, on the other hand, use Microgramma.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

root beer posted:

I disagree, a cop would use Bank Gothic. Space dorks use Eurostile. Space chads, on the other hand, use Microgramma.

Correct on all counts.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Eurostile is honestly everywhere lately once you start noticing it. One thing I like about it is that it has condensed and extended versions, and they all manage to go together cohesively if you know what you’re doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
The typography on Oneohtrix Point Never’s “Age Of” is just amazing:

It’s like the 70s came back, but then stylish.