Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

Vermain posted:

DS2's a certified horror shooter classic and one of the best video games i've ever played. it's got incredibly tight pacing with only one or two small sections that noticeably sag, rock solid third person shooter gameplay, and some seriously impressive visuals for its console generation

it's also got the eye needle

e: unity snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I'm super late to the Dead Space party. Played about 2 chapters of the OG back when it came out after renting it from Blockbuster but never got into it. Saw all the hubub about DS2 but never had a chance to play that one, and saw the backlash to 3 so I never bothered. The remake seemed doomed to fail, but when it went on sale earlier this year I decided to try it because this tweet by the developer of Dusk:

And I was like "poo poo dude you're right I need that right now" and the remake was the only game like that that I hadn't played.

I'm so in love. :allears: This game loving rules. Everything about it slams. Great setting, awesome action, characters I'm interested in*, a compelling narrative hook, all with excellent pacing, a fully realized setting, and without wrenching away control from the player every 5 minutes (sometimes that's ok, sometimes it's not...). After beating it I went back and played the original after some fiddling with the PC version to make it run properly and while it's still fun the remake surpasses it in every way imo. Finally getting around to playing DS2 and while I miss the puzzle box environment of the remake, 2 is so excellently paced and satisfying to play. I will also say that for some reason the zero-g controls and movement in 2 feel slightly better than in the remake and I can't quite put my finger down why. I'm actually baffled at how similar The Callisto Protocol is to Dead Space 2 except the part where it's good. In terms of structure and linearity and repeated gameplay elements they feel cut from the same mold.

Haven't tried Dead Space 3 yet, might not bother. I wish there were more Dead Space-likes.

*Dr Mercer is part of the long line of incredibly irritating antagonists I hate. The sociopathic supergenius. His whole deal is just dumb and annoying and I don't know why the voice over direction had him talk so slow but every scene with him feels like it lasts twice as long as it should. I do not care about stupid rear end villains like this when there's already an alien mind virus that reanimates corpses into Edward Scissorhands from Hell. Sorry but that's so much more compelling than just some psychopathic zealot guy.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Vermain posted:

DS2's a certified horror shooter classic and one of the best video games i've ever played. it's got incredibly tight pacing with only one or two small sections that noticeably sag, rock solid third person shooter gameplay, and some seriously impressive visuals for its console generation

Guess I should give it a go then.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Dead Space 2 holds up 100% in every department and is in zero need of a remake, but I want one anyways just because I like what Motive did with Dead Space 1 so much.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Welp. Made it all the way to chapter 11 before it started crashing at the same spot every time!

That's considerable forward progress from the dev's, why back in February it just randomly fell over all the time.

Looking forward to revisiting it in the summer where maybe it'll finally be stable enough to finish, 18 months after launch.

N.b. Yes I did that, yes I turned off that, no that didn't help either.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Deptfordx posted:

Welp. Made it all the way to chapter 11 before it started crashing at the same spot every time!

That's considerable forward progress from the dev's, why back in February it just randomly fell over all the time.

Looking forward to revisiting it in the summer where maybe it'll finally be stable enough to finish, 18 months after launch.

N.b. Yes I did that, yes I turned off that, no that didn't help either.

Yeah but did you try the other thing? No, not that one, the other one. You know the one I mean.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

veni veni veni posted:

Dead Space 2 holds up 100% in every department and is in zero need of a remake, but I want one anyways just because I like what Motive did with Dead Space 1 so much.

Tbh I thought the same thing and booted the game up after finishing the remake just to go "wow this game looks like rear end".

It's still good in a mechanical and atmospheric sense but time hasn't been kind on the more "realistic" graphics of the time.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I dunno I played it a bit after playing the remake and I think it’s still a very nice looking game. Obviously the remake looks better than DS2 but I think ds2 still looks fantastic.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I think dead space 2 needs a remake more than 1 did as 2 is set piece the game but the set pieces are pretty small because you know mid 2000s

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Dead Space 3 needs a remake where it's good and the final scene is Isaac taking the Ishimura and chopping up a Brethren Moon instead of its normal ending. If they're not gonna make a new Dead Space.........

