Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
That means Dead Space 2 Remake is coming and will also have multi, right? Right??

Remake still rules I just played it again for the I lost track of counth time over thanksgiving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

My biggest complaint about Dead Space is that I have to turn around all the time and look behind me because sometimes monsters spawn behind me and it's very annoying. It's a bit spooky in the first chapter or two but after that it's just annoying!

Wouldn't be as bad with a 'quick-turn around' button but I think they deliberately left that out.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
They added it in 2 I think. Is there not one in remake? I’m playing on pc so turning speed isn’t really an issue.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Dogen posted:

That means Dead Space 2 Remake is coming and will also have multi, right? Right??

Remake still rules I just played it again for the I lost track of counth time over thanksgiving.

i think DS2R is a shoe-in at this point, but i also sincerely hope there isn't multiplayer, because any time you put multiplayer in a game with the spectral hand of EA hovering over it, something bad'll happen

jokes posted:

My biggest complaint about Dead Space is that I have to turn around all the time and look behind me because sometimes monsters spawn behind me and it's very annoying. It's a bit spooky in the first chapter or two but after that it's just annoying!

Wouldn't be as bad with a 'quick-turn around' button but I think they deliberately left that out.

this feels like a deliberate design choice, since the sound design and area layouts seem to frequently work together to create scenarios where a necromorph just silently sidles up behind you. that moment of, "ah, gently caress, i gotta turn this boat around," as a slasher sashays into view wouldn't be as powerful if you could click the camera stick and 180' noscope it

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Today is the LAST DAY for Dead Space 2 multiplayer before they shut down the servers for good. The game is on GamePass Ultimate.

I’m going to try and play on Xbox (gamertag “Xenomrph 01”) after work today at around 6PM mountain time and onward.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Dec 8, 2023

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

sigher posted:

To be fair, Dead Space 2 is way more action than it is horror. A lot of the horror in 2 is a step down from 1. All of the Nicole stuff is terrible; the glowing eyes poo poo is so lame.

However, the eye part is one of the best bits of horror in any game so. Then they endcap it with the worst boss in the series. DS2 is peaks and valleys.

i am curious what the dead space 2 remake will change. i assume they will redo alot of the nicole stuff espcially since they actually did stuff with her and issac in 1 remake. 3 i think gets a complete redo outside a couple elements.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

my bet would be on them working to punch up the horror here and there, redoing the drill section so it's not a boring autoscroller, making a better final boss, and adjusting hunter pathfinding and arena design to make them more threatening (since they're pretty easily the best horror part of the original DS2)

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

DS2 was perfect as it was, except it really made Isaac seem like a super soldier.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

jokes posted:

DS2 was perfect as it was, except it really made Isaac seem like a super soldier.

I like the idea that Necromorphs are not actually that hard to kill so long as you know their One Weird Weakness, and Issac being a super soldier is a combination of him being the only guy that knows that trick and also being the most burned out man in the universe and therefore barely moved by the sight of shambling fleshbeasts.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Xenomrph posted:

Today is the LAST DAY for Dead Space 2 multiplayer before they shut down the servers for good. The game is on GamePass Ultimate.

I’m going to try and play on Xbox (gamertag “Xenomrph 01”) after work today at around 6PM mountain time and onward.

Scratch that, a few discord servers are reporting that they’ve been booted out of their games and can no longer connect to EA’s servers.

Looks like it’s dead. :smith:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CuddleCryptid posted:

I like the idea that Necromorphs are not actually that hard to kill so long as you know their One Weird Weakness, and Issac being a super soldier is a combination of him being the only guy that knows that trick and also being the most burned out man in the universe and therefore barely moved by the sight of shambling fleshbeasts.

I am sorry but there is no way Isaac is the only guy who knows that trick considering "Shoot their limbs off" is in half the audio logs and written on the drat walls in blood.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

CuddleCryptid posted:

Yeah the obvious comparison to Dead Space generally has always been Alien, and Isaac has a similar “final girl” sort of arc to Ripley. Having survived once, he’s positioned as being the one guy who truly regards and knows the threat, and therefore the one capable (/ condemned) of facing it. It’s not that he’s superhuman, it’s that he’s come out the other side of the crisis and doesn’t underestimate it / has gone beyond being paralyzed by the fear of it.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

CuddleCryptid posted:

Isaac sighs heavily as he goes to work on the elite necromorph with the ripper, having already set it on fire and used stasis...

