Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I cannot believe there isn't a Dead Space thread. Or at least, I didn't see one after searching back through 10 pages of threads.

I love Dead Space. I've loved it since the first previews for the first game, where it looked like 'Alien' meets 'Event Horizon' meets 'The Thing'. As a brand new IP back in 2008 it was a masterclass in taking several disparate ideas and melding them into something original and distinct and memorable.

So let's talk about it.

In a nutshell, the Dead Space franchise mostly follows the actions of space engineer Isaac Clarke as he fights an undead scourge known as Necromorphs, crazy space monsters that repurpose and mutate dead bodies into horrific forms in an effort to reproduce by killing more people and repurposing their bodies. There's big government/religious conspiracies, questionable sanity, and a whole lot of limb chopping.

Dead Space is a multimedia franchise that has spanned 7 games, 2 novels, 2 animated movies, 4 comic series, and 1 flash website, and I'm going to roll through all of it and how it all fits together, starting with the main three games. I'm going to go into some spoiler territory, but it's a 15-year-old franchise so I think I'm okay.

MAIN GAMES:

Dead Space (2008)
Set in the year 2508, in a world where a thoroughly polluted and overpopulated Earth has started exploring, colonizing, and mining extrasolar planets, it follows Isaac Clarke as he and a team of rescuers respond to a distress call from a huge mining/science vessel, the USG Ishimura, in orbit around the planet Aegis 7, a mining colony that the Ishimura was going to harvest resources from. After a rough landing, Clarke and his crew find the Ishimura seemingly deserted, until monsters start popping out of the walls, kill some of the rescue crew, and scatter the others. From that point on it's a fight for survival where Isaac has to commandeer engineering and mining tools to dismember Necromorph enemies to put them down for good, all as Isaac searches for his girlfriend Nicole, who was stationed aboard the Ishimura and sent him a message prior to the ship's distress call.

Isaac discovers that the outbreak of monsters started on the colony on Aegis 7, once the miners unearthed a seemingly extraterrestrial artifact known as the Marker, which causes people to become violently insane and ultimately reanimates dead flesh into Necromorphs. The Marker is venerated by a pseudo-religious cult known as Unitologists, who have foretold the discovery of the Marker and its holy gifts thanks to prophecies from their long-dead martyr, Michael Altman.

Isaac makes his way through the various parts of the Ishimura, repairing parts of the ship and trying to find ways to stem the tide of Necromorphs monsters, all the while receiving messages from Nicole guiding him onwards, before ultimately finding the Marker. At Nicole's urging, Isaac relocates the Marker back to the colony on Aegis 7, awakening a towering Necromorph known as the Hive Mind. Isaac defeats the Hive Mind, but learns that Nicole committed suicide long before Isaac ever arrived on the Ishimura; her communications have all been hallucinations caused by the Marker. Isaac brings a huge chunk of the planet down on the colony and barely escapes with his life, only to have a psychotic episode and black out.

Dead Space 2 (2011)
Set 3 years after the events of the first game, Isaac awakens to find himself trapped onboard The Sprawl, a massive space station orbiting the strip-mined remains of Saturn's moon of Titan. Isaac barely has time to process his new surroundings before it becomes very clear that there is a Necromorph outbreak on the Sprawl, once again dropping Isaac into a desperate fight for his life as he tries to find a way off the station and figure out where all the new Necromorphs came from.

Isaac learns that the Marker imprinted itself on him when he interacted with it on the Ishimura, and Earth's government deduced this and used the imprinting in Isaac's mind to fabricate a new Marker on the Sprawl, with predictably horrible results. Isaac battles his own tenuous sanity as he fights his way through new and dangerous Necromorph forms, learning more about the Church of Unitology and their relationship with the Marker, and even coming across his worst nightmare: the Ishimura itself, docked at the Sprawl. Isaac ends up teaming up with fellow survivor Ellie Langford to finally defeat Isaac's inner demons, destroy Titan Station, and escape.

The game was much more action-focused than the survival horror of the first game, akin to 'Aliens' compared to 'Alien'. The game also had a 4v4 asymmetrical multiplayer mode where a team of Sprawl security officers try to hold back the Necromorph horde while completing objectives, as Necromorph players attempted to stop them.

