Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sandorius
Nov 13, 2013
Push to the next page, let's go!

One thing I do want to apologize for is that I hosed up early on, I should have let the NoMercy ambushers in Gongshi Village escape instead of slaughtering them all. This would have led to a followup event in which even more ninjas from the NoMercy house attack, and they drop a Short Weapon sutra available nowhere else in the game.

I only realized this a short time ago, digging through walkthroughs for more Short Weapon sutras. There goes Siwang's dream of collecting all the sutras in the game.

edit: whoops, counted wrong.

sandorius fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jun 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sandorius
Nov 13, 2013
Update 38: A Tempting Offer

Since there is pretty much a tie I will show off all three options.

If Siwangs mentions his father, he will promptly shoot himself in the foot by asking Yan Yushu if her father told her stories too.

There is an uncomfortable silence before she says she would like to hear more of Siwang's father someday.

Talking about his mother nets pretty much the same response.

Except that Yan Yushu says "Maybe my mother did tell me stories..." instead of remaining silent.

Choosing the lonely and bitter "No one ever told me stories as a kid" option will net a slightly positive reaction in which she offers to read Siwang a story next time.

Are you one, too?

In case you missed it, Yan Yushu is an orphan.

I also hosed up slightly in the last update, the Blood Blade technique sutra is not obtained from Master Shazar, but by hunting all four disciples around Wanglong Village at night. This triggers an encounter the next morning.

Big Brother, it's this kid!
Ugh, you've been taught a lesson and your next move is to complain to your big brother? How old are you? Aren't you ashamed of yourself?

Who are you? Why did you bully my little brothers?
What's wrong with you? They're the ones shouting at me when they see me! It's self-defense, how come I'm the one bullying them?
It's their right to kill whoever they want!
Are you out of your mind?

Winning the fight nets Siwang the Blood Blade sutra.

As mentioned all the techniques in the Blood Blade sutra have a chance to instakill, although there is a slight drawback that it needs a fairly high evil to learn. Sadly, this means that He Ziwan is unlikely to be able to learn it, she is only slightly evil (although she will grow more evil as she masters the Secret Book of Ultimate Poison).

Back in the cave, Siwang finally grabs the Blood Blade off Master Shazar after multiple attempts. The Fuxian Academy uniform offers a nice white background to show it off.

Bro, why the multiple costume changes?
I wanted to teabag him at first, but then I decided against it. I can respect a philosophy based on slaughtering your way to power.
... teabag?
I don't think I want to know.
Siwang dear, aren't you being a bit too evil? You know I worry about you.
Conflict breeds strength, but the Blood Blade sutra requires frequent and regular sacrifices, it's no path for me. In an art like that, the blade is the master, not the person.
Look, I'll put on a monk robe and smack him with the Great Seal Sutra to prove my righteousness, how about that?

Siwang picked up a monk robe and the Great Seal sutra a while back from helping train Suoba, the Karma Monastery monk who wanted to wander the Jianghu.

It's a Fist technique that does additional damage to evil targets, and nicely shaped in the form of a Buddhist swastika.

He also picked up an Inner Working from the abbot of Karma Monastery while there.

The Six Ways of Naraku is exclusively focused on buffing Great Seal, but offers unaligned Qi training as a nice perk.

Charizard Shazar is duly cleaned up by the broom-wielding Siwang without much fuss. As long as Shazar doesn't proc his instakill, he's only one against many.

Reporting back to General Shen nets his eternal gratitude and Jianghu reputation but not much in the way of material thanks.

I do think that's the barbarian threat dealt with.
Will you be going back to the Hidden Flower Cottage then, Madam Cheng?
Hmm... this has been an entertaining diversion, but this Nine Yin Bone Claw has been sort of disappointing. It's too hard to avoid mangling the heart, it has almost no surgical potential at all. And I do miss Feifei.
Before you leave, we should have a good meal to celebrate our victory over Shazar.
Sounds like a great idea! Siwang's paying.
Well, I do have a standing invitation to visit the Fancy Feast Hall... I wonder if Nan Xian told them to expect me?

The best food in all of Shu... This looks like the headquarters of the Fancy Feast Hall that Nan Xian mentioned.

The queue at the Fancy Feast Hall snakes all the way to the entrance of the courtyard.

The people in the queue mostly complain about the wait, although this enterprising young lady seizes the opportunity to flirt a little with Siwang.

Since you're handsome, I'll let you buy me dinner.

Being an RPG protagonist, Siwang ignores the queue and marches straight in.

The waiter appears out of nowhere and politely asks Siwang to join the queue and wait outside.

It's not readily apparent in the screenshot, but the waiter is using Qinggong to zoom around the feast hall at triple speed.

Good, good! As expected of a food hall like the Fancy Feast Society, in the blink of an eye, in a single breath, the beef appeared in front of me! Here's a reward for you!

Siwang turns to the... head waiter? cashier? and asks to see Xi Pao, the head of the Fancy Feast Hall. This guy is clearly handling the payment because you can see an abacus and some silver taels on the desk in front of him.

The shopkeeper scolds Siwang for having the temerity to ask the head of the Fancy Feast Hall to cook for him, but Siwang is saved by an unexpected visitor, the Southern Idler himself, Nan Xian / Xu Xuke.

Shopkeeper Jin, don't be angry, I guarantee you that our guest is not here to ask your big sister to cook for him.
Nan Xian! You're here!

What worth is your guarantee, you alcholic drunkard? Now I'm suspicious... is he here to cheat like you?

They have a brief argument before Xi Pao herself comes out to find out what's going on. Nan Xian introduces Siwang as being from another world.

Oh my! A visitor from beyond the heavens?
So thin and skinny, what have you been eating?
Skinny?

Later, sit down and have a good meal, I'll make you a bowl of porridge with cordyceps and pig liver to nourish you!

In the background, four people dressed in bandit costumes hurriedly walk out as they hear the critical words "visitor from beyond the heavens". Luckily, Nan Xian says he thought they were suspicious, and had asked the kitchen to put laxatives in their food.

Xi Pao scolds him for ruining good food, but the waiter sides with Nan Xian. There is a bit of an argument and Nan Xian drags everyone outside to confront the bandits.

The bandits are understandably unhappy at being drugged, and call for help.

Reinforcements arrive, and Xi Pao says that everyone could do with some exercise before eating.

Nan Xian has leveled up considerably from when we last met. He is still an exponent of the Drunken Eight Immortal Sword, which does fairly standard damage with an added chance of confusion.

Xi Pao is not particularly strong for a Rank 44 character but has a weapon with terrifying implications.

Lacewing Blade: "A sacred weapon handed down from generation to generation to the person bearing the title of "Zaoniang", since ancient times. The actual text written on the blade has been lost. Legend has it that using this blade for purposes other than cooking will dull the blade, so "Zaoniang" has always collected the blood of her enemies after a battle, to make pork blood cake."

A random general appears after all the bandits have been beaten.

You petty thieves! Do you even know who the chef of this restaurant is? How dare you make a fuss here!

General Huangfu is the military commander of this region, and also a longtime friend and ally of the Fancy Feast Hall. He arrests them all and asks Xi Pao about the rumours he's heard, of a new outlander.

Siwang introduces himself as the outlander in question, and General Huangfu immediately challenges him to a friendly bout.

Since it would be rude to bring a ravenous lion into this, Siwang picks the Poison King, Giant Wood, to help him. He picked up the snake a while ago, lurking to the south of the Fancy Feast Hall.

Giant Wood is frankly quite terrible at fighting and does literally a tenth of the damage Golden Mane does (and Golden Mane is worse at DPS than Southern Tyrant).

Still, General Huangfu is an old man who has probably spent the last decade doing paperwork, so Siwang doesn't even bother to pull out the ol' Nokia, and simply kicks him in the balls repeatedly.

General Huangfu accepts his loss gracefully and leaves, promising to interrogate the bandits about their links to the NoMercy house, and to keep an eye out for the missing members of the Fancy Feast Hall.

Back in the feast hall, Xi Pao cooks Siwang his promised porridge with cordyceps and pig liver. Siwang finds it delicious and praises it lavishly, which makes Xi Pao so happy she gives him her recipe for stewed leopard placenta.

She then asks Siwang to help find and recall her right-hand man, Ironmouth Yanhuai, who is in Shija Salt Estate discussing their salt supply.

Freed from cutscene hell, Siwang promptly cooks a portion of stewed leopard placenta and feeds it to his adoptive little sister. Sibling love, eh?

Moon Goddess, what is this?

Hwarrh!

Inky is not happy! You non-Taihua people are so strange, who would think to eat an unborn leopard cub! Not only Inky, but I'm angry too!
Yeah, it's weird.

Siwang also buys some more exotic food from Shopkeeper Jin. Luo Yuanyu loves the stewed bear palm, One Palm Conquers the Universe.

Haha, One Palm Conquers the Universe? I wonder when mine will be able to conquer the world!

Yuanyu, you use a fishing rod in combat. That dish isn't going to do anything to help you.
Not true! I use flying kicks pretty often!
Doesn't this place have any normal food?
That's how you know it's high class, dear.
I don't think I have much of an appetite left after that stewed leopard placenta...
Well, we need to go to Shijia Salt Estate to look for Yanhuai, how about we stop for some tofu pudding there?
Yay!

Yanhuai is just standing in a corner of Shijia Salt Estate, looking at some salt. Siwang introduces himself as an outlander and asks him to return to the Fancy Feast Hall.

Two ruffians appear and attempt to capture Siwang for the bounty on his head put out by the NoMercy House. Being small fry, however, they are scared off when Yanhuai boasts of his moniker "Ironmouth" and threaten to eat them.

Back at the Fancy Feast Hall, Xi Pao introduces Siwang to the other members.

The first (and only) thing Siwang notices about Sai Yiyin is that she's pretty.

There is also Yan Qiao, a little girl who is very insistent that Siwang call her big sister, as she is his senior in the He Luo Clan (apparently what the Fancy Feast Hall call themselves).

Poor Yan Qiao is soon to be disappointed - Siwang is not going to officially join the He Luo Clan, as they intend for him to be sent home.

There is a lot of talk about how the River Map (Ho Tu) and Book of Heaven (Lo Shu) can be used to do this. Nan Xian says that this might be a tad difficult, as the Book of Heaven was broken into six pieces following the events of the Huangfu tragedy.

Siwang takes out the fragment he already obtained from He Baishao, to general astonishment and delight.

Xi Pao questions the veracity of Nan Xian's information, but he claims to have heard it directly from Di Er Chi, the first master of Fuxian Academy.

Di Er Chi? You may be able to fool outsiders, but not me. He's been a recluse for years, never wondering about the state of the world. He only cares about the destruction of the Wong family, how would he know about this?

There are a lot of new names being tossed around here, but it's pretty safe to say that Di Er Chi is the Uncle Chi that Yan Yushu just got a chess set for.

Uncle Chi said he was very happy after receiving the gift, but he had a weird expression on his face for some reason...

Eventually, the meeting breaks up, and Siwang is instructed to find the remaining fragments of the Book of Heaven. Yanhuai here asks Siwang to keep looking for other members of the Fancy Feast Hall, who are scattered everywhere and will help him now.

Well, I wish you luck in your search, Siwang, but I really should be getting back to Feifei now.
Can't you stay a while longer, Madam Cheng?
You've all outstripped me in martial arts long ago, I've barely done anything to help you. You don't need me here, dear.
But...
The Wolf Barbarians are no longer a threat, how about you find that nice young man to join you? Zhang Junbao?
He ran off with a pretty young Taoist nun when we got back to Qingcheng Monastery, remember?
Men!
Yeah, men!
I can't believe he would just abandon Ling Shuangjun like that... I thought they had something special going on.
Oh right, we didn't check in with him. Poor guy, I bet he's unhappy.

Ling Shuangjun is indeed very distressed at the way Zhang Junbao left with the mysterious beauty.

Watch where you're going!
Oh, it's Brother Gui. Don't sneak up on me like that!
Hey, I wasn't sneaking at all! Just walking here!
Oh, Brother Gui, please don't get angry. It's all because of that drat bamboo shoot that I didn't notice you!
Bamboo shoot? Did they not cook it properly in your kitchen or something?
Stop playing dumb, Brother Gui! It's that girl you and Brother Junbao gathered from the wilds that day!

She left Qingcheng Mountain after speaking to the Head Master, but Junbao left with her! And he hasn't come back yet!
Adultery! How dare they call themselves Taoist priests, how can they meet the gaze of the Supreme Lord Taishang?
I thought it wasn't forbidden for Taoist priests to marry...
Brother Gui! Whose side are you on?
Sorry, sorry, of couse I support you.

Ling Shuangjun tells Siwang the pair have set up camp at the base of the mountain, and tears off a piece of his sleeve and writes on it.

Tell Brother Junbao he has forgotten his righteousness in the face of lust! I, Ling Shuangjun, will never be with him again!

Letter of Cessation: "Ling Shuangjun wrote a letter of desperation in a fit of rage, the words in this letter are heartbreaking."

He's so cute when he stamps his feet like this. Zhang Junbao! I will never forgive you!
Guess I know which ship you prefer, huh?
Big brother, what are you talking about?
It's too early for you to know. Come on, let's go find those two, there's some primo drama going on and I don't want to miss it.

Zhang Junbao and the Taoist nun Bai Sun have set up camp in a pair of abandoned houses just west of Qingcheng Monastery.

A letter of no return... Brother Gui, I don't know what Shuangjun told you, but I believe he has misunderstood.
Don't be angry, Brother Gui, this is all my fault.

After the Head Master of Qingcheng Monastery refused to treat Bai Sun's internal injuries, Zhang Junbao chased after her and offered to use his own techniques to help heal her.

If only I had the time to explain, things wouldn't have turned out like this...
It's the second time I've left him alone at Qingcheng Mountain, no wonder he's angry...

This place might be nice and quiet, but it's a bit shabby, don't you think?
It doesn't matter at all, a Taoist priest doesn't need to live in a house of gold or silver.

Beside, after traveling with Brother Zhang for so long, I'm happy just to have a roof over my head.
Exactly, Sister Bai!
(Wow, these two are really a match made in heaven, after only a few days together, he's already marching to her tune!)

Zhang Junbao and Bai Sun will stay here for three days while he tries to heal her internal injuries.

During this time, the couple can be found practicing their swordplay and watching in admiration respectively. If Siwang talks to Junbao, he gets challenged to a duel.

Zhang Junbao, "Blue Sky, Lonely Moon", is a Soft swordsman and his sword techniques do extra damage on counterattack.

Jinwu Sword: "Zhang Junbao's sword is ancient and has a blade like autumn water. With this sword, he is able to wipe out the evil elements in this world."

The Taoist nun "Bai Sun" also has a special weapon.

Night Snow: "A glove made of ice silkworm silk, as thin as a cicada's wing and light as a feather. The enemy can only feel the life-threatening coldness when their palms are on top of each other."

Dueling "Bai Sun" reveals that her true name is Chu Xianglian, "Far-reaching Cold Fairy". She is a Fist weapon-user who focuses strongly on freezing her enemies.

When night falls, they go to sleep separately, in two different houses. No adultery here, oh no!

At least, not involving Zhang Junbao.

(That was a nice glove she had on her, maybe I should take it off her while she's sleeping?)
(No no no! Bad Siwang! You can't go around stealing stuff off potential allies! Think of how disappointed Madam Cheng and Duan Siping would be!)
(But it was a very nice glove...)

If Siwang does take it into his head to steal from Chu Xianglian while she is asleep, she will catch him, although she is more amused than angry.

Oh, don't be so nervous. I alway thought you were different from the goose in the next room...
And now that you're here touching me at night, I'm even more certain.
Hehehe... I don't hate people like you. If you agree to do me a small favour, it's not like I wouldn't let you keep going...

If Siwang refuses her offer, she will scream for help, and Zhang Junbao will come to her rescue.

I'm a decent man, I won't do anything that corrupts public decency!
Oh... I see...
Brother Junbao! Help! Help! A molester!

I can explain!
I'm no molester, I'm just a thief!
Unbelievable! Brother Siwang, I was wrong about you!

This leads to Siwang killing them both in self-defense, which is far from the ideal outcome.

Please vote:

A - Siwang does not steal from Chu Xianglian at night. This will lead to Zhang Junbao being recruitable.
B - Siwang steals from Chu Xianglian at night and accepts her offer. This will lead to Chu Xianglian being recruitable.
C - Siwang steals from Chu Xianglian at night and declines her offer. This will kill them both, please do not actually vote for this.

sandorius fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jun 25, 2023

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

A, let's not disappoint everyone.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
A

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Be a theif

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
B, we need people who approve of stealing Sutras

Iceblocks
Jan 5, 2013
Taco Defender
I know I am repeating myself, but I really do like Siwang's characterization as that guy who is a little too in tune with the Dao.

A.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Always B stealing

Allesmakt
Oct 12, 2014
A

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

We didn't ditch Duan to stop stealing! :colbert: B

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
A

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

Steaaal B

sandorius
Nov 13, 2013
Update 39: Falling to the Dark Side (Bonus)

Since the vote is tied I am going to choose to side with Zhang Junbao, mostly because Siwang isn't THAT evil and also he already stole Chu Xianglian's glove in the afternoon and has really no reason to be poking around her at night.

But the other path is also quite enjoyable for those of you who enjoy being cackling villains,so here it is.

As Siwang accepts Chu Xianglian's offer, the screen tastefully fades to black.

What I want you to do is very simple, have you heard of Lord Chidan?
The leader of the Chidan Palace? A little...
He stole something from me, and I want it back.