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

I am sorry but there is no way Isaac is the only guy who knows that trick considering "Shoot their limbs off" is in half the audio logs and written on the drat walls in blood.

Yeah, and the audio logs are all lying in trash cans unread for you to find. And that is a lot of blood to be writing in, isn't it smart fellah?

Joking aside you could say that there are people who figure out to cut off limbs but A) groups of people are all individually finding out about it while actively being slaughtered so even when they figure it out there isn't that many of them left alive and B) actual guns like the ones the security forces have suck rear end at severing limbs. I don't think that there are that many plasma cutters lying around. Issac having a proper hard engineering suit for armor rather than armor designed for bullets and small knives helps too.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Dogen posted:

Isaac sighs heavily as he goes to work on the elite necromorph with the ripper, having already set it on fire and used stasis...

A bored-looking Isaac attaches a laser beam to a milk bottle and telepathically cuts down a horde of necromorphs, pausing briefly to pick up some dead dude's wallet before he goes back to stomping dead babies into medkits

One must imagine Isaac happy

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
DS2 remake will be about finding that one guy's video log where he TKs the limbs off a Slasher and broadcasting it across Titan Station, instantly resolving the crisis.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Does Dead Space 3 have an extended underwater rail shooter bit? I've got part of a game stuck in my head and I feel like it might be that.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

isaac being a space marine in DS2 is less that he alone knows the one weird trick to destroying necromorphs and more that the actual greatest strength of the necromorphs (their generally terrifying appearance and the madness-inducing marker signal) are things he's already largely immunized against. stross is loving losing it from minute one, whereas isaac is his plain ol' self the whole game aside from the occasional trip to the sunny D dimension so nicole can yell at him

i'm not sure if they ever give a solid explanation as to why he's got a super-resistant brain in game anywhere. there was a dropped plot thread in the supplementary materials about a woman and her daughter who were basically immune to marker dementia from the jump and how they were being pursued by earthgov, but i'm not sure if that ever got introduced into the main games

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think it's established that some people are extra inoculated to the insanity because the ancient necromorphs had some ancient enemy, but honestly it's best to just lean into Isaac being in a state of mental shock that basically immunizes him against fear.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I thought that Issac was immune to the suicide version of the marker signal because he was supposed to be one of those chosen few that are supposed to make new markers?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

CuddleCryptid posted:

I thought that Issac was immune to the suicide version of the marker signal because he was supposed to be one of those chosen few that are supposed to make new markers?

much like in original DS1, it's very vague and not directly spelled out, partly to preserve an air of mystery and partly because they weren't entirely sure how far they wanted to tilt into bleak cosmic horror vs. softer sci-fi horror ala event horizon

i imagine the whole mess of how markers are made, why isaac isn't completely cracking up, and why he has to have a dream battle to destroy the marker will get some clarifying in DS2R, since they did a good job of cutting the knot original DS1 tied in its ending

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I maintain I think it would be rad if they expounded on the lore just a wee bit to point out that necromorphs feed on humans and humans feed on planets (planet cracking) and it's just an extraplanetary predator game but we're the rabbit not the wolf. Instead it's probably that Isaac is going to save everyone by taking the Necrosword and killing the Necroking with it or whatever.

Very upset we never got to use a planet cracker to take apart a brother moon. One day~

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

jokes posted:

I maintain I think it would be rad if they expounded on the lore just a wee bit to point out that necromorphs feed on humans and humans feed on planets (planet cracking) and it's just an extraplanetary predator game but we're the rabbit not the wolf.

that'd be a bit too on the nose, since DS1R already makes that achingly clear with all the visual parallels it draws. it's hard to imagine someone who's even vaguely paying attention getting to the bridge, looking out the window, seeing the big ol' meatball-shaped chunk taken out of the flesh-colored surface of aegis VII, and not immediately thinking, "oh, i get it"

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

There might be some Deep Lore but I believe in DS2 the explicit conceit was that normal people were resistant to delirium, and super engineering-brained people were likewise immunized from total breakdown, but if you were in the middle — just a doctor, or in Strauss’s case, an engineer who’s not as good as Isaac — those were the people really in trouble. It was a sort of twist on the old “destructive knowledge” cosmic horror trope: the marker implants its schematics in strong analytical minds, but if the mind’s not strong enough then the messages are too much too soon and the person goes full Renfield.