Dead Space 3 (2013)
Three years have passed since the events of Dead Space 2, and Isaac has been living in hiding from the government. Militant Unitologists have been discovering Marker sites across known space and have been activating them, spreading the Necromorph plague. Isaac once again teams up with Ellie Langford, as well as fellow Necromorph survivor John Carver, who journey to the snowy planet Tau Volantis to uncover more mysteries about the Markers and their origins. They are pursued by radicalized Unitologists who want to bring about "Convergence", the ultimate Necromorph apocalypse. Isaac and John succeed in preventing Convergence, but seemingly at the cost of their own lives.

Dead Space 3 introduced co-op play (for better or for worse), as well as weapon crafting and one of the earlier examples of microtransactions in a mainstream AAA title, and was even more action-focused than the previous game. The reception was mixed at best, and it essentially killed the franchise for the better part of a decade.

OTHER GAMES:

Dead Space: Extraction (2009)
Released exclusively on the Nintendo Wii, this was a light-gun rail-shooter was a prequel to the original Dead Space that followed a ragtag group of colonists on Aegis 7 as the Necromorph outbreak started. It followed their battle for survival as they tried to escape the colony and make their way to the newly arrived Ishimura, only to learn that this was no escape at all as they witness the outbreak starting on the Ishimura as well. The game bridges the events of the Dead Space prequel comics and the Dead Space: Downfall movie, and references them both.

Dead Space (mobile) (2011)
Released as a tie-in to Dead Space 2, this game largely faithfully recreated the 3rd person survival horror Dead Space experience in touchscreen mobile format. It follows the story of "Vandal", a Unitologist believer onboard the Sprawl who unwittingly unleashes the Necromorphs onboard the station. Dead Space 2 directly references the mobile game; you can find an audio log from "Vandal" late in the game, which parallels an audio log recorded in the mobile game. For anyone who didn't play the mobile game, here's the APK file which you should be able to load onto Android devices. In theory you should be able to play it on PC using BlueStacks or some APK player, but I haven't been successful yet.

Dead Space: Ignition (2011)
Another tie-in to Dead Space 2, this was a puzzle game where the player solves "hacking" puzzles to progress a branching storyline that follows technician Franco Delille as he tries to survive the initial Necromorph outbreak of the Sprawl, and leads directly into the opening of Dead Space 2. Completing the game and having a save file would unlock special items when playing Dead Space 2.

DLC:

Dead Space 2: Severed
This DLC follows the survivors from Dead Space: Extraction, who have the unfortunate luck of being onboard the Sprawl when everything goes south. It features the return of a notable Necromorph monster from the first game, which was not present in Dead Space 2.

Dead Space 3: Awakened
Following from the end of Dead Space 3, it is revealed that Isaac and Carver are not dead, and are stranded on Tau Volantis. They find a Unitologist ship and use it to leave the planet, only to learn that the ship is swarming with Unitology cultists who have started to model themselves after the Necromorphs in horrific ways. After battling for control of the ship, Isaac and Carver return to earth... only to find it under assault by the Necromorph menace in one of the craziest cliffhangers in videogame history.

MOVIES:

Dead Space: Downfall
This animated movie follows the Necromorph outbreak onboard the Ishimura, how everything fell apart, and leads up to the beginning of the original Dead Space.

Dead Space: Aftermath
This animated movie follows the clean up and recovery operation after the events of Dead Space, setting the stage for Isaac Clarke's rescue and imprisonment and leading into Dead Space 2.

COMICS:

Dead Space (prequel)
Set on Aegis 7 prior to the events of the original game, the comic series tells the story of the discovery of the Marker and the downfall of the colony.

There's an animated motion comic version with voice acting and sound effects available on youtube and it's pretty excellent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HN5Kwv0Fb6k

Dead Space: Extraction (comic)
Retells part of the Dead Space Extraction video game, leading into Nicole's message that she sends to Isaac in the original Dead Space.

Dead Space: Salvage
Follows a group of illegal space miners operating in the Aegis system, where they unwittingly come across the USG Ishimura having been ejected from Aegis 7's orbit following the events of the first game. They board the ship, reawaken the Necromorphs, have a very bad time, and a lone survivor manages to escape and tells the government where they can find the Ishimura. Explains how the Ishimura was rediscovered and docked at Titan Station in Dead Space 2.

Dead Space: Liberation
Tells John Carver's backstory with a Necromorph infestation on the planet Uxor, which killed his wife and son. Explains how Carver got mixed up with Ellie Langford, leading into the events of Dead Space 3.