Originally, I wanted to coax that stupid goose to go in and get it back for me... you should also help.

And then, when he is no longer useful... hehe... we'll kill him.
The Inner Working art he's practicing is amazing, you can have it as well.
What do you think? Am I not being generous?

Siwang accepts and takes a nap for three days, while Chu Xianglian recovers. Afterwards, the couple will leave their temporary camp and return to Qingcheng Monastery, leaving a letter to inform Siwang they would like to see him.

Brother Gui, thank goodness you're here!
You sound panicked, what's wrong?
Brother Shuangjun has gone to the Chidan Palace!

Apparently Shuangjun found their location and has mounted a solo rescue mission to get the captive Qingcheng disciples back. Zhang Junbao is besides himself with anxiety, and laments that no one here knows exactly where the Chidan Palace is.

Actually... I do know where it is.
What!? How? Nevermind, tell me quickly, or it may be too late!
I... I can't. I'm sorry.
Sister... why?
I... I'm afraid you'll hate me...

I'm not from a noble family at all, I'm actually the sister of the Chidan Palace Master!
Wh... what?

I disagreed with their Golden Elixir technique, so I tried to escape at night...
But my brother caught me and beat me up, it was only because the monks scared him away that I survived...
That was how I got my internal injuries when I met you and Brother Gui.

Sister, if you reject the darkness and turn to the light, Master Ling will look kindly on you...
When we destroy the Chidan Palace, you won't have to worry about your brother's revenge anymore.
Brother... you are right, as always.
But ever since that day when I was chased away by him, I can't trust him anymore!
The only one I can trust is you...

Zhang Junbao turns to Siwang and proposes a daring plan.

The three of them will attack the Chidan Palace and take them by surprise. Yes, that's the extent of his cunning plan.

Brother Zhang, you have made such an impassioned speech, how can I refuse?
Brother Zhang, Daoist Priestess Bai Sun, I'll join your trip to the Chidan Palace!

Siwang changes into more appropriate attire, and meets the brave couple at the Thousand Buddha Cliffs Temple, which hides the entrance to the Chidan Palace.

It's a narrow passageway so only one other person will be able to join Siwang, Zhang Junbao, and Chu Xianglian.

Siwang chooses to keep He Ziwan, as the most evil member of the party. There's no way he wants Ning'er to see what's about to happen.

Ning'er is cheerfully oblivious and reminds Siwang she lives on Suishin Island now.

Island Master Gui! I'll return to Suishin Island, and if you miss Ning'er, come and look for me in Fuyi Village!

The entrance to Chidan Palace is hidden behind the giant Buddha statue. Like any self-respecting supervillain lair, it has a giant red welcome sign (actually just the name of the sect, Scarlet Pill Palace), and also a small welcome committee (two guys with fans hidden around the corner).

They actually have their sect's signboard up here... these guys are quite bold!

Both Zhang Junbao and Chu Xianglian are deadweights to Siwang, but luckily only junior members of the Chidan Palace get stuck with guard duty, so the fight goes smoothly. Just past the watchpost, Siwang finds Ling Shuangjun.

Brother Bao!
Oh, and Brother Gui and the bamboo shoot.

Chu Xianglian's assumed name, Bai Sun, means "white bamboo shoot", and Ling Shuangjun is being quite rude here by shortening her name.

Why are you here?
Quite clearly, I'm here to rescue you. What I want to know is, why are you here?
I'm sorry... I was so angry at the time, when I heard the news of Chidan Palace's location, I ran out immediately...
Alas, Shuangjun, I'm the one who should apologize, even though I knew you wanted to make your way in the world, I shouldn't have left you behind.
Junbao...
The touching reunion can wait, how do we open this door?

Chu Xianglian suggests that the Chidan Palace Master must have the key, and Zhang Junbao apologizes to Ling Shuangjun and asks him to wait in his cell a little longer. Ling Shuangjun cheerfully says that he has some wire hidden on him and will try to pick the lock himself.

Just ahead is a four-way intersection. The path to the Chidan Palace Master is blocked by poison mist. Siwang does have the poison skill to just ignore it, but chooses to follow Chu Xianglian's advice instead. Both the left and right forks in the path will contain pills to let disciples pass through the mist safely.

The left path even contains a bonus viper nest, with a sword sutra "Five Lightning Piercing Heart Sword" hidden inside.

"Five Lightning Piercing Heart Sword" does pretty standard damage and can be upgraded to deal trauma debuffs.

Also on the left path is the Chidan Palace alchemy master, along with several pill furnaces and zombies. He recognizes Chu Xianglian as a traitor, and attacks.

He has some anti-poison pills on him, and now the party must decide what to do with the captured Qingcheng disciples, who have been turned into poison zombies. Zhang Junbao calls out to them, but to no avail.

Brother Wang, it's me, Zhang Junbao!
drat, what have these demons done to him?

Brother, it's useless, these people are already dead.
Wh... what?
Their minds have been destroyed by alchemy. Now... this is just the empty shell.
No... no no no...
In fact, we should destroy these corpses now.

My brother, the Chidan Palace Master, is much better at using these zombies than this piece of trash here. If we leave them here, he will definitely absorb them to gain strength when we fight.
You... you can't!
These are innocent people!
Brother Zhang, I understand, I really do... but even if the Gods came down with all their power, they wouldn't be able to bring these people back to life!

These guys were living with me only a few months ago...
Brother Gui, I can't decide. I'll leave it up to you.

Without the stabilizing influence of disapproving party members, Siwang is quickly succumbing to the siren call of the dark side.

They are already dead. If their spirits could see us, they would want us to bury them too.

With the poison zombies all dealt with, the group returns to the intersection and takes the right path, ending up in the Chidan Palace living quarters. Laundry, bedding, etc, and also three disciples, two maids and one unfortunate child who all attack as soon as they see Siwang.

While Siwang is looting the bodies, Zhang Junbao looks around, and finds something interesting.

These four senior disciples are in deep meditation for training. Only the Chidan Palace Master can wake them up, and he is certain to do so if he is attacked. Chu Xianglian suggests doing the same as with the poison zombies - kill them now in order to avoid having to fight them later.

Siwang agrees easily. Zhang Junbao objects to the dishonourable tactic, but gives in to the perceived necessity.

With the poison antidotes in hand, the poison mist gives no trouble to Siwang, and the group confront the Chidan Palace Master.

Sister. I've been waiting for you for a long time.
Let's end this.

On the first round of the fight, the Chidan Palace Master attempts to summon his senior disciples, the Fuyang Four Immortals.

He himself is no slouch in the combat department, capable of the same freezing techniques as his sister as well as having the incredibly annoying "Four Taels of Gold" talent, which reflects damage taken onto enemies in a point-blank AOE.

On the second round of the fight, absolutely nothing happens, because the Fuyang Four Immortals were all killed while meditating.

My disciples! Did you do something to them?
That's right, brother! How do you like my surprise?
Does it compare to the slaps you used to give me?

On the third round he tries to summon his poison zombies. Ordinarily, they would appear on the fourth round, but they won't, because they're dead too.

Pill corpses, come!
drat, it can't be!

The poor guy dies with a bitter complaint on his lips.

With deeds like this, how dare you call yourself righteous?

With the Chidan Palace Master dead, there isn't any point in keeping Zhang Junbao alive.

Chu Xianglian distracts him, Siwang winds up a powerful attack while his back is turned... but wait! Someone barges into the room and warns him!

Tch! It's this idiot again!
Bamboo shoot! What are you doing!

And you too, Gui Siwang, to think that I trusted you!
Looks like we're doing this the hard way!
Wh... what?
Junbao! Stop staring and fight!

The ensuing fight is brief. It's more of an execution than anything.

Shuangjun... looks like we won't live to see tomorrow...
Maybe for me... but not you, Brother Junbao...

Ling Shuangjun pulls out a bomb.

Run for it!
This rear end in a top hat! Using bombs in a cave!

Shuangjun... I'll avenge you!
Stop him! We can't let him get back to Qingcheng Monastery!
Got it!

Chu Xianglian and Siwang chase Zhang Junbao north, to the Bottomless Abyss. This is supposed to be an emotionally-charged confrontation, but it is slightly undermined by the fact that Zhang Junbao is noclipped into the rocks. If you squint you can see a little bit of his hair, please just pretend that he is there.

drat... drat!
Could it be that the Heavens themselves want to kill me? Why is there such a deep valley here?

Hahaha... Brother, I grew up here as a child.
How could an outsider like you hope to escape from me? I'm afraid it won't be so easy.
Shuangjun...
Heehee... that idiot tried to give up his life to save yours, but in the end, his life was only worth fifteen minutes of yours.

Taishan Laojun, grant me your blessing!

With a final prayer on his lips, Zhang Junbao leaps into the Bottomless Abyss. Goodbye, supreme secret of the Jade Meridian Sutra.

He... he jumped...
Good, saved us the trouble of killing him.

Incidentally, this is the last straw that drops Siwang's alignment to maximum evil, which grants him the achievement "Demon Lord". You can see the notification on the right side of the screen.

Brother Siwang, did you hear anything when he jumped?
What? No, I didn't.
It's probably nothing.

Here, take my senior brother's token back to Qingcheng Monastery.
See if you can get something from that old-fashioned Qingcheng Master Ling.
Hehehe... you dared to disobey my wishes, and now your son is dead, be grateful that I didn't do worse!
I will return to the Chidan Palace and rebuild. Come back anytime.

Going back to Qingcheng Monastery nets high praise from Master Ling, who rewards Siwang accordingly. Although the poor man is burning to take vengeance for his son Ling Shuangjun's death, he has no idea where to start looking.

Chu Xianglian can now be found lounging on the throne of the former Chidan Palace. Exactly what she intends to do here is unclear, but she is happy to join Siwang on his travels. Presumably they will lead a happily murderous life together before Zhang Junbao climbs out of the Bottomless Abyss thirsting for revenge, or some shepherd boy stumbles upon a cave where Zhang Junbao carved his story before dying and also an incredibly OP sutra, or something.

We will never know because this never happened. Siwang would never betray a bro like Zhang Junbao like that. Or would he...?

sandorius fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jul 4, 2023

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

Oh that was way more evil then I was expecting.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Yeah same lol

sandorius
Nov 13, 2013
Update 40: In Which Siwang Fails to Take His Own Advice

If Siwang leaves Chu Xianglian alone at night, she never makes him an offer he can't refuse, and things play out in much the same fashion. After three days, Zhang Junbao and Chu Xianglian finish their healing and return to Qingcheng Monastery, where they discover Liang Shuangjun has attacked the Chi Dan Palace, etc. etc.

The only significant difference is that Siwang has brought along the good-aligned little sister type instead of the charmingly self-centered evil imp type.

When asked to determine the fate of the poison zombies in the left fork alchemy room, Siwang naturally chooses the righteous option. How could he do otherwise, with Ning'er watching?

I am not well versed in these evil arts of the Chi Dan Palace. Perhaps they are not dead yet.

Similarly, when faced with the sleeping forms of the four Fuyang Immortals, he puts on a rare show of scholarly refinement.

There are things a gentleman may do and things he may not. Let us spare their lives for now, should they oppose us later, their deaths will be on their own heads.

Brother Siwang, why are you touching these poor sleepers like that?
Big brother! Stop it!
Haha! Just checking!
(They didn't have anything on them anyway. Ugh, monks and their vows of poverty...)
(He never touched me like that! Does he seriously prefer these monks to my body?)
(That does it, he dies too.)

The master of Chi Dan Palace is easily struck down even with his reinforcements, but as Junbao and Siwang contemplate their victory...

Cough... Sister! What are you doing?
Oh? But you are no longer of any use.
Thanks to you fools, everything in the Chi Dan Palace now belongs to me.

To thank you for your help, I'll personally send you to the afterlife!
Don't worry, I'll be gentle...

Siwang and Junbao start the duel with 100 internal injury, which cuts Siwang down to half life before he manages to down Chu Xianglian. Taking damage on attack is basically the bane of fast attackers like Siwang, although if he really had to, he could have used some pills or something. Zhang Junbao doesn't manage to do anything other than stand gormlessly and stare.

Are you alright, Brother Junbao?
Yes, I'm fine... I was foolish and blinded by appearances, and almost fell into the trap of a villain.

You should be also be more careful of women deceiving you in the future. The more beautiful a woman is, the more deceitful she is. Got it?

Oh really? So which one am I, ugly or deceitful?
Ahahaha... look, dear sister, I am trying to give our friend here some life advice, please don't take everything I say so literally...
Which one is Yan Yushu?
Urk!
I see that Brother Siwang has his own troubles with women, though of a different type.
Do not worry, brother, I will guard you from treachery as you have guarded me.
Thanks?
Hmmph!

As if to reward Siwang for choosing the righteous path, a second special Fist weapon drops from the fight with Chu Xianglian, to join the one he initially pickpocketed off her on the afternoon they met. Hey, gloves come in pairs, right? It's not cheating!

Siwang will take one copy for himself and reinforce it with Dragon Bone and even more freezing. I had hoped to push any enemies in melee range away from Siwang, but the knockback granted by the Dragon Bone doesn't seem to be working.

The other copy will go to Zhang Junbao, who actually has a secondary specialization in fists.

Zhang Junbao then proceeds to take Ling Shuangjun and the poison zombie'd Qingcheng disciples back to Qingcheng Monastery, leaving Siwang and Ning'er to walk back from Thousand Buddha Temple on their own.

The pair pass by Xiahe village, which, freed from the scourge of being periodically harvested by the Chi Dan Palace, now has a small sidequest.

Oh no! What should I do?

Oh no oh no oh no!
Why the panic?
Doctor Lin is running low on herbs!
Not enough herbs? What's wrong? Thieves?

No! I forgot to go pick herbs because I was playing around!
Help me big brother! I can give you some fine wine from Doctor Lin's collection!

Wouldn't he scold you for that?
I think he's forgotten all about it, to be honest. He's never opened it.

The kid demands no less than a total of 95 herbs, but Siwang is carrying around a metric ton of herbs, because of chronic "I need to pick this herb up" syndrome, and also he vaguely remembers some other kid asking for a herbal bath from his sick uncle, back in Cheng Yanhua's quest.

Still, there's wine to be had here and now, so the sick uncle can wait a while longer.

Here is Doctor Lin's wine. I really don't understand why you adults love to drink this strange beverage...

This quest is repeatable so Siwang turns in a few more bundles of herbs.

Old Cellar Grain Wine: "A good wine made by the best hands of the previous generation of wealthy people, stored in cellars for tens or hundreds of years. As a scholar once said, "Such wine is hidden at home, to pass on its rarity to family."

Back at Qingcheng Monastery, Siwang reports the successful extermination of the Chi Dan Palace.

Master Ling is grateful and gifts Siwang a Qingcheng Divine Sword Order, a token that also serves as a fairly mediocre Hidden Weapon, as well as a sutra for its use.

Thanks to the kindness of my fellow martial artists, I have been able to make my presence felt in Central Shu. This item should help your travels in this country.
Additionally, our Divine Sword Order can be used as a hidden weapon in times of danger. It is all detailed in this sutra.

Siwang also gives in to his larcenous instincts and snags the General Outline of the Secret of Qingxia off Master Lin. This will allow for complete mastery of the Jade Meridian Inner Working, although it is inexplicably a consumbable so only one person will be able to do so.

Zhang Junbao and Ling Shuangjun are now spending some quality time together in a pavilion just outside Qingcheng Monastery.

So much for that Letter of Cessation, eh?
Shhh! He just got rescued from a certain and terrible death, how can you expect him not to forgive his saviour?
Well, as long as he doesn't throw a fit again. I'm going to invite Zhang Junbao to join us for a while.
To guard you from deceitful women?
Violent women, more like. And to be honest, I sort of miss having a righteous swordsman around.

Zhang Junbao eagerly accepts Siwang's invitation and leaves Ling Shuangjun alone on the mountain for... the third time? Poor guy.

How is it going? Do you have a problem you can't solve? Leave it all to me.
What kind of adventure will there be this time? I can't wait!

Zhang Junbao also comes with not one but three different sutras, which makes up a little for the sting of losing the freezing technique Chu Xianglian had.

The sword and fist sutras are mostly unremarkable, but the Unsurpassed Pure Yang Technique actually offers pretty good inner strength regeneration, and might be good on heavy MP users like Luo Yuanyu.

It's time to start picking up our party members from their short vacation. Back in Gongshi Village, the beggar children are still on the lookout for opportunities to steal Auntie Foo's hambaba.

Little Mei Xiaoqing is having fun playing with the village children and doesn't miss her evil uncle at all.

And Luo Yuanyu is back home, same as ever, hanging out with his niece and idling his days away. Except that now he has a legendary fishing rod on his back.

Brother Gui! How great to see you, what brings you here?
I'm here for you, Yuanyu. I feel much more at ease with you at my back.
Haha, of course you do!
Let's be on our way!

Next up, He Ziwan, who has returned to the free bedding at the Duan Family Manor. Siwang changes out of the Qingcheng Disciple uniform and into a leather coat, but on the way into town, is stopped by the wandering medicine man at the town gates.

Wait, little brother, you smell...
I do? Crap, when was the last time I had a bath, is the smell that heavy?

The dialogue box identifies him as the Drunken Medicine Fairy Sun Dongyuan, although as far as I know, he never introduces himself.

The aroma is strong, such a good taste!
Uhhh... hold on, doctor, I'm not interested in things like that.
Well, if you're not interested, then give me the wine!
Huh?
The Old Cellar Grain Wine you have! What did you think I was talking about?

