Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

New Japan is back to a single dome WK this year for the first time since 2019. There is a second "Wrestle Kingdom" card later in the month that little is known about and I suspect could be similar to the NJPW X NOAH show in Yokohama in 2022. New Year's Dash is back in it's traditional 1.5 slot and I'm hoping that given the amount of people not booked on the main Dome card it'll be a return to the big surprises and angles it used to be known by for years.

:siren:
The preshow starts 90 minutesbefore the main card. The main card will begin at 3:00 EST/8:00 GMT/17:00 JST:

official preview

WRESTLE KINGDOM 17
January 4th at 3:00 EST/8:00 GMT/17:00 JST for main card
TOKYO DOME

Preshow-90 minutes before gong

3 minute Time Limit exhibition:Ryohei Oiwa vs. Boltin Oleg

A decorated 125 kg amateur wrestler from Kazakhstan makes his exhibition debut at the dome. I'm sure this will be akin to the one between Great-O-Khan and Kitamura(rip) at their debut show and I don't expect to get much of a handle on him at this stage but it still shows that they have expectations for the guy and I'm hyped to see him.

Prediction: TLD

New Japan Rambo for the KOPW 2023 Right to Challenge

The final four will advance to a four way on New Year's Dash this time due to the return of the one night format. Don't expect a workrate classic but it's fun to see some of the old guys who don't get featured anymore get a moment to shine and I imagine there's going to be a couple surprise veteran and outsiders popping up as usual. As a bonus it's tougher to get a read on this year as it's moved away from being the Yano Match deal. Will the 2022 winnder Shingo Takagi show up to attempt to win this year's? Is he going to be on Dynamite instead? Or will he show up disgruntled on the 5th and start a big angle (let's hope!)

Prediction: Yano, Taichi, some dude from NOAH or GLEAT, and Ishii

Antonio Inoki Memorial 6 man Tag: (40 minutes before gong) - Togi Makabe, Satoshi Kojima, and Yuji Nagata vs. Tatsumi Fujinami, Minoru Suzuki, and Tiger Mask

The first of the two legend appearances on the show featuring 5 regular-ish roster members who date back to Inoki's era and an appropriate time for one of Fujinami's occasional appearances. I expect the memorial presentation pre-match to be more memorable than anything going on inside the ring but it'll be kinda interesting to see Suzuki's first match since the dissolution of his unit.

Prediction:uh, i guess team Nagata as TMIV seems like an obvious fall guy?

Main Card

IWGP Jr Heavyweight Tag Championship: Catch 2/2 (c) vs. CHAOS (YOH and Lio Rush) (Super Jr. Tag League Winners)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qV-cEfyf9e8

A junior title match opens the actual main show as we often see at Wrestle Kingdom. The division has been one of the highlights of the company in recent months and everything's been clicking with both teams. I find Catch 2/2's work as a team far more compelling than anything either member was doing solo in New Japan before it started and imo Gideon Grey's entrance work has added more to them than the rest of the unit for whatever reason. Lio Rush is one of the few recentishvioj US indie talents that really stuck out to me and i'm really glad to see him faring so well on proper domestic NJPW shows. Obviously his partner YOH desperately needed a change of pace in his career and the team clicked really well exhibiting good chemistry in a short period of time during the BOSJ Tag. Should be an excellent opener:

Prediction: CHAOS

IWGP Women's Championship:KAIRI (c) vs. Tam Nakano

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySG2g1nuses

Not gonna lie, I follow Stardom less than i used to but both those women are excellent workers (Tam used to be v underrated) and the title got off to a great start in Ariake. There's been women's matches featuring their talent on the preshows of recent Dome cards but this is the first serious singles match for real stakes. Most of the attention in the west has revolved around a certain widely rumored debuting star but don't sleep on the actual action we'll prbably get to witness.

Prediciton: KAIRI

IWGP Tag Champsionship:FTR (c) vs. Bishamon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtRCFloUhTI

One of the two titles that have infrequently seen as they've been held by foreign talent tied to another company. While I find it hard to get too hyped for the heavyweight tag division unlike the match for the other belt I expect this one to deliver in ring . FTR's big tag matches consistently delivered for me in 2022 while I may have a different opinion of Dax's singles matches and tweets. Bishamon's a popular team of two vets and I love how they've been increasingly given more of a tag identity with the new theme and gear.