NOVELS:

Dead Space: Martyr
Set centuries before the games, this novel tells the story of Unitologist prophet Michael Altman and his discovery of the first Marker, hidden on Earth. It is revealed that he is not a prophet, nor does he want to start a religion, and instead learns what the Markers do and wants to stop them. Instead, the fledgling Unitologist movement intentionally martyrs him and blames it on the government, spinning a tale of Altman's prophecies and paving the way for the Unitology movement to grow. The book is surprisingly good and I've read it a few times.

Dead Space: Catalyst
Okay I'm going to level with you guys - I own this book, and I've tried to get into it twice, but the beginning is real slow and the characters kind of suck (at least initially, maybe it gets better) so I end up having my interest trail off and I drop the book. Maybe it gets really great (it's written by the same guy who wrote Martyr) and I keep bailing before it gets good, I dunno. I'm not entirely sure what it's about other than some kid being sensitive to Markers I think? I keep meaning to start this one again, maybe the third time's the charm.

THE FLASH WEBSITE:

No Known Survivors
In the weeks leading up to the release of the original Dead Space, https://www.noknownsurvivors.com (long since defunct, sorry) released weekly content which told two tragic stories: a survivor onboard the Ishimura hiding from Necromorphs, and a trio of astronauts onboard a listening post in the Aegis system prior to the events of the original game. One part ARG (users were tasked with solving cryptographic puzzles), one part point-and-click adventure, the website let users compete for fun prizes like copies of Dead Space, an art book, and other goodies. The site is long gone (not even the Wayback Machine has a copy as far as I'm aware), but this wiki article covers a lot of its content.

MERCHANDISE:
Like any multimedia franchise, there's merchandise! NECA Toys released several action figures, including Isaac's suits from Dead Space 1 and 2 (complete with light-up functions) and a Slasher Necromorph, another company whose name eludes me released a figure based on Isaac's suit from Dead Space 3, Epic Weapons released a completely amazing metal 1:1 replica of the Dead Space 1 plasma cutter (I have one, it owns), and you can find other stuff like Marker pendants and figurines, T-shirts, all the usual stuff.

Which leads us to....

THE REMAKE:

Dead Space (2023)

That's right, Dead Space is BACK, with an enhanced remake hitting all major current-gen platforms this friday, January 27th. With enhanced visuals and gameplay, the remake looks goddamn awesome and I cannot wait. They even got Isaac Clarke's voice actor from Dead Space 2 and 3 to come back and reprise the role, which is awesome.

Here's a cool IGN video that goes into some of the new features of the remake; according to them, it's an 85/15 split of OG Dead Space content and new stuff, and the new stuff all look like positive changes and enhancements to the gameplay experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQ5ELmzkOdo

So that's Dead Space! I love this series and I'm beyond stoked that it's getting a revival in the form of a remake that actually looks like care and effort was put into it to make it a worthwhile next-gen experience and upgrade over the original. I'm hoping that this is EA testing the water to see if there's interest in more Dead Space content, be it a remake of Dead Space 2 and 3, and possibly a Dead Space 4 to pick up from the Dead Space 3 DLC's ridiculous cliffhanger.

Oh yeah and Isaac Clarke was just added to Fortnite, so there's that I guess.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jan 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Dead Space 1 & 2 are extremely good, everything else in the franchise is forgettable and can be missed. Very excited for the remake and to be able to experience Dead Space 1 all over again with next-gen graphics.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I too love Dead Space 1 & 2. They're my Resident Evils, since I never actually got into that franchise. The only thing, for better or worse, is that they very quickly stop being scary. That's because Dead Space features possibly the best sci-fi arsenal in gaming, letting you upgrade and just chew through Necros at an unholy rate. A lot of games have problems making energy weapons as satisfying as their ballistic counterparts, but DS really doesn't have that problem, every gun is so satisfying.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
please tell me the only identifiable word isaac still says in the remake is RAHH gently caress! FUUUUUUUCK! when you panic and mash the stomp button too much

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
I hope this means we're also getting a Dead Space 2 remake after this one. That level when you go back to the Ishimura was perfect.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Eau de MacGowan posted:

please tell me the only identifiable word isaac still says in the remake is RAHH gently caress! FUUUUUUUCK! when you panic and mash the stomp button too much