Siwang trades the wine for Doctor Sun's masterwork, a Potion of Concentration sutra. Unfortunately, it's either bugged, or he got scammed.

Since he's in the area, Siwang also drops by the local inn. As he is now a fully paid up associate of the Fancy Feast Hall, the closemouthed cook will now talk to him, and orders Siwang to go get him a bear paw.

Siwang is actually carrying around four or five of them, but gets sidetracked into bartering for one from the hunter hanging around the butcher's shop. He wants Siwang to help him deal with some bandits.

Wait. These are stragglers from the Leopard King's Fort.
Wrong bandits?
Wrong bandits.
Do not despair, my friends, surely it was the hand of Taishang Laojun that guided us here, to rid the world of evil.
I think we're looking for those bandits, over there.
Man, this place is just getting more and more lawless.
Indeed, I had heard the army lacks the funding to do much about them. Some audacious thieves made off with half their salary for the year.
Ahaha! Whoops, look at the time, less talking and more bandit banishing, yes?
For great justice!

The bandits in question are arguing whether to release or kill the hunter they've just robbed, when Siwang comes charging down the hill.

Brother Gui! We can't let these thieves go!
Hey! You three, I'm here to do justice today!

With the bear paw secured from a grateful hunter, the cook teaches Siwang the recipe for One Palm Conquers the Universe. He will also teach a few other exotic dishes like Juyi Rice if Siwang brings him ingredients.

Siwang can finally give Bu Seishou, the repentant bandit and aspiring cook, the recipe for One Palm Conquers the Universe. The poor guy is shocked to learn that it requires a bear paw, and gives up on his dreams of making it his signature dish.

He then asks for the recipe for Juyi Rice, which he heard of from a passing merchant. Siwang teaches it to him, and he is moved to tears.

This rice... it's not the same, but it's similar to what my aunt's made for me when I was a child...
All these years, I've been drinking and eating meat, I'd forgotten the sweetness of Auntie's cooking.
Thank you for awakening my memories! I know what to do know, I've been looking too far away!
My mother had a special dish, which she discovered when she accidentally put in the wrong seasoning when trying to cook chicken.
It goes well with Juyi Rice, and will make you eat several bowls!
I will find a place to open my shop here in Dayan Town, young master, please come and try my cooking!

This nets Siwang a new recipe, and finally completes this neglected sidequest.

Strange Taste Chicken: "A Sichuan cuisine cold dish. The chicken is cooked and chilled, then served with a spicy sauce. The sauce is sour, numbing, and spicy, hence the name "strange chicken".

An attempt to feed this chicken to Zhang Junbao reveals that he is vegetarian.

He doesn't even like spicy cabbage. He must get his bland personality from his diet.

Distractions dealt with, Siwang trots over to the Duan Family Manor and picks up He Ziwan, who is watching soldiers train in the courtyard with a critical eye.

What's wrong, Mr Bigshot? Got into trouble and need my help?
Yes. Please help me, Miss He.
Hmmph... aren't you a honest guy all of a sudden. Well, I'll show you what I can do!

I see you managed to get this dog to follow you.
Excuse me? Miss He, have I done something to offend you?
Not me! Ling Shuangjun! How dare you leave him behind again!
I assure you, Miss He, Ling Shuangjun is not ready to leave Qingcheng Mountain. We spoke on this at length, before I left, and he gave me his blessing.
His blessing?
Yes.
Tell me all about it.

There is one more person Siwang wants to check in on - Yan Yushu.

It's... it's beautiful.
Yes, you obviously think so. Since you dragged us all the way here from Dayan Town.
Big brother! You can't just refer to your prospective girlfriend as "it"! How rude!
I was REFERRING to her MARTIAL ARTS.
Can we just get on with it? I like sunsets as much as anyone else, but this staring getting to be a little too much.
But... but what if she's angry that I haven't spoken to her for three days?
Let's put it this way: do you want to make it four? Do you think that would improve the situation?
Do not worry, Brother Gui, if she kicks you off that mountain, we shall be here to catch you.
Wow. Thanks.

What's the matter?
This kungfu you're practicing is very beautiful, what's it called?
Beautiful... really?
It seems that looking good is all this technique is good for.
Errr... that's not quite what I meant.

Why don't you show off your own kungfu?
I thought you'd never ask!
Check this out!

Siwang proceeds to demonstrate the Rock technique of his Rock Paper Scissors Wildball Fist.

This... what kind of kungfu is this?

Isn't it amazing? This Wildball Fist is my famous technique!
I thought there was no kungfu I couldn't recognize on sight, not only can I not name your technique, I can't even determine where it's from!
Well... it's not local, I can tell you that.
Jiangnan? The Central Plains?
Further.
Eastern Japan? Annam?
Even further.
Da Fu? Fu Chen?
More than that.

Could it be... from across the ocean? I've never read of anything like this...
Yeah, something like that.
Thank you.
You're welcome.
A technique like that... you shouldn't show it to just anybody.

After this exchange, returning to Xiu Mei will reveal that Yan Yushu has been sent into a kind of introspective funk.

Miss has been acting strangely lately, and not eating well. She doesn't sleep well at night, and spends all night on the second floor balcony looking at the stars, not even afraid of catching a cold...
It seems that Miss has something on her mind, but she won't talk about it to this servant. Please try to talk to her.

Clearly she's depressed because the only one courting her is a weirdo like Siwang with useless martial arts techniques.
Hey! The Wildball Fist will be very powerful once I master the Jet Fighter technique!
Well, if she wanted normal people to get along with, maybe she shouldn't run away when people try to talk to her.
You're all idiots, don't listen to them, big brother! She's clearly lovestruck, go talk to her.
Enjoying the moon is indeed a soothing pastime when one is emotionally distressed. Why, I remember this one time with Shuangjun...
Do go on.

Why are you here? Aren't you afraid of being seen?
It doesn't matter anymore.

I kind of feel that I haven't thanked you properly. These few days... I've been very happy.
It's not that much.
I thought it would be different, now that I can leave the house.
But it was just a foolish delusion after all.

From one cage to another... so what if the chain is a little longer?
Why not just leave?
... leave?
Do you always do as you are told?
With your kungfu, you can go anywhere, how can this low wall stop you?

Perhaps the only thing that has been holding you captive all this time is yourself.
I... I...
There are so many strangers outside, and I'd be alone... I don't think it would work out.
Who said you'd be alone?
I'll be with you.
... Uncle Chi and Sister Xiu Mei will be worried.
Of course they will. But I think they will understand.

Also, I'll just be taking you to tour Dayan Town. You might be back before they notice you are gone.
Dayan Town is very lively, you'll like it.
Well...
It's a deal! I'll go make some arrangements and let you know when it's ready.
... I'll be waiting in my room.

(There are too many hills and mountains in the way to hire a carriage, a boat would be better)

A small bribe to the local fisherman and Siwang picks up Yan Yushu on his date.

Nice boat.
I wish my boyfriend would get me one too.
He'd have to check it for poisonous snakes first... owww!
Brother Gui, are you quite sure you don't want us to join you on the boat? It looks spacious enough.
Please just meet me in Dayan Town.
I'm just worried she will stab you in the back or something.
Nothing is going to happen. We're just going to have a peaceful, romantic boat ride and I would appreciate being left alone for that.

We shouldn't tarry too long. If Little Brother and Madam would get into the cabin?

Haha! He called them a married couple! And she blushed!
That was a good trick, I'll have to remember that.
Ugh, do none of you have a romantic bone in your body? Come on, it's a long walk to Dayan Town.
Are you quite sure they will be fine?
Big brother can take care of himself. Besides, what kind of self-respecting bandit attacks a boat?

Pirates!
Aaargh!

I do believe Yan Yushu's questline will be reaching the point where she becomes recruitable soon. Additionally, we are running out of side-quests and will have to tackle either Li Tan's or He Yuqing's questline pretty soon. Probably the latter first.

However, with the addition of Zhang Junbao to the party, we have no more free slots, so we're going to have to ditch someone, or maybe even several someones. Don't worry about gameplay, at this point Siwang could probably solo the rest of the game.

Please vote for the party members that will be taking a break from adventuring:

A - Luo Yuanyu. A reliable sweeper who might do even more DPS than Siwang due to his AOE attacks. His personal quest won't go off until he reaches Rank 40 and visits home again (he is Rank 37 now), but if we give him a vacation he will probably have reached it by the time we swing by again, as dismissed companions do continue to gain XP once recruited.

B - Ning Zhuanhuan. Very fast swordswoman who unfortunately starts combat sandwiched between Golden Mane and Inky Snow, so I always have to wait with her and waste a bit of AP. Backup healer as well. Her personal quest is mostly over, although I have skipped the festival on Suishin Island for... reasons. Would probably be perfectly happy living out the rest of her life as Island Mistress.

C - He Ziwan. Slow blade user who has only just reached acceptable levels of DPS, due to the game's unfortunate bias towards Yang manuals, which means that Yin users tend to have lower Qi. Her personal quest is over, having succeeded and failed in equal measure. Appears to be in no hurry to go home.

D - Zhang Junbao. Pretty terrible at everything due to joining late. Could be used as a buff support if the thread hadn't voted to skip Shu Yuji (and the buff sutra) entirely *shakes fist*. His personal quest, as we have just seen, is over. Will probably fill Duan Siping's position as the party conscience, but with considerably more naivety.

sandorius fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jul 4, 2023

Iceblocks
Jan 5, 2013
Taco Defender
A

Mostly for banter reasons.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

C can go home

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)

Iceblocks posted:

A

Mostly for banter reasons.

Agree

sandorius
Nov 13, 2013
Update 41: Choosing Life or Death

They killed the boatman!
Looks like we'll have to defend ourselves.
Yes!

Leave the man alone, kill that woman first!
(Huh... what a strange accent...)
Stay close!

Siwang, listen to me!
They're in the stance of the Shockwave Blade, but their moves are not quite right... attack their lower body!
(She's right... there does seem to be a slight flaw...)

This gives Siwang a massive 50% boost in attack power and explains Yan Yushu's somewhat OP passive ability "The Orchid Interpretation", which will buff all party members similarly. No, I don't know why it's named like that.

Rouge: "Yan Yushu carries a love fan with her. It is made from imported cold iron, piercing as ice, emitting a compelling cold air that makes the plum blossoms on the fan never wither."

Yan Yushu's technique, the Chanjuan One Sword, has increased attack power when counterattacking and is also unaffected by the internal strength of the wielder. This might seem somewhat counterproductive for a martial artist until you realize Yan Yushu has a Qi score of 0.

That's right, despite being the head of a martial arts academy, and being skilled enough to dissect the flaws of an enemy's technique in the heat of battle, she can't cultivate Qi at all.

She also has a terrible AI that insists on running into the thick of battle instead of safely poking at enemies from the side. Thankfully Siwang is quite good at healing, and manages to keep her alive despite the game spawning several waves of enemies.

Kill! Kill! Don't let the woman get away!

(There are so many of them and they just keep coming in a neverending wave!)
Run for it! I'll cover you!
Stop talking nonsense!

Suddenly a white-haired figure swoops in from above and joins Siwang and Yan Yushu.

Uncle Chi!
Base villains! Eat my finger!

If he seems a little familar, it's because Siwang met him in update 31. Uncle Chi is the mysterious man who was playing chess with the martial arts scholar Kan Wenqing, back when Siwang was looking for a letter of recommendation to join Fuxian Academy.

(Their leader didn't even have time to scream...)
I... Uncle Chi!

Running away was all my idea, please don't blame Gui Siwang!
Alas, my little girl has grown up and learned to reach her arms outward...

Lord! Forgive me for being late to the rescue.
Hmmph! So incompetent, how dare you call yourself a Royal Guard!
My lord!
Shut up! Not only do the Wolf Barbarians know your identity, but also the Fancy Feast Society?

Kid, I'll be straight with you.
The maid over here is from the Imperial Household Guard.
And my girl over there is the head of the group.
The emperor and the old man have placed them here to monitor the activities of the Jianghu.
I don't have to tell you what will happen if you speak of this to anyone, do I?

Well then, who are you?
I am the second idiot.
(So cryptic! He might as well have told me nothing at all!)

I've been watching you for a while. You're an impertinent kid, but you've been good to my little girl.
So I allowed you to take her out for a walk, and look what happened!
You're really bad at martial arts, to let a few Wolf Barbarians push you to the edge of defeat.
Come to the courtyard when you have the time. I'll teach you a few tricks.

I'll take my little girl back. Take care of yourself, kid.

Oh man, I seriously thought we were gonna die there.
Bro! Are you all right?
You guys! What are you doing here?
Ziwan convinced us to follow the boat instead. She wanted us to sneak into your cabin at night.
And you guys just went along with it?
I... uhh... wanted to protect your chastity!
Well, there's no danger of that happening now. What a terrible first date...
You're swaying a little, were you hit on the head or something?
It's just culture shock, y'know? Back home you'd take a girl out to the movies, get some snacks from the night market, share some bubble tea. No pirates except on the silver screen.
What's he talking about? How can tea have bubbles in it?
He's in shock. Could be blood loss.
Suishin Island is just a little bit off to the east, come on, big brother, we can rest there.
Will it have air-conditioning? I hate this muggy coastal climate.
What's air-conditioning?
Back home, you can get cold air blowing into your room and it makes you nice and sleepy.
Well, we don't have anything like that here, but I can slap you every five minutes with Chu Xianglian's glove if you want.
Perfect.

Nothing much has really changed on Suishin Island, although the local farmers will give Siwang free food every few days now.

drat, that was a great nap! I feel much better now.
Would you like some of our beautiful cabbage, Island Master?
Cabbage! I love cabbage. Do you love cabbage too, guys?
A most virtuous vegetable, able to be prepared in a multitude of ways.
Ugh, the rest didn't help at all! Maybe I should have slapped him harder.
No, it worked. Listen, he's babbling happy nonsense now instead of resentful nonsense.
I suppose you know him best. Although I have to say, I don't like what this place has done to him.
Huh? What do you mean?

What's wrong, Yuanyu?
Have you been enjoying your stay on Ning'er's island? Have you been swayed by this idyllic life?
(Yeah... I sort of wish I could stay here forever... no! That's not right, I'm not from this world at all! I still have to find my way home!)

Brother, don't you have any feelings for this island village that we've rebuilt together? Were you just playing along to keep me happy?

Brother, this world is full of desolation and discontent. Instead of this remote island, why not build a base to welcome people from all over the world?
Don't let me down!

Ooh, morning drama. We haven't even stepped off the island yet.
Miss He, is it always like this around Brother Gui?
Hah! Just a few weeks back we had a warmonger and pacifist in the same party, sniping at each other with passive-aggressive remarks. This is actually kind of tame.
He's the most interesting man in Central Shu. Don't tell him I said that.

Ning'er, I...
I thought you liked this place! What about the festival we attended together?
I do like it... but I want to go home, too.
I'm sorry, bro, I shouldn't have brought it up.
No man, I understand. We haven't made any progress on your own dream, have we?
It's just... this island is another Gongshi Village. It's exactly what I left home to get away from.
I want a place where the next man you meet could be a beggar, or a prince. Not just farmers and cowherds.
But...
I'm sorry. I shouldn't have brought it up.
Listen, bro. Go check up on your girl. I need some time off. Come find me at my sister's place when you're ready to help me out.
Sure thing, bro.

Back in Fuxian Academy, both Yan Yushu and Uncle Chi have returned to their houses.

Thank you.
There's no need to thank me. In fact, I should be apologizing, we never made it to Dayan Town.
No!
Even though I didn't get to go, I was still happy. For the first time, I thought...

I want to repay you.
Tonight, at 7.00pm, I'll wait for you at Racoon Creek Pavilion.

Yes! Yes! YES!
That's nice, big brother.
But is this truly virtuous? ...ow!
You should be taking notes, dumbass. Or do you think Ling Shuangjun is going to wait for you forever?
What are you talking about?

Uncle Chi makes good on his promise to teach Siwang a little something.

This is a little bit of my experience in martial arts, take it and practice it yourself.
What? You don't understand?
If your comprehension is so poor, then give up and get some simpler sutras from Xiu Mei.

The Drunken Pen is a Flower: "The fingering technique that Dongfang Chi invented after he returned to his seclusion and Fuxian Academy, using his fingers as strokes, and expressing Du Fu's famous poem "Eight Immortals Song in Drinking" to the fullest. A wild and unrestrained stroke, pointing in unpredictable directions."

This Fist sutra scales with unrestrained and requires a fairly high intelligence to learn, both requirements of which Siwang meets in spades. Thanks, Uncle Chi!

Oh man, I can't wait until this evening!
Brother Gui, I have failed you once already. Be assured that I shall remain on guard against any treachery on Miss Yan's part.
It's really not necessary, you know. She's not that type of woman.
I, too, did not believe Bai Sun to be that type of woman!
Brother Zhang, I hate to say this, but I think I'm a better judge of women than you.
Urk.
Hahaha! Yeah, give it to him straight!
Come on, it's still early, let's finish some sidequests before coming back.

At the Du Manor, Siwang has finally finished harvesting turpentine from the ancient pine tree, which required three visits spaced out at least three days apart to prevent the tree from dying. He gives it to the scholar Master Cao, who condescendingly makes ink for him.

Haha, isn't it a great honour for you to get this turpentine ink from me, who is so elegant and talented that no one who is not famous will associate with me, and no one who is not a scholar will speak to me?