Prediction: Bishamon

NJPW World TV Championship Tournament Final:Ren Narita vs. Zack Sabre Jr.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJTtNSDgtaQ

The match I am personally most hyped for on the entire card. Narita's looked outstanding since his return and the shibata/inoki heir gimmick has worked wonderfully. A 15 minute match between him and ZSJ esp given the history ZSJ and Shibata have should be absolutely perfect and as a bonus I'm really not sure who's walking out with the belt. Crowning the young returning talent at the biggest stage possible makes sense, but I could see them wanting to give him an obstacle to overcome plus give Zack a strong direction coming out of the disbandment of his former unit.

Prediction: Narita

NEVER Openweight Championship:"The Machinegun" Karl Anderson(c) vs. Tama Tonga

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTae3AGB8LQ

I'm sure most of you know the shoot backstory of this match and how they turned MGKA going back to the fed into an angle. I'll always have a soft spot for the man based on his superlative singles run a decade ago, but well, that was a decade ago and after a promising first match back for "Bright Lights Machine Gun" he wasn't quite able to follow up and obviously now doesn't want to put his fed gig in jeopardy. Can't say my expecations are exactly sky high but hey, the first Tama match was good.

Prediction: Tama Tonga

Keiji Mutoh Final NJPW Match:Keiji Mutoh, Hiroshi Tanahashi, and Shota Umino vs. L.I.J (Tetsuya Naito, SANADA, and BUSHI)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WybBNcPLhN0

Mutoh's is ofc a savvy enough worker to realize he can do two farewell matches everywhere and here he is for his New Japan one under his normal character. If handled right this is a great spot for Umino to have his first big Dome match partnering with two of the biggest legends in company history. As a big fan of both guys i'm also just relieved that Tana and Naito were given something decent on this show. Should be a fun match that serves it's purpose just don't expect a high Meltzer rating. Let's also hope mutoh's post match backstage promo is less notable than his NOAH one under the hood a few days ago....

Prediction: Mutoh/Tana/Umino

IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Championship 4 Way:Taiji Ishimori(c) vs. Hiromu Takahashi vs. El Desperado vs. Master Wato
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOvBKQWQEuY&t=2s

Bad News: Juniors get a four way and not a regular singles match

Good News: All four of those guys abosulutely killed it in that parejas incredibles match in Osaka which ended up as one of my top matches of the year. If they can repeat that it'll probably be my favorite four way match not done under Dragongate rules in history.

Prediction: Hiromu

IWGP US Heavyweight Championship:Will Ospreay(c) vs Kenny Omega

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DSWbHNOp0U

Now if it's a high star rating you want this is the match for you as the floor is i'm sure ****3/4 from Dave. Many people believe these two guys are the greatest wrestlers in the world today and while there hasn't been a ton of direct build there's been plenty of rumors and comments for months. Almost all of Kenny's work in AEW since his return has been in trios matches and I'm very cuirious to see how he looks in a big singles match in his NJPW return.

Prediction: Ospreay

IWGP World Heavyweight Championship:Jay White(c) vs. Kazuchika Okada

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xjWtchil3w

Jay's reign hasn't clicked either for me or much of this forum as his appearances have felt more sporadic then they've actually been and the shtick of reminding everyone that clap clouds suck and aren't what anyone wants is kinda a questionable one. On paper this is probably the coldest I've been on a dome main event since I started watching them live 10 years ago. Still, we can't forget an excellent professional wrestler and Okada is well, Kazuchika loving Okada. I have the two of them will make this work inside the ring and ensure that a dome main event delivers and I'd be shocked if most of us leave unsatisfied.