Ahh, the ‘10s… an era when Elon’s adherence to PR kept alive the idea of biological superiority in STEM majors. You could get away with the idea of engineers with high Will checks, then.

In all the DS games it seems like the really significant factor in things going to poo poo came from deliberate sabotage by cultists who either didn’t resist insanity or sprinted toward it. The DS1 Remake makes the Unitologists a little more interesting in framing them as basically a product of Capitalist Realist despair. Which tracks, insofar as mysticism crests along with social dread. I wouldn’t call the originals’ depiction of Unitology stereotypical, necessarily, but it was close: People went to the cults to go crazy, not because they were going crazy without the cults.

Maybe my memory’s faulty, but for as grimy as life in the setting was I remember the original games making the actual threat of resource exhaustion and necessity (/ unsustainability) of planet-cracking less publicly visible. Like the illicit mining operation was something done in secret. In the Remake everyone has a very 2020s mindset of “everything sucks and we’re making things worse”. The bit about how whole solar systems collapse due to the gravitational effects of lost planetary mass from mining is the sort of doomy sci fi detail I was missing in the originals. Like what do I care if a lifeless, airless rock gets pulverized to make children’s toys. Oh! Oh.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Dec 9, 2023

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Well dead spaces biggest problem is it was trying to build lore as it went along so you end up with a confusing rats nest of ideas

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Basic Chunnel posted:

In all the DS games it seems like the really significant factor in things going to poo poo came from deliberate sabotage by cultists who either didn’t resist insanity or sprinted toward it.

it's actually got a much more materialist basis, which is, rather annoyingly, hidden in the very last terminal in the game in DS2: imitation markers act as transmitters for the brethren moon network, meaning that they output comical amounts of free energy. the whole ploy is to send genuine markers down until they land in a society that's technologically advanced enough to replicate them (which necessarily implies, at least in the grim horror universe of dead space, a society that is also massively overpopulated and resource starved), with the promise of free energy driving that society to produce more and more of them until they're widespread enough to allow for the formation of a new moon once the signal is activated

you do get cults that get space madness from the markers and make things considerably worse, but the whole reason the madness-inducing markers get developed and spread is for the very basic reason of technological societies allowing their reach to exceed their grasp until they're willing to build replicas of the world's most evil-looking art sculpture just to survive

CharlestheHammer posted:

Well dead spaces biggest problem is it was trying to build lore as it went along so you end up with a confusing rats nest of ideas

the kind of tone they were aiming for was the biggest issue. chuck beaver, one of the original writers on the franchise, said that there were basically two camps: one that wanted a softer horror angle where cosmic evil was present but beatable, and another wanted it to go full lovecraft where struggling against incomprehensible eldritch forces was meaningless and everything you did was for naught. it's why DS1 and DS2 vacillate so much between "ghost nicole is genuinely trying to help you survive and destroy the marker" and "ghost nicole is trying to gently caress you over and unleash the necromorphs", since they were constantly having to come to compromises and vague characterizations to try and please both sides

Vermain fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Dec 9, 2023

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I thought maybe in the new one it’s because Nicole was successful in communicating with the red marker? I guess there’s some functionality the marker can’t stop but it’s doing its best to follow her request?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Imo part of the confusion with how the marker signal works is the game presenting the signal as both a wave of "radio signal that makes you kill yourself" where everyone who is exposed to it goes insane, and also a intelligent and manipulative sentient entity. It seems to deliberately target people in positions that can benefit the markers spread and then figures that anyone below that can just be converted the old fashioned way (manta ray dick to the face). But also it just kind of pulses out the Go Crazy signal and you get all kinds of batshit stuff written on the walls.

It's also a question of what degree of influence that the actual marker has on Unitology. The actual necromorph worshipping stuff is high level and explicitly framed in DS2 as not part of the experience of most people in the Cult. Generally it's just an old fashioned organically spreading cult, because when you find a seemingly magical power source covered in alien runes of course people are going to start worshipping them.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Humanity is doomed, except for Isaac's band of exiles that manage to kill a single brethren moon at the end of DS4 with the Ishimura's tail light blinking behind it.

The brethren moon are orbiting Earth which has become a brand new brethren moon. Then it looks in the direction of the Ishimura's tail light and starts floating towards it extremely slowly.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Is this the It Follows sequel

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

jokes posted:

Humanity is doomed, except for Isaac's band of exiles that manage to kill a single brethren moon at the end of DS4 with the Ishimura's tail light blinking behind it.