Just looking at this old man fills me with hatred, why don't we secretly put some poisonous insects in his tea?
Forget it, just ignore him.

Siwang then passes the ink to the clumsy maid who needs it to repair her mistake, and receives... precisely nothing for his efforts?

Well?
Well what?
I gave you the turpentine ink, and you said "Great!". Aren't you going to show some kind of gesture, are you going to take the ink for nothing?
Did I ask you to ask Master Cao for the ink?
... no.
Did I ask you to make ink?
... no.
Did I beg you to get the ink for me?
Well, no.

That's right! I didn't ask for anything, you gave me the ink yourself and you want me to thank you for it? Silly man!

There is apparently a safe combination hidden in these paintings, but since Siwang sided with Doctor Chen and not Shi Hongtu we can't go into Mistress Du's room anyway. She has... hobbies.

Back south near Shijia Salt Estate, Diao Buyi of the Fancy Feast Hall is evading the Hall's call to action against the NoMercy House. When Siwang calls him by name, he gets pissed off.

I should kill you for talking to me like that!
Don't, don't! Big brother, I was wrong, please don't kill me...
What big brother, call me grandpa!
Yes yes yes, my lord...

The very mention of Yanhuai and the Fancy Feast Hall sends him into a frenzy and he attacks Siwang. Befitting a disciple of the Fancy Feast Hall, he has a blade technique in which a golden cow appears and gets sliced into several different pieces.

Although Siwang beats him easily, it's all part of his cunning plan.

Cough cough cough! Look, you've injured me so badly, how can you say I'm slacking off!
Uhh... honoured elder, Uncle Yan would like you to return to the Fancy Feast Hall.
Cough cough! Oof.
Oh no, it's not that I can't go back, it's just that I have things to do, and now that you've hurt me...
(drat, this guy is trying to push off his responsibilities to me!)

Now that Siwang has "injured" him, Siwang needs to help him find and confront "The Five Great Blades" to establish the martial supremacy of the Fancy Feast Hall.

The first one, confusingly titled "The Three Talents Sword", can be found just west of Gongshi Village.

The Fancy Feast Hall? How can a restaurant have skill in martial arts?
You dare look down on our Fancy Feast Hall? I'm gunna kick your rear end!
Haha, I'm not so bad that I can't beat a simple vegetable cutter!

Hey kid, do your thing.
Three Talents Sword! This one is Gui Siwang, entering the fray!

This gives Siwang a title, Three Vegetable Sword, that I believe buffs cleavers. Yes, this is a silly pun, since vegetable and talent are both pronounced "cai" in Chinese.

The next blade Diao Buyi wants to challenge is the "Four Aspect Blade". Unfortunately, he isn't interested in fighting at all.

Tch! You don't look like you have any will to fight, where's the fun in that?
Fun? What is "fun"? I've lived for almost forty years and I've never even held a girl's hand. What do you think?

Introduce me to a nice girl and I'll give you the title of Four Aspect Blade! I'll even teach you the kungfu!

Siwang could just kill this guy, but instead, he takes pity on him and offers to help.

Do you have a crush on someone specific?
On my way back from fortune-telling at the Feng Shui Tower in Dayan Town, I saw a pair of sisters chatting by the wall.
I fell in love at first sight! I hope she's not married...

A short walk to Dayan Town reveals that the lady in question is in fact unmarried and the fortune-teller told her that her true love would soon appear.

In fact, a friend of mine fell in love with you at first sight!
Oh! So direct, my sister likes direct people.

But it seems to me that young master is from the Jianghu, and my family's rule has been to never get involved with martial arts.

Siwang returns to the Four Aspect Blade and gives him the ol' "good news, bad news" routine.

The good news is, she doesn't have a husband yet, and no one has asked her to marry.

Really? Great! Now I've got a chance!
The bad news is... she refuses to have anything to do with people from the Jianghu.

I see... For the sake of love, I'll give up all these Jianghu things.
Thank you, little brother. Farewell.

This nets Siwang a fairly unremarkable Blade sutra, the Four Aspects and Six Meanings Blade.

Aww yeah, the Love Doctor strikes again!
You were just lucky, that fortune-teller did all the real work.
Better to be lucky than jealous like you, baby! I've got a date tonight!
We shall certainly make sure no pirates interrupt you this time, Brother Gui.
I hate that this is a thing, but... thanks.

The next target is the Five Tiger Blade, who is a bandit leader and attacks Diao Buyi with five other men.

Naturally they fall to the mighty Siwang and his Nokia 3310.

This nets him yet another Blade sutra. Frankly, at this point in the game they're all blurring together, although I like the technique names this one has. "Evil tiger blocks the road", "Hungry tiger pounces on sheep","Big boy comes out to play".

The Two Stunning Blade are actually a pair of bladesmen and Siwang finds them arguing with Diao Buyi. They say that it would be unfair for them both to gang up on him, but Diao Buyi says that there will be zero problems with that. Also, the one fighting is not him, but Siwang.

(This guy! Is he really trying to kill me?)
Hey, you won't need my poison for this, will you?
Do your best, big brother!

Brother Gui, with your strength you will have no problem against these two!
(You guys are really going to stand by with your hands in your sleeves and watch me die...)

Siwang unleashes the Buddhist Lion Roar on these two fools. It costs 10AP for pretty OK damage, but it's real strength is that it's got a huge AOE.

There is only one last thing Diao Buyi needs to handle, and he asks to meet Siwang just outside the Fancy Feast Hall.

I wonder what Elder has called me here for?
Shut up and draw your blade.
As expected. It was all an act, wasn't it, Elder?

We've met four bladesmen, but not the last one.
You're really the number one blade.
You catch on quick.
But you're only half right.

What I really want is not to be the number one blade, but the number one in the entire martial arts world.
But after pursuing my dream for so long, I've come to realize that there are men beyond men and worlds beyond worlds...
Men like you, in fact.
I've watched you fight, and learned so much from you. I think I might be able to find the answer from you.

Enough bullshit! Let's fight!

Diao Buyi's "Butcher Knife" proves to be useless against a rampaging Golden Mane, and he admits defeat, giving Siwang a copy of his technique.

Finally! It's getting dark, I'd better head back to Fuxian Academy and the Racoon Creek Pavilion!

!!!!
What's going on?

Out of the way!
Tch, what a time for her condition to flare up...
This... under her lips, it's blood! What the hell is going on here?

Calm down, kid. She won't die.
Yes, she'll be fine for now.

What's going on here?
As you can clearly see, my little girl has some injuries.
Don't you dare try to fool me!

I touched her wrist and took her pulse just now! This... it's not the pulse of a living person at all!
Hmm. I didn't want to tell you for your own good. I feared you might not be able to handle the burden.
But since you insist, fine. Calm down and I'll tell you the truth.

My little girl was born with a congenital deficiency of the Shao Yang San Jiao tendon. Not only is she unable to cultivate internal strength, but when I had the Royal Physician diagnose her when she was born, he gave her less than ten years to live.
For twenty years, I have sought out the most famous doctors in the world, but none of them could cure her.
Still, with my internal strength and the help of excellent pills, I've kept hold of her life for all this time.
Over these years, I have developed some skill in medicine.
This is the most critical time. If nothing changes, my little girl won't survive to this month next year.

Isn't there something we can do?
Yes. Yes, I believe there is a way for her to live.
Medicine has proved to be of no use, so I've been chasing wild rumours and legends instead.
Tell me, have you ever heard of the Yijing Bone Forging?

I've stolen and stolen, dug up graves and corpses, even stooped to working for the Emperor's son in this academy.
And I've managed to fuse the secret strengths of various Inner Workings into this legendary technique.

As long as two masters of the internal martial arts are willing to give their energy to this girl, I can adjust and reshape her meridians, and cure her fatal illness in one fell swoop.
Two?
Yes. Me... and you.

I no longer have anything to hide. Indeed, this is why I let you get close to my little girl in the first place.
Well, what are we waiting for? Let's get started.
Hold on. There is a catch.

The Yijing Bone Forging is an act against heaven, and treating people with this technique will cause serious backlash in the practitioner.
You are young and strong, and your kungfu is passable, so your life should not be in danger.

But if you help my little girl today, I guarantee that you will never be able to reach the pinnacle of martial arts!
In this life, at best, you will revolve around the doorway to perfection, but you will never be able to pass through.
This is the price you will have to pay.

I have tried to make everything as clear as possible. Now, kid, it's up to you.
Ahem!
Uncle Chi...
Little girl!

Haven't you forgotten... to ask someone's opinion?
You think I don't know... how much your life expectancy will be reduced? How much life you will give up?
Plus... Siwang's martial arts...
If he has taught me one thing, it's this!

I can take care of myself! I don't need others to sacrifice for me!
I'm sorry, dear. This isn't for you to choose.
Kid! What do you say?

Siwang, if it were you, you'd understand, wouldn't you?

Please vote:

A - Use the Yijing Bone Forging technique on Yan Yushu. This is likely to kill her adoptive father, and may result in her becoming bitter and angry with Siwang. But she will live.

B - Don't use the Yijing Bone Forging technique on Yan Yushu. Respect her choices and bodily autonomy. She will not live to see the year.

Yan Yushu will join the party either way, although her stats will be different.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
B. Don't use it. The pinnacle of martial arts waits for no one! And it's what Yan wants.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
drat, can you imagine shouting "the Big Boy Comes Out To Play" during your kungfu duel? Love it.

But it's gotta be B. She can think for herself.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

(Dany shits in a field)
B. Don't use it.

I don't care about the girl's fate, but losing the chance to reach martial arts perfection would suck

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Be an ally, her choice!

sandorius
Nov 13, 2013
Update 42: There Goes the Bubble Tea

It looks like a unaminous vote for letting Yan Yushu decide her own fate, and incidentally ruining my carefully crafted foreshadowing because I thought things would go the other way! Ah well, that's what happens when you put things up for vote.

I understand.
Don't do anything stupid, kid!

I'm sorry, but this is something she should decide for herself!
... thank you.
Looks like you're forcing me to use my strength to convince you!

Is your Uncle Chi always like this?
He's like a big baby, really.
Well, this baby is about to kill us both with his tantrum.
Ow!
Hey, dumbass! Stop it!

Ha... hahaha!
For the past twenty years I have been dedicated to saving your life. Was I following the wrong path all along?

No... Uncle Chi, I will never be able to repay your kindness to me in this lifetime.
That's why... I don't want you to sacrifice yourself for me.
For the first time in twenty years, I feel that my life belongs to me.
Uncle Chi. I promise you, I won't die lightly.

I will find a way to cure myself without sacrificing others!

Hah... hahaha!
I must be getting old and confused.
Twenty years have passed in a flash, and somehow I have become the kind of person I hated the most in my youth.
You young people can do as you please! I don't care!

I get it now. Your Uncle Chi is a tsundere.
What?
The violent slappy type, too. He should do up his hair in pigtails.
... please don't put images like that in my head.
He has fabulous hair, though. It draws comment.
...heh.
That's the spirit. You look better with a smile on your face.

Gui Siwang, thank you.
Without you, I wouldn't have been able to get Uncle Chi to agree with my decision.
I have nothing to give you, but should you ever encounter any trouble... please don't hesitate to ask me for help.

Only speak the word, and I will be there to support you.
I'm going back now. Come find me at the academy.

Miss Yan, I'm troubled.
Already?
Some pirates interrupted my date with a pretty lady, and now I'm so lonely...
There are three people poking their heads around the doorway behind you.
I'm physically surrounded, but spiritually lonely.
That's terrible! How can you say that about your little sister?
What are you guys even doing here?
Ning'er and Junbao are here to safeguard Siwang's virtue.
He does seem like the kind of person to lose it frequently.
And you?
I'm here for the show.
Hey!
And also he has a bigger sutra collection than your entire academy.
That's because he took a lot of it from your maidservant Xiu Mei.
What?
What?
Listen guys, I'm trying to recruit her here, stop sabotaging me!
It seems I do have to join you, if only to find out what you're all talking about.

Yan Yushu joins with the Chanjuan Yi Sword Technique. I have no idea what's up with the translation of the name because I can clearly see the character for "nine" in the book icon, though. In any case, it ignores the wielder's Qi for damage calculation purposes and has several passive upgrades that increase the damage dealt against specific weapon types.

Uncle Chi has calmed down considerably and is doing paperwork in his own, previously locked house.

Girl, are you going out?
Yeah.
Just a little walk.

Don't this kid sell you out.

I would never!
Not even for a rare and powerful sutra?
Come on, Brother Zhang over there is living proof! I would never!
Still, a powerful sutra for this doomed life of mine...
Girl. Stop it. You promised to find your own way to live.
Yes, Uncle Chi.

Right, so this is the Fancy Feast Hall, home to the mightiest heroes of Central Shu. When not fighting against the insidious forces of the NoMercy House, these champions turn their blade skills to the culinary arts, humbly serving the public against the day their cleavers must face not pork but human flesh...
Wow! I had no idea!
If the academy didn't already have reports, I'd have trouble believing you. You make it sound a lot more exciting, though.
Yeah, big brother is a great storyteller!
It's a shame they're closed for the night.
Ah! But as a junior member of the Fancy Feast Hall, I can go in anytime! Come on, I'll introduce you!

I'm not so sure I want to be introduced now. Uncle Chi alway said that alcohol is a demon, just being in the same room is making me dizzy.
Nan Xian knows all the gossip! He's been to every city in Central Shu.
Drinking up all their wine, no doubt. Get whatever gossip you can out of him and then let's get out of this stinky room.

Small talk? Good timing! Nan Xian is good at all things, and gossip is naturally one of them.
Such a simple thing, gossip, and yet it can be so profound. What a pity...
Pity about what?

What a pity that I've run out of wine. How can one chat without wine?
Ah, I know you're thinking. This is a restaurant, how can there be no wine here?
That's what I thought too, but that crafty shopkeeper Jin downstairs... how dare he! How dare he!

He said that even giving me a room for free was a waste of money, and he wouldn't let me touch a single drop of his wine!
Life is so bitter!

Uncle Chi said that people who drink wine are bad.
You have never tasted it, how would you know how delicious it is? You should try it out.

Well, if you're so troubled, why not just go out and get some?
If only it were that simple! Your aunt forbade me from leaving the premises, not even one step! Unlike you, who are so free...
Wait, that gives me an idea.
Brother Siwang, why don't you go outside and get some wine for your Brother Xu?

Huh? I'm not as free as you, why would I want to help you with your wine?
Oh, come on, don't be like that... how about I teach you one of my famous tricks in return?
Should you really be sharing the secret to your martial arts like that?

It's fine. Nine out of ten restaurants in Central Shu already have the secret to my Drunken Eight Immortal Sword, why not you?
Oh, alright then. But I'm busy, so only when I have free time, alright?

Nan Xian then starts telling Siwang all about the various wines available in-game.

There is one especially hard-to-find Old Wine, imported from the west to celebrate the Mu Clan lord's birthday, but unfortunately lost in a shipwreck. Luckily for Nan Xian, Siwang has already found the shipwreck, east of Banana Island, and has a ton of alcohol on him at all times due to fighting bandits.

Nan Xian also has a modded sutra on him, the Drunken Eight Immortals Fist. It's a little weird, I don't think the game actually has an Intoxication debuff. Maybe it's something that got modded in?

Giving Nan Xian all the wine he wants rewards Siwang with his sword technique.

Drunken Eight Immortal Sword: "The famous Drunken Eight Immortals was originally a fist style, but Nan Xian thought of a wonderful way to adapt it. Using the hilt, blade, and tip to simulate all kinds of weird fists, the art is transformed into swordsmanship, making it even more unpredictable and powerful."

Are you going to cultivate that sword technique, Siwang?
Who, me? Oh no, it's just for the collection. I'm terrible at using a sword.
Good. Uncle Chi said only bad people drink alcohol. And... I don't want you to become a bad guy.
Henceforth never a drop shall pass my lips.

Unsurprisingly, Yan Yushu doesn't like it if you try to feed her alcohol. She does like candied hawthorn, though.

Well, here we are! The night market at Dayan Town!
It's... very loud. Don't these people have to go to sleep?
Not with a night market around! Look, there's buns, and roast pork, and candied hawthorns...
Candied hawthorn? I miss it so much, when I was little my mother would sometimes go to the market and buy me these without telling the people at the palace...
You can have as much as you want. It's on me.
Thank you.
Where shall we go next, Brother Siwang?
Hmmm... I still need to find the He Clan patriarch, Big Pot Head, and ask him about the Book of Heaven. He Yuqing was looking for him in the north, near the Eagle Hunter Colony.
Ugh, that annoying girl. It's too cold for me up there, I'll pass.
Oh man, I thought you liked me.
Not enough to deal with a spoiled princess like her, rear end in a top hat. And besides, I should be getting home soon...
Then we should enjoy the night market here while we can.
You said it, sister!

Just north of the Eagle Hunter Colony, He Yuqing is examining the site of a recent bandit attack on a caravan being escorted by the He Family Horse Gang.

The blood is still wet, they must be still around. Well? Go chase them!
Huh? Why me?

Don't be so grumpy, big brother. Miss Yuqing is distraught over the loss of her family's caravan.
Look, I don't mind hunting bandits, but normally people offer some kind of reward instead of ordering me around like a servant.
She does strike me as the kind of lady to have many servants. I begin to see why Ziwan stayed away.
Nevertheless, Brother Siwang, we cannot ignore a cry for help from such a damsel.
What did I tell you about pretty women?
You think she's pretty?
Ahaha, oh no, of course not, look! The bandits are over there.