Prediction: Okada

Thauros fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jan 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

New Year's Dash is back on the schedule for the first time in a couple years with the return to a single Dome card. For many years this was one of the most exciting shows of the year as there was always at least one huge shocking angle or return. Sadly the last few iterations basically saw it as just a mystery vortex Road to card and mostly skippable. I'm hoping this marks a return to the 2013-2018 style ones especially with SZKG's disbandament and some of the talent we know that's not booked at the Dome

NEW YEAR'S DASH
January 5th at 4:30 EST/9:30 G/b]T/18:30 JST
Ota Ward Gym

KOPW 2023 4 Way: X vs. X vs. X vs. X
rest of card unknown until show itself unfolds

Thauros fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jan 3, 2023

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Hopefully oleg destroys Oiwa and then Fujita runs in the ring and he destroys fujita too and picks them both up and carries them away for them to start excursion

Because if njpw are serious about not dawdling on young lions anymore as kidani suggested then there is literally nothing for Oiwa and Fujita to learn as YLs. Get them on excursion and have them back by power struggle

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Bamboozled that Shingo is still not announced for this.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Happening in the morning on a workday for me. If I was in Finland I’d be watching this as we know that Christmas holidays should be two weeks. Fuckin Germans don’t know how to do holidays :rolleyes:

Thinking I might be present at the Dome for next year’s WK though. It’s time (again)

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

if a mod could add EST after 3:00 AM int the title I'd appreciate it. I had to redo the postting attempt and forgot to add that the second time

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
Watching this with IRL friends this year. 8AM is a bit of an early start but worth doing

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

The problem with Jay White as too guy is simple. He lives in America now. Fair play to him but it does kind of mean he's an uninteresting champion.

It's funny, 2021 Shingo as champ was one of the only positive things about New Japan, 2022 & everyone is generally happier about Nooj but down on the champ this time.

Guess that means put the title back on Takagi

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

I'm kind of surprised to see Suzuki on the card at all, I assumed he'd be spending the beginning fo the year in All Japan after seemingly striking up a partnership with young Hokuto Omori.

Can't be bothered looking for the toxx thread but i'm so sure Kenny is losing that if he takes the belt tomorrow I'll watch a full episode of Dynamite in penance

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
With Okada almost certainly winning (it's the Inoki tribute show. Not having a heel win the main for that one), I'd like to see some fresh faces in the title picture going forward seeing as Kazu has faced the regulars a million times. So I'm willing into existence: a Tom Lawlor title shot for 2023. His style works well for NJPW, he's connected with the fans and he's clearly enjoying himself. And he'll never let Bryan hear the end of it

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

SG Bamboo posted:

I'm kind of surprised to see Suzuki on the card at all, I assumed he'd be spending the beginning fo the year in All Japan after seemingly striking up a partnership with young Hokuto Omori.

Can't be bothered looking for the toxx thread but i'm so sure Kenny is losing that if he takes the belt tomorrow I'll watch a full episode of Dynamite in penance

Steady on

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Looking forward to the show! I'm hoping to catch up enough at work tomorrow that I can take Wednesday off - I don't think my old rear end can handle staying up to watch live but I can put it on as soon as the replay is up.

Narita/ZSJ is my sleeper MotN pick too.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

king of sports

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

With Okada almost certainly winning (it's the Inoki tribute show. Not having a heel win the main for that one), I'd like to see some fresh faces in the title picture going forward seeing as Kazu has faced the regulars a million times

FIVE

STAR

TAICHI

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Anyway I extended my Xmas holiday through to tomorrow so I'm fully hype for this :dance:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Rarity posted:

Anyway I extended my Xmas holiday through to tomorrow so I'm fully hype for this :dance:

Tomorrow is the 3rd though

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I'm on Xmas hols time is meaningless

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

forkboy84 posted:

Guess that means put the title back on Takagi

This could be used to justify anything

If AEW put their belt on Shingo this week with no build my reaction would be "that was the correct decision"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Hell yes it's Wrestle Kingdom time, my favorite part of this time of the year is the bit where I get to watch Wrestle Kingdom! :woop:

SG Bamboo posted:

Alright folks, we've conferred and I think we can agree that the last thing Brer Rabbit wants is to be thrown into that briar patch!

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

With Okada almost certainly winning (it's the Inoki tribute show. Not having a heel win the main for that one), I'd like to see some fresh faces in the title picture going forward seeing as Kazu has faced the regulars a million times. So I'm willing into existence: a Tom Lawlor title shot for 2023. His style works well for NJPW, he's connected with the fans and he's clearly enjoying himself. And he'll never let Bryan hear the end of it

True Inoki tributes should have the heel win.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0FV4bXO90U

More Riots

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Lid posted:

Bamboozled that Shingo is still not announced for this.

Shingo has specifically announced he's NOT on this

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Narita/ZSJ is my sleeper MotN pick too.