You’d better believe the first opportunity I had, I mashed the poo poo out of the stomp button in Callisto Protocol. Nothing. :sigh:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Xenomrph posted:

You’d better believe the first opportunity I had, I mashed the poo poo out of the stomp button in Callisto Protocol. Nothing. :sigh:

Callisto Protocol really was some "we tried to make a Dead Space without understanding what made Dead Space so amazing" bullshit, which is astonishing considering the original game's lead designer was on the project. What a loving letdown.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Callisto Protocol really was some "we tried to make a Dead Space without understanding what made Dead Space so amazing" bullshit, which is astonishing considering the original game's lead designer was on the project. What a loving letdown.

I just started playing it last night and I’m at least somewhat entertained so far. It’s no Dead Space but as a Dead Space knockoff it’s alright. The generic monsters are boring compared to Necromorphs, and the dodge-combat is simplistic to the point of being almost insultingly easy (or at least it is so far, but I’m only on chapter 3), but the world looks and sounds real good and I’m invested enough that I want to see where the plot goes, so there’s that.

Releasing it so close to the Dead Space remake was a pretty boneheaded move, but I’m guessing that releasing it after the remake came out might have been even worse.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
After played Callisto Protocol, my wife and I marathoned the two Dead Space movies to prepare us for the remake.

The first movie was pretty alright! As far as a "Here's how badly everything went to poo poo" it was a great watch. The second movie not so much - it felt like they tried to outsource their material to four different animation studios to try to get the cheapest bidder, and then didn't know how to tie it all together so they used the cheapest CG possible to animate the intermediary parts.

Still looking forward to the remake, here's hoping they don't gently caress it up.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
I played Callisto Protocol for about an hour before requesting a refund from Steam. Definitely a huge letdown. I absolutely hated the melee combat/dodging mechanics.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Hey I heard you need to cut off the limbs to kill them. Confirm/deny?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Arrrthritis posted:

After played Callisto Protocol, my wife and I marathoned the two Dead Space movies to prepare us for the remake.

The first movie was pretty alright! As far as a "Here's how badly everything went to poo poo" it was a great watch. The second movie not so much - it felt like they tried to outsource their material to four different animation studios to try to get the cheapest bidder, and then didn't know how to tie it all together so they used the cheapest CG possible to animate the intermediary parts.

Still looking forward to the remake, here's hoping they don't gently caress it up.

Check out the animated prequel comic I linked in the OP, it’s pretty great and there’s a very mild bit of crossover with Downfall (a couple colonists show up in both). There’s more overlap with the Extraction game, which covers both the colony and the Ishimura.

Fister Roboto posted:

Hey I heard you need to cut off the limbs to kill them. Confirm/deny?

Deny, headshots all the way.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I though the the scariest part of the first game was definitely chapter 10 (though many might say chapter 9 when you go on the other ship). I still remember starting chapter 10 and only hearing the twinkle twinkle little star in the background. and then of course what happens later with that abomination

for the second game, everything on the ishimura freaked me the gently caress out, I think it was because of all the blacklight. But I though the first half of the game was significantly better than the second half.

Never played the third game because I heard it was pretty bad

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I hope the remake ends up being good. I was super into the series with 1+2, read the bad comics and watched the awful anime (the books were too far for me though), enjoyed the Wii game. Then 3 came out and killed it all for me immediately. I never even got down to the planet before giving up on it.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Shiroc posted:

I hope the remake ends up being good. I was super into the series with 1+2, read the bad comics and watched the awful anime (the books were too far for me though), enjoyed the Wii game. Then 3 came out and killed it all for me immediately. I never even got down to the planet before giving up on it.

The beginning when you're still in space is the "good" part of the game, probably right to give up if you weren't liking it.

TCP was kind of a mess, really hoping the DS1 remake is handled well. Would have been fine with a 1-to-1 remake with new graphics but I'm interested to see all the stuff they added like side quests and final weapon upgrades, all the prerelease footage looks promising.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

I missed Dead Space on the first round - was kinda checked out of gaming in that era.

Now I'm amped for this release, and debating whether or not I want to try to rush a playthrough of the original in before or after the remake release.