So lively, are we throwing a PARTY?

This dialogue is voiced, and I just want to point out that our MC is using the english word here, which is probably confusing the hell out of these bandits.

There's a way to heaven and a way to hell, and you insist on going down?
Slaughter them all!
Yeah, I've been to parties like that, sometimes you just want to kill someone, y'know?

The objective in this fight is to keep at least one caravaneer alive, which is not too difficult at this stage of development for Siwang.

Hey, who did you say you were going to kill? I didn't quite hear you.

Young Master! Watch out!
Aiyah! My mother!

This is just one of those expressions that can be a little hard to translate, but I'm sure you get the gist.

I'm feeling a little woozy...
Big brother? Big brother!

Siwang wakes up in a unfamiliar tent.

Where am I...?

Going outside, he is hailed by one of the caravaneers he saved.

Young Master, you're awake!
Where is this place? To what inexplicable era have I traveled to again?
Young Master, what nonsense are you speaking? Did you hit your head? Have you lost your mind?

Wake up from your daze, Siwang.
Big brother, are you alright?
Brother Gui, are you okay? Do you recognize me?
Oh, I remember now. You're from the He Family Horse Gang. That bandit threw something at me, and I fainted...

Yes, Young Master was knocked unconscious by the enemy's drug, and the bandit escaped. We took you here to the Eagle Hunter Colony to recuperate.

By the way, why are you travelling with our Little Yu?
She asked me to do her a favour in return for taking me to see her father, Big Pot Head He Hongyuan. This is a real whopper of a favour...
How come I haven't seen that damned snake? Where is she?

The caravaneer says that He Yuqing left for Qingtian Fortress, as she suspects the bandits are from there.

While Central Shu and the Wolf Barbarians were still at war, Li Yanxian organized a volunteer army to engage the Wolf Barbarians with guerilla warfare.
And after the war ended, he did not believe the Wolf Barbarians would remain peaceful for long.
So he set up a fortress in the mountains, to train his people and to store food and fodder.

In the past, the volunteers of Qingtian were well disciplined and never harassed the common people.
But recently, there have been many incidents of them bullying the innocent and even robbing them of their lives.

The caravaneer begs Siwang to go and help He Yuqing.

Alas, such a delicate girl like Little Yu, if she is caught by those wolf-like villains, such a recipe for disaster!
Well, her fate is her own business, but she still hasn't told me where He Hongyuan is!

Aren't you afraid I'll be caught by those wolf-like villains too? The odds are against us!
Little Yu will definitely take you to see He Hongyuan after you help her! I guarantee it!
Ugh, this bitch... so good at finding trouble.

One upside of finally getting around to He Yuqing's quest is that her spawned event no longer overrides the native wildlife, which means Siwang can finally capture the black panther, Beast King Night Shadow.

This is Qingtian Fortress. Look at those high walls, how do I get in there and find someone?

Stop!
Young man, this is not the place for you.

(I don't know where that devil He girl could be hiding... should I force my way in?)

I'm looking for a girl surnamed He. Do you know where she is?
Coming to Qingtian to find a girl. Are you crazy about women, kid?
There must be many women in Qingtian, come on, just let me in and search them!

I just want a girl, why are you forcing me?

Siwang has actually already infiltrated Qingtian Fortress in Update 24, because dueling Qingtian mooks is a good way to raise righteousness. So he knows there's an easier way in. But the question is, is he in a mood to care? Please vote:

A - Walk in through the front door of Qingtian Fortress.
B - Infiltrate Qingtian Fortress from the back.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
A. Give their front door a bit of a workout.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

A, let's do this with style

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Xun posted:

A, let's do this with style

sandorius
Nov 13, 2013
Update 43: He Family Dispute

Listen, I just made good friends with a very hungry black panther, and if you don't let me in to look for this wayward girl I'm going to let it cut loose.
What nonsense! Stop him!
Go, Night Shadow! I choose you!

Shadow Surge, Beast King Night Shadow actually does more damage than Golden Mane, due to an extremely high Qinggong meaning less AP wasted on movement. Golden Mane's default attacks also knockback, so he has to chase his prey, but at least he has more HP. Shadow Surge is absurdly fragile.

The Qingtian guards on duty are easily mopped up by Siwang's party, and they advance into the main courtyard of Qingtian Fortress, where the vice-captain is waiting to welcome them with even more Qingtian troops.

Who might Your Excellency be? And why have you barged into my fortress?
I am here looking for a girl surnamed He, have you seen her?
I assure you there is no such girl in our fortress.

Like all main story missions, this bit is voiced. Unfortunately, it's hard to tell if vice-captain Wang Zhe is being politely sarcastic here or if he really is the type to address intruders with respect. Either way, it's hilarious.

Second Master, a few hours ago, we had reports of someone sneaking around in the fortress.
Hahaha, yes, that's the one I'm looking for! Why don't I help you guys find this sneaky girl?

Qingtian Fortress may not be the Imperial Palace, but we have our standards. We do not allow outsiders such freedom of action.

I advise you to let me search for her, otherwise, I might accidentally end up bullying Qingtian Fortress.
In that case, let us see what you can do.

Twelve angry men, plus one calm and collected vice-captain, attack Siwang.

(So many opponents, should I fight them all? Or should I focus on this Wang Zhe?)

(Let's just take them all out for the XP.)
Grrrr!
Rawr!
Arrgh!
(Whoops!)

You are yet young, but your skills are formidable. How can this be?
My bone structure is exquisite, you just don't have the eyes to see it.

What nonsense is going on here?
Nonsense? The people in your gang are afraid that bad things will happen to you after being caught by dozens of men! They begged me to save you with tears in their eyes and snot in their noses!
Bad things? Like what?
Shh, be good, it's not important.
Ahem! Is this how you treat your saviour?

A saviour? You've ruined all my plans!
If I may ask... why has my lady infiltrated my fortress?

Hmmph! I'm here to investigate whether you have kidnapped someone from the He Family Gang!
I see. You must be the daughter of the He Family Horse Gang head, Big Pot Head. He Yuqing.
Still, we have no relationship with the He Family Horse Gang, why has Miss He chosen to interfere with us? Well water should not mix with river water.

Wang Zhe is politely telling He Yuqing to mind her own business.

Well water should not mix with river water? Our merchandise has recently been robbed, and I think you're the prime suspect.
Miss He has obviously misunderstood us. We are a righteous army fighting against the barbarians, why do you think we are bandits?
Hmmph! Aren't you embarrassed to be spouting such obvious lies?

Little Yu, what are you doing here?
So you really are here!

Please forgive my ineptitude, I don't know why my daughter came to your place to cause trouble. I hope you are kind enough to ignore it for my sake. Please spare my daughter and I'll take her back home to be disciplined.
Big Pot Head is a good friend of my elder brother, so naturally Miss He is our guest in Qingtian.

However, she seems to have some slight misunderstanding of the purpose behind Qingtian Fortress. I'll leave it to you to clear it up.
Naturally. I'm sorry for any offense I may have caused.

There is some more excruciatingly polite small talk before He Hongyuan turns to leave.

Have you not caused enough trouble? Let's go!
Does Your Excellency have anything to add?
Nope. That's it.

Take care. I won't see you out.

(Is he being sarcastic or is he just like that?)
(Grrr...)
Hey, where did the two He's go?

Little Yu, what's going on?
What going's on? If you can't find out where my brother is, then I just have to find him myself!
I told you to stay out of this!
He's been missing for so long, and you still want us to ignore it? What are you thinking? I don't understand!

Why did you even come to Qingtian Fortress?
I should be asking you that!
My brother is missing and you don't look for him. Our merchandise has been robbed and you don't guard the caravans properly. What are you trying to do?

And this is a reason to infiltrate Qingtian Fortress alone? Do you think that place is your house, for you to come and play as you please?
Even if I'm playing, surely it's better than doing nothing at all.

Hey hey, are you guys done arguing? Can I just say one thing?
And who might you be, young warrior?
Some drunkard named Xu Xuke sent me to ask Big Pot Head about a matter related to an old friend of yours, Huang Shang.

I see. Well, it's not convenient to discuss the matter here. I am going back to Dayan Town, please come to the He Family Horse Gang for a detailed discussion.
Little Yu! Let's go.

... Do you know how troublesome it is to run back to Dayan Town again? If I had known all this earlier, I could have taken a nap and waited for you all to return...

Ah well. Qingtian Fortress and I must have some kind of fate together.
I'm going back in.
What? Why?
That Wang Zhe guy rubs me the wrong way. What kind of weirdo is polite to people attacking his fortress?
Some might say, a gentleman.
Oh, I'll be gentle with him alright. By which I mean I'll gently caress him up.
Miss Yan! I think you made things worse!
Oh dear.
Brother Siwang, I cannot approve of such barbarous behaviour...
Just keep things non-lethal. It's training, alright?

It's you again. Why do you keep on trespassing into Qingtian Fortress?

I just want to practice today, absolutely no personal grudges with you, please don't misunderstand.
In that case, please allow me to show you how Qingtian Fortress handles intruders.

This results in an even bigger fight than before. This time, though, Siwang takes the time to inspect his opponent before smacking him in the face, and takes note of the weapon he is wielding. Seven Star Sword: "Wang Zhe's sword is made of steel nails embedded in seven places on the face of the sword, which are cast into the pattern of the Big Dipper, making the body of the sword not easy to break."

You have braved the arrows and crossbow bolts to enter our fortress alone, just to test your own martial arts skills. I have never seen such a boldness before in my life.
Hehehe, this is nothing.
A few years ago, the Wolf Tribe launched an invasion, killing and injuring tens of thousands of people and burning down countless homes. They are still itching for a chance to invade the country, which might come at any time.
Instead of wandering the Jianghu, why not join hands with us in the fight against the foreigners, expel the Wolf Barbarians, and protect the beautiful plains and mountains of Central Shu?
...what?

Qingtian has it's flaws, but at least we are doing our part for the country and its people. I'm afraid we are not strong enough to stop the Wolf Barbarians' ambitions. But with young warrior's help, it would be like having a tiger with wings, and I would have more confidence in the fight against the foreign invaders.

You're kidding me. I break into your home, beat up all your friends, and you try to recruit me?
Of course. I have been hoping for more strong warriors like you to join us for some time now.
Aren't you afraid of me as your enemy?
Do you not defeat your enemy when you make him your friend?
Oh my, what a reserved and civilized gentleman.
Aaaargh!
Let's get out of here.
You're doing this on purpose, aren't you, Miss Yan.
Ehe.

Qingtian Fortress is now freely accessible to Siwang, although unfortunately no one other than Wang Zhe wants to duel anymore.

Big Brother! Stop standing behind Wang Zhe and eyeing that sutra sticking out of his pocket! I know what you're thinking!
And Miss Yan, do stop snickering and help me with this idiot.
Enough sulking, Siwang. I prefer wild men anyway.
... really?
Do you see me signing up with Qingtian Fortress? Let's go back to Dayan Town, all this fighting is making me yearn for a hot bath.
... together?
Don't push your luck.

I see Brother Siwang is wearing a particularly unrestrained outfit today.
It's because of what Miss Yan said yesterday. Please be more careful with your words, Miss Yan...
I like it though? Not as good as that fisherman outfit he had on last time, I must say.

Swordsman Outside the Pass: "After the righteous hero, the heart of the chivalrous man, the Hu's are as swift as foxes, the youngsters are wet with sweat."

This outfit is the reward for reaching 100 Blade skill. The description is probably some kind of poetry? I think I still prefer the Eagle Hunter outfit from 100 Hidden Weapon though.

After a good night's rest, Siwang visits the He Family Horse Gang base, only to learn that Big Pot Head is in another castle visiting the teahouse.

Poor Big Pot Head is personally apologizing to the teahouse owner for losing his shipment.

The teahouse owner is very understanding, especially since Big Pot Head is offering to reimburse him, but plans his next shipments to be escorted by the Ye Family Horse Gang.

Conveniently, both the Ye uncle and nephew are here to gloat a little over the He Family Horse Gang's loss of business.

Uncle He, your horse clan has been failing a lot recently, perhaps it's because you've grown too big and your men are overworked? It's a good thing the Ye Family Horse Gang is here to pick up the load. Maybe there's more business we can help you with?
I will take care of our own men, there is no need for little nephew to worry.

After some further verbal sniping, Ye Yulong apologizes to Big Pot Head for any offence he might have caused, and the business meeting dissolves.

Siwang takes this as a chance to come in, but is intercepted by He Yuqing. Big Pot Head greets them both but says he is headed back home.

This guy is really annoying me!
It's almost as if he doesn't want to talk to you about Huang Shang.
Perhaps Brother Siwang is bringing up painful memories of war...
Well, I've got painful memories of being dragged into all kinds of trouble by his daughter "Little Yu". I'm owed at least a little payback.
On second thoughts, payback can wait. That Ye Yulong guy is looking at me funny, does he want to get beaten up again?

Kid, you've been following the rear end of that girl from the He family, don't you think that makes you unmanly?
Are you asking to get beaten up?
Unfortunately, I'm on duty today, so I don't have the time to get too familiar with you. I'll give you one piece of advice. Any girl Ye Yulong likes will always fall in love with him, so don't waste your time with her.

You know what, I wish you luck. You two deserve each other.
What?
It's just... do you even have the skill to win the fights she'll inevitably drag you into?
Insolence! Draw your sword!
Oh, I don't use swords. Thor's Hammer here is much better.
Ow!

Well, that was a refreshing fight. Made me hungry, though.
Young master! Please take this food!
Bu Seishou! You opened your food stall!
Yes, young master, please enjoy my Juyi Rice and Strange Chicken!

You know, I'm so full I can't even muster up the energy to steal Big Pot Head's sutras.
Praise the Moon Goddess. You'll have to remember that, Miss Yan, it's easier to manage Big Brother if you keep him well fed.
I... shall do my best for as long as I can.

The Hu Family Blade Art sutra has only one technique, but with improved critical hits as a passive. It's a modded technique, though, so I probably won't ever learn it. In fact, I don't even bother to steal it because I don't want Siwang to take the hit to his righteousness.

Siwang also picks up some new clothing while poking around the building. He Family Horse Gang Costume: "The He Family Horse Gang's costumes are designed with the right sleeve removed, allowing clan members to be more flexible in handling horses."

After having been given the runaround twice, Siwang is in no mood for idle chitchat, and comes straight to the point, asking for Huang Shang's whereabouts.

Big Pot Head is perfectly aware that Siwang is looking for the River Map and the Book of Heaven, and denies knowing anything about these two artifacts or Huang Shang.

There's nothing Siwang can do now to make Big Pot Head open up, so he bids farewell to Big Pot Head and leaves.

Conveniently, he is ambushed outside by He Yuqing.

She wants Siwang's help. Again. At the teahouse, she saw one of the Ye Family Horse Gang with an upper arm wound, and she remembers giving that same wound to one of the bandits they fought near the Eagle Hunter Settlement.

All Siwang has to do is to let her join, and interrogate the suspect together while he is alone.

He Yuqing is a Rigid Blade user and comes with the Broken Mountain Blade sutra. "Cutting Through Thorns and Thistles" is pretty ordinary, damage wise, but can clear debuffs as a passive.

Since He Yuqing is pretty late to the party, she has a ton of unallocated talent points. Nobody else in the party has had high investment into Rigid, so she fills the tree out. It tends to be all about DPS and overwhelming strikes, especially the signature talent "Lion Fights Rabbit", which buffs all techniques that cost more than 5 AP.

Oddly enough, He Yuqing does not come with a signature weapon of her own. Luckily Siwang is toting around nearly fifty or so rare weapons, and promptly equips her with the Blood Blade and also Cold Moon, Flowing Light.

She also hates sweets and takes great offense at being fed tofu pudding.

How can you not like tofu pudding?
Tofu pudding is for kids.
He Yuqing, if you make my little sister cry, I'll take away that weapon I lent to you.
I'm sorry, ok? The guys in the horse gang used to try and baby me, I hated it.
It's fine. I guess nasty and bitter people can't appreciate sweet things.
Oh dear.
Are you quite sure this is going to work out, Brother Siwang?
It'll be fine. We can be adults about this, right?
As long as you help me find and save my brother, I don't care what you think of me.

We all have different tastes, Ning'er, you can't expect everyone to like the stuff you do.
Here, Yuqing, have a hambaba. No hard feelings.
Wow, this is great!

The Ye Family goons will only show up at the night market in the evening, so in the meantime, Siwang takes a short trip northwest to make friends with the last Beast King, Snow Shadow.

The White Horse Residence is the closest available fast travel back to Dayan Town, and while he's there, he chitchats a little with the two little girls who used to accompany Ximen Yutang, Grandpa Fox Fairy. One of them is not adapting well to sedentary agriculture.

Why the hell do you keep growing carrots, I don't like them... I don't like carrots, I'm going to get angry!

As night falls, Siwang returns to Dayan Town and easily spots the poor Ye Family henchman with the bandaged right arm.

He appears to be having some kind of "are we the bad guys?" existential crisis. The other two minions laugh at him and leave him to brood a little on his own.

Hey, you. Think to something to get that guy alone.
What? Why me?
I can't think of anything. You look the clever sort, you figure it out.

Naturally Siwang solves the problem with alcohol (the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems).

Unfortunately the henchman has a discerning palate and will reject Old Jimo (too bitter), Xiling Spring (too spicy), monkey wine (never heard of it) or mixed grain wine (too strong).

