Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clawmydia
Jan 1, 2023

Heard about this a while ago. New year, new leaderboard seems like a good time to hop in.

Trophies:

Clawmydia fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jan 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clawmydia
Jan 1, 2023

Anyone else using a controller? This was one of the first SNES games I emulated however many years ago, and trying to dash, jump, and shoot at the same time on a keyboard that couldn't handle very many inputs simultaneously was drat near impossible. Having that dash on a shoulder button really helps.

I don't know if this would be considered cheating, but it is interesting: https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/5145/

Wondering if it would stop my jump input from getting eaten every so often.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Clawmydia fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jan 1, 2023

Clawmydia
Jan 1, 2023

I mean, I personally don't mind the slowdown. And this game definitely feels better than when I tried to play megaman 3.

Clawmydia
Jan 1, 2023

Thank you for the probation. Chill Penguin.gif has shown me the error of my ways. I have destroyed my keyboard and am currently composing this post using a pair of DK bongos.

: Find all the Armor Upgrades
: Find all Sub Tanks and Heart Tanks
: Hadouken!

: Finish the game

Excellent game, and the only one of the X series I've played. Last year, I was planning to play them all after marathoning the original series, but I burnt out during Megaman 7.

Clawmydia
Jan 1, 2023

Arch Nemesis posted:

Welcome to game club. Please don't post like this

Thanks. I'll keep my jokes to myself. Any advice is appreciated.

Clawmydia
Jan 1, 2023

Buster only: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnRavhI_zU4

I would try no upgrades, but there's not enough time to get good when I'd rather start DDS.

Clawmydia
Jan 1, 2023

Strength Serph is a beast. It seems like hunt skills increase with strength and are unaffected by phys resist/null.

: Defeat Cerberus

This game is taking me a long time to get through. I like to find everything and overprepare in jrpgs. You can have all(?) 3 keys by this point in the game, but getting the red one was a drag.

Clawmydia fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jan 10, 2023

Clawmydia
Jan 1, 2023

: Defeat Fly Beelzebub

Pretty tense boss, but not too bad. I got anxious halfway through and used one of my somas. The dungeon before him seems like a really good spot for grinding, if you know how to take down the arahabakis. Also, looks like the cerberus trophy didn't get added to my total.

Clawmydia
Jan 1, 2023

trying to jack off posted:

its not really the same fortunately since it's just a run. i did the first two temples then died to a random giant spider when i was exploring the map and fell down a hole. this game is neat but im going insane trying to work out what i can jump on top of and walk up lol

The perspective is messing me up as well. But otherwise, seems like a pretty cool zelda style game, with enough unique mechanics to be distinct, and nice visuals. A bit clunky to control though.

: Awaken the first 3 Elemental Spirits (Water, Fire, Earth)

Clawmydia
Jan 1, 2023

Arrhythmia posted:

How the gently caress do I emulate a saturn game.

I'm using beetle saturn in retroarch, but the screen transitions are weird, and it required a specific bios that had to be properly renamed. I don't recommend it.

Clawmydia
Jan 1, 2023

I think it didn't hook the first time because I used timg. Oops.

: Defeat Cerberus

: Defeat the Four Guardian Beasts

Cool bosses, but they're cake after taking down Fly 'Bub.

: Awaken the Spirit of Wind

The dungeons in this game start to get kind of nuts. They've been a bit of a slog since the third one, but fun enough for me to keep going.

Clawmydia
Jan 1, 2023

Plebian Parasite posted:

In DDS are any of the combo moves good, I've been mostly sticking to regular moves since blowing two turns on one go seems kinda risky.

I think some of them might be good situationally, if there's a move you need that none of the individual party members know yet. I've almost entirely been avoiding them and just grinding out mantras when that happens.

Clawmydia
Jan 1, 2023

It took me all night, but I finished Legend of Oasis.

: Beat the game

This is the first Saturn game I've emulated, and the first I've played through to the end. It has some extremely rough edges, but I feel this game is a gem. Maybe not a diamond or emerald, but like... a pearl at least. I think it would be a hit if it got the remaster treatment, with smoother controls, some small QoL updates, and the same art style, but with something to ease the obfuscation caused by the perspective.

Clawmydia
Jan 1, 2023

ArfJason posted:

this ends in 2 days??? tf?????????? how long is this piece of poo poo

I want to say about 11-12 hours for me, if my save file didn't include game overs. I did look stuff up when I was hopelessly stuck, and most of the time it was some exit right next to me that I couldn't see because of the weird perspective. I feel like one could plow through the game within 6-7 hours with a walkthrough.