Leaning after because I'm poo poo at games and know I'll drop it the minute the other releases.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

actionjackson posted:

I though the the scariest part of the first game was definitely chapter 10 (though many might say chapter 9 when you go on the other ship). I still remember starting chapter 10 and only hearing the twinkle twinkle little star in the background. and then of course what happens later with that abomination

for the second game, everything on the ishimura freaked me the gently caress out, I think it was because of all the blacklight. But I though the first half of the game was significantly better than the second half.

Dead Space 1 is one of my fav. games, and i only played DS2 like half-way through because i was kinda disappointed in it.

I played through Dead Space 3 twice*. Not because it's a good Dead Space game, but because it's a fun co-op rootin' tootin' hootenanny of a necromorph shootapalooza, with matching soundtrack for all your necromorph murderin' needs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8mH-PQ54Bs

* never solo though, no. buddy co-op all the way both times. it's like RE6 - don't judge it on being a "franchise game", but on a good coop time with a friend

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat
I played 1 & 2 last year-ish, finally after all this time and really really enjoyed them. I took a break before doing 3 but haven't got around to it. I've had some people tell me that after they replayed it 3 is actually not as bad as people say and they initially thought, but still not up to the standard of what it should have been. I'm still on the fence about playing it through, would Goons here recommend it?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Anyone happen to know if they fixed that thing from the original where the soundtrack would announce Necromorphs far in advance of me seeing them and totally ruining the suspense? Other then that I'm excited for some mighty boots and wildly unsafe high power tools this friday!

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I'm interested to see if the remake reworks the plot a bit to better match possible remakes of DS2 and 3. The original game's whole "The Marker isn't a real Marker but actually a government made Marker based off the original Marker" didn't make a lot of sense on its own and definitely didn't make sense when trying to align it with the later games. But I also really liked the Moons and the idea that these strange alien artifacts are actually just bait laid out by the galaxy's apex predator.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

thin blue whine posted:

I played 1 & 2 last year-ish, finally after all this time and really really enjoyed them. I took a break before doing 3 but haven't got around to it. I've had some people tell me that after they replayed it 3 is actually not as bad as people say and they initially thought, but still not up to the standard of what it should have been. I'm still on the fence about playing it through, would Goons here recommend it?

If you REALLY liked the first two it's worth playing to see where the series effectively ended, just know that you'll have to deal with a lot of janky and annoying bullshit during the course of playing it. The basic mechanics are still mostly as good and I actually liked the weapon crafting system even if it wasn't executed as well as they initially planned. Adding microtransactions was a lovely move at the time but they're easy to ignore, the game is still balanced well enough that you can get through the hardest difficulty without ever feeling like you need to spend real money on resources (I think the servers for the microtransaction stuff are dead anyway, you'll still get ration seals but can't use them for anything).

Try to rope someone else into playing it co-op if possible. Single player is still fine but there are a lot of times where the second player character will appear beside you out of nowhere in cutscenes and it's kind of jarring.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
My first experience with Dead Space was my best friend playing on PC at night. He would turn off the lights with the surround sound on high. He played almost exclusively with the ripper so it was quite the experience to witness.

Hoping this release turns out well for them and they release more Dead Space games because I've always had a soft spot for the lore and mythos of the series.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

actionjackson posted:

I need to replay it to see how it’s aged, but I played through it twice when it was new. It isn’t outright bad, but it’s a huge downgrade over the first two because it’s very action focused and co-op inherently ruins the “scary” factor.

That said, if you take it on it’s own terms the co-op gunplay isn’t bad, it does some cool stuff with the coop by having player 2 hallucinate whereas player 1 does not making for some really entertaining first time playthroughs, being able to radically customize weapons is fun, the monster design is solid, and the DLC is loving bonkers and legit scary and nearly redeems the game by itself.

Like, it’s not a bad game, it’s just a bad Dead Space game.

Caidin posted:

Anyone happen to know if they fixed that thing from the original where the soundtrack would announce Necromorphs far in advance of me seeing them and totally ruining the suspense? Other then that I'm excited for some mighty boots and wildly unsafe high power tools this friday!

Nope, the soundtrack ruins things a bit. I played my first playthrough of the original game with the soundtrack turned off and it was *wild*.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jan 26, 2023

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Can't wait. I only played Dead Space 1 back in the day but really enjoyed it.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Xenomrph posted:

Like, it’s not a bad game, it’s just a bad Dead Space game.

I would agree with this, 100%.