Haha, Dunkin' Donuts is sweet and refreshing, perfect for relieving your worries. Come on, I'm your drinking buddy, let's have a few drinks together, hahaha!

This is a translation error too hilarious not to transcribe. He is actually talking about Dukang wine.

They finish the jar of wine together and Siwang lures him out of town by telling him he has another jar stashed away at his home.

How much longer do we have to walk?
We're almost there, don't worry.
Hey, brother, who is this? Did you find a pretty girl to drink with?

Open your eyes wide and look carefully. Who do you think this pretty girl is?
You... you're He Yuqing of the He Family Horse Gang!

He Yuqing interrogates the Ye Family henchman and accuses him of participating in the raid on the He Family-escorted caravan.

The poor man is on the verge of admitting it when suddenly a sword flies in from offscreen and impales him through the heart.

Oh my, little niece, I knew you were bold, but I could never have guessed that you were hiding some brains under those looks.
You're too kind, Uncle Ye.
Isn't it dangerous for a girl to be wandering around in the middle of the night? What if something bad were to happen?
I'm sure it would be none of Uncle Ye's business.
Ah, but Brother He has already lost his only son, what a blow it would be if he lost his adopted daughter too...

Ye Jinhong! You despicable man! What have you done to my brother? How dare you use such tactics to steal our business?
Despicable? Not just that, but ruthless as well!

Father!
Enough talk, Yulong. This lass here will only bring you disaster, best to cut her off today.

Excuse me, am I also included in this kill bill?
If you don't want to be silenced, then draw your weapon!

Ugh! How can you drag people underwater into your own troubles with such a straight face?
Complain later, if we survive!

Hmph. Niece, it's finally time to see which is better, your family's Green Heaven Sword or our own Long Rainbow Sword!

Oi, you.
Hi! Are you talking to me?
From their stance, it seems that they're using the Ye Family's unique skill, the Flying Rainbow Sword Formation.
The Flying Rainbow Sword Formation!
What's that, is it great?
I've never encountered it myself, but it's supposed to be very difficult to deal with.
Any ideas?
Well, as the saying goes, cut the head off the snake, as long as we deal with the anchor of the formation, then it should collapse.

Ye Jinhong is in fact being buffed multiple times by his companions, but is no match at all for Siwang's party and collapses under a single round of focus fire.

Stop!
Brother Ye, if I have offended your gang, please bring your complaints to me. But to target my daughter and bully her in the darkness, if this gets out, it won't be good for your gang's reputation.

Bully? This vicious bandit tried to kill me!
Hmph, stop your prattle, silly girl. I just couldn't stand your nonsense and thought to punish you a little.
You ruined our business with your dirty tricks, and then killed your own gang member to silence them! You talk a big deal but can't back it up!
Ye Jinhong, is this true? Are you responsible for the recent robberies of our merchandise?
Where are you hiding my brother? Tell me the truth!

Where is your brother? You should be asking your father! Why are you asking me?
You still dare to deny it? The caravan led by my brother disappeared with all its men and horses, not even a shadow to be found. You must have taken the merchandise, where is it? Where did you take my brother?

Foolish niece, have you never heard of mountain demons?
No, I haven't.
Hahaha! Then ask your father! Say to him, "With Green Heaven Sword at hand, no road is too difficult"! Ask him why the head of the biggest horse gang in Central Shu is cowering in fear of the Mountain Demon King, not even daring to save his son!

Ye Jinhong is talking about "山魈", which just happens to also translate to mandrill.

Father? What's going on?
Little Yu. We can discuss this later.
Who is this Mountain Demon King? Where's my brother? Did you know his location all along?

Hmph, of course he knew. It's just a pity he judged the opponent was too strong, and lacked the guts to save his son.
It's a long story, Little Yu. We should go back first.
Who did it? Who are they? Tell me! If you don't dare save them, I'll do it myself!
It's not that simple, Little Yu. Come back with me first, it's a long story.
Long story? Isn't a month long enough? I won't waste any more time, if you won't tell me, I'll find out myself.
You know nothing of what you face! Do you want to die in vain?

I'd rather die in vain than abandon my family like you.
Stop! I won't let you!
Just try and stop me.

Come back with me immediately. Don't make me do this.
Hey you, I'm going to fight with my dad. He's a great swordsman, do you want to help?

Uhh...
A - I do think I would like to test the Green Heaven Sword of the renowned Big Pot Head.
B - This is your family business. I'm not too keen to interfere.

Please vote A to help He Yuqing, or B to stand aside.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
A. Pots are for breaking.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

(Dany shits in a field)
A, of course

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013
A, no question.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

BraveLittleToaster posted:

A. Pots are for breaking.

sandorius
Nov 13, 2013
Update 44: Broken Pot

I do think I would like to test the Green Heaven Sword of the renowned Big Pot Head.

Defend yourself!

Big Pot Head has pretty great stats and is also carrying a unique yellow-rarity blade: Tiifu. "The famous weapon of He Hongyuan, all the bandits in the Sichuan area are terrified at the sight of this sword."

Snow Shadow isn't a bandit and can only differentiate between "things to be bitten" and "rocks".

This is our family matter, why are you interfering to this extent?
This Gui Siwang never does things halfway!
Then don't blame me for not holding back!

Eventually, He Hongyuan falls to the Blood Blade of He Yuqing.

If you are unable to save my brother, then I will do it!

Ugh... do as you will..
All right, let's go.

Go? Go where?
To find these mountain demons and their ghost king, of course! And then to rescue my brother.
I suddenly feel as if I have other things to do.

Don't dither like that, what could be more important than helping a young man who has stranded for a month to return home?
For example, helping a young man who has been stranded for twenty-two years to return home?
I don't know what you're talking about. Come on, let's go find out what these mountain demons are all about.

Talking to this random noodle-enjoyer produces the following nugget of information.

Legend has it that in the Changbai, Yandang, Taihang mountains, people have seen demons appearing. These monsters have a face the color of an old melon, glittering eyes, big bloody mouths, teeth three inches long and sparse, and when their tongues move and their throats chirp, the sound of yelping resounds throughout the valley.

The most dreadful thing, though, is that whenever anyone hears these "ghost mandrills", the next day, a great disaster will befall. Someone is bound to have disappeared.
Be the victim a martials arts elder, a rich merchant, high official or rogue bandit, none ever return. Sometimes only one, sometimes dozens at a time...

Some believe that these "ghost mandrills" are man-eating demons, others that they are a secretive organization of killers. Of course, there are more who dismiss these rumours as fanciful legends.

"Ghost mandrills"... so my brother's disappearance was due to these demons? But why would they want to target our He Family Horse Gang?

Well, with someone like you in the gang, it's no surprise they would take offence.
Shut up! No one knows the mountains around here better than the eagle hunters to the west, let's go ask them.

The eagle hunters helpfully point He Yuqing to a patch of mountainside just under the White Horse Residence.

The Ghost Mandrill Cave is located halfway up the mountain and can be surprisingly hard to spot.

This cave is full of miasma...
It must be the nest of these Ghost Mandrills, let's go in.

Eh? Eh? A living person? Hot blood? Eheheh!
What the hell?
Are you the ghost mandrills? Where is my brother? Give him back!

Combat begins as Siwang and He Yuqing assaults what looks like the living quarters of five Ghost Mandrills.

Each individual Ghost Mandrill is badly outleveled, but have an incredibly annoying dodge rate and also all of their techniques are teleporting backstabs.

Still, they pose little challenge to Siwang, and rooting around the campsite produces a nice little wooden box with the Demon Claws of Mandrill sutra inside.

Now Siwang can learn the teleporting backstabs for himself. As gimmicks go, it's a good one.

There are a few more unremarkable fights further inside the cave. In a small niche off to the side, Siwang finds a demon mandrill costume and an interactable named "Human Chest Skin".

Big brother, are you seriously going to keep that?
It's not like the owner is going to need it anymore. Look, his head's off.
It's a shame, though. Human skin is actually a remarkably poor medium for ink.
And how would you know that, Miss Yan?
Evil martial practitioners are all so unimaginative, they always tend towards the same outrageous stunts. No eye for practicality at all.

The Nine Yin Manual is a modded sutra with an Inner Working buffing special moves. +20% chance to combo/blast/false attack per attack, just on the base technique? Very nice.

Eheheh! A living person!
Let him become a dead man! Eheheh!

This Ghost Mandrill is ripping a hole into reality, tumbling out of it in a cloud of smoke, and slashing Inky for about 300 damage. It's actually kind of funny.

With the distractions out of the way, Siwang finds He Yuqing's brother, He Yinren, slumped over next to the back wall of the cave.

It's been a month, how is this guy not dead?
That is a very good question. All the other He Family Horse Gang members we found were long dead.
He was surely under Taishang Laojun's protection.
I don't know, there must be something more to it... let's get him out of here first.

He Yinren is badly injured and He Yuqing brings him back to the White Horse Residence to recover.

Little Yu...
Brother, you're awake! Lie still, you have a lot of internal injuries.
Hurry... go back... our father is in danger...

What? Why?
The Demon King... of the Ghost Mandrills... he abducted me to force father to tell him the whereabouts of Huang Shang... my rescue... he'll look for father directly now...
Don't worry about dad, these demons are no match for him.
You don't understand... how fearsome the Ghost Mandrill Demon King is... go back... get him to flee with everyone in the gang...

But your condition...
Go back! Get the gang away, leave me!

Alas, He Yuqing is too slow. The He Family Horse Gang building is deserted except for a few bodies stashed away out of sight.

Uncle In, what's going on?
Little Yu... run...

In the backyard, He Hongyuan is being confronted by the Ghost Mandrill Demon King himself.

Massively impractical headgear, yep, that's a king alright.
If I were the leader of an evil organization, I would get someone else to wear the big hat and lurk in the background somewhere instead.
Haha, yes! That's my girl!
Miss Yan, I suggest we attack before Siwang corrupts Ning'er any further.
Wait, I think Yuqing wants to say something.

Where is Huang Shang?
Cough... hehehe... how about that, to come directly to me, you must have finally run out of tricks, eh?
I ask you again. Where is Huang Shang?
Father!

Little Yu? Don't come any closer, go!
This must be your adopted daughter.
Ha, you monster! Come taste my blade!

Leave me! I told you to go!
Far too late.

Combat begins, and the Demon Mandrill Ghost King stabs, in quick succession, He Hongyuan, Golden Mane, and Yan Yushu. This barely tickles Golden Mane, but seriously injures the other two.

Unfortunately for him, he soon finds out that hitting Yan Yushu is a good way to piss off Siwang, and gets taken out by a 5k crit from the pen and ink technique Uncle Chi taught him.

Hmmph, demon, still haven't figured out that you've met your match?
I will find Huang Shang!

The Ghost King then teleports away.

Dad, are you alright? Dad!
These wounds look worse than your brother's...

Don't... don't mind me... get to Qingtian Fortress... find Master Li... tell him the Ghost King is looking for Huang Shang... warn him to be careful...
Master Li? Who is Master Li?
Back then... we saved Commander Huang from the devils... he had been kidnapped by them...
But their master... he is extremely powerful... in order to force me to reveal Huang Shang's whereabouts... he kidnapped Yinren...

I was afraid that if you knew the truth... you would go chasing after the Ghost Mandrills... but I never expected... you would find out the truth by yourself... you were always a stubborn child...
Stop talking, Dad! I'll find a doctor to help you with your wounds!

No... I'm not going to make it... take this... for Master Li...
What is this?
A fragment of the Book of Heaven... it controls the fate of the world... don't let it fall into the wrong hands...
Ha! I knew you had a piece on you!
Little Yu... the Green Heaven Sword... this weapon... and the He Family Horse Gang... I leave them all to you.

Stop talking nonsense, Dad! I rescued my brother, when you get well, we'll be reunited again!
Good girl... adopting you was the best thing I ever did... get along with your brother... don't be naughty...
Naughty? When have I ever been naughty... don't say that, Dad, you'll be fine...

Darling... it's time to meet you again... I fulfilled my promise, didn't I? The children are grown up now... don't blame me for coming late...
Dad... Dad!

Little Yu... what are you going to do next?
Dad asked me to go to Qingtian Fortress and warn their master, Li Yanxian, that the Ghost Mandrill Demon King is coming for Huang Shang.
And after that?

Then find the Demon King and kill him to avenge my father's death.
I knew you would say something like that.
Are you planning to stop me?
The Demon King is so powerful, even Dad was no match for him. I'm worried for you...
Worry about your own injuries first. I will avenge Dad, the matters of the He Family Horse Gang need your attention.
Ugh, ever since we were children, you've always done your own thing, and I was never able to stop you.
Hey, you.
I'm going to Qingtian Fortress. Are you coming?

He Yuqing has inherited He Hongyuan's weapon, as well as the Green Heaven Sword sutra.

I do have a small request before we go back to Qingtian Fortress.
Why, what is it?
Well, not to be insensitive, but your father gave Siwang a fragment of the Book of Heaven before he passed away.
Yeah?
And the other fragment Siwang has, was given to him by He Ziwan's sister just before she passed away.
I think I begin to see your concern, Miss Yan.
Yes, I would like to check in on Uncle Chi and make sure he's alright.
Look, this is just stuff that happens in the Jianghu, alright? I don't make the rules.
Does your Uncle Chi have a fragment of the Book of Heaven too?
I hope not.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Things are mildly warming up in the plot! Siwang's adventures are always taking interesting turns.

sandorius
Nov 13, 2013
Update 45: Frost Haired Rakshasa

Sorry for the long pause, everyone! My laptop fell prey to the dreaded LP curse and started making whirring clicky noises as well as randomly dismounting my D:\ drive. Luckily I was able to dig into my savings for a new PC, for a certain value of new (3070 is new, right?), and my laptop held up long enough for me to transfer the LP files. Although now it seems Rightload has stopped working for lpix.org as well? Ugh.

Your Uncle Chi didn't seem too happy to see me.
He's just like that sometimes. He gave you his secret martial arts sutra, didn't he? That means he likes you.
Indeed, the hospitality of Fuxian Academy was truly exquisite.
That was more the head maid than Uncle Chi, I think.
Can we cut the crap and get on with warning Qingtian Fortress about the Demon King? We've wasted too much time already, they could all be dead by now!

It's quiet... too quiet.
I don't remember taking out that many Qingtian members?

What's going on? Why is nobody here? Has Qingtian moved?
Something's wrong! There's a man down over there, let's go take a look.

What's going on here? Where's your Boss Li?
Please... help second fortress master... I beg you...

He's fainted.
Looks like they were attacked by a strong enemy. It might be the Ghost Mandrill Demon King, quick, let's go in!

Where is the Ghost Mandrill Demon King? Are you under attack?
Huh? Who are you guys?
What demon king, what nonsense are you talking about?

By order of the boss, anyone who comes near this prison will be killed on sight!
Are you kidding me?

Hey, aren't you guys from Qingtian? Why are you locked up here?
Hmmph! Are you dogs of Zhang Yinfei finally here to kill us? It doesn't matter how you cut or slice, we will never give in!
Who even is Zhang Yinfei? We're here to see your fortress master Li Yanxian, what on earth is happening?
How did you even get in here, then? Zhang Yinfei's lackeys are on guard outside.

I recognize her! She's the daughter of the He Family Horse Gang boss! And that guy...he's... he's her henchman, I think?
You're the henchman!
Stop getting sidetracked! What happened here?
Zhang Yinfei, that son of a thousand swords, colluded with outsiders and betrayed Qingtian Fortress while Master Li was away! He intends to usurp the position of Master with his men!

What men? Except for those few collapsed fellows guarding the prison, the entire Qingtian Fortress is empty. I thought the whole family had moved out.
Good! That means the second master must have escaped, and Zhang Yinfei brought his men outside to chase him! Hurry, please go and save second master Wang Zhe!

Who is this Zhang Yinfei anyway?
That bandit! He used to be a famous general, but after the current emperor ascended the throne, he fell into disfavour and was sent into exile.
It was then that he met our Master Li Yanxian. Master Li appreciated his intelligence and martial skill, and so took him into Qingtian. During the recent confrontation with the Wolf Barbarians, he distinguished himself, and so Master Li promoted him to third seat.
I never would have thought this man would be so ungrateful that he would take advantage of Master Li's absence to revolt! He's nothing but a rotten pirate and an undisciplined bandit!

Where is Master Li?
Our master left on a business trip a few months ago, and hasn't been back since. No one knows where he went.
Please, enough talk. Our second master was injured in the fighting, he can't have run far. With his men, Zhang Yinfei is sure to find him eventually. Please, go and save the second master! Don't worry about us, we won't die yet!

Second master... you mean that Wang Zhe guy? He seemed to be on good terms with Dad, let's go help him.

Could you stop making decisions for me like that?
Why? I'm clearly making better ones than you. Don't tell me you want to side with Zhang Yinfei.
Big brother...
Brother Siwang, this is clearly the righteous thing to do.
Oh fine, if you all insist. It's going to get us into more trouble, though.

Gee, there's no need to make such a big show of welcoming me.

What did I tell you!?

There's no need to be like that, Brother Siwang. You handled those guards well. These ruffians are hardly a match for us, in terms of skill.
Their intelligence is lacking, as well. Look at how easily fooled they are by a simple disguise.
Yes, He Yuqing's bandit disguise is especially convincing. Must be her inner tyrant showing through.
Are you asking to get your rear end kicked?
Ouch! I'm just telling the truth, if you don't like it, take it out on those Qingtian bandits, not me!