Sleeper?

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Low-level match that will exceed expectations. Though I suppose if I have high expectations the term might not be entirely appropriate.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Yeah, I think a lot of people have it at at worst the #2 match of the night after Kenny Ospreay, & I'm probably more excited for mini-Shibata vs ZSJ myself

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
yes sorry i know what a sleeper is lol, just can't imagine labeling ZSJ/Ren as such

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

The only possible sleeper matches are Ka vs Tama and the Mutoh match, because I expect every other one to be a blast

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

The Mutoh match is gonna rule because Naito and Shota are gonna go at it again

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Oh, did anyone with Voices of Wrestling Patreon access see what was being hinted at here?

https://twitter.com/voiceswrestling/status/1610045595648933893?t=s1qeqrLNJ2we-z3zXWuOng&s=19

Potential departures and a reason for the Suzukigun split seem interesting

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

>Major comany
>All Japan

:thunk:

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Guess the Suzuki-gun split was something upper management wanted due to most of the members working under handshake deals and not under contract.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I have had a hard time following New Japan this year. I'm going to be watching Wrestle Kingdom and I'm looking forward to it. I will say I'm really unenthusiastic about another Okada vs Jay White match, but I'm sure it will be good.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

if lanza's correct desperado not being under contract is very odd. he's a dojo trained trueborn new japan guy. lanza said years ago when szkg returned from noah that they were all working handshake deals except for kanemaru but i assumed he was an exception or one that was rectifoed over the past 5 years

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

forkboy84 posted:

Oh, did anyone with Voices of Wrestling Patreon access see what was being hinted at here?

https://twitter.com/voiceswrestling/status/1610045595648933893?t=s1qeqrLNJ2we-z3zXWuOng&s=19

Potential departures and a reason for the Suzukigun split seem interesting

Sho and yoh got big dragon gate offers and Despy potentially gone. Bushi to ajpw likely. Suzukigjn was a bushiroad decision as they want people to be under contract and the majority of them are freelance.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

That makes no sense, OK, Suzuki as a freelancer. But why would Taichi & Despy not be signed? That's dumb & weird tbh.

SHO & YOH in Dragongate makes some sense, they've stalled hard in New Japan, they are both good looking dudes & not too big to totally tower over the DG roster. Though they are a bit old by DG standards at 33 & 34 but I suppose with the Toryumon guys being steadily phased out I get it.

For real though, Despy not being under contract? loving hell. Oh well, he should sign to FREEDOMS & just do deathmatches forever now, he can join UNCHAIN & get to tag with Kasai now.

Honestly bewildered by this.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jan 3, 2023

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
I take Lanzas reporting with a huge grain of salt tbh. Who in the company told him this information basically? He quite often contradicts his stories from week to week.

Despe got the biggest push of his career over the pandemic. I think this is educated speculation based on a few things that may end up being kayfabed.

I am pretty sure his sources are people like Chase Owens. Now a couple of months ago some person posted in r/njpw that chase was involved with his or her friend going missing. It was weird. Anyways they posted chat logs to prove this but it just proved that his friend and Chase talked.

I bring this up because in those chat logs almost every story Chase told was obviously false.

It's why I dislike this sort of stuff. These guys are professional liars.

For the record nooj could do with some roster turnover but wouldn't the way they rebuild the roster be by raiding other promotions???

Burn Down Canberra fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jan 3, 2023

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Taichi is definitely under contract and El Desperado’s Twitter bio is literally “Pro Wrestler Signed to NJPW. All Tweets are my own opinion and not NJPW”

I’ve heard the SZKG break up was a combination of him being old and NJPW not having any rights to the name or merch

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Suzuki-Gun breakup was because New Japan was so scared of how powerful Taichi-Gun would be if they didn't stop it before it could form naturally :colbert:

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

The Suzuki-Gun breakup was because New Japan was so scared of how powerful Taichi-Gun would be if they didn't stop it before it could form naturally :colbert:

Now he’s gonna get recruited by Shingo-gun and get more powerful than their wildest imagination

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Now he’s gonna get recruited by Shingo-gun and get more powerful than their wildest imagination

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AUaXI4jU88&t=8s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I have a real former Suzuki-gun member scoop for you

Do not click if you don’t want something big spoiled for WK

Zack is blond now