Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Are gnomes some super old bit of WHFB history or something? I don't remember ever seeing them before!

Not that I remember, and if it was it's a pretty deep cut. But it's off the wall and slightly dumb, making it perfect BB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Are gnomes some super old bit of WHFB history or something? I don't remember ever seeing them before!

more or less. they were around in the early stuff but I think most appearances of them since have been in the RPG? for WHFB itself, it might just be things like offhand mentions that Karl's court jester is a gnome past like, 1991

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

They were a race in first edition WHFRP and (I think) have returned in the C7 version.

It's a deep cut, but it checks out.

Hopefully Fimir next.

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

seashells by the sea shorpheus
They came back in WHFRP as a sort of shadowy (literally having a native affinity for Ulgu) semi-hidden people living in the empire. Like urban halflings.

These dudes are much more classically garden gnomes though.

Also… is this a second plastic BB treeman?

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Either way, i love them and they are my friends

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

GhastlyBizness posted:

They came back in WHFRP as a sort of shadowy (literally having a native affinity for Ulgu) semi-hidden people living in the empire. Like urban halflings.

These dudes are much more classically garden gnomes though.

It looks like it, but I'd suspect it's a forgeworld model.

Crackbone fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 2, 2024

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

GhastlyBizness posted:

Looks like. The fact that it has pose variations makes me thing it's probably plastic rather than FW resin.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
The earliest reference to gnomes I can find is in the Warhammer Fantasy 2e Battle Bestiary, pages 16-17 from 1984. There's also a gnome range called "C11 Gnomes" from 1985. They're pretty traditionally depicted and in line with the Blood Bowl team. It's possible they are mentioned as far back as First Edition, but I don't have any of those resources available to me to check.

moths posted:

Hopefully Fimir next.

They would really need to, uh, retcon certain aspects of their society.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
gnomes are from back when citadel was making generic fantasy miniatures, before warhammer fully coalesced into its own separate brand/setting thing.

and nobody remembers the fimir kidnapping thing, so much so that even GW forgot about it when they kept giving the fimir witch queens. it would be easy to leave in the past.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
It's more the transition between generic fantasy and a self-contained world. Gnomes are described as living in the World's Edge Mountains and the same Bestiary has a map of what would very much look like the Warhammer World to us, including Lustria, the Old World and Ulthuan (though it's called the Elf Kingdoms). The Realms of Chaos are also present. So this wasn't just Citadel producing models to be used in DnD, but there's also inclusion in Warhammer proper and what would become the Warhammer World as we know it today.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
For some reason I had convinced myself that one of your main allies in Vermitide 2, Olesya, was a gnome but looking online indicates that I may of made that up.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Alpha Legion kill team, came out greener than I'd like but good enough. Thinking about picking up that Eldar boarding patrol for Corsairs and the banshees. What's the way to build Blades of Khaine, do you need 2 boxes of each one? Can you build Jain Zar as a banshee?

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I've seen a lot of disagreement about how to roll with Blades of Khaine. The answer is probably that it's very matchup-dependent. At times you will want to run mono-banshee; I think at times you might want mono-scorpion???; and your default is a mix of banshee and scorpion with much debate about whether to make your leader dude a banshee or a scorpion and where to go on the scale of 0 - 2 dire avengers (it is commonly agreed dire avengers suck and are taken in low counts if at all just cuz they're your sole ranged choice).

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

So it sounds like get 5 banshees and 5 scorpions to start and then get 5 more of each plus 5 avengers to expand? And is Jain Zar just too big to proxy?

E: oh looks like scorpions are sold in packs of 10 anyway

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 3, 2024

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

StashAugustine posted:

So it sounds like get 5 banshees and 5 scorpions to start and then get 5 more of each plus 5 avengers to expand? And is Jain Zar just too big to proxy?

E: oh looks like scorpions are sold in packs of 10 anyway

Yeah mind you I don't play BoK so I'm relaying what I've seen from others but if you have 5 banshees and the box of scorpions you'll be set for a lot of situations. I don't think there'd be anything wrong with proxying Jain Zar as your banshee exarch if you just stick her on an appropriate-size base. Nobody's going to call "modeling for advantage" on you on a big-rear end melee model.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
jain zar is so large and sticky-outy that she's a pain in the rear end to get into melee, or behind cover, or anywhere on ITD.

it's also annoying to switch her back and forth to a different base size if you play 40K, but that is partially offset by the fact that nobody in their right mind is playing jain zar in 40K

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yeah she'd be modeling for handicap if anything.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
Dang the two war cry sets I'm most interested in to actually try this game aren't on their store. Are they good at restocking? I really like the looks of the Covus Cabbal and the Cypher Lords.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Ominous Jazz posted:

Dang the two war cry sets I'm most interested in to actually try this game aren't on their store. Are they good at restocking? I really like the looks of the Covus Cabbal and the Cypher Lords.

Don't buy most things from their online store. You should be able to find them for 10-15% off from an online game store in your country.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Cease to Hope posted:

jain zar is so large and sticky-outy that she's a pain in the rear end to get into melee, or behind cover, or anywhere on ITD.