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

I dunno I played it a bit after playing the remake and I think it’s still a very nice looking game. Obviously the remake looks better than DS2 but I think ds2 still looks fantastic.

it holds up exceptionally well for a game of its generation, although it's definitely getting long in the tooth in 2023, especially when DSR's shown what the universe can look like

i think the graphical update should be the main selling point with some spot improvements here and there while otherwise keeping the structure and pacing intact. i think the only significant change i'd like would be to introduce ellie earlier on in the story, since the clunkiest part of the story is easily the fact that she shows up to play mission control at almost the exact instant your previous mission control bites it

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
yeah after going through DSR completely fresh i went through 2 and 3 and, there's some definite rose-tinted glasses on those sequels

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Kind if depends on how you play, cause I tried them on series X and the 360 versions look like rear end now, but on PC you can uncap the framerate and bump up the resolution and I think DS2 still looks great. I really don't see this as long in the tooth. I also think the gameplay still feels tight as hell.

But either way I'd be super on board with a remake. All I'd really want to see changed beyond graphics on par with DS1R is to add some side areas and objectives like they did with the first one, because that was cool and I wouldn't mind DS2 feeling a little less on rails. Also expand the scale of the setpieces so you get a better feel for the size of the colony. That's it really.

Honestly I think DS2 visually holds up better than almost anything of that generation though. Maybe some naughty Dog stuff beats it out but that's about all I can think of.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I have lore questions. I know nothing about the remake or how it relates to the original canon info but I just read Martyr, ama bout to finish Catalyst, and I remember a bit from DS1 and 2. Maybe all this is answered in them but gently caress if I can ecall. They're all questions about the Markers sand how they work.

1. The big thing on my mind is how in Martyr, there are two "sides" - the hallucinations which are adamantly trying to stop any further dealing with the Marker, and the Marker itself which is always pushing for Convergence. I remember in DS1 Isaac had help from a guy who saw his dead wife, right? Why does this happen? It's all from the Marker so why does the Marker make some people try to stop it? I'm doing compare/contrasts in my head to try to understand. The Marker's influence is not like Indoctrination from ME where anybody under the influence is firmly guided and manipulated to help the Reapers. The Marker seems to instill a general insanity with the few chosen able to resist somewhat but that's it. When somebody works against the Marker is this just because they're crazy but their mind/will/whatever still rebels at being controlled?

2. Related, why does the Marker only show hallucinations of dead people? Again, compare/contrast, I'm reminded of Final Fantasy X where there's the Farplane and people see visions of their deceased loved ones there. Some characters theorize it's just these things called Pyreflies reading your mind but no living character ever appears on the Farplane, even if you think of them. It's an argument of magic vs. science, supernatural vs. mundane explanations. Is the Marker more than just really advanced tech? Is there a supernatural component and that is why only the dead ever appear and speak?

3. Why don't the Necromorphs approach the Marker? It's just taken as a matter of course in the novels but never explained. But the first Necromorph in Martyr would never have changed if they just left his corpse near the Marker. Why is the Marker itself somehow opposed to its creations?

Appreciate any answers or help. It's a really interesting universe to me. Shame I could never in a million years play these games myself.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

1. The big thing on my mind is how in Martyr, there are two "sides" - the hallucinations which are adamantly trying to stop any further dealing with the Marker, and the Marker itself which is always pushing for Convergence. I remember in DS1 Isaac had help from a guy who saw his dead wife, right? Why does this happen?

this is, unfortunately, one of the points of the original DS that never got resolved satisfactorily. there was a writing dispute on the team over how dark they wanted to make the setting: one camp wanted it to go as dark as possible with no real redemption in true cosmic horror fashion, while the other wanted there to be some kind of counterbalancing force to the necromorphs, which, in the case of DS1, manifested as an actual-for-real ghost of nicole that could help you out. martyr ran with the concept, even though DS as a series only kind-of-sort-of managed to square that circle with backstabbing ghost nicole in DS2, so the actual reason for it in the original series is unclear

DSR has a more comprehensive explanation: the marker needs to absorb its creators as the final step in the process of forming a brethren moon, but the red marker had been dormant so long that its creators were long dead. nicole used technology that dr. marcus had pioneered to talk to the red marker directly and explain that it could never achieve convergence, so its only option at that point was to become dormant again and wait for someone smart enough to construct a new marker to come along so it could upload the blueprints into their brain. the red marker only seems to exert some kind of indirect control over the necromorphs, possibly because of its construction, so it needed to manipulate isaac via hallucinations of nicole to get him to return the red marker to the surface so that it could return to dormancy and shut down all the nearby necromorphs for good

quote:

2. Related, why does the Marker only show hallucinations of dead people?

the real reason is likely "because it's a horror game and ghosts are scary," but a reasonable explanation is simply that the markers understand that the grief over losing a loved one is one of the strongest emotions out there, and that bringing them back thus makes it far easier to manipulate people (especially since the ghosts don't have a still living version that could snap someone back to reality)

quote:

3. Why don't the Necromorphs approach the Marker?

the explanation ghost nicole gives in DSR is that there's a literal "dead space" in the signal directly surrounding the marker where it doesn't function, so the signal that reanimates flesh and creates necromorphs stops and any that enter that radius return to goop. it's presumably that principle that the necromorph-suppressing dais on aegis VII works off of, although they don't really elaborate on it much

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I hope dead space remake was enough of a success to remake dead space 2. It'd be great to see how much of a a visual spectacle they could make it.

And as for dead space 3, maybe the remake will go into a different direction.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
It'd honestly be pretty funny if they remade Dead Space 2 very faithfully, everyone loved it, etc and then by the time Dead Space 3 is coming along, EA are done with their "cool phase" again, the cycle has swung back around so they're like "hey maybe Dead Space could be a multi billion dollar triple A franchise" and they again tried to smash all the current trends of that period into it.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

thebardyspoon posted:

It'd honestly be pretty funny if they remade Dead Space 2 very faithfully, everyone loved it, etc and then by the time Dead Space 3 is coming along, EA are done with their "cool phase" again, the cycle has swung back around so they're like "hey maybe Dead Space could be a multi billion dollar triple A franchise" and they again tried to smash all the current trends of that period into it.

DS2's multiplayer mode, but now it's a battle royale.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

jesus christ don't put that out in the world

but also they should put Isaac back in the tony hawk games or whatever it was

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I want to have Isaac’s outfit as a racing suit in EA Sports WRC.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

BisbyWorl posted:

Thinking too small for whatever terrible thing they'll be doing in 2029 probably but yeah something like that.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Vermain posted:

this is, unfortunately, one of the points of the original DS that never got resolved satisfactorily. there was a writing dispute on the team over how dark they wanted to make the setting: one camp wanted it to go as dark as possible with no real redemption in true cosmic horror fashion, while the other wanted there to be some kind of counterbalancing force to the necromorphs, which, in the case of DS1, manifested as an actual-for-real ghost of nicole that could help you out. martyr ran with the concept, even though DS as a series only kind-of-sort-of managed to square that circle with backstabbing ghost nicole in DS2, so the actual reason for it in the original series is unclear

DSR has a more comprehensive explanation: the marker needs to absorb its creators as the final step in the process of forming a brethren moon, but the red marker had been dormant so long that its creators were long dead. nicole used technology that dr. marcus had pioneered to talk to the red marker directly and explain that it could never achieve convergence, so its only option at that point was to become dormant again and wait for someone smart enough to construct a new marker to come along so it could upload the blueprints into their brain. the red marker only seems to exert some kind of indirect control over the necromorphs, possibly because of its construction, so it needed to manipulate isaac via hallucinations of nicole to get him to return the red marker to the surface so that it could return to dormancy and shut down all the nearby necromorphs for good

the real reason is likely "because it's a horror game and ghosts are scary," but a reasonable explanation is simply that the markers understand that the grief over losing a loved one is one of the strongest emotions out there, and that bringing them back thus makes it far easier to manipulate people (especially since the ghosts don't have a still living version that could snap someone back to reality)

the explanation ghost nicole gives in DSR is that there's a literal "dead space" in the signal directly surrounding the marker where it doesn't function, so the signal that reanimates flesh and creates necromorphs stops and any that enter that radius return to goop. it's presumably that principle that the necromorph-suppressing dais on aegis VII works off of, although they don't really elaborate on it much

Thanks for all this.

Also misremembered, Kyne was not really trying to help in DS1. He's the guy I remembered having beneficial hallucinations about his wife but I think my bad memory mistook his not being Mercer level evil with "actually trying to help." The wiki at least makes him sound like more of a tragic figure, anyway. I need to go to through DS1 and 2 again. The novels really got me jonescing to revisit them.