They tried to streamline the combat system which is almost antithetical to the horror of Dead Space. It added to the scary atmosphere when you're having to deal with fast and agile enemies and you're controlling a tank.

They got rid of individual ammo types in favor of a universal ammunition. This also made it less suspenseful because previously if you have a limited ammunition type heading into an area where you think there might be issues (read: decontamination area), you worry if you have enough to make it through.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

1stGear posted:

I'm interested to see if the remake reworks the plot a bit to better match possible remakes of DS2 and 3. The original game's whole "The Marker isn't a real Marker but actually a government made Marker based off the original Marker" didn't make a lot of sense on its own and definitely didn't make sense when trying to align it with the later games. But I also really liked the Moons and the idea that these strange alien artifacts are actually just bait laid out by the galaxy's apex predator.

I felt like the explanation of "what is The Marker and what does it do" changed in every single piece of Dead Space content

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
I am very excited for this.
Dead Space 1 is so good, and although some people seem to disagree, I feel it can stand a remake -- the console versions are locked to 30FPS 720P and feel very dated now, and although you can make the PC version tolerable, it needs quite a bit of tweaking nowadays.

I think Dead Space 2 might be the best of the original trilogy in terms of gameplay, but fundamentally I don't think it had such a coherent sense of atmosphere as 1. Although, I have to rank the section where you return to the Ishimura as being up there among the very best gaming moments I have ever had. The bit where Ellie says "They're pouring into the ship, swarming into the medical deck!" and Isaac is all "Well, good job I don't need to go there." *CLUNK* "Obstruction Detected. Now arriving: Medical Deck." always makes me laugh.

As for 3, I agree with some of the other folks in this thread that it was not a bad game; I've played through it twice now and it's a solidly fun sci-fi shoot-em-up, but it is a bad Dead Space game. The story is poo poo, it has almost zero tension, and it fundamentally does not feel like it is a sequel to the first two. That being said, I cannot avoid having a certain degree of fondness for a game which lets me make a revolver with an underslung revolver, or a weapon which rapidly fires superheated rivets which I can detonate in a burst of electricity.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I do wonder if the remake sells and they continue on with the series whether they'll diverge entirely by the second game or what.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

Grimey Drawer

The_White_Crane posted:

The bit where Ellie says "They're pouring into the ship, swarming into the medical deck!" and Isaac is all "Well, good job I don't need to go there." *CLUNK* "Obstruction Detected. Now arriving: Medical Deck." always makes me laugh.

I laughed when he fixed the underground mining rig by swapping batteries and Ellie thought she fixed it and Isaac was just too tired to correct her

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Hilario Baldness posted:

I would agree with this, 100%.

They tried to streamline the combat system which is almost antithetical to the horror of Dead Space. It added to the scary atmosphere when you're having to deal with fast and agile enemies and you're controlling a tank.

They got rid of individual ammo types in favor of a universal ammunition. This also made it less suspenseful because previously if you have a limited ammunition type heading into an area where you think there might be issues (read: decontamination area), you worry if you have enough to make it through.

A pro strategy in the original game was to restrain yourself to 1, maybe 2 guns, because ammo drops were based on the guns actively on your person - if you were carrying 4 guns, you’d get 1/4 the ammo for each; if all you had was the plasma cutter, you’d be overflowing with ammo for it. There was a reason the game had an achievement for a plasma-cutter-only run — if you fast tracked it with upgrades and only carried that one gun, it was an absolute beast in all situations and you always had ample ammo.

The_White_Crane posted:

I think Dead Space 2 might be the best of the original trilogy in terms of gameplay, but fundamentally I don't think it had such a coherent sense of atmosphere as 1. Although, I have to rank the section where you return to the Ishimura as being up there among the very best gaming moments I have ever had. The bit where Ellie says "They're pouring into the ship, swarming into the medical deck!" and Isaac is all "Well, good job I don't need to go there." *CLUNK* "Obstruction Detected. Now arriving: Medical Deck." always makes me laugh.
The best dialogue moment in DS2 is when you first encounter the Stalkers (the velociraptor-like Necromorphs that hunt in packs), and you’re neck deep in the things and Ellie tries to call you on the comm and Isaac just shouts “NOT NOW” and hangs up.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Replaying 2 to freshen up, first death was right in the intro sequence because I couldn't see the E floating on Issac's back since of course your trying to pay attention to cool monsters and not looking for button prompts.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Shiroc posted:

I felt like the explanation of "what is The Marker and what does it do" changed in every single piece of Dead Space content

They pretty much did, which is why this is a good opportunity to adjust things into a coherent trilogy instead of coming up with something new every game. You could probably keep most of the plots of 1 and 2, 3 is the only one that needs to be reworked from the ground up.