You could use the old metal model on a 25mm base no? :ssh:

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Z the IVth posted:

same problems to a lesser degree, plus a tiny contact with the actual base and a top-heavy metal model

either way it's not the end of the world, just a pain

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Ominous Jazz posted:

Set a calendar reminder to hit the 'Notify When Available' button like every two weeks or so. It took a good chunk of a year to get more of The Unmade. Also, LOL at the double-size AoS boxes getting discontinued.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Robert Facepalmer posted:

Set a calendar reminder to hit the 'Notify When Available' button like every two weeks or so. It took a good chunk of a year to get more of The Unmade. Also, LOL at the double-size AoS boxes getting discontinued.

I picked up a copy of The Unmade at a half price books for a good price, i don't really want them I just figure I'd rehome them but I couldn't find anyone who wanted them lol.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
My Necromunda [notify when available] button is worn pretty badly

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Z the IVth posted:

The old metal model is basically an elephant standing on a tennis ball. Its awful and unbalanced.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
does anyone need some emus in the same scale of legiones imperialis

or battletech i guess

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Emu 40K: Australia

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
atlas versus 100 tons of emus

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/03/14/heresy-thursday-eradicate-titans-with-new-super-heavy-tanks-for-legions-imperialis/

Who wants some tiny massive guns? Take your pick between a cool af Shadowsword, awesome Stormblade, or the other one that no one will take.

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

you say that, but unless the Stormblade has is much improved over the warhound grade plasma, having something with Demolisher is probably going to be enough reason to consider Stormswords if the other stats on that gun are not inexplicably poo poo

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
The main reason to take plasma is because it always looks best.

If you want something to wreck buildings then we already have Hellhammers with demolisher on both the turret & hull-mounted weapon. Why bring the new tank that looks like a Shadowsword fighting on an icy planet.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

xtothez posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/03/14/heresy-thursday-eradicate-titans-with-new-super-heavy-tanks-for-legions-imperialis/

Who wants some tiny massive guns? Take your pick between a cool af Shadowsword, awesome Stormblade, or the other one that no one will take.

Is it just me or do the proportions of these look off compared to the regular Shadowswords? Bit too tall...

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Ominous Jazz posted:

It looks like you can get Cypher lords here

https://gamersguildaz.com/products/...WgaAkU3EALw_wcB

And Corvus Cabal here

https://chaos-legion.com/products/c...9IaAu3kEALw_wcB

There may be other places to look as well. Lots of time GW doesn't have a lot of things in stock directly.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Z the IVth posted:

Is it just me or do the proportions of these look off compared to the regular Shadowswords? Bit too tall...

it's the giant mantlet plate, extending above the turret. the 40K shadowsword has a huge gap there, where the main gun barrel goes into the turret.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Mighta made the mistake of trying to get into Underworlds. Got the 2021 starter set for store credit and bought one of the gobbo warbands from Harrowdeep. Maybe this will be a bit more accessible than KT or 40k for me and the kiddo.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

E2M2 posted:

Mighta made the mistake of trying to get into Underworlds. Got the 2021 starter set for store credit and bought one of the gobbo warbands from Harrowdeep. Maybe this will be a bit more accessible than KT or 40k for me and the kiddo.
There's rules for playing without the tactics rivals cards at all (just the fighter cards for stats) in the current White Dwarf, that I've been looking at for playing with the kids (7 & 6), it's probably wildly imbalanced so I've been meaning to try to suss out the 'weaker' teams from what I have. Then maybe trying to get the new re-release box with the four old teams in it. Though iuhave is hunch they might just vanish instantly on sale.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

E2M2 posted:

There's a lot of poo poo to remember but the basics of moving and attacking are pretty chill. I do recommend downloading and using the most recent rulebook, because GW likes to gently caress with the rules constantly. Generally for the better, but starting with an old box can put you on bad footing.

Basically any team you find on the shelf is playable. Older boxes will have generic cards, but you really don't need those for anything unless you're playing the (largely unpopular) Championship/Relic modes, something you wouldn't really do with the kid.

If you want a team to sandbag without making it obvious you're sandbagging, you can still find Blackpowder's Buccaneers. They are a silly and fun team that absolutely suck rear end, especially if you play them in Rivals and/or without the errata. They are my go-to team for demoing or teaching WHU.

hoiyes posted:

There's rules for playing without the tactics rivals cards at all (just the fighter cards for stats) in the current White Dwarf, that I've been looking at for playing with the kids (7 & 6), it's probably wildly imbalanced so I've been meaning to try to suss out the 'weaker' teams from what I have. Then maybe trying to get the new re-release box with the four old teams in it. Though iuhave is hunch they might just vanish instantly on sale.

You can just do this. It's pretty easy to eyeball: small elite teams will wreck face and swarm teams get wrecked. Sepulchral Guard (in the new starter), Looncourt, or Blackpowder's Buccaneers would be fun cannon fodder for the younger kids to play whatever they want.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

hoiyes posted:

What's this about a rerelease box?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

E2M2 posted:

What's this about a rerelease box?

They're rereleasing four older warbands in a new box with new rivals decks for each of them. I think they also tweaked some of the actual character cards to bring them back up to speed. It's going up for pre-order this Saturday if you want it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Ah drat, great time to be broke. And yeah I bet this goes fast.