Also have the devs ever said if DS is like hosed up 2001? I read that book ages ago. Primitive humans guided to evolve by an alien monolith crashing onto the planet. The implications are def there that the Marker guided human evolution and advancement.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

kyne in original DS1 was written more as a weird creep who's cracking like an egg, though he's more generically helpful in DSR and comes across as losing it less aside from him randomly making comments to his dead wife. i think they had to make him more immediately sympathetic and feel less like a kook in the remake because isaac as a voiced protagonist would come across as a dumbass for trusting a guy who does a full-on crazy rant for 2 minutes the first time you meet him, whereas you can kinda-sorta get away with it when you're projecting yourself into the voiceless isaac instead

i don't know if they've ever stated if 2001 was a direct inspiration, though you can draw a pretty clear line between it and DS1 in terms of the general idea of the marker guiding humanity towards a destiny. my suspicion is that at least a couple of the devs watched evangelion: convergence is a meatier instrumentality, the marker's got a suspiciously similar shape to the lance of longinus, and part of eva's Deep Lore is that humanity was created by an alien moon crashing into earth. there's also parts of solaris and event horizon swimming around in there, and hellstar ramina was at least in the back of someone's mind when they were cooking up the brethren moons for DS2

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Vermain posted:

i don't know if they've ever stated if 2001 was a direct inspiration, though you can draw a pretty clear line between it and DS1 in terms of the general idea of the marker guiding humanity towards a destiny. my suspicion is that at least a couple of the devs watched evangelion: convergence is a meatier instrumentality, the marker's got a suspiciously similar shape to the lance of longinus, and part of eva's Deep Lore is that humanity was created by an alien moon crashing into earth.

Honestly if they ended the DS3 remake with everyone standing around Isaac going "Congratulations!" I'd laugh so hard it'd signal the Brethren Moons :allears: That said, I'd settle for fanart of Kendra and Nicole as Asuka and Rei respectively :v:

EDIT: Ellie is Mari obviously.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Carver's son is alive and you co-op with him instead of Isaac, working out his family issues along the way. Carver also has a grappling hook

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

BisbyWorl posted:

Dead Space/Lethal Company cross-over

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Also somebody on r/deadspace was just asking about the novels and if they should read them which is fortuitous since I just read them.
They were saying Martyr is full of bad old lore and Catalyst is way more informative or interesting if you want stuff on the Marker. Now, as somebody who is all for the Marker lore and the horror of it all, I totally disagree. Martyr is way better than Catalyst for this because the strength of the novel format as opposed to the game is how we get various viewpoints. It's not all just Isaac who weathers the Marker's influence comparatively well. In Martyr you get so many cool chapters from the POV of people losing their mind. I liked it a lot.

Catalyst? I don't like anybody. I have exactly zero interest in any of the protagonists. And so it sank any cool stuff being done by the Marker.

So, I dunno if this is a popular or unpopular opinion, but would heavily recommend Martyr, but you can take or leave Catalyst.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I’ve read Martyr like 3-4 times, while I have real trouble getting through Catalyst. I haven’t even gotten a quarter of the way through it.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Man, the folks on the Valor are exceptionally stupid. If they had no idea what was up and they took in the escape pod, whatever. But they knew about the Marker and they still took in the escape pod. One of those horror story situations where you just go "well, you deserved to die."

Although Isaac isn't much smarter. He didn't even try to help Hammond, just stood back and watched him get destroyed. Seriously, they always have Mercer behind a convenient wall, why not design something so Isaac doesn't just stand there like a dumbass while his buddy is gruesomely killed? The Brute doesn't even kill the poor guy instantly, it takes a horribly long time for Hammond to die.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yISfmvhLwwI&t=40s

That all being said, I watched a long vid of one of the original writers from a couple months ago. He compared DS1 to Alien and DS2 to Aliens. Fittingly, I have never liked Aliens much and always considered Alien the definitively superior film. Similarly, I have much fonder memories of DS1 than I do for 2. Maybe a second go will make me like 2 more, however.