Xenomrph posted:

The best dialogue moment in DS2 is when you first encounter the Stalkers (the velociraptor-like Necromorphs that hunt in packs), and you’re neck deep in the things and Ellie tries to call you on the comm and Isaac just shouts “NOT NOW” and hangs up.

My personal favorite DS2 moment is Ellie shouting "YOU OWE ME AN EYE YOU BASTARD" at Isaac while carrying the screwdriver her eye is impaled on before turning around to resume beating the poo poo out of Stross.

It's not a coincidence that a lot of 2's best bits involve Ellie.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Dead Space 2 was cool. Then Dead Space 3 introduced a love triangle thing because the universe being consumed by death monsters was insufficient drama

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Idk0yR9qDNg&t=304s

Shiroc fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jan 26, 2023

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

Grimey Drawer
3 also had that stupid Snidely Whiplash villain that was just shoehorned into the plot to give a human face to the cosmic horror

Blankspace
Dec 13, 2006
Cautiously excited for this! Dead Space 1 was one of the first horror games I was able to finish and got me into the genre, I always got too stressed out to get into them as a kid. Somehow Dead Space clicked and now it's one of my favorite genres.

I'm glad to see they're adding more content than just doing a 1:1 remaster, I know the game too well to really care enough to play it through otherwise. Making Isaac have more character and expanding the cast/giving them more to do sounds pretty awesome if they do it right, there were definitely some parts where I felt like the game could've been a bit more fleshed out. No loading, AI director... all sound great. Still going to try and stay skeptical until the game is actually out, don't want to get too invested in this being good after how many times that's backfired lately... really hope this lives up to the hype.

After seeing this post I went ahead and started playing Extraction for the first time, it plays really well with M+KB on a Wii emulator. I'm kinda shocked how solid it is, I'm bummed I missed it when it came out since I can imagine how much more it would've clicked for me back then. Cool to see all the stuff that ties into the main game.

Blankspace fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jan 26, 2023

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Extraction was shockingly good for what could’ve easily been a total throwaway cash grab and probably the only thing outside of the first two games I really liked.

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?
I don't know why everyone hated the third game.

I thought it was great.

I didnt really think the first two were any less combat oriented. You're pretty much blasting apart hundreds of monsters all the time so the idea that it was a lot more action based doesn't really fly with me.

Creating your own weapons was good fun. The frozen alien city was just a good laugh, I loved how utterly absurd things got. Dead Space was always absurd. The unitologists were always scenery chewing morons. The marker was always some handwavey sci fi bullshit that never made any sense. I never really cared.

The co op was a lot of fun and I never even noticed the microtransaction bullshit because I always avoid microtransaction bullshit. If anything, Dead Space 3 was way more subdued about it than most modern games which constantly ram it in your face.

The space ship graveyard was really well done, and I loved the ripoff Alien music that plays as you float around up there. I have no problems with games ripping off Aliens as long as they do it well.

The human combat scenes were a little dumb but they were pretty rare. The sheer excess of Dead Space 3 was something admirable, I'm glad they didn't just try to make the first one again.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

It's weird thinking back on dead space, because at the time I pretty much felt that it was a glossy big budget horror that didn't have the creeping dread that made a Resident Evil or Silent Hill so effective. And of course that's now the exact place Callisto Protocol is finding itself, when compared to Dead Space.

Two solid 8/10 to 9/10 games is still a pretty good track record though, but the series as a whole is honestly probably lucky it ended on the mother of all despairing and apocalyptic cliff hangers, because that's the perfect tone for a sci-fi horror and has probably helped improve the franchise in our memories.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Dead Space is a god drat good series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I am so utterly excited to hear Gunner Wright's voice acting during the sequence just before leaving the Ishimura in Dead Space 1 wherein you're literally just hanging out with Nicole in the hangar, actually in the room with her palling around. So many potential ways that scene can play out or be remade.

edit: Personally really liking the gentler, more cautious Isaac they've gone with for the remake. He is so completely emotionally unprepared for what he is about to experience.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jan 26, 2023