The brethren moon are orbiting Earth which has become a brand new brethren moon. Then it looks in the direction of the Ishimura's tail light and starts floating towards it extremely slowly.

I could dig this, maybe attracted to a newly colonized planet by the inescapable attraction of free energy making some dumbass go "well maybe a little maker won't hurt", meaning humanity is constantly outrunning the moons. It Follows mixed with a bit of a tyranid genestealer cult.

E. Fb lol

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Dec 9, 2023

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Dogen posted:

Is this the It Follows sequel

Yeah but instead of sex causing the demon to follow, it's unfettered capitalism

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

CuddleCryptid posted:

It's also a question of what degree of influence that the actual marker has on Unitology. The actual necromorph worshipping stuff is high level and explicitly framed in DS2 as not part of the experience of most people in the Cult. Generally it's just an old fashioned organically spreading cult, because when you find a seemingly magical power source covered in alien runes of course people are going to start worshipping them.
Canonically, Altman was not a worshipper or prophet, he was a guy who discovered Earth's marker and made moves to stop it and got murked by the gov't. I can't remember if the actual development of Unitology was a gov't psyop that they lost control of, or a game-of-telephone misunderstanding of what Altman's deal was that also happened to develop into space Mormonism

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Basic Chunnel posted:

Canonically, Altman was not a worshipper or prophet, he was a guy who discovered Earth's marker and made moves to stop it and got murked by the gov't. I can't remember if the actual development of Unitology was a gov't psyop that they lost control of, or a game-of-telephone misunderstanding of what Altman's deal was that also happened to develop into space Mormonism

Unitology kind of got its roots organically as some people saw Altman as an (unwilling) prophet until he got murdered, and then it was kind of nurtured as a government psyop that got out of control over the centuries

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

dead space: martyr lays it out as altman discovered the marker and had the same super brain as isaac that allowed him to resist the marker's influence, which caused the more supernaturally susceptible members of the government operation to view him as being "blessed" by the marker in some way. he managed to leak the existence of the black marker to the world and then died burying the thing in an explosion back into the chicxulub crater to prevent a necromorph outbreak, wih his death being used as a springboard by facility survivors to jumpstart unitology

that book's canon is dubious with how much it contradicts later series ideas, and i think DSR's taking a new direction anyways. specifically, one of the logs mentions that they've got altman's body on one of the unitology mausoleum ships and only big boy donors get to be placed on that specific ship. it may be a fabrication, but it also points towards the more interesting idea of him being murked by the government and them accidentally creating a martyr in the process

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Vermain posted:

dead space: martyr lays it out as altman discovered the marker and had the same super brain as isaac that allowed him to resist the marker's influence, which caused the more supernaturally susceptible members of the government operation to view him as being "blessed" by the marker in some way. he managed to leak the existence of the black marker to the world and then died burying the thing in an explosion back into the chicxulub crater to prevent a necromorph outbreak, wih his death being used as a springboard by facility survivors to jumpstart unitology

that book's canon is dubious with how much it contradicts later series ideas, and i think DSR's taking a new direction anyways. specifically, one of the logs mentions that they've got altman's body on one of the unitology mausoleum ships and only big boy donors get to be placed on that specific ship. it may be a fabrication, but it also points towards the more interesting idea of him being murked by the government and them accidentally creating a martyr in the process

In Martyr he totally gets murdered by the government, by a necromorph like a Brute or something. He’s the dude getting killed in the book’s prologue.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Honestly the original dead space was pretty incredible never bothered with the sequels though.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Yeah they seal him in a room with a necromorph in what must have been the most needlessly difficult murders to arrange.

That's the origin point of the Cult overall, but I more meant what draws your average Joe to the cult is a combination of lack of purpose and possible sex rituals, as is typical for a cult, but also if you are going to worship anything then alien infinite power sources ain't a bad choice.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Gotta worship somethin’

Lawman 0 posted:

Honestly the original dead space was pretty incredible never bothered with the sequels though.

2 is mostly great with just a couple lovely spots

3 is mostly lovely with a couple great spots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

DS2's a certified horror shooter classic and one of the best video games i've ever played. it's got incredibly tight pacing with only one or two small sections that noticeably sag, rock solid third person shooter gameplay, and some seriously impressive visuals for its console generation