Who goes there?
Uh... hi! What are you guys doing?
By order of the boss, any unknown wanderers will be regarded as accomplices of Wang Zhe and killed without mercy!
I'm just trying to hold a conversation! Why does it have to be a fight?

Eventually, Siwang gets tired of bullying the Qingtian rebels, and manages to find Wang Zhe hiding behind a tree on a western plateau. Poor guy, he's injured enough that he has to rely on his sword to prop him up.

You guys? Cough... what are you doing here?
We came looking for Master Li, but found an uprising in your fortress instead.
We found some of your brothers, who had been arrested and imprisoned. They begged us to find and help you.

How are my brethren?
The arrested ones were alive, at least. But there were more, fallen to the ground.

I'm incompetent... cough... I have wasted the lives of my brothers, betrayed their trust in me... cough cough...
You can blame yourself all you want later! Let's get out of here first!

Hahaha! Dream on! You won't leave this place alive.

Zhang Yinfei, you ungrateful son of a bitch... my elder brother was so kind as to take you in, and this is how you repay him? Cough!
Oh no, Wang Zhe. I think you'll find that the person who betrayed Qingtian Fortress was in fact, you! What a mess you've left for your younger brother to clean up. Tsk tsk.
Shameless traitor! Hrrk!
No more useless talk! Brothers, let's tear this traitor's body to pieces and avenge our brothers' deaths!

Oi, you. Why are you just standing there?
Well, we don't quite know who's in the right and who's in the wrong here...
This guy was friends with my dad, he can't have been a bad guy.
Oh. Alright, then.

As befitting a general, Zhang Yinfei has strategically occupied the high ground. Unfortunately, none of his military training appears to have taught him how to count.

He has an intimidating iron mask and dual-wields two anti-armour maces, but is no match for the concentrated stabbiness of Siwang's party.

I don't think he got a "run away!" dialog here so he may actually be dead. Strong mid-boss vibes, here.

Fight over, a badly injured Wang Zhe begs Siwang to take him to the home of his friend, Ma Congyi, in Wolong Village.

The guard is not too happy to see a bunch of bloodstained vagabonds turn up on his master's doorstep, but luckily the butler recognizes Wang Zhe.

Ma Congyi calls in a doctor who says Wang Zhe might hope to recover in a year and a half of concentrated bed rest.

No... Qingtian Fortress... the Wolf Barbarians...
Brother Wang, you're not even able to walk, why worry about these things? Take care of your injuries and return to the frontlines when you are fit again.

Brother Gui, Miss He, you have saved my life, and I have not thanked you properly.
Oh, don't thank me, I save people's lives everyday anyway.

I can never repay my debt to you, but it seems I must ask you for even more. The survival of Qingtian fortress is at stake.

My elder brother has been missing for several months and his fate are unknown. But a few days ago, I received a message from my sister, Bailu Shuang, saying she had heard my elder brother had appeared in Wolong Village.
Bailu Shuang? I've never heard of such a person in Qingtian Fortress.
My sworn sister made many enemies in her past, so after being recruited by my elder sworn brother, Li Yanxian, she rarely showed her face, to avoid causing trouble to Qingtian.
She's a loner, in her early thirties and with white hair. She shouldn't be hard to recognize.

She is a kung fu master and has a lot of experience in the Jianghu... with her help, there is still a chance to find my elder brother and reclaim Qingtian Fortress...
So all we have to do is to find her and bring her to you?
Yes... I am ashamed to ask for your help again and again.

It's nothing. My father would have been happy to help.
Let's go.
Hey, I didn't promise to help!
Take this tiger talisman with you, as a token of my trust.
(Ugh, looks like I'm doing all the work again.)

So I have to find Bailu Shuang, in order to find Li Yanxian, in the faint hope that he's going to tell me where Huang Shang is. With my luck, Huang Shang is going to ask me to do a triple backflip before telling me where the Book of Heaven is.
With your cultivation now, I think you could, Siwang.
That's not the point. The point is...
The point is that we will be doing the right thing.
Come on, big brother, don't be such a grump.
Oh, alright. Hey kid, you seen a white haired woman around?

No! My brother has been lying a lot lately about seeing a female ghost though. Wow! I caught a big bug!

Excuse me, granny, have you seen a white-haired woman around?
Eh? Young man, my ears are going bad, go find someone else to talk to.

Kid! Have you seen a white-haired woman around?
Oh yes! I see her everyday, even if I don't want to.
Great! Where is she?
She's right here, look, my granny has white hair.

I. Am. Going. To. Kick. That. Kid's. rear end.
Oh, come on, Siwang. As if you wouldn't have said the same thing if you were the one being asked.
Why don't you take a bit of a break and let me do the questioning for a while. Hello, little child! Have you seen a white-haired woman in her early thirties?
Arrrgh! Another ghost! Help! Help!

The female ghost has appeared again! How awful!
Little brother, please clarify.
The broken temple in the southwest is haunted, she appears late at night everyday!

Ning'er, don't take it to heart. He's just not used to strangers.
Yeah, a village bumpkin like him doesn't know anything! Look at how fine this temple is, doesn't the architecture sooth your soul? He's probably only been to one temple in his whole life, unlike you! You've been to dozens!
No, he's been to at least two. This is the wrong temple, Siwang.
Really? How can you tell?
Does this temple look broken to you?
Whoops.
Why does this place need so many temples anyway?
I suppose people feel the need to pray to the gods more, what with people like Siwang running around.
Hey! I only thought about kicking that kid's rear end, I didn't actually do it!
See? A miracle.

Oh, so this is the haunted, broken temple, huh?
This temple isn't really haunted, is it?
Hey! What's wrong? Scared?
Shut up...

Siwang enters the temple and contemplates the general state of disrepair within, unawares that right behind him...

Just an ordinary broken temple, why would there be a white-haired ghost here? Was the boy just making things up?

*whoosh*

Arrgh! Who the!?

Wahhh! There really is a ghost!

For what purpose have you been spying outside my house for so long?
What? I just got here!
I see. Indeed, it was not you.

From your appearance, you must be Bailu Shuang? Your sworn brother asked me to look for you, Qingtian Fortress is in danger!
We can talk later. For now, there are other people behind us.
As expected of the famous Frost Haired Rakshasa, it is indeed no easy task to avoid your senses.
Bailu Shuang is the Frost Haired Rakshasa?

Bailu Shuang, you've been in hiding for years, but now you're back, what is your motive?
Who? Ah, the third rate disciples of the Qingcheng Monastery.
I have never wronged those of your faction though?

Bailu Shuang! You've killed so many innocent people in the past, with no regard for right or wrong! That alone makes you a criminal to be eliminated!
When we heard you had returned, we immediately set out to track you down, so as to prevent you from bringing trouble to innocent folk!
You are welcome to try.

Hold on, hold on! Brother Tan, Brother Hong! As far as I know, Lady Bailu has joined Qingtian Fortress and has renounced her evil ways.

Listen, Qingtian Fortress has been taken over by criminals, and the second master, Wang Zhe, was only able to escape with grave wounds.
We are trying to help him reclaim Qingtian Fortress, and we need Lady Bailu's help.
Well, if Brother Zhang guarantees it...
We have other tasks to perform, so we shall take our leave. Take care, Brother Zhang.
Take care as well, brothers and sisters.

This came as a pleasant surprise, because the first time I did this quest I hadn't been to Qingcheng Monastery yet so I had to fight these guys.

And? What's your story?
Um... I'm here to tell you that Zhang Yinfei has turned against Qingtian Fortress. He has seized control and Wang Zhe was heavily wounded in the fighting. He is hiding in Wolong Village to recover, come with me to see him.
Who are you? What proof do you have for what you just said?
Well, I was sort of accidentally caught up in the fighting... as for proof, here is your brother's tiger talisman.

Hold on. There's still someone else behind the temple.
More people!?

Don't attack! I'm not your enemy!
My name is Cui Er, and Lord Li Yanxian has been a great benefactor to me. Ever since he fled to Wolong Village, I have been taking care of him and running errands for him.
Wolong Village?
Yes, he was ambushed by criminals, and seriously injured, hence he could not return to Qingtian Fortress.
I have a proof of loyalty as well. Here is the tiger talisman that he entrusted to me, saying that even were he to perish, he would not let it fall into the wrong hands.
And your business here?

Master Li knew that Lady Bailu would follow the markings he left and find his way here, but this is the end of the trail he left.
He asked me to come here from time to time and keep an eye out for a white-haired heroine. He asked me to give her a message.
Master Li is planning to return to Qingtian under cover of night. I meet him every night at Wuhou Temple at nine o'clock, if you want to see him, why don't you come with me?
If that's the case, then I'll see you there.

Wow, a clue dropped into your lap without even looking for it. Isn't it great?
Not really.
Brrr! So cold!
Do you really believe everyone you meet?

The markings I followed were made by Li Yanxian. He was indeed here. That much is true.
But that beggar might not have been telling the whole truth. His manner of speech was not that of an ordinary beggar.

Didn't he show Master Li's half of the tiger talisman? Just like I showed you Wang Zhe's half?
I don't trust you either.
(... this woman is really annoying.)

We'll have to search this lovely temple, inside and out.

This triggers a small puzzle in which Siwang climbs all over the temple looking for clues and Bailu Shuang stands there looking pretty.

Siwang successfully finds all three available clues ("Meeting", "Waterway" and "East"), and Bailu Shuang gives him a small reward.

You're a good kid, meticulous and neat.
I have something here that I can't use myself, and ordinary people can't master it. You're quite clever, so why don't you have it?
I once met a rival who practiced Yin cold evil kung fu, and fought for half a day, using all the weapons I had at hand. In the end, I used a silver hairpin to kill her.
The hairpin pierced her heart, and was forever tainted with her poisonous blood, radiating cold from three feet away.
If used properly, it can work wonders to repel the enemy, if not, it can be self-defeating. Keep it.

A silver hairpin? Isn't that for girls, why give it to me... wait, you stabbed someone through the heart with this?
Let us go to Wang Zhe. I will follow you there.

Cold Blood Silver Hairpin: When attacking, add 5 points of poisoning and 3 points of freezing to the target; reduce your own blood and internal energy by 5% and 3% per round.

This woman... it's the legendary Frost Haired Rakshasa!

Brother Gui, Miss He, thank you very much.
You're welcome. We were more than willing to help.
(We? You're the only one who volunteered!)
Brother Wang, you look much better already, how is your injury?

Wang Zhe launches into a long story in which he had a dream of a mysterious Taoist priest.

"Second Uncle" recited poetry at Wang Zhe and healed him, and left him a book of internal secrets.

Lo and behold, when Wang Zhe woke up, the book was on the table beside him.

But enough gossip. My sworn sister has told me about your encounters at the broken temple. Did you find any clues?

We searched the ruined temple thoroughly and found three clues. "East", "Waterway", and "Meeting".

Using his astounding grasp of basic geography, Wang Zhe deduces that Li Yanxian was going to meet someone at Storm Cloud Crossing to the east.

I could have figured that out myself.
You just brought us to a fully functional temple in the east when that kid clearly told us the ghost was in a ruined temple to the southeast.
It was a nice temple! I just wanted to check it out.
I'm surprised Siwang enjoys visiting temples so much.
He offered to bring me to one the first time I left my hometown. He won't shut up about the time he found a spear on the rooftop of one, too.
You... you looted a temple, Brother Siwang?
No! It was an abandoned temple, I was practically cleaning it up! I think I still have it somewhere in my backpack, actually...
Concentrate on the task at hand, Siwang. We can admire your gigantic spear later.

The beggar Cui Er is extremely suspicious, his words do not match up with these clues at all...
But how could he have gotten hold of Master Li's tiger talisman?
What could his intentions be...?
Intentions? Just ask him directly.

Frost.. Lady Bailu, this meeting is clearly a trap!
So? If he is connected to Master Li somehow, how can we let him go so easily?
And besides, he has the tiger talisman half, shouldn't we get it back?

Bailu Shuang then leaves for Wuhou Temple, and Wang Zhe asks Siwang to help her out. With her gone, Wang Zhe's friend breathes a sigh of relief.

Is this Frost Haired Rakshasa really so famous? Why has everyone heard of her?
How come you don't know of the Frost Haired Rakshasa? She's a notorious witch!

Wang Zhe explains that Bailu Shuang can be a little extreme, but is a good-natured person at heart. She may have deserved her reputation, but ever since meeting Li Yanxian, she had reformed her ways and saved countless people from the Wolf Barbarians.

Oh my god, she killed Cui Er! Absolutely massacred him! Look at all that blood!
Wait... that's not Cui Er. It's an entirely different old beggar.
I can't believe it... how could Wang Zhe's sworn sister do this?
Look at all that blood... actually, if she can kill people by poking them through the heart with a hairpin, why would there be so much blood?
You make an interesting point.

It really is a trap.
Old man! Wake up!
There's no need to scream. He's already dead.
Take care not to be next.

Come on, come on, come on! Don't let her get away!
Master Zhou!
drat! We're too late!
Frost Haired Rakshasa! It really is you!

I didn't believe Brother Cui when he said you were back, but now I've seen it with my own eyes!
Our gang has no quarrel with you, our leader has never offended you, why did you take his life?
Who ordered you to do this? Our leader was a kind and gentle man, no one ever had a grudge against him?
I take orders from no one. And I did not touch a single hair on your leader's head.
Bah! If you hadn't touched him, why would he be lying dead at your feet? What unforgivable evil! Take revenge for Master!
Is this going to be another fight? Hey, I'm innocent!

We finally get to see Bailu Shuang in combat, if only for the brief time it takes to curbstomp these beggars. Judging from her equipment, which is the good stuff from Relics of our Ancestors, she must actually be one of Ning'er's kinsmen from Taihua Gate. Presumably she was exiled for some reason or other.

Number Two!
Stay back! Your life is more important than revenge! Don't tangle with her!
Elder Zhou... we are too weak...
Bailu Shuang! Remember our Master Zhou's face, one day, I will send you to the underworld to kneel down and apologize to him!

Oh man, looks like one huge misunderstanding there.
Sister Bai, you didn't actually kill their Master Zhou, did you?
Don't be an idiot.

Do you often get blamed for things that aren't your fault?
All the time.
That's not fair, even though you've changed for the better, but you're still being treated like the devil.

Changed for the better?
Right and wrong, good and evil, ethics and morality... all that crap is none of my business.
But you joined Qingtian and assisted Master Li, doesn't that count as changing your ways?
What does that have to do with you?

Alas, what a cowardly group of beggars! Couldn't they have held on a little longer and saved me some trouble? Still, they've served their purpose.
Hmmph! Is there no end to this?

Hehehe. The Frost Haired Rakshasa, Bailu Shuang, was so impressed by Li Yanxian's heroic spirit that she left the Jianghu and disappeared into obscurity.
What a beautiful story. Any storyteller in the teahouse would love to recite that tale.

Unfortunately, her wicked nature was such that she took a bribe from criminals to assassinate the leader of the Beggar's Sect, Zhou Shu. Alas, as the saying goes, it is easier to move mountains and rivers than to change one's nature.
When word gets out from the beggars you allowed to escape, innumerable people will seek you out for revenge.

Hmm... the NoMercy House wants your head, but perhaps I could show it to those people as well?
The Beggar's Sect has so many members far and wide, there is so much they could do for me.

Is it really necessary to explain your villainous scheme?
How ungrateful. I just don't want you to die without knowing why.
I don't have the time to listen to your nonsense.

These NoMercy assassins actually have a really nice technique. The "Death Gate Flying Star" costs a lot of AP but has a chance to refund AP on a combo or false attack. Naturally, they are not too hard to chase off.

Hmm... actually, now that the Beggar's Sect regards you as their blood enemy, we can get their favour by providing them with clues to your whereabouts. Haha, I think we should let you live a few more days!

Ugh, now you're being marked by the Beggar's Sect? Sister Bai, you should at least try to explain things to them!
Do you think they will believe me?
Stop babbling nonsense and find Cui Er for questioning. He took advantage of the chaos to hide.

Ooooh... my lord, forgive me!
Have mercy!

Give me the tiger talisman first.
Yes! Yes, of course, here it is.
Where is Li Yanxian?
This lowly one really doesn't know... I'm just doing what those villains in the NoMercy House told me to do! I had no choice, he said he would kill me otherwise!

What else do you know?
Not much... oh! Yes!
I once heard those villains talking with the Leopard King's men, saying they would cooperate with the Qingtian Fortress's Zhang Yinfei. There is a treasure hidden inside, but no matter how Zhang Yinfei searched, he could not find it!
Treasure? What kind of treasure?
I have no idea. Please, spare my life!

If I ever find out that a single word of what you have said is false, I will return and tear out your tongue.
This little one wouldn't dare! It's all true!
Then get lost.
Getting lost now!

Wow, you actually let him go.
I promised not to kill again.
(It's rare to find a demoness who keeps her word...)

According to that beggar, Zhang Yinfei usurped the leadership of Qingtian Fortress, not just with the help of the Leopard King's Stronghold, but also in collusion with the NoMercy House.
Since they were in possession of Li Yanxian's tiger talisman, they must have captured him as well.
But they have not yet found the treasure they are seeking, so they will have kept him alive to extract clues from.