Clawmydia
Jan 1, 2023

If anyone wants some tips that should make it easier/quicker to get through the game:
1. You gain a little max hp every time you cumulatively heal your entire health bar. Essentially you could reach max level/rank near the start of the game if you wanted to grind it out. The only thing this seems to affect is your ending rating.
2. I think keys are always in black chests, and equipment is always in large chests, so you should be able to safely ignore other chests if you feel you have enough of the overabundant capacity items. Take this one with a grain of salt though, I don't remember if there are cases where it's wrong. (Edit: Sometimes keys aren't in chests at all.)
3. Getting a spirit to level 4 is very useful, as they will gain a new move that does a specific enchantment on one of your weapons. This will potentially make puzzles involving that enchantment easier. I don't know if you get anything useful for higher levels than that. I think 6 was my highest and I didn't notice anything special about them.
4. During the wind dungeon, there are way more keys than you actually need, so if you don't hit too many side paths, you won't have to backtrack for the final key like I did. This might apply to other dungeons as well. (Edit: It might have actually been post-wind dungeon. This game kind of blurred together for me as I started getting sleep deprived.)

Clawmydia fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jan 16, 2023

Clawmydia
Jan 1, 2023

trying to jack off posted:

i spent my whole afternoon yesterday just doing the wind dungeon and the mystic room. i think people would probably enjoy the game a lot more without the time pressure of a week lmfao

I'd agree with that if anyone wants to finish it. Starting now would require some crunch time, and the way some of the dungeons slog can be pretty draining. I do think it was well worth playing, so I'd love to see an extension and another game alongside it.

Clawmydia
Jan 1, 2023

This looks sick lol

Clawmydia
Jan 1, 2023

: Defeat Metatron

: Defeat Huang Long

I really overprepared for Huang Long. Null-ailment on my entire party, and definitely over-leveled. Oh well.

: Beat the game

Fantastic game. Gamecube/PS2 era JRPGs are some of my favorite games, but this is the first non-persona SMT I've completed. I was trying to get into Nocturne a while ago, but the more solemn atmosphere and difficulty broke me. Definitely want to give it another shot, and I really want to find time to fit in DDS2 if no one is planning on picking it.

Clawmydia
Jan 1, 2023

Thanks to whoever gave me the avatar. I was trying to get my own, but I kept getting an undefined error while uploading image. Tried with multiple file types and browsers, following the specifications. Also, not a rereg, promise.

Edit: I also have platinum now because I thought that would fix it. It didn't.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Clawmydia
Jan 1, 2023

American McGay posted:

This motherfucker Impo!!

Clawmydia
Jan 1, 2023

Evil Eagle posted:

: Defeat Fly Beelzebub

Got his rear end without null death. I didn't get a single critical despite having max critical and critical set on max noise lol. Death Flies was doing about 800 damage to Serph if I didn't have Rakukaja up

It feels like the critical skills only apply to basic attack. I could be wrong about that, but when I was doing basic attacks with those skills, they were critting constantly, and it shows when the crit is thanks to the min/max skill.

Clawmydia
Jan 1, 2023

: Defeat the Demi-Fiend (PLATINUM)

So my estimations were off while running through NG+, leaving Gale and Argilla with less than max agility, and I had no will to grind quick noises after trying fruitlessly for a couple hours. It took a lot of tries, but the red star strategy worked out when I won the dormina coin flip and didn't otherwise beef it. One particularly frustrating attempt was when arahabaki cast dekunda, freeing pixie up to use recarmdra. Overall, I'm kind of pissed and sleep deprived, but it's over, and the game was still excellent, and now I'll have a perfect save file for DDS2.

Clawmydia
Jan 1, 2023

I see...

: Create and post a custom character

I'm sure this would make the game braindead, so he's only there if I get stuck. I might make a balanced custom team if I don't like the default crew.

Clawmydia
Jan 1, 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaEWoHwzzbI

This game is nuts lol

Oof. Very Hard is actually hard using Minuteman. You really have to utilize the environment and kiting on the first level. Trying to play the tutorial bit like normal was guaranteed death for me.

Clawmydia fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jan 23, 2023

Clawmydia
Jan 1, 2023

In Training posted:

What the gently caress was that other guy doing for 100 extra hours.

First time playing the game, exploring every corner, and grinding mantras/noises. I'm pretty sure I found every chest in the game. Some amount of time was spent idling while watching youtube, eating, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clawmydia
Jan 1, 2023

I already put a few hours in this game a while back, and felt like I barely got anywhere. I suppose I can't get the new player trophy, but I understand the game is still meant to be played as such to get the most out of it. I wonder if I still have my old screenshots folder my friends told me to make.