Also Mercer is a great villain. He's exactly my type of bad guy. I hear the remake changes him drastically and that's a shame. His fanatical devotion - entirely unaffected and genuine to the point he lets himself die just as he had killed others - is brilliant. I'm a Pathfinder fan and there's a deity there called Zon-Kuthon. Mercer feels like a perfect Cleric for ZK and if I was smarter I'm sure I could come up with something like a Marker existing in PF lore to go along with Zon-Kuthon worship.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

the biggest change to mercer is mostly just giving him a less abstract motivation: he's utterly terrified of death and dying, and he sees the necromorphs and the marker as the key to immortality; it's swapping one horror archetype (insane true believer cultist) for another (self-serving rear end in a top hat who thinks he can gain X from unleashing ultimate evil)

i can't say i hate the decision to give him a very human failing, since it adds another dimension of evil to the story beyond the space horror bit, but the cost of doing so is that you dilute that more lovecraftian vibe in favor of having a more conventional bad guy who gets a real comeuppance for his misdeeds

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

NikkolasKing posted:

I have never liked Aliens much
:catstare:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

aliens is ftw but it's also a capital-A Action Film as opposed to the slow burn dread of alien, so i can see it not being in someone's ballpark if that's a big turnoff

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vermain posted:

aliens is ftw but it's also a capital-A Action Film as opposed to the slow burn dread of alien, so i can see it not being in someone's ballpark if that's a big turnoff

I do think that's a bit unfair to Aliens. Aliens has its big action scenes but they come after an incredibly long slow burn of building tension. It's like an hour into the film before the first action scene which is mostly the cast being brutally slaughtered and from there it shifts from quiet to bursts of action to quiet again.

For all Aliens has a reputation of balls-to-the-wall action the only real 'action' scenes are the Hive fight, the invasion of the safe room, and then Ripley saving Newt -> the Power Loader, and the first two are just punctuated by everyone in the cast dying ineffectually.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jan 11, 2024

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

I do think that's a bit unfair to Aliens. Aliens has its big action scenes but they come after an incredibly long slow burn of building tension. It's like an hour into the film before the first action scene which is mostly the cast being brutally slaughtered and from there it shifts from quiet to bursts of action to quiet again.

there's a big difference in initial tone and atmosphere: alien is space truckers who are stuck in a claustrophobic submarine who have to investigate a terrifying space ruin, whereas aliens spends most of its opening hour on a spaceship filled with colorful, energetic, heavily armed marines off on a bug hunt. the time alien spends in the space jockey derelict and the truly bizarre anatomy and purpose of the facehugger help to build up a sense of real anxiety that explosively bursts onto the screen at the right moment, whereas aliens telegraphs its intent from the start with all the cigar-chomping, shotgun-toting braggadocio that's clearly leading up to them getting knocked down a peg and having to spend the rest of the film surviving

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I don't hate Aliens or anything, I just...I've seen it a couple times, and that's fine. No real interest in seeing it again. Just not my thing. Basically it's as ^ just said. It's kinda the same reason I bounced off Predator. These are just macho meatbags who need to die. I'm not really invested, emotionally or intellectually, in anything happening.

Vermain posted:

the biggest change to mercer is mostly just giving him a less abstract motivation: he's utterly terrified of death and dying, and he sees the necromorphs and the marker as the key to immortality; it's swapping one horror archetype (insane true believer cultist) for another (self-serving rear end in a top hat who thinks he can gain X from unleashing ultimate evil)

i can't say i hate the decision to give him a very human failing, since it adds another dimension of evil to the story beyond the space horror bit, but the cost of doing so is that you dilute that more lovecraftian vibe in favor of having a more conventional bad guy who gets a real comeuppance for his misdeeds

Yeah, exactly. I can appreciate both approaches but the former, the unphased zealot, intrigues me a lot more. Because, in a way, the Markers/Brethren Moons/Necromorphs are fulfilling what Untilogy wants. The fact it looks and sound horrific doesn't change the fact they are "ascending" and "becoming one." Just really interesting to me that Mercer does not flinch away from how his religion gives him what he wants, even wrapped as it is in gore and screams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6QykUbmDog

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 11, 2024

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I didn't mind the changes to Mercer but I did feel Kyne was superior in the original.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The original Dead Space looks good enough I don't notice it's not the remake sometimes until the remake gets cut next to it and it looks way better.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Good art design goes a really long way. The complex geometry, lighting and little greebles on every single surface really help it stand the test of time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

The original Dead Space looks good enough I don't notice it's not the remake sometimes until the remake gets cut next to it and it looks way better.

Remake does a great job of looking like Dead Space looked in my memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

ImpAtom posted:

Remake does a great job of looking like Dead Space looked in my memory.

agreed, joins Age of Empires 2: Definitive and Halo 2: Anniversary