Li Yanxian... must still be alive...
Let's go check on Wang Zhe at Storm Cloud Crossing.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

The beggar sect is sort of a weird idea to consider, but I suppose it can make sense if you get flexible about it.

sandorius
Nov 13, 2013
Yeah, if you're more familiar with western fantasy, just mentally substitute "Beggar's Sect" with "Thieves' Guild", it's the same general idea.

sandorius
Nov 13, 2013
Update 46: Thick Grows the Rush, Frost-White Dew

Shouldn't the army have guards patrolling this place?
Perhaps they used to. I have heard the army is facing budget issues.
Storm Cloud Crossing is but a small port with shallow anchorage. The army rarely moves anything valuable through here, save at great need.
You mean... like if they had recently lost a significant portion of their operating funds? And needed more from the capital?
I don't think I like where this is going.

At least they've got the common sense to have people guarding their warehouse.
Are you actually planning to rob the military in broad daylight? They've got the place surrounded!
It's night-time now. And they don't have anyone watching the sea.
The seawater is freezing this time of year!
Are you a cultivator or not? Why swim when we can walk on water?

Forgive me, father, I've fallen in with a bunch of criminals...
Brother Siwang, though I trust your judgement on most things, I must say I disapprove of blatant theft.
Come on, big brother, we don't need the money anyway.
Oh, fine. I just wanted to have a look. The cargo's mostly lower-grade medicine anyway.
Perhaps we should get on with our mission? I didn't see Bailu Shuang in the port, where could she possibly be?
Oh, that's easy. What did Siwang first do when we got here?
Start brooding on an overlooking cliff?
Yeah, just look up. See that cliff to the left of where we were? See the white dress?
I must say, Miss He, you display a remarkable insight into the nature of cultivators.
Can't run a horse gang without knowing your customers.

What did we just agree on?
This is different, this is a sutra... oh very well.

One consequence of moving to a new install is that the font seems to have changed. Some of the bugs seem to have resolved themselves too, the Potion of Concentration sutra is no longer blank and Feifei's sidequest can actually be resolved now.

I think the Bei Ming Divine Manual is a modded version of the Northern Stygian Abyss manual we found in Fuxian Academy's library? It must be a reference to some famous wuxia novel or game. This one is considerably more powerful than the one in the base game as it enables life and internal energy drain on attack.

You've finally arrived.
I have been looking around for a long time, but have not seen Wang Zhe. It seems we need to investigate more closely.
But if I show up personally at the ferry, I will attract too much attention.

Got it, just need to find Wang Zhe in Storm Cloud Crossing.
I will survey the nearby mountains, and if I find anything, I will meet up with you again.

This is a pretty easy task because Storm Cloud Crossing has basically no other occupants than the military and also this poor disgruntled cook who keeps getting complaints about his menu.

At the far end of Storm Cloud Crossing, Siwang finds a suspiciously dead guard and an unlocked warehouse door.

Hmm? What's that noise behind the door?

(Would a normal ferry crossing would have a dungeon like this? And who are those people in red? I should stay in the shadows for now and observe.

Look at this sword wound... could be have been Wang Zhe? Hmm, to break into a dungeon silently and rescue someone without alarm, it seems he has more than one trick to his name.
Yes, we caught up with the two in the nearby forest. It was indeed a young swordsman escaping with Li Yanxian.
However, we were no match for them, several brothers died at their hands.

I feared that we would all be wiped out and ordered a retreat so that we could bring back word of his escape. O Wind King, please forgive me.
(Wind King? Never heard of him... are these men in red his subordinates?)
You were right to do so. This place is too close to the General's residence, continuous pursuit would only attract attention, then officers, then soldiers.
Our master has sent in the men of the Leopard King Stronghold to help catch our prey. Li Yanxian was wounded in the escape, was he not?

Yes, before we retreated, we managed to catch Li Yanxian in the shin with a dart. And he was already quite weak from captivity, he won't get far.
You may atone for your failure by capturing the outworlder alive.
(Outworlder? You mean... me!?)

Oops! They noticed me!
You think you can hide from the Wind King with such paltry skills? Naive boy!

This boy is useful to me now, and not yours to dispose of.

Sister Bai! When did you...
Bailu Shuang... I see, you are all Wang Zhe's accomplices, here to stop us from catching up with Li Yanxian.

Very well! Let us discuss the matter more personally! Wind King Tai Feng, please advise me!

I believe The Wind King's given name would translate to typhoon or something like that

The Wind King is a fairly capable fighter but unfortunately outnumbered badly.

He was also courteous enough to let us take the fight outside, I think the game engine would have absolutely noclipped a few of our party members out of bounds if the fight had taken place in the dungeon cell.

The 8 to 1 fight ends badly for the Wind King. He does manage to lay down quite the beating on Zhang Junbao before losing, though.

Wind King! If the fight goes on any longer, we will attract outside attention!
This place has few exits, if soldiers come, we may be trapped here.

... very well. Let's go!
The Wind King actually showed up here... what is the Ming Sect planning?
Ugh, that was scary. Sister Bai, thank you for saving me!

With hiding skills like that, it's a miracle that you have survived until today.
Who exactly are these people? And why did the Wind King recognize me as an outworlder when he saw me?

Those were members of the Ming Sect. It used to have a presence in Central Shu, but they inexplicably disappeared overnight a few years ago.
If I hadn't seen the Wind King with my own eyes today, I would have thought them all dead.

If the Ming Sect captured Li Yanxian and are looking for an outworlder... does that mean they are colluding with the NoMercy House?
The NoMercy House again? Gosh, this organization is really shady.
Don't get distracted. Li Yanxian and Wang Zhe probably didn't get too far in their escape, and it sounds like others are searching for them. We must find them first.

Luckily Wang Zhe left a Qingtian Fortress mark indicating that they fled north, and Siwang duly heads up onto the cliffs to find the escapees.

Wang Zhe looks fine but Li Yanxian is clearly injured.

They are surprised but also glad to see Siwang.

When I found my brother, he was already quite weak, and then he was wounded in the leg, and has lost a great deal of blood...

Li Yanxian!
Oh. You're here too.

Little Zhe, Little Shuang, our pursuers will soon catch up with us, there is something I have to explain first...
No. I'll get you out of here first.
No! Listen to me! You must retrieve my tiger talisman!

Upon hearing that both halves are safe, he explains that the talisman is the key to the fragment of the Book of Heaven he was entrusted with.

The Book of Heaven? Elder brother, why are you bringing up this legend all of a sudden?
It is no legend, and Qingtian Fortress hides a fragment of it.
(What? I came all the way to the edge of the world, and the Book of Heaven was in Qingtian Fortress all along!)

After the war ended, Commander Huang and I were attacked by assassins one night.
Luckily, He Hongyuan and others were patrolling nearby, and were able to save our lives. But the River Map was taken by the NoMercy House Master, and the Book of Heaven itself was broken into several pieces during the fierce fighting.
In order to ensure the NoMercy House would never get its hands on the complete Book of Heaven, we split up and took a fragment each to hide.
My fragment is hidden in a chest underneath the floor of the main hall of Qingtian Fortress. The key is the combination of our tiger talismans.

Why are you talking about all this? Let's get out of here!
I am not strong enough now, I would only slow you down... Little Zhe, take the talismans and leave.

Little Zhe, I charge you to retake Qingtian Fortress, retrieve the fragment of the Book of Heaven, and return it to Commander Huang at Qingcheng Monastery.
(Qingcheng Monastery? Is that where Commander Huang has been hiding?)

Elder brother, don't give up so soon! We can take turns carrying you, we'll surely be able to get away in time!
Give up?
I founded Qingtian Fortress to defend the country against the Wolf Barbarians.
Now the very fate of the world is at stake. Compared to this, and the survival of Qingtian Fortress, what does my own life matter?
Elder brother...
Go!

Unfortunately, they've spent too much time talking.

Master's orders are to capture Li Yanxian alive! Kill the rest!
Ah, I've been stuck in that dungeon for so long, I was itching for a chance to move my muscles...

This humble Li has lost much of his strength, but it should still be enough to deal with a couple of henchmen!
Come! Play with me!

This humble Li has never feared death.
But if I were to die, it would be for the sake of my country! Never at the hands of you bandits!

In a nice touch, Li Yanxian has the "Hunger for the flesh of the Huns" and "Thirst for the blood of the Huns" techniques from the sutra Siwang found in Qingtian Fortress. It's a shame he doesn't really get to use it because these bandits get mown down by the wrath of Thor's Hammer (read: Nokia 3310).

Go back and inform your leaders we escaped to the south, and I'll let you live.
Bah! Do you think I'm some kind of shameless scoundrel?

Kill me if you must, cut me how you will! Don't look down on people like us!
Good. You've got some backbone, at least.
What the?

Some strange dude in a white cloak and mask appears behind Bailu Shuang. Nobody notices except Li Yanxian.

Little Frost! Watch out!

What? Wait... nooooo!

Elder brother!
Li Yanxian...
Li Yanxian. Leader of Qingtian Fortress. You spent your whole life on the battlefield, your very presence scared the Wolf Barbarians to death. To think that such a man would end up getting killed for a woman.

Hrrk... beware... this man is the NoMercy House Master... you are no match for him...
The leader of NoMercy House? You've finally shown up! Your men are pestering me all day, I'm going to settle the score with you today!
Oh? What an unexpected bonus.
Sir, if Li Yanxian doesn't survive, we won't be able to force him to reveal the location of the Book of Heaven fragment!
No matter. Since he refuses to help us, it makes no difference if he lives or dies.

After all, the outworlder is right in front of us, why worry about the fragments of the Book of Heaven?
An outworlder...?
Gui Siwang, hand over everything you have on you, and I may yet spare your life.

NoMercy House Master? Outworlder? Who the hell are you people? How dare you hurt my elder brother and say such things!
As long as I live, you will never lay your hands on the fragment!

Little Zhe, quickly! Take young master Gui away with you, and don't forget what I just told you!
Elder brother! What are you saying? We're brothers, how can I just run for my life?
I'm not asking you to run for your life, I'm asking you to escort the young master away! His life... it may very well be more important than any of us here... arrrgh...
No! Better to die together than separately! Brother Gui, this man is also your enemy, let us fight him together!

Hmmm? Well, if you want to rush to your next reincarnation, then come on.
(Ugh, this man's aura is clearly different, as expected of the leader of NoMercy House...)
Evil thief! If you think this Wang Zhe is afraid of you, you're badly mistaken!

I'm sorry, little Shuang, could you send them on their way?
... sure.

Ow! Hey!
Sister-in-law!

Aren't we supposed to be on the same side?
(...huh? This is a sutra... did she throw it here on purpose?)
What are you doing?
Wang Zhe. Did you not hear Master Li's order?

How can I obey an order like that? Sister-in-law, if it were you, would you follow an order like that?
I have always obeyed Master Li's orders, without exception.
Don't blame me for being merciless if you dare to disobey.
Go!

... That's quite enough of the passionate speech, don't you think? Take them down!

Wang Zhe, Gui Siwang, go!
(Master Li must have realized my identity as an outworlder, hence his order to Wang Zhe to escort me...)
(And also, Wang Zhe is holding on to the tiger talismans needed to open the treasure chest containing the fragment of the Book of Heaven. It would be troublesome for him to die here...)

(Oh! Looks like there's an escape route! If we send Wang Zhe there first, we should have a chance to run.)

The NoMercy House Master has got nearly as much Qi as Siwang (170 vs. ~200) and is a much higher Rank (62 vs. ~40). Normally this would not be a problem, but he has a nasty trick up his sleeve. When Siwang attacks him...

(Ugh! What a thick layer of Qi!)
What's this? Gui Siwang, didn't you want to settle the score with me?
You've been in Central Shu for some time, and you've only trained to this level? And you still want to fight me head on? A fool's errand!
Tch! I've changed my mind, I've got more important things to do than to pester you!
Hahaha! If you can escape, then go ahead! Whether you live or die, no matter how much you struggle, the Book of Heaven will eventually fall into my hands.
Wang Zhe, Gui Siwang, run!

Hmmph. At least the Frost-Haired Rakshasa is a little more impressive. Very well, let us play.
Brother Wang, the Book of Heaven is more important, let us go!
...elder brother, sister-in-law, I'm sorry...

Reinforcements arrive to block off the escape route while the NoMercy House Master targets Bailu Shuang.

And the aforementioned nasty trick manifests itself. He will simply heal himself back to full if he takes any significant damage. Literal plot armor.

With this strength, you dare to be my enemy?
It's called whimsy! Hahahahahaha!

Eventually, Wang Zhe makes it to the escape point.

Sister-in-law! Don't push it! Come with us!
No more talk! This has nothing to do with you, just go and fulfill Master Li's orders!

Wang Zhe, if you dare to fail, you'll feel my wrath! Now go!

I obey.

Hmmph. Bailu Shuang, even if you give up your life here, it will change nothing.
Alive or dead, I have my ways to find the Book of Heaven.

Don't even think about it! As long as I'm standing, you're not going anywhere!
Oh? Such big talk, if you want to die, then I won't stop you.

Shuang... sister Shuang...

Urrgh!
Hmmph. In the end, she did not had the skill to back her words up.
Let us take our leave. She hasn't long to live anyway.

Little Frost... I'm sorry...
There's no need to be.
As stubborn as ever...

A name like water... thick grows the rush...
Frost-white dew...

At the side of the water...

Some time later, Wang Zhe has successfully escaped with Siwang, but is now blaming himself for not being able to save Li Yanxian and Bailu Shuang.

His friend Ma Cong tells him to concentrate on the task left to him by Li Yanxian. If he can complete it successfully, the pair will be able to rest in peace.

Of course.
Even if it costs me my life, I will retake Qingtian Fortress, and retrieve the fragment of the Book of Heaven.
But before that, I must first bury them in the ground. They deserve that much at least.
Brother Gui, it seems we have destiny together. Would you meet me back where they lost their lives?

Luckily there is no ambush or anything by the NoMercy House. There is a brief fade to black as Wang Zhe erects a tomb.

They were not meant to be married in life, but at least they can be buried together in death. Perhaps this will bring their spirits comfort.
So they really were a couple. Why not officially acknowledge it?

Alas, my elder brother has always taken the protection of the families of this country as his own responsibility. Having fought against the Wolf Barbarians all his life, putting his own life on the line time and time again, how could he settle down and allow himself to indulge in love?
Perhaps my sister-in-law was looking forward to a day when the Wolf Barbarians would finally be vanquished, and my elder brother could finally lay down his burden...

Wang Zhe says a few words of parting and Siwang thanks Bailu Shuang for passing on her martial arts sutra to him.

Wang Zhe swears to restore Qingtian Fortress and drive out the Wolf Barbarians once and for all.

He is then interrupted by an old man who compliments him on his ambition.

It appears to be the mysterious old Taoist sage who helped heal Wang Zhe from his internal injuries while he was recovering in Ma Cong's house.

The old sage tries to get Wang Zhe to take up the study of the Tao, but Wang Zhe declines, citing his oath to his elder brother. The old Taoist sage shrugs and says he'll meet Wang Zhe later, then.

Wang Zhe asks Siwang for clarification on this whole "outworlder" or "Heavenly Visitor" business.

Siwang gives a brief recap of the main plot and explains he needs the Book of Heaven to go home.

And with that, Wang Zhe can now be recruited to join Siwang. Although there are already four people (Ning Zhuanhuan, Yan Yushu, Zhang Junbao and He Yuqing) in the party, so someone's gotta go.

Um... Ning'er, do you mind going back to Suishin Island for a while?
What? Why me?
Suishin Island's not that far off, and with your martial arts, you'd be fine going there yourself, so...
I... I can't believe you! Fine!

Are you quite sure that was the best idea, Siwang?
Things are getting more dangerous. I don't want her getting more involved in this NoMercy House business.
What about us, then? You're happy to put us into danger, but not your little sister?
Don't you want revenge for your father's death? Isn't that why you're with us in the first place?
If any of us were the type to back out because of a little danger, Brother Siwang, we would have told you by now. And besides, it is a righteous thing to oppose an evil organization like the NoMercy House.
I couldn't agree more, Brother Zhang.
It's just... it's only been a few hours and she's already sent us a message by horseman.

Hey, you have a message from Zhuan Sun Ning, I can't believe that little brother knows such a lovely girl.

This is the sweet tofu pudding I made, Siwang, try it!
Well, she seems to be in good spirits.

Siwang, did you receive the tofu pudding Ning'er made you? The Taihua Gate elders taught Ning'er to make it, it's our exclusive secret recipe, made with the blessing of the Moon Goddess! Eating it will definitely make your luck better!

How come big brother hasn't come back to me? Although I have the company of everyone on Suishin Island, Ning'er still misses big brother a lot. Snow has not been in a good mood lately, and she is ignoring Ning'er. I really want to go out and take a break!

It's time to decide where to go next and with whom! Please vote:

A - Go to Qingtian Fortress with Wang Zhe and retrieve the fragment of the Book of Heaven.
B - Wipe out the Wolf Barbarians in the northwest, apparently there's more to this sidequest than I thought.
C - Explore Shu Yuji, the jade-panning village, while trying to avoid Li Tan.
D - Finally trigger the gentleman robber Li Tan's quest.

Also, should Siwang give in Ning'er's incessant pleas to come back?

1 - Yes, bring her back into the party, drop Zhang Junbao/He Yuqing/Yan Yushu/Wang Zhe.
2 - No, leave her at Suishin Island, she deserves a peaceful life without NoMercy assassins targeting her.

sandorius fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Sep 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

B, we've almost got an extra piece, might as well go on a long quest that will as likely as not end up netting us another instead.

Also Ning'er needs a small break, to remember that punching people shouldn't be a daily occurrence.

(Actually looking up how pinyin transliterates things is hurting me, I understand that the only possible decisions there are bad but it's still so incredibly terrible.)